• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 4 Mobile to be PS2 port

DavidDayton said:
Personally, I found this funny because so many of the GBA detractors wail for hours upon end about the GBA being nothing but a "SNES port system", then the first Sony 1st party title for the PSP is revealed to be a port.

It's not the first, it's just the most high profile title.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
The very last party which should be balking at the risk in supplying the PSP with major, original support is a premier first-party developer.

AlphaSnake:
Because don't forget, back then, according to the seconday sources "Toy Story graphics" were promised by Sony -- when Sony said no such thing...ever.
The Toy Story association was actually started by Sony. From the early press materials after the system's unveiling:

"The new microprocessor will allow users to handle nearly 50 times more 3-D image data compared with Sega Enterprises Ltd.'s (7964) Dreamcast game console. It will also let users produce game characters comparable in image quality to Walt Disney's Toy Story."

Greekboy

Banned
Wario64 said:
Portstation Portable indeed

Please not another GBA. Hopefully the DS doesn't do likewise.

Scoobert said:
Yes their are ports on the GBA, but they are from the snes. That's what, 2 generations? It's really not the same situation here.

That's because the GBA is underpowered.

Phoenix

Scoobert said:
And sure you could get both, but why would you buy the same exact game twice? Maybe I just don't understand portable gaming.

Because when I'm at work, on a plane travelling, or 'on the go', I can't lug around my HDTV, Receiver, speakers, PS2, etc. That's the ONLY reason for portable gaming - to take the games with you. In instances such as these I'm more likely to only purchase the portable version.

Deg

Banned
Lisa Lashes said:
That's because the GBA is underpowered.

So the DS and PSP are normal? Its funny most of the people arguing here will not be buying either system due to price alone ;)

Greekboy

Banned
Deg said:
So the DS and PSP are normal? Its funny most of the people arguing here will not be buying either system due to price alone ;)

What is normal? The GBA SP is still overpriced yet people still buy it.

andthebeatgoeson

People, can you please stop badmouthing Sony? They are flawless, kneel at their feet and watch them learn you right.

This thread is a disaster but that's what always happens with Sony damage control. The evil side of me would get some enjoyment of the PSP failing just to see the reaction around here.

skinnyrattler said:
People, can you please stop badmouthing Sony? They are flawless, kneel at their feet and watch them learn you right.

Yah it's just a bunch of Sony damage control. No "Sony does nothing right, the PSP graphics will acutally look like pre PSone graphics and will still only have a 15 minute battery life with a 15lbs wrist batter to lug around with you" going on at all.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I've seen alot more anti Sony where the PSP is concerned, actually. Sony's PR people have to be wondering what the hell is going on. It's almost like we're dealing with Betamax or the MiniDisc, here (sure feels like it)

Lost Weekend said:
I've seen alot more anti Sony where the PSP is concerned, actually. Sony's PR people have to be wondering what the hell is going on. It's almost like we're dealing with Betamax or the MiniDisc, here (sure feels like it)

Then you consider that Sony's looking to clear out the last place of 2D gamers so the hating among hardcore gamers will be ramped up, while casuals won't care about 2D going away.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I suppose that could be a part of it, but mostly I'm talking about the negative image of the PSP that some members of the press are putting out, the analysts, and even some of Sony's software partners. It's the biggest ball of Sony bashing that I've seen in quite some time.

Greekboy

Banned
Lost Weekend said:

I don't think Sony caters to MS or Nintendo fanboys.

Lost Weekend said:
I suppose that could be a part of it, but mostly I'm talking about the negative image of the PSP that some members of the press are putting out, the analysts, and even some of Sony's software partners. It's the biggest ball of Sony bashing that I've seen in quite some time.

Sony isn't going to get a free ride in a market that they've proven nothing in. People are going to be skeptcal and i'm sure Sony expects. It also hasn't been that long since members of the press have doubted Sony either. When the PS2 was getting ready to launch many people in the press said it had no chance of competing and the PSone was basically a fluke.

If anything it seems like people are underestiming what they're capable of, and i'm sure they wouldn't mind that happening again.

Greekboy

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
Oh no no no. I wasn't talking about fanboys actually, see my post above.

Caught your post after the fact but I've seen and read mainly positive things about the PSP. People are mostly concerned about the price and battery life issues but most of the whining and crying about the PSP is found on boards like these. "Sony is killing 2D gaming"....."Nintendo knows handhelds the best"..."OMG the DS is amazing and PSP sux".....blah..blah..and more blah.

GDGF

Soothsayer
SolidSnakex said:
If anything it seems like people are underestiming what they're capable of, and i'm sure they wouldn't mind that happening again.

Maybe, but when it's all said and done, the only entity who's underestimation would be beneficial to Sony would be Nintendo, and I don't really see that happening. I actually prefer this 'post Sony threat to the handheld' market Nintendo. If anything, their looming presence has lit a fire under Nintendo's ass and made them work overtime to turn the NDS into a hell of a machine with a hell of a lineup.

Greekboy

Banned
Lost Weekend said:
If anything, their looming presence has lit a fire under Nintendo's ass and made them work overtime to turn the NDS into a hell of a machine with a hell of a lineup.

Totally agree. Nintendo knows this isn't Atari or Sega coming after them.

Lost Weekend said:
It all depends on what you're reading I suppose :)

It comes with the territory when you are on top and want an even bigger piece of the pie. It just brings out more haters. Look how many people hated and still hate MS for coming into the home console arena.

andthebeatgoeson

SolidSnakex said:
Yah it's just a bunch of Sony damage control. No "Sony does nothing right, the PSP graphics will acutally look like pre PSone graphics and will still only have a 15 minute battery life with a 15lbs wrist batter to lug around with you" going on at all.
Of course, state the obvious. This argument is ridiculous on both sides, but the PR is crazy. First, tenchir called out an obvious hole in Sony's 'statements' and the first reaction was 'What about Nintendo/MS/Gameboy?' It's retarded and has been since the 20somethingish post.

Oh well, people are catching on to the ploy of 'Drive up the hype with ambiguous truths and sometimes outright lies then give them something less.'

jarrod

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Then you consider that Sony's looking to clear out the last place of 2D gamers so the hating among hardcore gamers will be ramped up, while casuals won't care about 2D going away.
Er, I dunno... I'd say there's some serious concerns about Sony's intention to literally create a new older, less casual handheld market out of thin air. It's not just people lamenting 2D gaming, otherwise DS would be getting the exact same treatment. Right now what Sony's attempting with PSP just seems alarmingly risky, which is a real turn around from the "sure thing" PlayStation 2/3.

Personally, I really want Sony to succeed and find their footing in this market. I'd rather see PSP breaking records and see PS3 stumble a bit actually, allowing for more balance of power in gaming and heated competition all around. Ideally I'd like to see PSP gain over 40% marketshare and PS3 under 50%... but I'm not sure how realistic that is. :/

Top Bottom