• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

Effect

Was really curious as to where they were going to go with the other customers. Good decision by having him not harm them.

Effect

Gotham police: so bad you can't even turn yourself in properly lol

lol

They're handling Freeze pretty well. He's been one of my favorite Batman villians for a long time and he should be handled with care and given the right amount of attention. I also like that Nora wasn't willing to turn on Victor as well.

Also BD Wong is great as Hugo Strange!

Oddduck

AV Club gives this episode a B.

Ultimately, “Wrath Of The Villains: Mr. Freeze” does an admirable job of doing a soft reset. With Theo Galavan out of the picture, Gotham puts in the work to establish a new threat to the city, and the show’s sudden interest in backstory is, at the very least, a promising sign that perhaps Gotham won’t drop the ball with this particular villain. Add to that the fact that Gordon is harboring a secret that could alienate him from the ones he loves and put him in prison, and there’s suddenly some stakes in a season that’s largely avoided dramatic tension or compelling storytelling.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Gotham is back?!
AND I MISSED IT?!
DAMN.
2 hours of TV a weeknight is unsustainable!

I suppose this is not a stretch (and I'm probably not the first to speculate about it), but I have a feeling that since Jim and Leslie are expecting a baby (the two actors are having a baby together in real life, by the way), something will happen that influences the name. I think Barbra Kean will ultimately do something that redeems herself in Jim's eyes. But, it's something that ends with her death. If this happens, I wouldn't be surprised if the baby is a girl and Jim asks Leslie if they can name her Barbra as a tribute to what Barbra Kean did. This way, we'd finally have a Barbra Gordon on the show. Presumably, she'd be the future Batgirl/Oracle. My reasoning is, I think at this point a child of Jim is the only way we will ever see a character named Barbra Gordon on the show, as I just can't see any reasonable way for Barbra Kean to become Jim's girlfriend/eventual wife again. When the show started, I figured it would be two options, 1: It's like the Nolan-verse where Barbara is Jim's wife or 2: It's like the typical Batman where Barbra is Jim's daughter (and becomes Batgirl/Oracle). For a while I thought it was option 1 or both options 1 and 2. But then they really went places with Barbra, eliminating the first option (most likely). So if it is option 2, and the daughter is named Barbra, I can't imagine Jim and Leslie name her that unless Barbra Kean does something like I mentioned above. Of course, there is a third option in which the baby is named something else, but I find that to be no fun!

Oddduck

I think Barbra Kean will ultimately do something that redeems herself in Jim's eyes. But, it's something that ends with her death. If this happens, I wouldn't be surprised if the baby is a girl and Jim asks Leslie if they can name her Barbra as a tribute to what Barbra Kean did. This way, we'd finally have a Barbra Gordon on the show. Presumably, she'd be the future Batgirl/Oracle. My reasoning is, I think at this point a child of Jim is the only way we will ever see a character named Barbra Gordon on the show, as I just can't see any reasonable way for Barbra Kean to become Jim's girlfriend/eventual wife again. When the show started, I figured it would be two options, 1: It's like the Nolan-verse where Barbara is Jim's wife or 2: It's like the typical Batman where Barbra is Jim's daughter (and becomes Batgirl/Oracle). For a while I thought it was option 1 or both options 1 and 2. But then they really went places with Barbra, eliminating the first option (most likely). So if it is option 2, and the daughter is named Barbra, I can't imagine Jim and Leslie name her that unless Barbra Kean does something like I mentioned above. Of course, there is a third option in which the baby is named something else, but I find that to be no fun!

This is an interesting theory.

There's only one way that I can see Leslie agreeing to name the baby after Barbara.

Barbara sacrifices her own life to save Leslie (and the baby she's carrying) from being killed or murdered.

Option #2: Jim Gordon's niece, instead of his daughter, is named Barbara Gordon. Leslie's baby could be James Gordon Jr.

There's only one way that I can see Leslie agreeing to name the baby after Barbara.

Barbara sacrifices her own life to save Leslie (and the baby she's carrying) from being killed or murdered.

Option #2: Jim Gordon's niece, instead of his daughter, is named Barbara Gordon. Leslie's baby could be James Gordon Jr.

Just as long as she's not Alfred's niece. We don't need any reminder of Batman and Robin.

But, as for your first option. Yeah, that's something I had in mind. I honestly think that's the route they should go in. Barbra is a character they can't seem to figure out what to do with. Killing her off honorably, would put a nice end cap to that and introduce an (eventual) integral ally of Batman.

I find myself laughing at Kevin Smith not watching this, saying he will wait since it doesn't have the urgency of something like Flash.

Lol dude is missing out on an incredible show.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I find myself laughing at Kevin Smith not watching this, saying he will wait since it doesn't have the urgency of something like Flash.

Lol dude is missing out on an incredible show.
I'm just amazed the guy has any time watch anything. With all the podcasts he does, the movie he's currently scouting for, side projects like Comicbook Men, and whatever else he does, I have no idea how he finds the time to watch anything.

Also, a little LOL at the quote that popped up after the stinger from Howard Stern. I know he loves Gotham, but it was just funny that he's the quote they use.

Option 3: Barbara hides behind a curtain with a turkey baster while Jim and Lee make love. She jumps out after the rufie-laced condom knocks them both out, and impregnates herself. A season's absence later, she emerges, falls off another building into a cannon which shoots her to the top of an even taller building which she also falls off but lands in a passing pillow truck carrying memory foam pillows which were recalled for being slightly too firm, asks Jim to take care of Barbara jr. "your daughter!" *dies*

Jintor

i don't watch this show but i saw a picture of hugo strange and GAWD DAMN U ON POINT

comic fans, better/worse than gotham central?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Decent episode. Thought it ended a bit abruptly, but they're probably doing another mini arc with Mr Freeze, so I'll just think of this as the first part of the story.

BD Wong as Hugo Strange is great, glad they went with such a comic accurate look. I also dug seeing Victor and Nora interact with her alive, we usually don't get too much of that in Batman lore.

Hope we get more of the Butch & Tabitha teamup. They're both characters that really grew on me. I wonder how Selina is going to leverage her info about them.

Sölf

Hope we get more of the Butch & Tabitha teamup. They're both characters that really grew on me. I wonder how Selina is going to leverage her info about them.

"Friendship ended with Butch. Now Edward is my new best friend." - O. Copplepot

GAF, do your thing please.

Ithil

I'm very attached to Mr. Freeze as a villain, entirely due to Heart of Ice, and given the previous live action treatment of the character was the travesty in Batman & Robin, I was a little anxious that they don't screw it up here.

So far, it's obviously not a patch on Heart of Ice's Freeze, but they're doing a fine job for now, even though the eventual outcome is pretty fixed. Hugo Strange seems pitch perfect so far, too.
The first half of season 2 started out with lots of urgency and seeming direction but ended up losing its way and getting muddled with an underdeveloped yet overexposed main plot. I hope they have learned from that mistake that the villains needs more substance if they're going to carry half a season.

That timeskip they're putting off is gonna have to happen by the end of the season, too, Bruce and Catwoman's actors are not gonna pause their puberty for the show.

Rymuth

Strange was legit terrifying. I was on the edge of my seat when he saw Penguin drink his tea...it's like when Hannibal looks calm but you know he's breathing fire inside.

Top Bottom