• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

spwolf

amar212 said:
Systranet did a better job, so besides 20 minute intro :lol I understood this:

- regular monthly updates
- new, large update scheduled for 20th December
- possible inclusion of El Capitan, Seattle and New York, probably

GT5, last game you will ever buy
:D

amar212

spats said:
I could swear by my life that I saw a short glimpse of El Capitan in some early GT5 trailer. Must've not made the final cut or something.

It was an edited part of GTPSP intro if I recall well, but Solid should know better.

dwebo said:
Sounds like we covered most of the bases amar
Go machine translation! :lol
Not really sure what the GT kids stuff is all about, but it doesn't sound like anything most of us would be interested in anyway.

Gran Turismo for Kids is some original concept he's been talking about for years now, I recall it early as 2003 during GT4: Prologue time.

Backthen, he talked about having separate project, named Gran Turismo for Boys where young and unexperienced players would be given an opportunity to have a true GT game made with their age and comprehension-abilities as gameplay-design prerequisite.

In his idea, it would be a game with many small challenges (something like expanded Licenses/Special Events I presume) made with small and fun cars on various settings and circuits. It was his vision of preparing the youngsters for an challenges of the big-boys games.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=186176

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/575/575913p1.html

chico

for 2011 im really glad ive also a ps3. would be utterly dissapointed as i have no interest at all in Kinect and its casual games.

sadaiyappan

How many watts does the DFGT wheel need? I want to get a voltage converter, I found a 200 watt converter on ebay for about $10. Is 200 watts enough?

Just did my first Ring-lap in my GTR with Just-One Second (Apex Remix) blasting through my speakers....

One of the best moments in my gaming year. DAMN ! :lol

Dead Man

amar212 said:
Systranet did a better job, so besides 20 minute intro :lol I understood this:

- regular monthly updates
- new, large update scheduled for 20th December
- possible inclusion of El Capitan, Seattle and New York, probably

Nice interview, very deep regarding the series history.

Systranet is perfect for this, but you have to copy/paste the parts.
El Capitan has me interested.

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Unless these tracks will be a part of some kind of new A/B-Spec Events, then I dont give a shit.

Sure, they're great tracks to race online with, but dont make them MP only =/
But yes, this is important.

Steroyd

mrklaw said:
Got to level 30 b-spec and wondering ifmthe Suzuka 1000km is a 'fire and forget' event or needs babysitting?

Also unlocked the red bull x1 challenge so will have a look at that later for a laugh

It's a fire and forget with the Minolta but takes about 7+ hours to comlpete a race.

The AI makes some stupid decisions regarding tires with the weather though, my driver was on intermediates driving just fine, then decided to pit in and put on racing hard then proceeded to slide all over the place on the track thankfully I lapped 2nd place 4 times already and they also made the same retarded decisions regarding tires as well.

Had the race been close it would have been one hell of a headache.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Steroyd said:
It's a fire and forget with the Minolta but takes about 7+ hours to comlpete a race.

The AI makes some stupid decisions regarding tires with the weather though, my driver was on intermediates driving just fine, then decided to pit in and put on racing hard then proceeded to slide all over the place on the track thankfully I lapped 2nd place 4 times already and they also made the same retarded decisions regarding tires as well.

Had the race been close it would have been one hell of a headache.

hmm, if it takes 7hrs its more efficient to run the Indy 500 a few times? Although good for an overnight run.. Have you tried the Formula GT or is the minolta faster?

Steroyd

mrklaw said:
hmm, if it takes 7hrs its more efficient to run the Indy 500 a few times? Although good for an overnight run.. Have you tried the Formula GT or is the minolta faster?

I haven't got the Formula GT yet. :(

You get 350k xp so you only need to do it 3 times to get to level 31.

If you leave it on all night you'll wake up just in time to see your driver pass the finishing line. :lol :|

So, ermmmm, I don't post here on GAF much at all(have browsed for years tho)and I've noticed, ermmmmm...quite a lot of GT5 bitching here lately which has given me an eyesore and thought I would come here an even up the balance a little.

Its funny how I find gutterboy44 and seattle6418 to have very solid and valid complaints in terms of the actual game design and NOT the driving. It's only how you guys put across your complaints which comes off as slightly fatiguing to read lol

I guess I'm perhaps a different breed of gamer and with GT5, even though some things are admittedly shockingly bad, I probably fall into the 5% category (correct me if I'm wrong) of people who get immense pleasure from watching replay's while listening to Fleetwood Mac, Fine Young Cannibals or Cyndi Lauper while not giving a sh*t about completing all of the events...as long as I have gained my Ferrari 458, Lambo Murcie SV and Mclaren F1.

Gameplay is vitally important to me but depending on the game, graphics are just as important. Self confessed graphics here through and through.

