• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

The only great Berlanti DC show (in my opinion) is The Flash.

I just caught up with Legends of Tomorrow this past weekend. It's okay but nothing special.

Gotham > Supergirl, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow
Yeah, the Berlanti shows seem to start strong and then drop the ball hard. Gotham seems to be doing the opposite.

Caja 117

I haven't watched this show, but I did saw last night episode for about 20 minutes, and I have a question, when I was seen this it felt that the style was close to that of Tim Burtons Batman (not talking design wise, but there was something to it) it this is just me, or this is intentional?

Sölf

I haven't watched this show, but I did saw last night episode for about 20 minutes, and I have a question, when I was seen this it felt that the style was close to that of Tim Burtons Batman (not talking design wise, but there was something to it) it this is just me, or this is intentional?

You are probably talking about the looks and feel of it, like using Smart Phones right next to black/white TVs. Or the cars and outfits of several characters. That's definitly intentional.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

Very intentional. It's anachronistic about a lot of things. The Batman Animated series was the same way. And the costume design definitely makes me think of the Burton films. The Arkham striped jumpsuits for example. Some of the dutched camera angles too, make me think of the 60s Batman which used it constantly.

Jeez this is such a good show.

Azrael was amazing even if it isn't accurate to his comic book counterpart. The religious fanaticism is such a great addition to his character. His costume was great and the show managed to get some really spectacular shots of him particularly the end shot and him on the roof.
Barnes and Gordon both have some good viewpoints but they're both to stubborn to acknowledge that they can be wrong at times and need help.
It's good to know Barbara is still crazy and hasn't actually been cured so easily.
Nygma was great and it's nice to see his curiosity lead him into becoming more manipulative and finding out the secrets of Arkham.

The Four Leaf Clover song was used perfectly too in that Riddler montage.

Barnes and Gordon both have some good viewpoints but they're both to stubborn to acknowledge that they can be wrong at times and need help.
I wonder if the entire point of these characters is to show Bruce the limitations of the vigilantism and the law. It's like Gordon, Barnes, and Galavan are his three inspirations.

Nygma was great and it's nice to see his curiosity lead him into becoming more manipulative and finding out the secrets of Arkham.

The Four Leaf Clover song was used perfectly too in that Riddler montage.
I can imagine this is the time he starts placing his Riddler trophies all over the place.

Sadist

See, now this is Gotham at it's best; being batshit crazy.

B.D. Wong is amazing as Hugo Strange. "Yes, we're aaaallll mad here!" Gotta love it. Nygma is great too, especially the part where discovers Strange's secret.

More eps like these

Phyranion

9. Arrow
8. Supergirl
7. Legends of Tomorrow
6. Marvel's Agent Carter
5. Marvel's Daredevil
4. Gotham
3. Marvel's Jessica Jones
2. Marvel's Agents of Shield
1. The Flash
I disagree with most of that list. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is too damn high, and Jessica Jones too. Arrow has had a rough period the last couple of seasons, but the first two alone places it above Supergirl. At least in my book.

Xemnas89

Alot of people probably lost interest during the first season and weren't willing to give it another shot. I try to convince friends of mine that the seconds season is incredible compared to the first season but no one buys it. First impressions and all that.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Alot of people probably lost interest during the first season and weren't willing to give it another shot. I try to convince friends of mine that the seconds season is incredible compared to the first season but no one buys it. First impressions and all that.

I can understand that. I only came back to the show on a whim at the very end of Season 1 because people said it was getting good. The Ogre arc brought got me to at least give it a chance in Season 2.

Sölf

Most likely this. IN another forum where I am most of the hardcore comic book fans were hyped as heck for Gotham but just gradually lost interest during S1 and now can't even bring themself to watch S2, no matter how much I hype that up there. D:

I can understand all that for the first season, but last year (fall 2015, so it's season 2), we had much more replies every week after each episode.

And it was only 5 months ago...

It looks like the winter break (or The X-Files) affected the rate of replies in this thread.

And another great episode. This show is really fantastic. I can't believe how good it is, really. I'm not a Batman fan, I know next to nothing about the lore (only from the first three Arkham games and the entries there), but this season has me hooked. I love the portrayal of the villains, it's great seeing Bruce growing, slowly but surely and I just adore the art direction. It's really, really good stuff.

