• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

TreIII

Arrow feels like a show that had a couple ideas for its first two seasons and has been completely making it up as they go along since... I better stop there or it's going to become a rant of the state that show has been in since season three.

And there in lies the reason I didn't even mention Arrow in my post~! I haven't vibed with that show for a while now, and I don't see much reason to return if it stays where it is.

I really like this show and I really like the Penguin but I'm not sure if Penguins persona fits him. I sometimes think the actor is channeling his version of the Joker. Is the Penguin suppose to be this crazy?

Going in line with how somebody weeks earlier said that this show really goes for that "Burton-style" Batman, it only seems to slide right in line with how this version of Penguin echoes a bit of DeVito's, in my eyes.

I was getting worried about the Penguin side story. I thought it's another we need to come up with a side story for him as he is not part of the main story.

At least the writers wrapped that up in a satisfying way.

Ed as a villain grew on me

Parch

Going in line with how somebody weeks earlier said that this show really goes for that "Burton-style" Batman, it only seems to slide right in line with how this version of Penguin echoes a bit of DeVito's, in my eyes.
That's the best comparison, although every version of Penguin has been fairly unique.

He's such a great character in Gotham. The character development for Riddler has been really good too.

Now that I think about it, there isn't any character in Gotham that I really dislike. Both the writing and acting are pretty damn good all around.

VanWinkle

AV Club has been like that from the beginning. Judging the show for what they feel it should be or what they wanted it to be instead of what it actually is and trying to be. I think other outlets have accepted that the show is doing what it wants and going in it's own direction. AV is one of the hold outs I think. Every now and then there is an episode that gives them what they want but it's the exception.

Still need to finish the episode myself but from the little I've let myself see in this thread it's going to be interesting. Watching it as soon as I get home.

Well AV Club keeps acting like the SHOW doesn't know what it wants to be, when it's been very consistent for the entire second season at the very least.

You can't keep saying the show doesn't know what it wants to be when it keeps being the same show.

Oddduck

Ten years from now, I think people will look back on Gotham as one of the best comic book shows on television. Especially now that it's getting a Season 3. If Season 3 is as good as Season 2, then we're in for a treat.

Meanwhile, Arrow will be remembered as one of the most overrated comic book TV shows ever.

That's the best comparison, although every version of Penguin has been fairly unique.

He's such a great character in Gotham. The character development for Riddler has been really good too.

Now that I think about it, there isn't any character in Gotham that I really dislike. Both the writing and acting are pretty damn good all around.
I think Penguin is interesting because, unlike other Batman villains, like Joker or Riddler, he doesn't have a dominant version that I immediately think of when I think of him. There's no "definitive" Penguin, so every take on him is potentially compelling.

They knocked it out of the park with Riddler on this show, though. Damn.

Arrow feels like a show that had a couple ideas for its first two seasons and has been completely making it up as they go along since... I better stop there or it's going to become a rant of the state that show has been in since season three.

99% of all TV shows just make it up as they go along that includes good shows and Bad shows.

Alpende

The way Penguin fed the mother her children was crazy. He went there and it was awesome. Best not to insult a known criminal!

99% of all TV shows just make it up as they go along that includes good shows and Bad shows.

Of course they do, obviously it comes down to talent of the show runners and writers but there's no excuse not to have at least a general plan or vision for what you want to accomplish in a season in the months leading up to actually filming, if you have talented people in charge and writers to back it up you can get away with it, it's clearly something Arrow cannot and there's nothing else there to make up for it unless you're into awful "Olicity" melodrama which has been a crutch of that show for the last two seasons. At the absolutely minimum they should've had an outline of what they wanted to do with their "island" flashbacks but they clearly haven't after season two and then they wrote themselves into a corner with a six month flash forward that they had zero idea where they were going with it when they did it.

Halcyon

That last episode was sooooo good. Oh man it's one of my favorite shows. Nygma and Penguin are the breakout stars of the show I think.

There's one shot of Ed, after he shot Gordon, in the factory with the orange light behind him that looked like a comic panel. This show is leaps and bounds better looking than any other comic show, love it.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 2: episode 18 "Pinewood"

After leaving Arkham Asylum, Barbara attempts to make amends with Gordon. Then, Bruce and Alfred track down one of Thomas Wayne’s former friends from Project Chimera, but Hugo Strange disrupts their plans.

"It's not a burden, it's who I am!"

Serious Batman vibes!!!

And damn Jim, all those shots and not one to the head!

Edit: I'm not that informed on all things Batman but this is the greatest origin story involving the Wayne's death

EDIT 2: AZRAEL!!! This is fucking dope!!!

Effect

Well AV Club keeps acting like the SHOW doesn't know what it wants to be, when it's been very consistent for the entire second season at the very least.

You can't keep saying the show doesn't know what it wants to be when it keeps being the same show.

I find that really annoying. Just because you (in the general sense) don't like something that doesn't mean the show doesn't know what it wants to be. It clearly it does. I wish AV Club and others would just be honest that they don't like the direction instead of trying to make it seem that the show runners, etc don't know what they're doing.

Caught up, Supergirl is over, and now to watch tonight's episode.

Boke1879

I"m loving what they are doing and their take on the Gotham and Batman universe. The twist at the end just makes so much sense in the context of this show.

I think Penguin is interesting because, unlike other Batman villains, like Joker or Riddler, he doesn't have a dominant version that I immediately think of when I think of him. There's no "definitive" Penguin, so every take on him is potentially compelling.

They knocked it out of the park with Riddler on this show, though. Damn.

And don't forget that every episode with Jerome the Joker was top class stuff.

I felt like I was watching the Dark Knight. It has amazing production and pacing. That kid really sold the role well.

I don't know why but Strange and Peabody in those fluffy winter jackets was fucking hilarious.

So Galavan is Azrael? Awesome!

I think a reason why Gotham is so great is because they said fuck it to traditional Batman canon and are able to build their own take on the mythos that is their own vision while keeping the core of what makes us love the characters.

Maddocks

Pretty solid episode, it now has me on the must watch on Monday territory, because for the last 4-6 weeks I always waited on watching and even got backed up by 1-2 weeks before finally watching, but it has sold me on must watch.

Oddduck

Azrael looks absolutely amazing in the promo.

On a side note: The next episode is directed by Larysa Kondracki. She's directed some episodes of shows like Better Call Saul, The Americans, Halt & Catch Fire, and The Walking Dead.

I don't know why but Strange and Peabody in those fluffy winter jackets was fucking hilarious.

So Galavan is Azrael? Awesome!

I think a reason why Gotham is so great is because they said fuck it to traditional Batman canon and are able to build their own take on the mythos that is their own vision while keeping the core of what makes us love the characters.

I think it's more that they decided to stick to their own ideas and visions for the show, rather than altering canon for the usual reasons. Making it safer, making it easier for regular viewers to accept. Here, they're going balls to the wall, and if that means they have to tweak (or outright discard) the common canon so be it!

Top Bottom