• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

Blu_LED said:
I bought a Challanger, and the thing gets up to about 110 and doesn't go over. It just stays in fourth gear. What kind of tuning would I do to it to allow it to keep accelerating?

Sorry for being such an idiot when it comes to cars. I know literally nothing.

transmission.

Blu_LED said:
I bought a Challanger, and the thing gets up to about 110 and doesn't go over. It just stays in fourth gear. What kind of tuning would I do to it to allow it to keep accelerating?

Buy the fully customisable transmission for it and increase the max speed in the tuning menu.

Blu_LED said:

Buy the transmission upgrade and tweak the ratios in the tuning options if need be.

edit

bloop.

dwebo

Stoffinator said:
I just noticed that Ken Kutaragi and Kaz Hirai are producers for this game.
Don't they get listed in most/all first party games? I swear I've seen their names in the credits of other stuff.

Stoffinator

dwebo said:
Don't they get listed in most/all first party games? I swear I've seen their names in the credits of other stuff.

Yes, but as producers? Usually its under first party or head of SCE etc. Just struck me as odd.

Blu_LED said:

What fu3lfr3nzy said. And don't worry about not knowing car stuff. Most of us in here learn something new every time we enter the thread.

Truespeed

Krakatoa said:
Any impressions on the 3d in this game? Just wondering as I will probably be getting a 3d tv soon.

There's a post in the GT5 thread by MazingerDUDE, on Beyond3D, for dialing it in just right with impressive results.

Bobo

Fuckity fuck fuck....................fuck.... Game freezes just as my b-spec driver finished the last race in the GT All stars championship. progress all gone, over an hour.... :(

darkwing

Bobo said:
Fuckity fuck fuck....................fuck.... Game freezes just as my b-spec driver finished the last race in the GT All stars championship. progress all gone, over an hour.... :(
hmm never had the game freeze on me yet

Oh fuck. My bête noire still haunts me. The muscle car championship.

Lv 15 B spec driver, with an 800+hp maxed '62 Buick Special, and he still can't win the fucking race. He just strolled nonchalantly through the finish line at Laguna Seca at a 6th fucking place. :lol

Bobo

SteelAttack said:
Oh fuck. My bête noire still haunts me. The muscle car championship.

Lv 15 B spec driver, with an 800+hp maxed '62 Buick Special, and he still can't win the fucking race. He just strolled nonchalantly through the finish line at Laguna Seca at a 6th fucking place. :lol
Power is nothing without control... :D I think I used the Corvette ZR1 'Race mod' for that in B-spec.

Bobo

SteelAttack said:
Ah shit. Thanks for the heads-up. There goes almost 600K...that I don't have right now. :lol
You have to speculate to accumulate... The ZR1 will more than pay for itself later in the American GT championship. (can't remember which level you unlock that event at...)

UFRA

So, I got a nice ZR1 Corvette and RM'd it, and then finished it up by purchasing any remaining upgrades in the tuning shop.

Then, I dominated the American Championship in Extreme. I still have all the other events to do in Extreme yet, but I'm so excited that I can do this one now. Grinding has finally become easy. No more BS 30,000 rewards for races. This is the big time.

If my math skills are correct...

It takes me 4 minutes flat to do 5 laps on Indy Speedway with the fully modified ZR1.
The award is 98,000 credits.
Let's say, by the time I exit that race, and re-load it again and get back to racing it's 2 minutes max.

That means... every 6 minutes I earn 98,000.

That's 980,000 per hour. HELL YEAH.

Again people, that's the American Championship - Indy Speedway race in Extreme. $$$$$

Edit: To the poster above, it's a level 23 event.

Edit 2: And I remember someone already mentioned this awesome event a few days ago, but I'm so happy right now that I finally am rolling in the cash lol. :p

UFRA

Shaneus said:
How much is that Vette?

The ZR1 is 187,000.

To RM it is 385,000.

Then you still have to buy a ton of other stuff for it since the RM process barely buys anything in the Tuning shop. Plan for yet another 120,000 or so to finish it up completely.

