• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Got Pulled Over - Had "Furtive Movement" line pulled on me for a "lunge search"

Status
Not open for further replies.
not sure if it's been posted among the mess, but the ACLU's guide to your rights at a traffic stop.

You violated a number of pretty basic expectations, like "keep your hands where police can see them", "stay calm", "be polite", "stopping the car in a safe place as quickly as possible", etc.

If you believe your rights are being violated, the place to challenge the government is in court, not on the road. You should have exercised your right to remain silent.

cwmartin

What are you keeping in your car at risk of being damaged? Faberge eggs under your seats? Set of glass mugs on your floorboard?

You act like a police officer is going to just be tossing stuff out of your car on the side of the road. I don't get it I guess. I'm not storing valuable stuff in my car that needs to be handled like it's going to a museum. The opposition from this just seems to be don't handle my stuff cuz it's my stuff with no concern that police officers may have to search cars for actual reasons.

Hahaha, I'm cracking up that you basically wrote "because reasons" as an explanation for why we should just let the police search our private property upon request.

Forearms

What are you keeping in your car at risk of being damaged? Faberge eggs under your seats? Set of glass mugs on your floorboard?

You act like a police officer is going to just be tossing stuff out of your car on the side of the road. I don't get it I guess. I'm not storing valuable stuff in my car that needs to be handled like it's going to a museum. The opposition from this just seems to be don't handle my stuff cuz it's my stuff with no concern that police officers may have to search cars for actual reasons.

I guess you must not own any electronics (mobile phone, iPod, laptop, etc). What happens if the officer picks up your partially opened bag and your electronics fall out on the ground as a result and become damaged?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
You seriously can't understand why not pulling over immediately can make a cop suspicious?

Cop asks you to step out and you say "why?"

Like do you have any self awareness at all?
yes, your damn right i ask why. I have a right to know why I am being asked to do something.

Sure it wasnt a Dodge Charger with fake lights?
it actually was a dodge charger, but not sure the reference is there with the fake lights.

again, go look up civil forfeiture.

Flo_Evans

I don't understand what is so wild about quetioning why you need to get out of your car. I am fully aware the police can ask you to get out of your car just because.

Which is why I dont fucking get why they never just say "its just a precaution to ensure your safety and mine". They are not Gods, they can answer basic questions to the general public. Wtf is "furtive movements" suppose to mean? What does that accomplish on a basic trafic stop? Why are they avoiding giving badge numbers?

I mean I'm black so I know in the US to just stfu lest I end up on a t-shirt but some of the most basic stuff to deescalate situations are not practiced by police.

Have you ever had someone question everything when you are trying to do your job? Or had kids ask why they need to eat their vegetables?

You are just wasting everyones time by having basic shit explained to you and indicating you are going to be an uncooperative ass by asking stupid questions.

yes, your damn right i ask why. I have a right to know why I am being asked to do something.

it actually was a dodge charger, but not sure the reference is there with the fake lights.

again, go look up civil forfeiture.

Not really. Can you find where this right to question is written down anywhere? Cause its written down that a police officer can legally order you from your car. No where can I find that you must be supplied a reason.

Costa Kid

I can't even fathom how people feel comfortable living in a country with a fear of being shot by the police for literally no reason.

If you examine the footage of the Brussels raids after the terrorist attacks, one tries to run, surrounded by police with assault rifles and yet they just shoot him once in the leg to disable him. That's how a trained and professional police force works.

The police have no guns here and I'm thankful for it every day.

Have you ever had someone question everything when you are trying to do your job? Or had kids ask why they need to eat their vegetables?

You are just wasting everyones time by having basic shit explained to you and indicating you are going to be an uncooperative ass by asking stupid questions.

I don't have a gun, complete authoity and a responsbility to the public so who fucking cares what my job is like.

It's not a waste of time for police to explain procedure to citizens when "reaching into your pocket" can end up with you having 3 bullets in your chest. Get outta here with that bullshit. It's not hard to use your words to descalate a situation. He's giving speedong tickets, not stopping armed robbery.

