• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

Skux

This show is just as bonkers as ever, and I love it. We get a dude melting into paste and another frozen decapitated head smashing through a windshield. Oh yeah, and a guy claws his eyes out.

BD Wong as Hugo Strange is an absolute prize for this show. He might not be as tall as some depictions but he makes up for it in calculated menace.

Really liking the Mr Freeze arc. He's the bad guy, but you want him to succeed.

Looks like Gordon owes Penguin yet another favour for taking the blame for Galavan's murder. I'm eager to see how Penguin manages to no doubt escape from Arkham and expose Hugo Strange later on.

You know the show is great when you've watched the whole episode and can't believe it's over already.

No Ice Puns...
629.gif

VanWinkle

I'm so amazed by how much ridiculously better the cinematography is on this than the CW comic book shows. It's something I'm constantly noticing.

RS4-

I did not expect Hugo Strange to show up. Or maybe the break was just too long for me to remember anything. Hell, I forgot Freeze was in until he got that copper.

Oddduck

This is a wacky idea, and I know only fans of the show would be open to this idea.

But do you think a Gotham video game could work?

A few examples:

- An open world, crime noir detective game, where you play as Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock, trying to solve mysteries around the city

- A game where you play as a young Oswald Cobblepot. Your goal is to scheme, manipulate, and murder, to rise up the ranks, and eventually become the king of Gotham.

- A game where you play as young bruce and young selina, and you're trying to solve mysteries behind Wayne Enterprises. (Maybe this could work as a TellTale game or something like Dontnod's Life is Strange). Maybe you can visit Bruce's school like Rockstar's Bully or Dontnod's Life is Strange.

Sölf

This is a wacky idea, and I know only fans of the show would be open to this idea.

But do you think a Gotham video game could work?

A few examples:

- An open world, crime noir detective game where you play as Jim Gordon and Harvey Bullock.

- A game where you play as a young Oswald Cobblepot. Your goal is to scheme, manipulate, and murder, to rise up the ranks, and eventually become the king of Gotham.

- A game where you play as young bruce and young selina, and you're trying to solve mysteries behind Wayne Enterprises.

So the second one would basically GTA with a Gotham setting and later on probably some more whacky stuff. That could definitly work, but it probably would need a few tweaks from the GTA formula. But generally, I think that would work without much problems

Props to them for sticking with the Hugo strange look but man beards without moustaches ALWAYS look trash lol

Another highly entertaining episode. Was missing Alfred and Bruce tho. Hope to see them next episode

I wasn't expecting them to stick to the freeze origin so I was quite surprised by this

Finally got around to watching and DAMN that was some good shit. B.D. Wong is fantastic as Strange, plays him just right, air of competent menace. Curious how Penguin's going to get out of this one...

Oh, and Freeze was great!

mm04

Honestly, I never thought the show would really be able to work with the emphasis being on the villians and no superhero in the mix. Damn did they ever make it work. This show just gets better and better.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That was only one of the best episodes of what is currently is the best superhero show on TV. What an incredible return.

Also, it contained what it may be Gotham's grossest scene yet.

TGDfYU0.gif

No, not that one. I mean, look at that burger.

What kind of sick fuck would order that? Jesus.

Turin

Banned
Last year I never would have thought I'd be so happy to see an episode of Gotham show up on the DVR. Such a fun show.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
We were right in the middle of dinner when the melting guy scene happened. The misses had just shoved a spoon of tomato soup in her mouth when it happened and I thought we were gonna end up having to clean it out of the carpet.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
We were right in the middle of dinner when the melting guy scene happened. The misses had just shoved a spoon of tomato soup in her mouth when it happened and I thought we were gonna end up having to clean it out of the carpet.

This and Hannibal are the biggest mysteries on network TV.

I don't know what kind of magic tricks they pulled in order to air such crazy scenes on a network show, but I'm grateful.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser

I don't know what kind of magic tricks they pulled in order to air such crazy scenes on a network show, but I'm grateful.

They didn't have any buttcheeks or lady nipples melting so it's totally ok.

Basically it can be as violent and gruesome as you want but no Blood.

Like the Pike bro with C4 down his pant's, a few blood squibs but the explosion totally vapes him, no blood.
Verger feeding his face to Will's dogs. The entire shot is in shadow and the blood is not explicit
Thawing guy turns into goop not blood.
Frozen head in windshield totes OK cuz no blood.
Hannibal gutting Will, there's blood but it's not fountainous.

strafer

That was only one of the best episodes of what is currently is the best superhero show on TV. What an incredible return.

