• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham S2 |OT| Dawn of Altruism - Mondays 8/7c

TreIII

I know it doesn't really matter...but how the hell Penguin knew where Galavan/Azrael was ?

My guess is maybe Tabitha told Butch that Azrael was coming for Bruce.

So it made sense to go visit Wayne Manor.

That, and it was just reasonable to presume that a Galavan that was somehow back to life would probably try to go after Bruce and/or Jim, again. And well, Galavan does already know where Bruce lives, and Jim would predictably go to where Bruce is, too.

Effect

Preview:
Guess they're going the route with Strange working for the Court of Owls based on that message from the woman in the mask. The show runners said they where going to do it. They've hinted at it here and there but this seems to be the most overt they've likely been if this is the case.

Slaythe

How is this show now ?

Gave it up in season 1, found it awful.

I'm aware it might be just "not for me", so I completely understand you guys can enjoy it.

Do you think they improved the quality by a lot or it's pretty much the same ?

Should I give it another go ?

I'm a fan of batman but I wasn't impressed at all by how they handled the universe.

How is this show now ?

I'm aware it might be just "not for me", so I completely understand you guys can enjoy it.

I'm a fan of batman but I wasn't impressed at all by how they handled the universe.
S2 is honestly one of the most enjoyable tv series I have ever watched.

How is this show now ?

Season 2 is almost the Preacher of TV comic shows in that it's fully aware of how fucking ludicrous comics can be and capitalises on that. Of course it's nowhere near as well written as Preacher but it's a really fun ride and it's the best TV comic book show by a country mile right now.

KevinCow

Banned
How is this show now ?

Gotham has to have some kind of record for being the most improved show from season 1 to season 2.

Season 1 was kinda slow and they were still trying to figure out what kind of show they even wanted to be. It started to get its footing about halfway through, when it came back from the winter break, but it still wasn't great. I can't really blame you for giving up on it.

Season 2, however, has been completely insane, in a good way. I definitely recommend giving the show another shot.

Xemnas89

Can always count on gotham for a good time this season. Never expected theo to be taken out by a rocket launcher but this is gotham so the most insane option usually is the right one.

Oddduck

How is this show now ?

It depends on what your problems were with Season 1. Season 2 is a very, very different show from Season 1. What was the last episode that you watched in Season 1? At the very least, I would suggest watching the last four episodes of Season 1, and then binge through Season 2.

Season 1 was about the mob wars between Falcone, Maroni, Fish Mooney, and Penguin. Season 1 felt more like a typical crime / detective show.

Season 2 is a straight up comic book show. It fully embraces the camp and insanity of its comic book source material. The tone, pacing, and structure is very different. Season 2 is a lot more serialized than Season 1. They ditched crime-of-the-week episodes, and instead do mini-arcs whenever they introduce villains. The villains in Season 2 (like Dr. Hugo Strange) are wayyyy more interesting than the villains in Season 1.

To enjoy Gotham, you have to accept two things.

1) The show takes place in its own unique, alternative universe. The show takes liberties with the source material to establish its unique universe of characters. Throw canon out the window when you watch this show and enjoy the crazy ride.

2) The show has a unique tone unlike anything on television -- a mix of dark comedy, camp, and gruesome violence. The show isn't trying to be some super serious crime drama like The Wire or True Detective. It's a wacky show that takes place in a comic book world where a lot of ridiculous things happen.

Xemnas89

Season 2 feels like it's written by the inmates of Arkham and I mean that in the best way possible. This season embraces insanity and the show is better for it. I don't know how someone could watch this season and not enjoy it.

Oddduck

I can't figure out why this show is not more popular, especially among the many subpar comic shows out there

I think the biggest problem is that Gotham is so different from every other comic book show.

It's not a traditional superhero show. It's a prequel show. It's not part of the Greg Berlanti Arrowverse.

KOMANI

KOMANI
The show is A Lot of fun. I get pure enjoyment watching... Then add the bat culture... Mwah, bellisemo.
I'm so hyped for the court of owls

Slaythe

Alright you convinced me.

