• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham City Impostors |OT| What happens when you mix Modern Warfare with crack?

Spy

5lkJU.jpg

Information

Developer: Monolith Productions
Publisher: Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
Genre: First-person shooter
Platform: PC, Playstation 3, Xbox 360
Release: February 7th, 2012
Online Play: 12 Versus

Screenshots

qZDQ4.jpg

1XNYE.jpg

7QJlT.jpg

acVvv.jpg

Media

Official Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTBgZybSLGg

Gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjfs96lulHo

Reviews

1UP B+
Game Informer 8/10
Gamespot 7.5/10
Giant Bomb 4/5
IGN 7/10

Odrion

Banned
There seems to be micro-transactions out of the butt in this game, if they're trying to go in that route. They should've made it a F2P.

The matchmaking on 360 is still broken, but not super-broken like in the beta. Shotgun and ice beam suck now, so I guess I wasted two unlocks.

Spy

There seems to be micro-transactions out of the butt in this game, if they're trying to go in that route. They should've made it a F2P.
You can unlock everything without having to pay by using coins you earn after each game, it just takes much longer. Gameplay isn't affected by any item that costs money.

Is it still laggy as fuck the beta well I played in like december it was soooo laggy. If its not ill buy it but that lag is preventing me.

I haven't experienced any lag in a match.

I thought the XBLA trial was very fun. Definitely a mix of CoD and TF2 in my opinion. Gliding around the map and dive bombing into people never gets old.

Kikarian

Does anyone know what the 'Mascot' does? I seems to be a quite pointless thing.
I heard it follows you around am I correct? If so what happens when you use the smoke bomb to go invisible, will the mascot be visible?

Spy

The next chapter of Impostors, yours for free!

Thank you. Thank you for the valuable feedback you gave us during the beta. Thank you for your time chatting with us on our forums, Twitter, and Facebook. And most of all, thank you for your support. Now, what say we get down to thanking you the way that you deserve to be thanked - with free stuff!

But, first things first - know that when the game launches it’ll do so with the assistance of an army of new dedicated servers to drastically reduce latency issues. Along with that we’ve slightly decreased the Thunder Dragon’s damage to put it on a more even playing field, fixed the quick-scope exploit, made other weapon balance tweaks and even spent some additional time optimizing maps to help with some frame-rate issues. (Oh, and we added some more Calling Card unlocks at the early levels. So, enjoy those!)

But we’re not stopping with that. In March we’re going to release our very first DLC for the low, low price of FREE. Just what’s in store for the first Gotham City Impostors DLC? Let us tell you!

A BRAND NEW MAP: The 25th Floor of the Gotham Times building is about to be your playground for destruction! (Just make sure not to fall of the edge.)
JOIN-IN-PROGRESS: Players can now join a match, even after it has started!
MATCHMAKING FIXES: Matchmaking has been totally revamped! Those errors you remember? They’re a thing of the past. Gone. Finito.
NEW WEAPONS: The Falcon Blade (a bullet-blocking katana worthy of warfare in Gotham) and the Kingmaker (a quick-draw pistol that can humble even the mightiest of Mighties) are available for you to unlock!
A NEW SUPPORT ITEM: Toxic Gas! Leave a cloud of nigh-invisible noxious vapors in your wake, that will impair and damage those foolish enough to follow you.
A MULTITUDE OF NEW COSTUME CHOICES: In addition to the myriad of costume items already available, we’re letting you dress up like a luchador, a corporate schlub gone mad, and so much more!
NEW FUN FACT: The new Nimble Fingers Fun Fact will let you capture Gasblasters faster, and attach/detach batters quicker. The team’s clutch player? Yeah, that’s you.
MUTE EARLY, MUTE OFTEN: Ever wanted to squelch that guy blasting techno in the pre-game lobby? Now you can! Easy peezy, lemon squeezy.

Gotham City Impostors is a living, breathing game. We’re here to support you. So go ahead and enjoy this first pack of excitement on us. And, while you're at it, enjoy this special word from our producers.

See you in Gotham!

http://www.gothamcityimpostors.com/...-The-next-chapter-of-Impostors-yours-for-free!