Well, I caved in, sold a few useless stuff on my garage and scrambled enough money to get the ZR1 and the RM.

As we speak, my slave is trying his luck at Laguna Seca with the RM ZR1. So far so good, lap 3 of 9, and already in second place. He's showing some balls I didn't know he had. He just pushed some dude aside while going down the corkscrew. And he's driving it without any further tuning besides the RM.

That was a kickass recommendation, guys, Thanks.

UFRA

SteelAttack said:
Well, I caved in, sold a few useless stuff on my garage and scrambled enough money to get the ZR1 and the RM.

As we speak, my slave is trying his luck at Laguna Seca with the RM ZR1. So far so good, lap 3 of 9, and already in second place. He's showing some balls I didn't know he had. He just pushed some dude aside while going down the corkscrew. And he's driving it without any further tuning besides the RM.

That was a kickass recommendation, guys, Thanks.

Man, you haven't seen anything yet! lol

If I remember correctly, the car has like mid 600-ish HP stock. Then, after I RM'd it, it only went up to around 690 something. Then, after I finished it up it was 877. However, after putting around 40 miles on it tonight the engine is starting to break-in and it's up to 884 now. :D

The thing is a total beast, you'll enjoy it 10x more once you're able to finish upgrading it.

beast786

old?

Lamborghini Murciélago LP 640

BMW M3 Coupe

Jaguar-XJ13

"These cars have seen design arrangements by Polyphony and fall under the "Chrome Line" series.

The cars will be distributed through PlayStation Store from December 24 through January 31. Anyone with GT5 will be able to make the download for free."

Melfice7

UFRA said:
Edit 2: And I remember someone already mentioned this awesome event a few days ago, but I'm so happy right now that I finally am rolling in the cash lol. :p

It was me biatch and i make it in 3:50 minutes not 6 :3

Dash Kappei said:
RM stands for? You'll excuse me, 6 am here. :lol

Racing modification

Dead Man

Was there someone looking for a lime green paint item before? I seem to recall it, but can't find it. Of course, it's entirely possible I have lost my mind. On the off chance I haven't, I have a lime green NSX to trade.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Got to level 30 b-spec and wondering ifmthe Suzuka 1000km is a 'fire and forget' event or needs babysitting?

Also unlocked the red bull x1 challenge so will have a look at that later for a laugh

UFRA

Melfice7 said:
It was me biatch and i make it in 3:50 minutes not 6 :3

Racing modification

I didn't say it takes me 6 minutes to do the race lol

It's about 4 minutes for the race itself, and then by the time you have to exit back to the A-Spec event screen, and then re-load the entire race again, I estimated it's a total of 6 minutes for one complete "cycle" lol. :p

beast786 said:
old?

BMW M3 Coupe

Jaguar-XJ13

"These cars have seen design arrangements by Polyphony and fall under the "Chrome Line" series.

The cars will be distributed through PlayStation Store from December 24 through January 31. Anyone with GT5 will be able to make the download for free."

great christmas gifts.

beast786 said:
old?

BMW M3 Coupe

Jaguar-XJ13

New to me, and a great gift it will be! Thanks for the heads up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Handycrap101 said:
I need that Jag to beat the classic race. Is it difficult to get by a Toyota 7 or Chapparel in the Jag?
If it's a chrome line jag like the facebook one, it doesnt have a date assigned to it, so you can't enter it in the historic cup. That's a tricky cup. IMO you need the Toyota 7 which you can win, if you don't want to spend 10mill on the chaparral J

Stoffinator

amar212

CrushDance said:
I have a JP PSN. Will DL regardless and gift to my primary PSN.

Will not work with non-JP version of the game though, because it installs itself into different folders for game-version usage (BLUS, BLES, there is BCES, etc..)

Hanmik

Damn I finally got my dirty hands on this game... and damn Nostalgia overload.. :lol driving on those old tracks on my PS3 in a new game.. ahhh that feels so great. Damn the first time you play this game (as a 35 year old who has played every other GT game), you just sit there and enjoy the warm feeling inside...

