• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

Penguin

Really good ep, curious to see where it all goes.

Let's see if Jim spends more time in Blackgate than he did in Arkham as a guard.

Great episode. It was amazing to watch Nygma's plan come together at the end in what seemed like a series of unconventional distracting crimes.The Riddler's museum heist at the beginning felt very reminiscent to the Joker's attack on the art museum in the 89 Batman movie. Penguin's innocent personality is a wonder to see explored although I'm guessing that new "family" of his is going to not take to him very well. The time jump was somewhat jolting to see but it definitely sets up an interesting arc for Gordon now that he's behind bars with many of the very criminals he put in. All in all, I'm excited to see what comes next.

Ishida

Banned
Great episode. It was amazing to watch Nygma's plan come together at the end in what seemed like a series of unconventional distracting crimes.The Riddler's museum heist at the beginning felt very reminiscent to the Joker's attack on the art museum in the 89 Batman movie.

I'm certain that the show producers/writers are fans of the Burton movies.

Good episode, really digging the rise of the Diddler.

Not really feeling the Penguin scenes though, not sure what the end game here is but the father could shake things up. What are the odds Strange is behind it?

Well damn, Gordon in blackgate wasn't something I expected to happen. Oooo, of course Barb is waking up...

And Jessica Lucas - goodness. How is it she gets even more beautiful with each passing episode.

Ishida

Banned
Good episode, really digging the rise of the Diddler.

latest

Dennis

Banned
Best episode.

Beautiful art direction and cinematography too. Looks like a million bucks.

Lets have some character development for Ivy, Barbara and Selina.

Bruce is growing on me.

Alpende

It would be cool if Strange is behind the family and Penguin is faking. I'd like to see a Penguin revenge type of plot on Strange.

Apoc29

Penguin's dad being Pee-Wee Herman makes too much sense. Also, Oswald was looking a lot like Danny DeVito's Penguin when he was hugging his dad. I have no idea what's going on with his story arc, however.

Bruce killed it in his scene where he was talking about how he could take a beating. Only thing that was missing was bats flying up around him in the background.

Man even as much as I enjoyed Daredevil S2...
Nope, Gotham still the best comic show by far.

Every week I literally sit there in amazement wondering how this had such a turnaround and is as good as it is.

Great episode!

Loved Riddler/Nygma, his character development has been on point. Gordon going to blackgate was a pretty interesting shake up. Ivy and the mushrooms was pretty cool. BRUCE! He went from being the most boring part of Gotham in S1 to the best part of Gotham in S2. His scene in that episode, where he took the beating, was amazing!

The only thing I didn't really get was Penguin. I have no clue what is going to happen to him, especially now that he met his 'father' and the awkward family.

Isn't Bruce about 15 in this show? Year One puts him debuting as Batman at 25, so that gives 10 years for these villains to refine their villainy. I was worried about the timeline when the show debuted, but either the writers thought this one out or they got lucky, but I think everything lines up well.

Ishida

Banned
Isn't Bruce about 15 in this show? Year One puts him debuting as Batman at 25, so that gives 10 years for these villains to refine their villainy. I was worried about the timeline when the show debuted, but either the writers thought this one out or they got lucky, but I think everything lines up well.

At some point in the show, Bruce is going to have to leave Gotham in order to go and train around the world. I wonder if that would mean David Mazouz would have to leave the series in order for that to happen.

I know comics have a lot of variation in their stories, but approximately how many years did Bruce Wayne train outside of Gotham before coming back?

At some point in the show, Bruce is going to have to leave Gotham in order to go and train around the world. I wonder if that would mean David Mazouz would have to leave the series in order for that to happen.

I know comics have a lot of variation in their stories, but approximately how many years did Bruce Wayne train outside of Gotham before coming back?

Eh, they can incorporate a good deal within Gotham before sending him off.

This Selina stuff on the streets,
You can do the Zatanna & Zatara stuff and keep it on the show(either he performs mostly in Gotham or does elsewhere but still filmed in NYC)

lastly I suggested a way to even have Bruce trained by Shiva with League of Shadow involvement.
Basically have Shiva as a 2 maybe 3 years older girl who is a world renowned martial artist. Alfred thinks his fighting lessons are just about over so considers hiring a professional to teach him further,
Alfred seeing Shiva is coming to Gotham and being cheeky as he is decides to hire the beautiful girl thinking it could secretly lighten Bruce up a bit.

Secretly Shiva has come to Gotham to try getting Bruce at her side for the League.
And the League intends to use him to destroy Gotham from within, however failing at this later leads to their typical action plans.

Head of the League on Gotham would be Ducard(Ra's) with the setup to a potential Begins type situation later though for that time he would be under instruction of Sensei,
And the reveal of Ducard as Ra's and being behind everything would lead to Bruce similarly leaving the League.
Also Talia would be there during the League training with Bruce(Ra's didn't want her involved, him dying/disappearing earlier on Gotham lead to her being initiated)

Zatanna and Zatara would be a great way to promote the idea that he should be the best at everything. Right now he's focused more or less entirely on combat skills, street smarts. Being a part of a magic show would be a great way to open him to the idea that there's more to life.

Zatanna and Zatara would be a great way to promote the idea that he should be the best at everything. Right now he's focused more or less entirely on combat skills, street smarts. Being a part of a magic show would be a great way to open him to the idea that there's more to life.

Zatanna for love,
Zatara for escape artist technique.

Skux

Damn good episode.

Riddler's plan was absolutely devious and perfectly executed.

Bruce is stealing the show with his proto-Batman scenes.

Penguin scenes were weird and too good to be true, probably because they are, we just haven't found out how yet.

And as always, the show looks incredible.