I really enjoyed the beta so I picked it up on the PS3 (haven't had a chance to play it though).

I generally suck at FPS games but all the different movement items really hooked me. Flying, grappling, skating... all so much fun. Even if I die a lot I can still have fun just moving around the map and completing some objectives

The graphics look more blurry at times, especially the vaseline filter look when the camera zooms in on you when the match begins. In-match I haven't noticed a difference.

sleepykyo

Picked it up on the PS3. Frame rate and lag are a bit off. Ugly too.

But it is still pretty fun. Zipping around and dive bombing are pretty interesting.

U2NUMB

Trying to play the trial game. Enjoyed the beta but I have been sitting in a lobby by myself for about 10 min. Is the game dead online out of the gate?

Trying to play the trial game. Enjoyed the beta but I have been sitting in a lobby by myself for about 10 min. Is the game dead online out of the gate?

What version? I played the 360 version for 3 hours last night and didn't have a problem with matchmaking.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I'm totally loving it. The Fumigation gametype is a great little tug-of-war.

Favorite builds so far:
Burly bodytype, SMG + Freeze Gun, Bear Traps, Glider Rig
Speedy bodytype, Shotgun + Motivator, Trap-in-the-Box, Rollerskates

Dunno why there's no buzz for this, the varied mobility alone makes it fun as hell. Matchmaking seems fine on 360.

This game looks like someone put copies of MW2 and TF2 into a woodchipper, and mixed that with a smashed up DVD of the 1960s Batman TV show... and finally snorting the result.

I'm pretty interested, but I won't pick it up until it comes down in price, judging by some of the impressions.

robot

I only got to try Team Deathmatch and it surprised at how much fun I had. This was the first year I actually played multiplayer in CoD so this whole thing is new to me. I still have a few years before I'm sick of it all.

Are any of the game types like MW3 Domination? I'm sure it's called a million other things but honestly it's only time I've played that game type, and it's a blast.

Edit: Looks like one of the modes is just like Domination. Just bought the game, really fun. A nice break from the sometimes too serious MW3. And I'm better in this game too!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I'd totally buy this if I didn't think that the community was going to be nonexistent within 3-5 months. It does look fun, though.

web01

Loved the beta on PS3 but i tried the trial version of the full game that gives you 60minutes of playtime and matchmaking is dead empty. Takes forever to get into a game and most games start with 8 players. Most of the time is waiting in half empty lobbies for players to join so the game can start and frustrstration when people begin quitting because they are too impatient to wait. No join in progress and no server browser is killing this game as soon as it has released. In the beta i got into games almost instantly. And in the full version trial players match with full version owners so its only gonna get worse.

Really disappointed because the gameplay is fantastic. might try again in a few days and see if it improves but at ths point in time not going to buy it. Anyone know what the 360 and PC matchmaking is like?

Ryan from GB said this well on the TNT, if you're not getting the game from the first month then don't bother with these smaller games as the communities come and go like flies. Almost like they're trading for new games the next month...

I hope Monolith all the best, it looks hilarious and creative enough to stand out in the multiplayer FPS crowd.

Ryan from GB said this well on the TNT, if you're not getting the game from the first month then don't bother with these smaller games as the communities come and go like flies. Almost like they're trading for new games the next month...

I hope Monolith all the best, it looks hilarious and creative enough to stand out in the multiplayer FPS crowd.

Are there server browsers?

I like the game. Shame, it'll probably die out in a few weeks :-/ really liking the theme and frankly I'm sick of realistic shooters.

Card Boy

Banned
Is it GFWL on Steam? As in, do I have to sign into a gamertag to play?

Yes. GFWL everywhere.

From the Steam page.

Notice: To activate the downloadable content after your purchase, launch Gotham City Imposters and copy the Product Code from the Steam overlay into your clipboard. Once the game launches and the Gamertag sign-in process completes, press the Home key to bring up the Games for Windows Live overlay. Click Gamertag, select Redeem Code, and paste in the Product Code to initiate the download process. Alternatively, Product Code for the downloadable content may be redeemed from a web browser at https://live.xbox.com/RedeemToken.