Pollux

Arizona v Gant is dealing with searches incident to arrest. Officers can no longer search your car after you've been arrested and removed from the vehicle unless probable cause exists. Not the scenario in the OP. That case doesn't apply here for a protective sweep.
True. But also keep in mind that there are numerous exceptions to probable cause to search vehicles after an arrest. For example, inventory searches.

ColdPizza

Banned
There's a huge difference between knowing your rights and THINKING you know your rights. Most people don't know what police can and can't do. Outside of potentially being assholes (probably as a result of the ops actions), they didn't do anything to violate his rights here. Should they have not had the attitude they did? Sure that's easy to say. But that's a minor complaint as opposed to a rights violation here which did not happen.

It probably wasn't the case here, but you do realize some police depend on ordinary citizens not knowing what they can and can't do to infringe on their rights (probably in an effort to just get on with their jobs)? That's where these issues come into play.

No offense but you sound like one of those libertarian idiots who record cops and tell them what right they do or do not have. Just do as they say and defuse the situation quick. Why ask so many questions? Why Fuck with these guys?

I don't see what's idiotic about believing that law enforcement should, you know, follow the law.

Do you think that adult citizens should be treated like children? Just because they aren't police?

Flo_Evans

I don't have a gun, complete authoity and a responsbility to the public so who fucking cares what my job is like.

It's not a waste of time for police to explain procedure to citizens when "reaching into your pocket" can end up with you having 3 bullets in your chest. Get outta here with that bullshit. It's not hard to use your words to descalate a situation. He's giving speedong tickets, not stopping armed robbery.

He is puling over someone who took their sweet time pulling over, then stalling. How do you think that looks to the cop? Its not their job to educate you on your rights and responsibilities when driving, ask questions in drivers ed.

Will F

What rights am I giving up by complying with their requests to search my car? If they want to filthy their hands digging at the random debris that falls under my car seat - go ahead. Oh noes, hope they don't find my car owner's manual I have hidden in my glove box. Oh shit I got some foldout lawn chairs in my trunk, please don't take me to jail! I want your badge number, I have 5 pennies in my cup holder, they better still be there officer! xD

You are potentially giving up the rights afforded to you by the 4th amendment to the Constitution against unreasonable search and seizure by the government. To be fair, given the information in this thread the police probably did have the right to search part of the car without consent, but they are trained law enforcement officers and could have been professionals, it doesn't mean they had to be jackasses about it.

I've lived in countries with repressive governments and police forces, it can get pretty horrible. I'm not going to start giving up my rights as an American just because it's a little inconvenient and I just want to get on with going about my day.

ironmang

No, the cop is wasting everyones time by fishing instead of just giving him a speeding ticket and fucking off.

You got off on the wrong foot in the officer's eyes by not pulling over fast enough and escalated the situation by your comments and actions. That's the opposite approach to handling an interaction with police.

While you acknowledge that your privilege likely helped you survive the encounter, but in the moment you sounded more interested in pissing them off than protecting your rights or making it home. Be careful out there I guess.

He is puling over someone who took their sweet time pulling over, then stalling. How do you think that looks to the cop?

Why the fuck does that matter? If a citizen is asking you a question, it takes 10s to give them an answer. Again, this isn't God, this isn't do as your told or I have right to blow your brains out. You can inform a citizen about procedure.

Its not their job to educate you on your rights and responsibilities when driving, ask questions in drivers ed.

Their job is to serve the public. They arent doing any fucking god defined duty giving tickets for speeding. And even if the officer is breaking the law and you point that out you think they are gonna be like "oh fuck true"? Asking questions is not some shit officers should see as an annoyance when the basis is sound. They aren't above that. If you think they are come down to earth.

It's crazy how people wanna kiss cop ass so much descalation is an annoyance.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Ok I'm going to attempt to explain what the officers did and why from my 15 years as a police officer. You can feel free to disagree, and I'm not going to say the officers handled it in the best possible way, but hear me out. I don't normally post in these threads anymore because of the overwhelming anti-cop sentiment (often justifiable, often not) on this board.