And another great episode. This show is really fantastic. I can't believe how good it is, really. I'm not a Batman fan, I know next to nothing about the lore (only from the first three Arkham games and the entries there), but this season has me hooked. I love the portrayal of the villains, it's great seeing Bruce growing, slowly but surely and I just adore the art direction. It's really, really good stuff.

Yeah, they're doing such a great job going all-in on their portrayals of the villains with just the right touches, and I really like watching Bruce's progress.

The art direction is stunning.

This is something that popped up with BvS as well

And I think folks need to differ between something "being fun" and "having fun" with something. I think I have a ton of fun with Gotham because it has such an unique sense of humor, but it's never really fun. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. It's not trying to tell THAT type of story.

But it knows how to tell the one it wants and it does a bang up job with it!

This. It's great.

I'd also like to point out that Gotham did what is essentially the Lazarus Pit better than Arrow. They use the same brings-you-back-from-death-but-makes-you-insane concept but actually used it properly.

Magwik

Banned
Everything involving Bruce this episode was great. His conversation with Gordon about the legal process and the two arguing over it is ace.

Yes multiple thing are straight Burton.
CarolKaneGotham2.jpg

Paul-Reubens-and-Robin-Lord-Taylor-in-Gotham.jpeg
Penguin's parents.

The general tone and the weird Burton/TAS setting in time type thing as well.

Penguin

Today Forbes posted their power rankings of comic book shows.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...o-shows-currently-on-television/#4863bd5c3e48

9. Arrow
8. Supergirl
7. Legends of Tomorrow
6. Marvel's Agent Carter
5. Marvel's Daredevil
4. Gotham
1. The Flash

I disagree with almost all of this list, but what the heck is the requirement here?

Like it's not straight up superheroes or Agent Carter wouldn't be on... but it doesn't include Lucifer or iZombie?

First time?

Yeah. I was a little too young for it when it first aired, and I also thought I didn't need to watch it because people were saying it wasn't an accurate depiction of Orange County or Newport (where I live) so that upset me.

But now I can't get enough haha

I think McKenzie doesn't get enough credit for his acting on this show because he's not really a character actor. Nigma, Penguin, Jerome and some of the others are just so full of character that it's easy to miss the more subtle work being done, but I appreciate the balance a lot.

strafer

Yeah. I was a little too young for it when it first aired, and I also thought I didn't need to watch it because people were saying it wasn't an accurate depiction of Orange County or Newport (where I live) so that upset me.

But now I can't get enough haha

I think McKenzie doesn't get enough credit for his acting on this show because he's not really a character actor. Nigma, Penguin, Jerome and some of the others are just so full of character that it's easy to miss the more subtle work being done, but I appreciate the balance a lot.

The OC is probably my top favorite teen drama show. Second being One Tree Hill.

Wish The OC had more seasons.

What season are you by the way?

strafer

I've been watching with my boyfriend so it's kind of slow going. I think we should finish the first season tomorrow.

You can PM me if you want to talk more about it. I don't want to keep derailing this wonderful thread :p

Woah, well you're in for a ride.

And yeah, let's not derail this thread.

I also think there is a LTTP The OC thread somewhere.

good god is this show just consistently so fun. BD Wong's best role if you ask me. They let him just goof around with it and you can tell he's enjoying the hell out of playing Hugo Strange.

Azrael stuff was pretty much a quick little look at how batman would work in the show. Interesting how he's basically the lynchpin for bruce's batman inspiration now haha.

I'd also like to point out that Gotham did what is essentially the Lazarus Pit better than Arrow. They use the same brings-you-back-from-death-but-makes-you-insane concept but actually used it properly.

gotham season 2 is pretty much the standard for entertaining comic book tv imo. bruno heller > berlanti/kreisberg by a landslide.

jrush64

Banned
The OC is probably my top favorite teen drama show. Second being One Tree Hill.

Wish The OC had more seasons.

What season are you by the way?

Nah. I think the OC is perfect with just 4 seasons. The 4th Season is just so good and perfect.

One Tree Hill is a show that should have ended with the 4th Season or at least the 5th Season.