Picture this:
With my 458 Prancing Horse, I choose to "A-Spec Free Run" on the Nurb Nordschleife with weather & time of day. Practice time starts at night into the early morning. As my engine screams like there's no tomorrow when its pedal to the metal, I witness sunrise and see the golden hues of the sun reflect on the dashboard. I'm in the presence of magnificence. As the world around me is fully lit, cloud and mist form and before you know it, small droplets of rain hit the windscreen, then its an all out rage storm threatening to force my 458 to make sweet love with any nearby railings/fences.
End of session.

Replay time.
Watching all of the above in my replay listening to REO Speedwagon(Take It On The Run) or The Delphonics(Didn't I blow Your Mind) is one of the most beautiful things I have ever witnessed in a video game.
Hell, if I want to stroke my ego, I'll play some of my own damn Cuthbert 80 music:

http://www.myspace.com/cuthbert80

http://http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/when-he-came-around/id399717453

I am NOT ashamed of this shameless plug.

Apart from the laughably bad shadows 73% of the time and 8-bit mode on cars going through particle effects(snow/dirt/heavy rain), everything else graphically is stupendous.
It looks shockingly good at times and this is from someone who is directly related to the "PC Master Race" lol. I have Crysis + Mods on a not too shabby machine but at certain times, GT5 is out of this friggin universe.

The icing on the cake is that as well as looking wonderful most of the time, the actual driving model and physics are astounding which really is a bonus for me which means I can play the damn game even more instead of just gushing over the graphics lol (Spent 93.2% of my time watching replays in Prologue than actually playing :s)

Why worry about trying to finish an intelligence insulting Formula GT championship or trying to gold all licences/special events when you can simply time-trial drive a white Zonda R on Laguna Seca going flat out with no assists/driving aids then listen to Kate Bush watching the fu**ing splendid replay?

I won't bother posting the serious flaws in this game as I'm sure everyone is wellllllllll aware of them just by reading the last few pages of this thread alone lol but there are some things that this game does right...

*ahem* Sorry for the long ass post guys :/

What's the verdict on the Driving Force GT? Getting GT5 as a gift for Christmas and I've never used a wheel before. Worth the $100 or is it really cheap?

Oh, and to add in: After 3 weeks of daily playing, the only thing I'd want is XP gaining for online racing. I don't really need the money at this point, it is just the XP grinding that is killing me.

Zoink

Steroyd said:
If you leave it on all night you'll wake up just in time to see your driver pass the finishing line. :lol :|
Thats exactly what happened this morning! A wet race & took over 8 hours in a 908 but won by a few laps with zero input from me. It always seems most efficient to be doing the highest level endurance race you can.

Damaged

opticalmace said:
What's the verdict on the Driving Force GT? Getting GT5 as a gift for Christmas and I've never used a wheel before. Worth the $100 or is it really cheap?

Got one a few weeks back, its my first wheel and so far Im really impressed. Its a bit plasticy but its solid, has pretty storng feedback and feels nice and accurate. Im sure that a G27 or whatnot would be much better but i dont have that kind of cash to spend so the GT suits me just fine

-Amon-

Cuthbert 80 said:
So, ermmmm, I don't post here on GAF much at all

I'm sorry of that, by what you write it looks as if we're on the same wawelenght :)

You described my feelings about gt perfectly.

Cuthbert 80 said:
...Its funny how I find gutterboy44 and seattle6418 to have very solid and valid complaints in terms of the actual game design and NOT the driving. It's only how you guys put across your complaints which comes off as slightly fatiguing to read lol...

If you go through this thread and OT1 you will find several posts of me gushing over how much I am in love with GT5 and I still am. I look forward to playing it every day I can. I have just hit that part of the new GT game relationship where the A spec has grinded to the endurance halt (in this case sooooo much more grinding, damn X1)

I apologized for the rants but as I approach 1000 game days I feel like those things that were little issues are starting to pile up. I am thinking Dec 20th patch might help further remedy my issues, maybe not design wise, but at least content. Fingers crossed for online XP at the very least and hopefully online money too.

I am considering starting a new GT5 game on a different account and re golding all drivers licenses and Special events then just having a GAF holiday blow out and giving them all away. I love those challenges :D

Edit: Hmm, wonder if you can even give away any of those prize cars?

PetriP-TNT said:
Grand Valley 300km here I come

zzzzz

That is probably the most enjoyable Enduro race. Very nostalgic for me too. I remember the good ol' days of 60 lap Grand Valley races. I would murder them with my FTO LM

Lawr.

Neo Member
UFRA said:
If my math skills are correct...

It takes me 4 minutes flat to do 5 laps on Indy Speedway with the fully modified ZR1.
The award is 98,000 credits.
Let's say, by the time I exit that race, and re-load it again and get back to racing it's 2 minutes max.

That means... every 6 minutes I earn 98,000.

so is this the event that yields the most $$$/time? I'm level 21, just about done all the Special Events and need WAY more cash...

Lawr. said:
so is this the event that yields the most $$$/time? I'm level 21, just about done all the Special Events and need WAY more cash...