A furtive movement is something that appears to a trained officer to be movements that are suspicious and can possibly believed to be trying to conceal something which may be dangerous. You admit that it took you longer to pull over than it should have because you didn't see or hear the officer behind you. Look at this through the eyes of the officer. Most good drivers check their rearview and side mirrors every 5-10 seconds. Couple that with moving to take a drink (which the officer obviously can't see) and you shifting your transmission (again can't see from behind), give the impression that you may be intentionally hiding something before you pull over. That's furtive movement.

Now he asked you to step out of the car because a) the movement could indicate that you were hiding a weapon under your seat (a reasonable assumption based on you not pulling over and your body movement) and b) the officer doesn't need a reason to ask you to step out of the vehicle. We can have ever person get out of the vehicle on every traffic stop if we so choose.

After stepping out of the car, when the officer looked in your window, he was looking at the seat and center console area for anything dangerous or in plain view. He does not need your permission to look in your window. If you were still sitting in your car, would he not be looking in the window to talk to you? Dropping your "I don't consent to any searches" that you learned on YouTube doesn't earn you any points with police.

Now add the fact that you put your hands in your pockets. Officers are trained to watch people's hands very closely. He already believed you might have a weapon in the vehicle, it wouldn't be unreasonable to make the connection that instead of putting a weapon under your seat, you could have also put it in your pants, which is why he yelled at you to not do that. The smartass comment about not wanting to be shot didn't help your case.

There is supreme Court case law on exactly what the officer told you. Just like Terry v Ohio allows pat downs for weapons without probable cause, there is another case that does the same for vehicles. I've never heard of the term "lunge area" but it's more commonly referred to as areas of immediate control. Which from the seat where the person in question was sitting, is anything that is within reach. Typically under the driver's seat, front floor, glove box, center console, and under passenger seat. No warrant or probable cause is needed for these searches for weapons.

The second officer was there because that often happens if another officer happens by during a traffic stop of another officer. Or he could have called for backup since he thought you might have a gun.

So the not pulling over and your body movement from the officers perspective from behind you made him believe you were hiding a weapon. This is called reasonable articulable suspicion and can be used to pat you down or do a protective sweep of your vehicle without your consent.

The key is that the officer has to be able to articulate it. And in this case based on what you admitted to, the officers did meet that threshold of reasonableness.

Now you can argue that they were rude or whatever, but that's secondary to everything else.

Hope that helps

Just quoting for the new page because this post is fantastic.

OP - sorry the cops came off as rude, but your general attitude reminds me of some of those terrible YouTube videos of 18-22 year old kids being all, "YOU DO NOT HAVE MY CONSENT YOU DO NOT HAVE MY CONSENT I AM RECORDING YOU!"

The situation was a bit unfortunate, but live and learn I guess! Glad it didn't escalate beyond some verbal exchanges.

IrishNinja

shoulda told him I ain't stepping out of shit, all my papers legit

for real, ive never been clear on their ability to pull you out for whatever, lawyers say otherwise all the time

Flo_Evans

Why the fuck does that matter? If a citizen is asking you a question, it takes 10s to give them an answer. Again, this isn't God, this isn't do as your told or I have right to blow your brains out. You can inform a citizen about procedure.

Their job is to serve the public. They arent doing any fucking god defined duty giving tickets for speeding. And even if the officer is breaking the law and you point that out you think they are gonna be like "oh fuck true"? Asking questions is not some shit officers should see as an annoyance when the basis is sound. They aren't above that. If you think they are come down to earth.

It's crazy how people wanna kiss cop ass so much descalation is an annoyance.

Yes a cops job is to serve the public. Not as a teacher but to enforce the laws. People driving around oblivious like the OP are a clear danger on the road and its the cops duty to see what the fuck is up with this guy.

Didn't notice lights and sirens behind you is a pretty big red flag you are drunk or stoned out of your mind.

Yes a cops job is to serve the public. Not as a teacher but to enforce the laws.

How do you enforce the law when you aren't willing to actually inform people of the law? Serious question. Your logic is some if the silliest crap. By your standard, people have no right to aak the police questions. The officers says dance monkey, you dance. You ask why "oh its not my job to teach you, I dont have to say shit". This is stupid, really think about what you are promoting.

People driving around oblivious like the OP are a clear danger on the road and its the cops duty to see what the fuck is up with this guy.