Also, it contained what it may be Gotham's grossest scene yet.

TGDfYU0.gif

No, not that one. I mean, look at that burger.

What kind of sick fuck would order that? Jesus.

sweden has a lot of those burgers....

they are good

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
did no one watch csi/bones etc?

this is child's play compared to some of the victims there
Generally speaking you only see the corpses, not people dying in great detail (well, CSI features the injuries, but it's not particularly shocking stuff). Gotham is considerably more brutal.

Basically it can be as violent and gruesome as you want but no Blood.

Like the Pike bro with C4 down his pant's, a few blood squibs but the explosion totally vapes him, no blood.
Verger feeding his face to Will's dogs. The entire shot is in shadow and the blood is not explicit
Thawing guy turns into goop not blood.
Frozen head in windshield totes OK cuz no blood.
Hannibal gutting Will, there's blood but it's not fountainous.
Hannibal had literal fountains of blood in several episodes, tho.

Please remember to spoiler-tag all previews.

Oddduck

One of the executive producers of Gotham, John Stephens, was on this podcast, and they asked him if FOX has ever forced them to cut stuff out / tone stuff down, due to how violent the show can get. He said there was a deleted scene where Penguin uses torture to force information out of someone. There is a closeup of Penguin slowly cutting off the person's fingers one by one, with blood oozing out everywhere, in a very gorey manner. Fox made them cut this scene out of one of the episodes. They said there was no way they could get away with that scene on network television.

But for the most part, Stephens said Fox gives them a ton of freedom with violence.

Sober

Yeah, this show looks great.

It has a wonderful visual aesthetic. It's easily the best looking comic book show on television.
Well that's probably because the show wants to have an aesthetic beyond disguising Vancouver. Like they do a lot of digital touchups for this show, I really doubt they do that in Arrow/Flash. (Or Nolan Batman, kekeke)

Like yeah the weird mixed eras with like 70s/80s cars but everyone has flip phones in a grimy looking dump of a city lit with just buckets of neon at night, I mean it's not gonna please everyone but they commit to it. Even Synder's BvS Gotham has some character to it, even if it is a bit of a Arkham-verse ripoff.

I do wish Star and Central City had some personality to them, hell even the original Flash series it had some which also used a similar motif to Gotham.

Arrow started out with some personality of the city in S1-S2 but that was all scraped.

Gotham aesthetic is great it really is like a cross between TAS and Burton's Gotham.

Oddduck

Some director news.

Arrow's John Behring directed his second Gotham episode, "The Ball of Mud and Meanness", which will be airing March 14th. His first Gotham episode was "The Fearsome Dr. Crane" last season. John Behring has directed 11 episodes of Arrow since the show started.

Episode 19 will be directed by Larysa Kondracki. She has directed episodes of shows like Better Call Saul, The Americans, Halt and Catch Fire, and The Walking Dead. She also directed a movie called "The Whistleblower" which was certified fresh on Rottentomatoes (73%) out of 113 reviews.

Some director news.

Arrow's John Behring directed his second Gotham episode, "The Ball of Mud and Meanness", which will be airing March 14th. His first Gotham episode was "The Fearsome Dr. Crane" last season. John Behring has directed 11 episodes of Arrow since the show started.

Episode 19 will be directed by Larysa Kondracki. She has directed episodes of shows like Better Call Saul, The Americans, Halt and Catch Fire, and The Walking Dead. She also directed a movie called "The Whistleblower" which was certified fresh on Rottentomatoes (73%) out of 113 reviews.

Oh, cool, Crane episodes were pretty good.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 2: episode 13 "A Dead Man Feels No Cold"

As Gordon, Bullock and Barnes continue the search for Victor Fries, they are forced to look to his wife, Nora, for help. Meanwhile, Penguin is introduced to Hugo Strange, and Alfred reveals some crucial information to Bruce about his parents’ murderer.
- Promo for this week's episode.

Alpende

Finally saw the Mr. Freeze episode yesterday and thought it was great. They upped the craziness even more for it seems. Running over a frozen guy, a melting corpse and a dude with no more eyes are pretty out there. Dr. Strange is perfectly cast and can't wait to see more of him.

Lgndryhr

Just started watching this show over the weekend since season 1 is on Netflix. I have been hooked so far. I hear season 2 is better.

Top Bottom