I'll give it another go.

What can I skip ? Cause I'm not gonna endure that season 1's beginning again and I forgot most of what happened.

i probably quit at episode 4 or 5. The delivery was also painful in those episodes from what I remember.

I understand dark comedy, but they clearly had not mastered it back then and it was cheesy in a bad way.

I trust you guys though. Can somebody do me a quick summary of season 1 minus the finale ? I'll watch the 4 last episodes of it I guess.

Luigi87

omg, just finished the episode.

That scene + music of Penguin and Butch was just amazing XD

Alright you convinced me.

I'll give it another go.

What can I skip ? Cause I'm not gonna endure that season 1's beginning again and I forgot most of what happened.

i probably quit at episode 4 or 5. The delivery was also painful in those episodes from what I remember.

I understand dark comedy, but they clearly had not mastered it back then and it was cheesy in a bad way.

I trust you guys though. Can somebody do me a quick summary of season 1 minus the finale ? I'll watch the 4 last episodes of it I guess.

Yeah, the final arc of season 1 is worth watching, then basically all of season 2. Everything else in season 1... eh, not all that important really (Arkham Asylum was reopened... and that's the main thing).

Can they just play that music every time Butch shows up? That was amazing.

With the way Strange is creating almost every Batman villain ever, I wouldn't be surprised if the show had Harvey Dent knocking on Arkham's door and have Strange open the door,immediately splash acid on Dent's face, spin him around, and give him a push out the door.

Can they just play that music every time Butch shows up? That was amazing.

With the way Strange is creating almost every Batman villain ever, I wouldn't be surprised if the show had Harvey Dent knocking on Arkham's door and have Strange open the door,immediately splash acid on Dent's face, spin him around, and give him a push out the door.

Nah bruv. Important villains like Penguin/Catwoman/Nigma don't have shit to do with Strange. Strange exists as a totally awesome means of getting B-tier villains into the universe.

AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA of course they'd have a rocket launcher! That was amazing, just amazing, I'd make a GIF but without the music it just wouldn't do that scene justice.

Best mainstream comic based series on TV? Yes.

Jessica Lucas is ridiculously good looking.

DependentPrestigiousBustard-size_restricted.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
The rocket launcher kill was so over the top, even for this show. That combined with the music was a hilarious moment.

Wasn't in love with the rest of the episode. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone comes to save the hero at the last moment, and that happened twice within a few minutes of each other.

The Firefly and Selina moment felt a bit abrupt. The costume looked way better when she was in the darkness and it seemed like the mask covered her mouth too.

Alfred is not to be missed with. He faired way better than anyone else taking on Theo.

Can't believe we only have two episodes left. I have no clue where the rest of the season will go.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
The rocket launcher kill was so over the top, even for this show. That combined with the music was a hilarious moment.

Wasn't in love with the rest of the episode. One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone comes to save the hero at the last moment, and that happened twice within a few minutes of each other.

The Firefly and Selina moment felt a bit abrupt. The costume looked way better when she was in the darkness and it seemed like the mask covered her mouth too.

Alfred is not to be missed with. He faired way better than anyone else taking on Theo.

Can't believe we only have two episodes left. I have no clue where the rest of the season will go.
TRUTH!!! I thought the exact same thing! When she was in shadow, I was like, "Damn that's a slick costume and the mask even looks like the comics" Then she stepped into the light and I was like "Oh..." Well at least the rest of the costume is bad ass.

KevinCow

Banned
What's the deal with people being promoted to this show's main cast and then never actually showing up on the show? Like Harvey Dent and Lucius Fox are technically main cast members, they're in the opening credits every week, but both of them have hardly even appeared this season, much less been involved in the story in any meaningful way.

Xemnas89

What's the deal with people being promoted to this show's main cast and then never actually showing up on the show? Like Harvey Dent and Lucius Fox are technically main cast members, they're in the opening credits every week, but both of them have hardly even appeared this season, much less been involved in the story in any meaningful way.

It's part of the Gotham insanity. Still convinced inmates from Arkham are actually running this show now.

Top Bottom