Didn't notice lights and sirens behind you is a pretty big red flag you are drunk or stoned out of your mind.

None of this matters as to my point. A citizen asks you why they need to leave their vehicle. You can give an answer in an attempt to deescalate or you can be a douchebag on a power trip and just demand it. You support being a dick. Why? Because God with a gun doesn't have time for 10s off his important ticket quota duty?

shoulda told him I ain't stepping out of shit, all my papers legit

for real, ive never been clear on their ability to pull you out for whatever, lawyers say otherwise all the time

There's a law review article that examines the scene in 99 Problems and discusses the law behind it and whether he's right or not. Just google "Jay Z law review" and grab the document cloud link.

Forearms

Just quoting for the new page because this post is fantastic.

OP - sorry the cops came off as rude, but your general attitude reminds me of some of those terrible YouTube videos of 18-22 year old kids being all, "YOU DO NOT HAVE MY CONSENT YOU DO NOT HAVE MY CONSENT I AM RECORDING YOU!"

The situation was a bit unfortunate, but live and learn I guess! Glad it didn't escalate beyond some verbal exchanges.

Get out of here with this bullshit. He complied with the request to get out of the car (asked why, but still complied), provided his license and registration, but did not want them going through his personal property. It's perfectly acceptable to want to film them riffling through his stuff for future evidence should anything happen that isn't on the up-and-up. Especially so since the officer's body cam happened to "stop working" before the search commenced.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
love to place the responsibility of avoiding escalation solely on the one being searched

really this is my biggest gripe. The onus should be on the trained professional to de-escalate someone. I am not trained to deal with the general public, angry people or anything along those lines. However, we've seen time and time again, that police in america are not generally trained properly to de-escalate, deal with the mentally ill, deal with anyone that has a weapon, other than to shoot them. In my opinion they are generally trained to assume guilt of everyone and to try and get people to incriminate themselves. Is my perspective biased, of course it is, i don't trust the police at all, after what we've seen, very publicly i might add, the last few years.

Anyway i think the thread has run its course, some people think i did everything wrong and should kowtow to every last request from a police officer, some believe i did some things wrong and the police did some things wrong, and some believe the police did everything wrong.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. I'm out, thanks everyone for participating.

Flo_Evans

How do you enforce the law when you aren't willing to actually inform people of the law? Serious question. Your logic is some if the silliest crap. By your standard, people have no right to aak the police questions. The officers says dance monkey, you dance. You ask why "oh its not my job to teach you, I dont have to say shit". This is stupid, really think about what you are promoting.

None of this matters as to my point. A citizen asks you why they need to leave their vehicle. You can give an answer in an attempt to deescalate or you can be a douchebag on a power trip and just demand it. You support being a dick. Why? Because God with a gun doesn't have time for 10s off his important ticket quota duty?

This is such a strange view. It is your duty to educate yourself about the laws surrounding operating a motor vehicle before driving. There is even a test!

What would be a satisfactory answer for the cop to give in the OP's situation? "I suspect you are hiding weapons or drugs, and are possibly drunk" then what? You say "oh no I'm not" and the officer lets you on your way?

There is a reason most legal experts say to STFU when dealing with cops. You can play 20 questions if you like but if you goal is to take your ticket and leave you are doing it wrong.

Forearms

This is such a strange view. It is your duty to educate yourself about the laws surrounding operating a motor vehicle before driving. There is even a test!

What would be a satisfactory answer for the cop to give in the OP's situation? "I suspect you are hiding weapons or drugs, and are possibly drunk" then what? You say "oh no I'm not" and the officer lets you on your way?

There is a reason most legal experts say to STFU when dealing with cops. You can play 20 questions if you like but if you goal is to take your ticket and leave you are doing it wrong.

No one is suggesting that the officer should implicitly trust the person they're stopping. What we're suggesting is that the officer should indeed give a reason as to why he wants you to step out of the vehicle. Stating, "I suspect you are hiding weapons or drugs, and are possibly drunk" would be a completely fine reply to the question "Why?". It would also be much clearer than "You were making furtive movements."