Don't buy it, send Warner Brothers a message. Who cares if they abandon PC as a result, there are thousands of other shooters on the market.

Ken

Yes. GFWL everywhere.

From the Steam page.

Don't buy it, send Warner Brothers a message. Who cares if they abandon PC as a result, there are thousands of other shooters on the market.

Gross. The game looks great but yeah, I don't want to deal with GFWL.

zap

I love this game. I have been playing it since the Beta in Dec. I just bought it today and my flatmate and I played around 3-4 hours.

I like the new maps, though I am super hyped for the free DLC! Definitely worth my $$

sleepykyo

Kind of regret buying it on the ps3 . The matchmaking takes longer than some matches . And once the matches start the room does not refill ‚ which leads to a lot of 5 v 3 crap. Should have learned from Eat Lead there isn't much of a player base for the smaller shooters.

Amir0x

Banned
Needed about 3 more maps, but it's extremely fun. Good gunplay mechanics, very arcade and far more skill-based than some other FPS recently. I approve.

Kikarian

I'm debating whether to switch to the nimble (girl) character type. I currently have the small, quick guy. I like the 'Assassin' type class, SMG and sniper with the smoke bomb. But I notice people who have a similar class type choose the girl character type.

I know it can be personal preference...

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I'm having a blast with this game. At first I was put off by all the unlockables, but I'm earning coins and levels at a pretty good clip.

Matchmaking is hit or miss. It's easy to get into a game quickly if you're by yourself, but if you have a party it can be a pain at times on XBox.

All in all, by the time the community dies, I will have gotten my $15 worth for sure.

I'm debating whether to switch to the nimble (girl) character type. I currently have the small, quick guy. I like the 'Assassin' type class, SMG and sniper with the smoke bomb. But I notice people who have a similar class type choose the girl character type.

I know it can be personal preference...

I've seen a tendency of really high level people going for the biggest character with damage and health perks and rocking a machine gun. It's a bit of a pain, but I'm not having too much trouble with them. I'm going with the 'normal' body type, assault rifle, shotgun, boomerang, and grappling hook.

robot

Slowly getting into a comfortable loadout. Submachine gun for close battles, and a mix between the missle launcher and heavy machine gun for distance. Pipe bombs are great in this game, I've been getting really good with em. And pretty sure I'm the only person who uses spring shoes, really wish you could shoot after a spring jump.

I just wish you could get mod/weapon unlocks a bit faster. I bought a mod I wasnt happy with and kind of wasted the unlock there.

Feel free to add me on 360 (pepperjack). Would be great to get some gaf matches but doesnt look like many people bought it on here. Anyone know if you can join as parties and play on the same team - kind of like clans?

Korosenai

I love this game so much, i've been playing it nonstop since I bought it.

I love the gatekeeper smg and the persuader shotgun. Mix those with invisibility, and you get yourself tons of kills.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Slowly getting into a comfortable loadout. Submachine gun for close battles, and a mix between the missle launcher and heavy machine gun for distance. Pipe bombs are great in this game, I've been getting really good with em. And pretty sure I'm the only person who uses spring shoes, really wish you could shoot after a spring jump.

I just wish you could get mod/weapon unlocks a bit faster. I bought a mod I wasnt happy with and kind of wasted the unlock there.

Feel free to add me on 360 (pepperjack). Would be great to get some gaf matches but doesnt look like many people bought it on here. Anyone know if you can join as parties and play on the same team - kind of like clans?

You can join parties and be on the same team. Also apparently if you sign up for the WBID thing, you can set up clans.

Didn't really like the spring shoes based on the challenges, but I did run into someone who was bouncing around like a madman blowing people away with their rocket launcher!

Chittagong

Gold Member
This has to be the laziest OT ever. I was looking forward to learning something about the ame since there seems to be some buzz, but seems that was not meant to be.

sleepykyo

PC version has you waiting in matchmaking more than actually playing.

Does the PC version refill the room after the match starts? Right now the PS3 version doesn't refill the room and doesn't auto-balance properly. 6-3, not a problem as far the PS3 version is concerned.

Top Bottom