JWK6bGL.png

Damn good episode.

Riddler's plan was absolutely devious and perfectly executed.

Bruce is stealing the show with his proto-Batman scenes.

Penguin scenes were weird and too good to be true, probably because they are, we just haven't found out how yet.

And as always, the show looks incredible.

JWK6bGL.png

This jumped straight out of a comic panel, jesus.

Oddduck

Honestly, Gotham is a breath of fresh air from most of the comic book shows on television. I appreciate that Gotham tries to be different from what every other comic book show is trying to do. The show is divisive, but at the same time, there is no show like it on television. There is no show that has the weird, quirky, dark brand of humor that Gotham has.

Oddduck

Good article that talks about how much visual effects work goes into a single episode of Gotham.

http://www.awn.com/news/cosa-vfx-taps-ftrack-fox-tv-s-gotham

Sometimes that means building upon real-life shots, but other times, it’s meant generating entire CG locations. In either case, the visual effects needed to blend in perfectly with the Gotham’s gritty look. CoSA VFX has achieved tremendous results, earning an Emmy nomination for its work on the first season.

However, despite the final quality of the output, TV deadlines can be incredibly challenging, with about 10 days typically provided to complete all of an episode’s shots, and multiple episodes requiring attention at once. CoSA VFX uses ftrack to manage its VFX work, and that’s what allowed the team, which is split between Los Angeles and Vancouver, to stay on top of the hectic schedule while producing stunning, high-profile work.

I'm going to say that Pee Wee Herman isn't actually his father. The way he asked Penguin how old he was before telling him he had a child that would be exactly that age seemed a bit convenient.

Good article that talks about how much visual effects work goes into a single episode of Gotham.

http://www.awn.com/news/cosa-vfx-taps-ftrack-fox-tv-s-gotham

Man, they really do amazing work. I would never spot half that stuff as CGI.

I'm going to say that Pee Wee Herman isn't actually his father. The way he asked Penguin how old he was before telling him he had a child that would be exactly that age seemed a bit convenient.

Naw, that's just Gotham being Gotham.

Much more fitting is to have him actually be his father, and actually be everything he seems, and have Penguin's life ruined anyway by his conniving new stepmother and half siblings.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Just got around to watching the newest episode. Love the casting for Penguin's father, they do look like they could be related. Something is definitely up with the Van Dahl family though, way too good to be true.

Jim in jail. Did not see that coming. I thought Ed would just distract them with his puzzles for awhile, but he went full hog and framed him for murder. I wonder where they're going to go from here. I was thinking Barbara waking up meant she would go break Jim out. But maybe since she is getting the Strange treatment, this will be how they reset her character to be nice again. I hope not, I like crazy Barbara more and Leslie should stay.

Bruce. My man Bruce. The writers are doing a way better job of selling the young Batman thing now. He took the beating, but kept Alfred's advice in his head. I think I'm going to like this arc he is having with Selina.

Wonder how far they are allowed to push the Batman thing, hopefully can push it all the way until right before puts on the Batsuit.
I'd kill if they just did 1 crazy as hell episode that involved the future somehow and we got Commissioner Gordon, and even just a short scene between adult Batman & Catwoman
(a payoff for having Selina at the Wayne murder and as a friend.)

Never going to happen but I can dream.

just watched last weeks episode:

SHHHHEEEEEEIIIIIIITTTTTTT!!!! Nygma was incredibly genius!!! did not see the end game until the ending!!! How the hell is Jim gonna get out of this!?!?!?? Bullock is about to get the greatest case of his life!!!

Watched last ep again. The costuming doesn't get enough love. Strange's tie knot last few weeks and Riddler's tie clip with the holographic green question mark is amazing.

Pee Wee Herman is such good casting for penguins father. Great callback to batman returns

He looks even more like his son in this show

What more can I say. Another good episode. It's gotten ridiculously consistent in its second season. I don't really think even daredevil can compete with this. That has its lulls

This just stays the line all season long now. I wonder how long they can keep it up. For as long as they do it will be the best comic show. It makes sense that this show runner worked on Rome before

Was the mentalist this good?

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 2: episode 16 "Prisoners"

After Gordon is removed from protective custody, he begins to face new threats and dangers inside prison walls. In order to survive, he must rely on a new friend, as well as Bullock and other outside help. Meanwhile, Penguin grows closer to his father, while his step-mother and step-siblings move forward with their own plans for the family.
- Promo for this week's episode.

That was one of the best episodes of Gotham yet.

Love to see them let loose with the Riddler
My only fear is that they will catch Riddler soon and nerf him moving forward. I hope he just stays unbeatable until Batman shows up, but we'll see.

And as for Penguin's family, man, are they creepy. I truly wonder where they're going with it.

Johndoey

Banned
Damn this is great so far.

Not a good life for a convicted cop killer.

Penguin's pops reminds me of Pee Wee Herman.

I love how blatantly evil step-monster is.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Damn this is great so far.

Not a good life for a convicted cop killer.

Penguin's pops reminds me of Pee Wee Herman.

I love how blatantly evil step-monster is.

Not sure if you just mean he's got the same mannerisms as the character, but that IS Paul Reubens, a.k.a. Pee-wee Herman, a.k.a. Penguin's father in Batman Returns.

Johndoey

Banned
Not sure if you just mean he's got the same mannerisms as the character, but that IS Paul Reubens, a.k.a. Pee-wee Herman, a.k.a. Penguin's father in Batman Returns.
Well alright that explains that. Thanks.

Edit: This is a legitimately touching moment.

Puck is sweet and so totally on the chopping block. He's either evil or he gon die.

Good ol' Penguin.

Top Bottom