So you do even read the posts you respond to? It was in the very first post I made to you:

Which is why I dont fucking get why they never just say "its just a precaution to ensure your safety and mine".

Whoa, how hard is that? Even "There is a posibility of a weapon in the vehicle so I need you to step out" is fine as well. How about a basic clear answer so citizens can feel like peoplw and not objects?

And the drivers test you wrote had questions about police encounters? Thorough test. Mine was signs and road rules.

Negaduck

There's no law requiring officers to produce badge numbers on demand, although in this case I believe OP said the officer wrote it on the ticket.

Also while the officer will produce the radar in court if challenged, theyre not required to show it to you on the side of the road.

Thanks for the clarification! Appreciate it fam.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Get out of here with this bullshit. He complied with the request to get out of the car (asked why, but still complied), provided his license and registration, but did not want them going through his personal property. It's perfectly acceptable to want to film them riffling through his stuff for future evidence should anything happen that isn't on the up-and-up. Especially so since the officer's body cam happened to "stop working" before the search commenced.

I'm not the only one that made the comment. But you know the videos I'm talking about. And the post I quoted explained why the OP wasn't necessarily in the right during the "confrontation".

So...No. I'm not going to "get out of here with this bullshit". Sorry mate.

Forearms

I'm not the only one that made the comment. But you know the videos I'm talking about. And the post I quoted explained why the OP wasn't necessarily in the right during the "confrontation".

So...No. I'm not going to "get out of here with this bullshit". Sorry mate.

That's fine. Keep painting the OP as something completely different than what is in those videos. Have a nice day.

Furitive movements is you shaking like a leaf looking super damn guilty probably. I don't get why people can't just play it cool, get your ticket and leave?

Even if you had a box with 12" subwoofers and the craziest pair of 6X9's you would still hear that whoop whoop.

"I didn't hear/see" is no excuse, it you were paying attention to your surroundings you would have noticed.

But then putting your hands in your pockets? Making comments like "I don't want to get shot"
Why? Why was that necessary? Just say "it's in my back pocket ok?" Wait for confirmation and then reach for it.

Video recording them? Come on bro, asking them if they were trained to desculate a situation? If I was that cop I would be praying to find drugs in your car at that point for making a routine stop more work than it had to be.

OP I know I'm coming across harsh, I've had run in with the cops more times than I care to admit, but damn man.......Rookie mistake after rookie mistake. A cop tells you to jump you say how high. You don't mess around.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Furitive movements is you shaking like a leaf looking super damn guilty probably. I don't get why people can't just play it cool, get your ticket and leave?

Police officers can often make innocent people feel nervous and they have reason to be, considering what we see on the news on a regular basis.

Glix

Everything else in this thread aside, and there is a lot, lol...

I am certainly no lover of police but you gotta know better then to stick your hands in your pockets in front of a cop. He has every right to do something a lot more severe than what you had to deal with at that point.

I mean, have you ever interacted with the police in any manner before? Thats, like, the first rule in the book. No sudden movements and hands where they can see them.

"thats just what I do naturally with my hands" is nonsense and would not hold up in court.

love to place the responsibility of avoiding escalation solely on the one being searched

Well, the one being searched by cops has the most to lose in a confrontation with cops.

Yes, police should be better trained but relying on them to remain cool and calm hasn't worked out too great for some people.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed. The dude with the uniform and the gun and the power can do what he wants, but it's the (potential) victim's duty to obey in complete silence. Otherwise the latter is at fault for escalating, while the former is doing the right thing because that's the way it is. That is bullshit.

Police officers can often make innocent people feel nervous and they have reason to be, considering what we see on the news on a regular basis.
I'm not saying my heart doesnt still race, but I'm also not driving around with a ounce of weed in my car these days. If you make his job easy, you get let go. You were speeding? Say it "I was speeding and I understand if you have to give me a ticket"

Getting a ticket is better than being thrown in the back of a squad car for mouthing off

I commend you OP.

Those murdering racist POS's need to feel uncomfortable, they make members of modern society feel very uncomfortable every single day, they deserve a taste of their own medicine.

