• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOTY 2005 is now $19.99

AniHawk

SolidSnakex said:
It's a great game and all, I won't argue that. It's just not "that" good, the level its been put at with some. Not with those crippled ass controls.

Hey, Capcom didn't make the DS2.

And soon comes the PC version, then the xbox 360 version and finally the wonderswan version.

I personally can't wait to play it on a portable.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
SolidSnakex said:
It's a great game and all, I won't argue that. It's just not "that" good, the level its been put at with some. Not with those crippled ass controls.
excuse me? not once did I have problem with RE4 controls.... what game were you playing?

Error2k4 said:
excuse me? not once did I have problem with RE4 controls.... what game were you playing?

The one thats an action game and still doesn't have controls that work well with the genre (as in moving while shooting). It's the same controls as every other RE games, but with a camera locked behind Leon.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Overrated is so abused. I loathe it. Games are received as they are received.
I agree. The term overrated only means that you think your opinion is better than other peoples. To use it means that you alone have pegged the universal, inherent value of the game, which others have failed to see.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Billy Rygar said:
I agree. The term overrated only means that you think your opinion is better than other peoples. To use it means that you alone have pegged the universal, inherent value of the game, which others have failed to see.

But I'm right, though. :(

Reilly

Billy Rygar said:
The term overrated only means that you think your opinion is better than other peoples.

So you have opinions on things that you think aren't better than other peoples? :lol

Billy Rygar said:

Thank you!! I pretty much don't bother even using that word to describe any game, it loses so much context with such overuse. That a things like "...far from perfect..", yeah really perfect so what is this game that we should use as a guide to perfection?!!

Tain

Yeah, but if you know how to identify an opinion, why would you take offense to it being presented as fact?

Overrated is so abused. I loathe it. Games are received as they are received.
I can't say I recieved RE4 quite as well as others.

Tain said:
Yeah, but if you know how to identify an opinion, why would you take offense to it being presented as fact?
It's not that. It's people who jump all over people's opinions by saying they are "overrated" which implies a position superiority as in "I can't believe you people don't see what I do in this game." To be sure the same applies to "underrated." Otherwise it is perfectly acceptable to not like a game.

Reilly

Billy Rygar said:
No. I am saying an opinion is only valid as an opinion. Not as fact.

You mean that's what an opinion is? :lol

explain this post though.

Billy Rygar said:
The term overrated only means that you think your opinion is better than other peoples.

btw, any mod looking to ban me again for voicing my opinion of RE4 (which I haven't). I didn't start any of this.

siege said:
The dumb Sonybots who can't like RE4 because it is on GC as well need to die a fiery death.

As do the Nbots who believe RE4 is the Game of the Century, and the best action game ever. It isn't.

Reilly said:
explain this post though.
To say something is overrated is to say that you have rated it lower than others, and that their rating is therefore too high based on that, that in order to be correct they need to lower the score they have given it to accurately reflect your own.

Reilly said:
btw, any mod looking to ban me again for voicing my opinion of RE4. I didn't start any of this.

It doesn't matter. It was a civilized hate-on until people saw your avatar -- then it turned into batshit semantic insanity. Your ban will be swift and merciless. Start gazing toward skyward.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The one thats an action game and still doesn't have controls that work well with the genre (as in moving while shooting). It's the same controls as every other RE games, but with a camera locked behind Leon.
even without the ability to move while shooting I didn't have any problems with Leon besides the game was design around that, that's why when you shoot an enemy in the head he will stop and if he is running and you shoot him in the leg he'll fall it's not like that game AI takes advantage of you because you can't move while shooting.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
God of War IS overrated because:

It has a gamebreaking glitch, as well as others
It is a button masher
It has shallow combat, compared to the other action games released around the time it was
The puzzles were dumb as hell, and nowhere near as taxing as they claimed
It was entirely to short--8 hours is how long it took me to beat it...on my first try--
The extras SUCKED! A fucking phone number, and other stuff you can easily see (similar to it) on IGN
The character was terrible and not at all as badass as they claimed him to be: He lost points for being an emo suicidal, and then more for begging for his life when he was about to get the hell owned out of him
HIt detection is almost non-existant: WTF @ the enemies still moving forward while getting slapped with HUGE ASS BLADES
The last boss fight was OUT OF PLACE and more of a chore than anything
Difficulty is almost non-existant.

There...happy?

Reilly

Billy Rygar said:
To say something is overrated is to say that you have rated it lower than others, and that their rating is therefore too high based on that, that in order to be correct they need to lower the score they have given it to accurately reflect your own.

So it's an opinion. glad we cleared that up.

Error2k4 said:
even without the ability to move without shooting I didn't have any problems with Leon besides the game was design around that, that's why when you shoot an enemy in the head he will stop and if he is running and you shoot him in the leg he'll fall it's not like that game AI takes advantage of you because you can't move while shooting.

Leg shot into spinning roundhouse kick combo for the win!! Or even better, the suplex!!

cvxfreak

SolidSnakex said:

It's the Dual Shock 2's fault.

cvxfreak

HomerSimpson-Man said:
No it really ain't. You can't shoot while moving in RE4.

Oh, I was actually talking about SSX's complaints for the controls. Not the moving-while-shooting. Quoted the wrong post.

Am I the only one who LIKES the RE control scheme (at least in 4)? Being able to shoot while moving would destroy the game. Of course, they could change the game to where that wouldn't be so, but then it wouldn't be RE and it wouldn't have won a bucketload of accolades (even though I don't think it was even the best game from its company it its genre...)..

Tain

I don't have a huge problem with people actually stating that they think something's overrated, but 99% of the time it's a spontaneous actiong done for attention's sake, and it usually leads to them acting like they have a personal hatred towards a piece of software. Even outside of those cases, though, it's probably usually just better to say that you didn't like xxx and the reasoning behind it.

It's the same controls as every other RE games, but with a camera locked behind Leon.

Kinda. I thought there were only three levels of vertical aiming in the old RE games, which would make the free aiming in RE4 a huge deal.

As far as moving while shooting goes... The game is slow as hell. It has a huge focus on all of the things las plagas can do, like their reactions to getting hit and little things like shooting projectiles out of the air. I think it was a pretty cool limit to place on the player to allow for some interesting situations.

In regards to control RE4 truely is the one that actually works because the graphic engine actually accounts for it's movement that it's doesn't become detrimental to it, turning and all of it is still concentrated on what the character see's. What he sees is what you see, no more judgement calls with sudden camera shifts, it's totally up to you.

cvxfreak

Oldschoolgamer said:
Not even close. You can move and shoot in Outbreak file 2--if I'm not mistaking--.

You just can't move and shoot in RE4.

:lol I thought he was talking about those imprecisions stuck in the PS2 one.

Whoops.

Although thanks to the GC's superior control, you didn't need a strafe in order to make up for control imprecisions.

AniHawk

Oldschoolgamer said:
God of War IS overrated because:

It has a gamebreaking glitch, as well as others
It is a button masher
It has shallow combat, compared to the other action games released around the time it was
The puzzles were dumb as hell, and nowhere near as taxing as they claimed
It was entirely to short--8 hours is how long it took me to beat it...on my first try--
The extras SUCKED! A fucking phone number, and other stuff you can easily see (similar to it) on IGN
The character was terrible and not at all as badass as they claimed him to be: He lost points for being an emo suicidal, and then more for begging for his life when he was about to get the hell owned out of him
HIt detection is almost non-existant: WTF @ the enemies still moving forward while getting slapped with HUGE ASS BLADES
The last boss fight was OUT OF PLACE and more of a chore than anything
Difficulty is almost non-existant.

There...happy?

Yeah, that boss fight was so out of place. Who would have thought you'd be fighting the very thing you'd been playing the whole game to fight against.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
C- Warrior said:
Wow, I don't even need to criticize God of War anymore, more than enough of GAF is stepping up :lol

At least some of them see the light. :D

The problem with the last fight is that it is incredibly lame, not that it is out of place. Perhaps he means the way the fight plays out, in which case I would agree. You fight him legitimately for five seconds then it goes into this contrived format that leaves a bad taste in one's mouth.

Wow. It's far too easy to get some of you guys defensive :lol

Just to make things clear: I at no point said anything of RE4's quality. It's an awesome game to say the least but I personally think that both God Of War and Guitar Hero are better games that I personally enjoyed much more. Maybe if I hadn't played the previous REs then maybe it would've faired higher for me, personally. It's just that it's like the 6th damn RE game and that Capcom has obviously had more than enough time to make this game as good as it was through trial and error of their previous efforts. But still, the fact that GoW and GH were both a lot more enjoyable for me personally and that both were original IPs makes them much more deserving of praise from me, personally.

But make no mistake. RE4 has just as many problems as either GoW or GH. It's just your various biases (or preferences) that determine your tolerance level of forgiveness for any and all.

So all of you RE4 fanwhores out there might just want to calm down a bit and realize that although my opinion(s) may differ, my original post was just a joke.

Top Bottom