Pretty sure it has been confirmed several times that it is the most efficient way to earn money in the game. I wish we had a quick restart race button after winning....cough.

gutterboy44 said:
That is probably the most enjoyable Enduro race. Very nostalgic for me too. I remember the good ol' days of 60 lap Grand Valley races. I would murder them with my FTO LM

In GT1 or GT2 I used to spin in the downhill right turn every time I was on Lap on 95/100 and lose the race.

edit: you get almost as much money as xp from the Grand Valley Endurance...

PetriP-TNT said:
In GT1 or GT2 I used to spin in the downhill right turn every time I was on Lap on 95/100 and lose the race.

It would be awesome if GT1 and GT2 went on PSN. Would buy those in a second.

amar212

PetriP-TNT said:

Which brings me to the point:

Is there anywhere any comprehensive list with nominations for XP/Cr for races in GT5? Have tried to search all over the GTP but no real comprehensive results.

UFRA said:
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Everything in that post is pure gold.

I'm so upset that there's no huge oval test track or a 1/4 mile strip.

My tradition in GT4:

-Buy or win a new car
-Eventually modify said car to the max
-Take car on test track, it is allowed 1 max speed test. Goes on my personal car leaderboard.
-Take car on 1/4 mile track. It's allowed one run. Goes on my personal car leaderboard.
-Sit and look at car leaderboard and be like "yeah, my ____ car is the fastest one I have. Sweeeeeeeeeet."

In GT5, I use the Top Gear track for my leaderboard of fully modified race cars only. Then, I created a custom course that basically tests everything from cornering, power, and high speed. This track is only for stock cars (non-race cars) and contains a separate leaderboard for regular production cars.

It just doesn't feel right though...
why not just use lemans with no chicanes..or Daytona....

theignoramus said:
Oh, okay, once I unlock the Vettel challenge, I'm in no rush to do anything with B-spec.
Once you unlock the Vettel challenge you'll probably want to continue grinding bspec to actually get the car... well, unless you have the reactions of a 12 year old, in which case you'll be fine. :lol

brentech

God I wish gtanywhere was working for days like this. Every 8 weeks I'm at the hospital getting Remicade infusions.
Would love to be making some bspec progress from this touch!

darkwing

brentech said:
God I wish gtanywhere was working for days like this. Every 8 weeks I'm at the hospital getting Remicade infusions.

don't worry, it will come soon

brentech said:

You can always use my Sling Box, Logitech PS3 adapter workaround for remote play until then :D

Steroyd

Psychotext said:
Have spent two days on this level up in bspec. That shit's just wrong.

It's going to take me a couple of days, my policy is B-spec overnight, A-spec during the day.

My B spec level is way beyond my A spec at this point. And I suck at rallying so no Loeb challenge xp for me. :(

Is there a way to do the Vettel challenge in slow motion. :lol

Guys,

Which Lambo should I actually purchase? I know there is a specific race coming up I need one for.
The thing is, the first one in the dealership drives really nice at least in arcade mode, but the other two (forgot the middle ones name) and the SV are very close in price. Should I just get the SV or would it be best to wait until Dec24th in the hopes Poly gives out that free murc?

paskowitz

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Guys,

Which Lambo should I actually purchase? I know there is a specific race coming up I need one for.
The thing is, the first one in the dealership drives really nice at least in arcade mode, but the other two (forgot the middle ones name) and the SV are very close in price. Should I just get the SV or would it be best to wait until Dec24th in the hopes Poly gives out that free murc?

Start off with the Gallardo, then get the SV when you have the $.

Goldrusher

Nostalgic Nightmare said:
Guys,

You need a Gallardo.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
gutterboy44 said:
If you get to level 35 B Spec you get a gift card for the X1

Jesus Christ, and the leveling from 13 on gets horrid in A AND B spec. How fucking long will it take to get to level 40 in both?

opticalmace said:

I bought the DFGT a few weeks ago and it was great. I returned it and upgraded to the G27 because, although the force feedback was great I wanted a bit more quality and better pedals (and a clutch). The upgrade was worth it. The force feedback is smoother, pedals are amazing, paddle shifters are metal and perfect, and build quality on it is top notch. The only thing I miss is the button placement and functions of them on the DFGT. Hopefully a future patch will help that out on the G27. That being said, if money was an issue and I had to keep the DFGT then I still would have been perfectly happy. The DFGT is probably an ideal wheel for starters and gives you the best bang for your buck. Get it, you will never want to play without a wheel again after experiencing it.

Patrick Bateman said:
I don't get Lambos. They are oversteering so much. Or is there an option I should switch off to prevent that?
Aren't they both 4WD? There is your answer if they are.

You can probably reduce it through adjustment but the very nature of 4WD is that it understeers.

TTG

Patrick Bateman said:
I don't get Lambos. They are oversteering so much. Or is there an option I should switch off to prevent that?

What? The Gallardo is one of the worst in terms of understeer. Complete shit to drive. The SV is fine.

Top Bottom