Sulik2

Ok I'm going to attempt to explain what the officers did and why from my 15 years as a police officer. You can feel free to disagree, and I'm not going to say the officers handled it in the best possible way, but hear me out. I don't normally post in these threads anymore because of the overwhelming anti-cop sentiment (often justifiable, often not) on this board.

A furtive movement is something that appears to a trained officer to be movements that are suspicious and can possibly believed to be trying to conceal something which may be dangerous. You admit that it took you longer to pull over than it should have because you didn't see or hear the officer behind you. Look at this through the eyes of the officer. Most good drivers check their rearview and side mirrors every 5-10 seconds. Couple that with moving to take a drink (which the officer obviously can't see) and you shifting your transmission (again can't see from behind), give the impression that you may be intentionally hiding something before you pull over. That's furtive movement.

Now he asked you to step out of the car because a) the movement could indicate that you were hiding a weapon under your seat (a reasonable assumption based on you not pulling over and your body movement) and b) the officer doesn't need a reason to ask you to step out of the vehicle. We can have ever person get out of the vehicle on every traffic stop if we so choose.

After stepping out of the car, when the officer looked in your window, he was looking at the seat and center console area for anything dangerous or in plain view. He does not need your permission to look in your window. If you were still sitting in your car, would he not be looking in the window to talk to you? Dropping your "I don't consent to any searches" that you learned on YouTube doesn't earn you any points with police.

Now add the fact that you put your hands in your pockets. Officers are trained to watch people's hands very closely. He already believed you might have a weapon in the vehicle, it wouldn't be unreasonable to make the connection that instead of putting a weapon under your seat, you could have also put it in your pants, which is why he yelled at you to not do that. The smartass comment about not wanting to be shot didn't help your case.

There is supreme Court case law on exactly what the officer told you. Just like Terry v Ohio allows pat downs for weapons without probable cause, there is another case that does the same for vehicles. I've never heard of the term "lunge area" but it's more commonly referred to as areas of immediate control. Which from the seat where the person in question was sitting, is anything that is within reach. Typically under the driver's seat, front floor, glove box, center console, and under passenger seat. No warrant or probable cause is needed for these searches for weapons.

The second officer was there because that often happens if another officer happens by during a traffic stop of another officer. Or he could have called for backup since he thought you might have a gun.

So the not pulling over and your body movement from the officers perspective from behind you made him believe you were hiding a weapon. This is called reasonable articulable suspicion and can be used to pat you down or do a protective sweep of your vehicle without your consent.

The key is that the officer has to be able to articulate it. And in this case based on what you admitted to, the officers did meet that threshold of reasonableness.

Now you can argue that they were rude or whatever, but that's secondary to everything else.

Hope that helps

Thanks for this. It makes the cops actions seem much more reasonable then how the OP described them from his viewpoint only.

RedStep

I commend you OP.

Those murdering racist POS's need to feel uncomfortable, they make members of modern society feel very uncomfortable every single day, they deserve a taste of their own medicine.

Do you honestly think any of the cops involved felt "uncomfortable", much less anything but "annoyed"?

It's really easy to annoy people. That's not some huge accomplishment.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I commend you OP.

Why is this sort of shit OK to post? Did you read the entire OP followed by the explanation by Hey Seuss? Because it sounds like you didn't. The officers in question were justified in their actions.

That's fine. Keep painting the OP as something completely different than what is in those videos. Have a nice day.

I only said it reminds me of it - not that it was a recreation of those videos. I just find that more often than not, people who pull that shit don't know what they're actually doing. I mean, it was pointed out that he was incorrect in some of his assumptions. And that's OK. It's up to everyone to educate themselves so that, put in a similar situation, they know exactly how they can safely navigate the confrontation.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I commend you OP.

This is also not the right way to look at the issue. The majority of cops are not "murdering racist piece of shits."

So cops can just freely search this "lunge area" without consent? No thanks, I'd take exception to that as well.
It's the most common area to knock something off your lap so the cop doesn't see it when he steps up to the window. If a cop See's you doing that and you say "nothing" when he asks....Then yeah you just lied to his face and just gave him cause.

OPs description of this occurrence is exactly how I picture my dumb ass brother acting when he got pulled over smoking weed in high school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom