• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

Just watched the episode, loved it!

The format felt different than the recent episodes, which I thought was great since it got to focus on Bruce more.

Speaking of Bruce, hot damn! He was amazing, especially the scene with Matches. And I LOVED how he is going to live on the street with Selina now. It was a little surprising that it happened so fast, but "grown up" Bruce has been killing it. This is the beginning of his journey to becoming the Bat. Plus that whole scene reminded me of Batman Begins.

This may be the first time I'm noticing it, but he looks way older in the back half of season 2 so far. The image on the left is Bruce from season 1, episode 1, and the one on the right is from the most recent episode (season 2, episode 14).
dHiad5n.png

As usual, Hugo Strange was amazing. Penguin being released was pretty shocking, but Strange said he has plans for him so I bet we're missing a piece of the puzzle.

Nygma's monologues were great. He is definitely about to go full Riddler soon.

Can't wait! Hopefully it's a full 22 episode order. Gotham is on roll.

For the reviews that say this show has no identity, they couldn't be more wrong. This show knows exactly what it's doing.

Oddduck

This may be the first time I'm noticing it, but he looks way older in the back half of season 2 so far. The image on the left is Bruce from season 1, episode 1, and the one on the right is from the most recent episode (season 2, episode 14).
dHiad5n.png

It will be interesting seeing all of these characters aging, growing, and maturing in real time.

And as they grow older, I bet their storylines will get better and better too.

Edit:

Season 3

Bruce's actor will be 16... (He was 13 when the pilot was filmed)
Selina's actor will be 17...
Poison Ivy's actor will be 15...
Silver St. Cloud will be 16...
Scarecrow's actor will be 20...
Riddler's actor will be 30...
Penguin's actor will be 38...
Jim Gordon's actor will be 38...
Harvey Dent's actor will be 36...
Harvey Bullock's actor will be 51...

Season 6 -- Most of the actors are signed for six years. (Doesn't mean it'll get a S6 tho)

Bruce's actor will be 19...
Selina's actor will be 20...
Poison Ivy's actor will be 18...
Silver St. Cloud will be 19..
Scarecrow's actor will be 23....
Riddler's actor will be 33...
Penguin's actor will be 41...
Jim Gordon's actor will be 41...
Harvey Dent's actor will be 39...
Harvey Bullock's actor will be 54...

I bet Ivy will become a more prominent character once she gets older.

KonradLaw

This may be the first time I'm noticing it, but he looks way older in the back half of season 2 so far.

Boys at that age grow up crazy fast. Game of Thrones was hurt by this, while Gotham benefits from this like crazy.

And great news about S3. Easily my favorite comicbook show. .

TheOddOne

Some more info from Deadline:
While down vs its first season, Gotham — which hit a Live+same day season low of 1.3 18-49 rating on Monday — has been doing a solid business in multi-platform viewing, averaging 9 million total viewers in Season 2, and has done well with male demos. The series ranks among this season’s Top 10 entertainment programs overall among Men 18-49, and is among the season’s Top 5 broadcast dramas among Men 18-49 and Men 18-34.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Excellent news. I hope the shows remains as consistently fun as it is now.

I'm a huge fan of Ivy (the character, it's not like the actress had much time to shine), so I damn hope so.

Ivy should be a slow build. Start to show her taking care of plants in the way she wished she was taken care of, like plants become the things she projects her feelings and desires onto.

I'd expect the execution to be much better than it sounds, but it could work...

Kouichi

That is awesome news to hear after such a great episode. I never thought I'd say this, but Season 2 has made Bruce my favorite character to watch. Really interested to see how things progress with him.

Dennis

Banned
They need to do something with Selina.

While Bruce has gotten a lot more interesting since the beginning Selina got nothing going on. Silver had more character development her for gods sake....

I hope Ivy returns and they something to grow her character too.

I still remember her trolling Barbara on the phone.

Pachimari

I also want them to develop Selina, and hopefully she gets much more time. I do wonder if Silver will ever return though? Is she from the comics by the way?

It will be interesting seeing all of these characters aging, growing, and maturing in real time.

Season 3

Season 4

Bruce's actor will be 17...
Selina's actor will be 18...
Poison Ivy's actor will be 16...
Silver St. Cloud will be 17...
Scarecrow's actor will be 21...
Riddler's actor will be 31...
Penguin's actor will be 39...
Jim Gordon's actor will be 39...
Harvey Dent's actor will be 37...
Harvey Bullock's actor will be 52...

Season 5

Bruce's actor will be 18...
Selina's actor will be 19...
Poison Ivy's actor will be 17...
Silver St. Cloud will be 18...
Scarecrow's actor will be 22...
Riddler's actor will be 32...
Penguin's actor will be 40...
Jim Gordon's actor will be 40...
Harvey Dent's actor will be 38...
Harvey Bullock's actor will be 53...