KevinCow

Banned
I clipped a bit at the beginning and could've cut the size down by a third by cutting the end when it zooms closer up but I liked the cape part so I kept it.

S2YOjRb.gif

I like how there's no real reason for him to be up there. Literally the only reason he climbed up there was for that dramatic shot.

strafer

Nah. I think the OC is perfect with just 4 seasons. The 4th Season is just so good and perfect.

One Tree Hill is a show that should have ended with the 4th Season or at least the 5th Season.

If they did they should have ended when Lucas and Peyton left the show though.

Still, I enjoyed the later seasons. Some episodes were really tugging on the old heartstrings. :p

Especially one particular Dan episode.

Asbel

good god is this show just consistently so fun. BD Wong's best role if you ask me. They let him just goof around with it and you can tell he's enjoying the hell out of playing Hugo Strange.

Azrael stuff was pretty much a quick little look at how batman would work in the show. Interesting how he's basically the lynchpin for bruce's batman inspiration now haha.

gotham season 2 is pretty much the standard for entertaining comic book tv imo. bruno heller > berlanti/kreisberg by a landslide.
They let all the villains have fun with the roles, especially the crazy ones, that's what makes so many of them so good.

Turin

Banned
Nygma was my favorite this episode(Hugo's a close second). Love him nosing around Arkham.

Azrael was great. James Frain seemed to be having a lot more fun.

Today Forbes posted their power rankings of comic book shows.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...o-shows-currently-on-television/#4863bd5c3e48

9. Arrow
8. Supergirl
7. Legends of Tomorrow
6. Marvel's Agent Carter
5. Marvel's Daredevil
4. Gotham
1. The Flash

Daredevil should be ahead of JJ. I mean JJ was better than s1 Daredevil but season 2 was on another level. LoT should be 9 and Arrow should be higher as well. JJ should only move down to 4th and Gotham to 5th.

jrush64

Banned
How the hell is Agents of Shield not number 9? Ahead of Arrow or even Supergirl? Yeah right. Daredevil should be number 1 or 2 though.

If they did they should have ended when Lucas and Peyton left the show though.

Still, I enjoyed the later seasons. Some episodes were really tugging on the old heartstrings. :p

Especially one particular Dan episode.

I know that Dan episode. Was pretty great. I wasnt able to finish the whole show though because it just dragged on. When Lucas and Peyton left, it should have definitely ended.

Asbel

Nygma was my favorite this episode(Hugo's a close second). Love him nosing around Arkham.

Azrael was great. James Frain seemed to be having a lot more fun.
Yeah, I liked Nygma the best despite it being Azraels episode and Azrael being pretty good in it. I'm glad Nygmas becoming a potential threat so soon. I'm going to predict that he takes over the villains after Strange gets taken down.

Daredevil should be ahead of JJ. I mean JJ was better than s1 Daredevil but season 2 was on another level. LoT should be 9 and Arrow should be higher as well. JJ should only move down to 4th and Gotham to 5th.

Daredevil S2 was on another level from S1 in the sense that it fell of a damn cliff, I guess. No way I'd rank Daredevil's average above JJ's. Only really great parts of DD S2 were the ones with
Fisk

I'd call this fair if we're taking averages of all available seasons, though Arrow should be a little higher and AoS should be hanging out around #5. Gotham should be an easy lock for #1 or #2, above Flash but maybe below JJ.

Actually I guess I wouldn't call it fair at all, lol.

Misha

Banned
lilith convinced me to check back into this show a bit ago since i was complaining about the lack of good live action Riddlers. I skipped the rest of last season(might go back to that eventually) but loved every minute of this season. The episode where Nygma set up that series of riddles to get Gordon arrested was great and I can't wait to see what else they'll do with the character.

Some scenes like the magician one with jerome and the 20 or so penguins trying to kill Galavan remind me a lot more of Batman TAS than anything and of course the anachronistic styles and technology helps that a lot. It perfectly rides the line between campy and serious and creepy and just feels different from everything else out there.

probably my favorite of the superhero shows at this point. glad its been renewed

I haven't watched the most recent episode tho so I'll be getting to it as soon as I get home

Top Bottom