• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

The AV Club reviewer(s) just doesn't seem to "get" this show.

Glad Penguin is back and his inherited "family" is where they belong. I'm still certain Michelle Pfeiffer is actually Cat's actress is real mother. It's amazing how much this show turned around from most of the first season.

Luigi87

AV Club Review are probably bitter at how the show has completely become its own thing, rather than tying to comic origins.

I was somewhat bothered by that in season 1, but that's because the tone of the show was different. This season I'm loving it and am excited for what will happen next. I feel like I never really know what's going to happen in Gotham.

Gotham is a criminally underrated comic book show.

Very true. I feel most jumped ship after or during season 1. Several people I know have. I try to stress that they may as well skip season one (except maybe the final five episodes) and just watch season 2, because it's such a different, and much better, show.

AV Club seems really hung up on what they think the show is rather than what it actually is. It's weird.

Anyway, fantastic episode. He fed his stepsiblings to his stepmom, holy shit.

Great episode last night. I'd wish the Ratings were higher than a 1.2 from last nights episode.

Also this episodes should teach everyone not to accept Food from DC Villains. If a DC Villain offered you Grannies Peach Tea and Pot Roast run away...

Wozzly

special needs, sexual needs
t's amazing how much this show turned around from most of the first season.

I think this every episode. I was so critical of the series before it even stared and the first few episodes were not that great with in your face nods to "look she's crouched like a cat! Get it!? She's going to be Catwoman!"

But it found its groove and has an identity of its own that's unlike anything else on television. This is my must watch show. Penguin is amazing. I was actually rooting for him to stay good but when he went ahead and killed the whole family which shocked me and made me realize how great Robin Lord Taylor is playing both good and bad Oswald.

I love me some Ms. Peabody. I need more of her.

Parch

I'm finally caught up. Damn, this is a well written show. The character development has been flawless.

I like how the show has multiple storyline layers. In a lot of ways it's like a well written ongoing comic book series. Other shows should follow the Gotham format. Instead of having so much focus on one storyline throughout an entire season, add some variety and smaller plots that interact.

It certainly helps that the bat-world has so many quality characters to use. They can have a 3 or 4 episode story like with Freeze and Scarecrow without dedicating an entire season to it.

There is always multiple interesting things going on in every episode without the need to have filler or stretch a story. Gotham is an extremely well written show.

Oddduck

psh, Arkham is a revolving door with Strange in charge

Haha yep.

Barbara goes in. Penguin comes out.

Barbara comes out. Nygma goes in.

Nygma will come out, and someone else will go in.

e65d5ce976399a36325ceb4e6d00a2e6.jpg

Harley-Quinn-sane.jpg

TreIII

I like how the show has multiple storyline layers. In a lot of ways it's like a well written ongoing comic book series. Other shows should follow the Gotham format. Instead of having so much focus on one storyline throughout an entire season, add some variety and smaller plots that interact.

It certainly helps that the bat-world has so many quality characters to use. They can have a 3 or 4 episode story like with Freeze and Scarecrow without dedicating an entire season to it.

There is always multiple interesting things going on in every episode without the need to have filler or stretch a story. Gotham is an extremely well written show.

^ EXACTLY.

Berlanti's shows, as much as I love Flash and Supergirl, could definitely stand to take a few notes for how to do this type of thing. There's definitely a difference from how Gotham has been able to organically keep plot threads dating back from even Season 1 pertinent, without making it seem like a lot of it is filler because "yeah, they were able to do knock down that monster of the day, but they're STILL not ready to take on the designated Big Bad YET~!".

Hell, there really isn't anybody close to a clear and present "Big Bad" in Gotham, and that's what makes it all the more enthralling. All this, and we're still ideally years away from Bruce suiting up for the first time...

Gorger

So when is Bruce going to get his bat epiphany. Originally he usually gets it at a very young age after he falls in a hole or a well and is attacked by bats. I don't think we have seen a single reference to bats so far.

Enosh

my thoughts during THAT scene

"she's eating and the kids are not there and penguin has that grin on his fa...

oh god NO"

zerosum

She'd be younger than Bruce, probably. And she lived a pretty normal life before she, you know, lost it, so there's not really any way for her and Bruce to intersect. Bruce doesn't attend school, and she's not a street kid. Might be kinda fun if the Quinzels came up in some capacity, I suppose, but I don't really see a way to do it. I dunno.

Someone can probably answer better than I, but I think there was a Quinzel name drop early in the first season... The episode with the Balloon Man maybe?

This episode made me literally sick to my stomach. What the heck. I liked Sasha. And with Morena Baccarin probably gone who am I supposed to have a lesbian crush on?

Cory Michael Smith and Robin Lord Taylor are completely nailing their roles, and even David Mazouz is getting better. I liked his stupid grin at the beginning when he and Ms. Kyle were running away from the other thug.

Sölf

Another great episode and as many have said before, I still can't believe this is what Gotham turned into after S1. I really wish we will get more Ed, he is just nailing his role so damn well. And yay for Penguin! :D

^ EXACTLY.

Berlanti's shows, as much as I love Flash and Supergirl, could definitely stand to take a few notes for how to do this type of thing. There's definitely a difference from how Gotham has been able to organically keep plot threads dating back from even Season 1 pertinent, without making it seem like a lot of it is filler because "yeah, they were able to do knock down that monster of the day, but they're STILL not ready to take on the designated Big Bad YET~!".

Hell, there really isn't anybody close to a clear and present "Big Bad" in Gotham, and that's what makes it all the more enthralling. All this, and we're still ideally years away from Bruce suiting up for the first time...

Arrow feels like a show that had a couple ideas for its first two seasons and has been completely making it up as they go along since... I better stop there or it's going to become a rant of the state that show has been in since season three.

Great episode!

Riddler & Penguin are absolutely nailing it. Plus I love how they aren't dragging their plots out. Some shows you only feel progress during season premiers and season finales, but with Gotham, it's constantly evolving.

The opening scene with Bruce was great. I'm almost sad he won't be living with Selena now, but at least we will get to see his father's files in the batcave.

Overall it was a great episode throughout, I can't wait for next week!

And does anyone know if there are any more breaks left? Or is it a straight shot to the finale?

Oddduck

Great episode!

Riddler & Penguin are absolutely nailing it. Plus I love how they aren't dragging their plots out. Some shows you only feel progress during season premiers and season finales, but with Gotham, it's constantly evolving.

The opening scene with Bruce was great. I'm almost sad he won't be living with Selena now, but at least we will get to see his father's files in the batcave.

Overall it was a great episode throughout, I can't wait for next week!

And does anyone know if there are any more breaks left? Or is it a straight shot to the finale?

No more breaks left.

Straight shot to the finale. There's five more episodes left I think.

LQX

I really like this show and I really like the Penguin but I'm not sure if Penguins persona fits him. I sometimes think the actor is channeling his version of the Joker. Is the Penguin suppose to be this crazy?

Effect

AV Club has been like that from the beginning. Judging the show for what they feel it should be or what they wanted it to be instead of what it actually is and trying to be. I think other outlets have accepted that the show is doing what it wants and going in it's own direction. AV is one of the hold outs I think. Every now and then there is an episode that gives them what they want but it's the exception.

Still need to finish the episode myself but from the little I've let myself see in this thread it's going to be interesting. Watching it as soon as I get home.

Top Bottom