Season 6 -- Most of the actors are signed for six years. (Doesn't mean it'll get a S6 tho)

How old will they be in season 7?

Tabby

I also want them to develop Selina, and hopefully she gets much more time. I do wonder if Silver will ever return though? Is she from the comics by the way?

Silver St. Cloud? Yeah she's been a recurring love interest for Bruce Wayne but other than that I don't know much about her.

VanWinkle

I loved the look of this scene. Looks like something straight out of the Tim Burton universe. Amazing.

RTS3yWU.jpg

I was hoping somebody would post a screen cap of that. Beautiful.

Oh I'm sure Selina will get much more time for development now with the new situation with Bruce. And yeah, I wouldn't mind more Silver. She is in the comics every once in awhile, as a love interest of Bruce.

How old will they be in season 7?

LOL. I appreciated OddDuck's effort but this cracks me up.

Pachimari

Oh, cool to know Silver St. Cloud is a comic character. I thought it was another original as I had never heard about her. Nice. I also liked her acting and arc, hope she returns.

Gotham have so many incredibly great characters.

Absolute favorite show but I have 1.5 episodes behind, I should catch up tonight.

Yeah, this show is bar none just about the best looking thing on TV. It's frankly amazing. All industrial gothic sets and backgrounds, gorgeous lighting, on-point framing. Fantastique.

Veelk

Banned
Heh. I mostly lurk around here, but I'm pretty pleased with the turn around that Gaf has made on this show. Personally, I've thought it was a level above the average superhero show since Day....3, maybe? I remember not liking the pilot, but even season 1 kept surprising me with it's unique aspects and surprisingly good writing in various areas. I'm happy that now the show's got a strong and dedicated fanbase going here.

Season 1 is a lot more interesting on a second viewing. Like, the Fish Mooney on the island stuff was kinda grating at the time, because it's taking away airtime from the mafia plot back in Gotham, but now that you can binge it all it holds up really well. There's some good shit there.

Plus you start catching interesting hints, like Dolmacher threatening to bring Fish back from the dead to turn her into an abomination or how Falcone maneuvered Marcone into giving him Indian Hill.

strafer

Edit:

Season 3

So in season 6 we will see some creepy fan fiction or steamy scenes.

VanWinkle

Season 1 is a lot more interesting on a second viewing. Like, the Fish Mooney on the island stuff was kinda grating at the time, because it's taking away airtime from the mafia plot back in Gotham, but now that you can binge it all it holds up really well. There's some good shit there.

Plus you start catching interesting hints, like Dolmacher threatening to bring Fish back from the dead to turn her into an abomination or how Falcone maneuvered Marcone into giving him Indian Hill.

I didn't start watching the show until it went on Netflix, at which time I watched it all together over two or three days. I personally liked it a lot, even though I didn't it feel it was incredible by any means. The Fish Mooney on the island plot was the only thing I didn't like.

Veelk

Banned
I'm actually part of a minority that loves Fish Mooney. First off, her name is ridiculous. I respect that. Second, I don't think we see a lot of female characters that are just as ruthless as her, and especially not in superhero franchise. She's ambitious, vicious, calculating, but has just enough of a heart that she isn't a cartoon caricature of evilness (something I felt Barbara devolved into, where she just has absolutely zero moral boundaries or standards). And i love the extremes she was willing to go to to maintain independent power. And she was even an original character too! Her arc wasn't perfect, but I felt they achieved a lot with her.

Parch

I'm just grinding through season 1 but can see how it was forgotten as just another mafia show. It laid the groundwork but now in season 2 they're going more with traditional batman characters and it's really blossoming.

The kid timeline thing is brilliant. There really could be endless stories using that schtick as the characters grow up and there never would be a need to go full grown up batman.
This season has been really, really good. Great writing, good looking, and that older time frame, indirect link to the adult batman world is brilliant.

I'm liking Legends too but Gotham is really miles ahead of most of the superhero shows being made right now IMO

VanWinkle

Yeah, Fish Mooney was a good character. I like her, and it was cool to see an original character in the show like that with a prominent role.

Yeah, Fish Mooney was a good character. I like her, and it was cool to see an original character in the show like that with a prominent role.

Is this opposite day or something?

The hell is going on. She was a terrible character and it's no coincidence the show got significantly better after she was killed off.

Veelk

Banned
Is this opposite day or something?

The hell is going on. She was a terrible character and it's no coincidence the show got significantly better after she was killed off.

Good argument. You've certainly convinced me. I thought all this time she was a good character for the reasons I listed above, but I never considered she actually wasn't. Now I see the light.

Top Bottom