I know I´will develop somekind of love hate relationship with this game.. like I did with the other GT games on PS1 and PS2.. but for now, it´s all about love.. :D

EDIT: btw.. what is the best graphics setting for a HDTV ready owner..? 720P or 1080i and do you change some of the ingame settings.. ?

Hanmik said:
EDIT: btw.. what is the best graphics setting for a HDTV ready owner..? 720P or 1080i and do you change some of the ingame settings.. ?

For the love of god dont use 1080i :lol just stick to much superior 720p :D

Hanmik

fu3lfr3nzy said:
For the love of god dont use 1080i :lol just stick to much superior 720p :D

changed it to 720P as standard the minute I got the game.. the XMB just looks way to big right now, but GT5 looks way better in 720P.. but I thought I read something about some ingame options..? sharpen or something like that..? does any of those make the picture look better or worse when playing on 720P..?

amar212

Systranet did a better job, so besides 20 minute intro :lol I understood this:

- regular monthly updates
- new, large update scheduled for 20th December
- possible inclusion of El Capitan, Seattle and New York, probably

Nice interview, very deep regarding the series history.

Systranet is perfect for this, but you have to copy/paste the parts.

dwebo

systranet keeps timing out for me :(. It seems like he's saying the next game (GT6) will probably be on the ps3, too, though he's not sure.

It's too bad the VW Scirocco and Ferrari Daytona didn't make it either.

Ah fuck it, I'll just wait for someone to translate this. I can't make sense of half this gibberish :lol

Does anybody even have their transmission unlocked at all here? What I mean is full customization of the transmission not just final. Gear 1-6 customization.

If so what level? If not what the fuck Kaz address this already.

It's pretty ridiculous that it's not in from the start. I hope PD patch in the Test track and the quarter mile testing. I love messing around with gear ratios and trying to get a faster time. It feels just wrong that all these are not in the game when it has been in the previous Gran Turismos.

amar212 said:

Unless these tracks will be a part of some kind of new A/B-Spec Events, then I dont give a shit.

Sure, they're great tracks to race online with, but dont make them MP only =/

UFRA

Crakatak187 said:
It's pretty ridiculous that it's not in from the start. I hope PD patch in the Test track and the quarter mile testing. I love messing around with gear ratios and trying to get a faster time. It feels just wrong that all these are not in the game when it has been in the previous Gran Turismos.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Everything in that post is pure gold.

I'm so upset that there's no huge oval test track or a 1/4 mile strip.

My tradition in GT4:

-Buy or win a new car
-Eventually modify said car to the max
-Take car on test track, it is allowed 1 max speed test. Goes on my personal car leaderboard.
-Take car on 1/4 mile track. It's allowed one run. Goes on my personal car leaderboard.
-Sit and look at car leaderboard and be like "yeah, my ____ car is the fastest one I have. Sweeeeeeeeeet."

In GT5, I use the Top Gear track for my leaderboard of fully modified race cars only. Then, I created a custom course that basically tests everything from cornering, power, and high speed. This track is only for stock cars (non-race cars) and contains a separate leaderboard for regular production cars.

It just doesn't feel right though...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Quaz's 3D settings info from the first thread

my 3D setting for a true orthostereosopic experience (and full depth)

Cockpit view with "very narrow" mode
Convergence: 0.9
Parallax: (size screen dependant)
65" = 6 or 7 (6 if you have a low interocular distance like 6.5cm or less, 7 if your interocular is near 7cm)
60" = 7
55" = 7 or 8 (7 if you have a low interocular like 6.5cm or less, 8 if your interocular is near 7cm)
50" = 8 or 9 (8 if you have a low interocular like 6.5cm or less, 9 if your interocular is near 7cm)
46" = 9
42/40/37" = 10

and if possible play at a distance of x1 diagonal of the screen for right FOV
it's agressive but very realist (and unforgettable) experience. i played lot of hours without problem
need a good TV with few ghosting (for me VT20 with contrast 30 and brightness 20 for hide ghosting)
this will be better if we would can OFF the HUD (depth conflict with some element of the dashboard when convergence is 0.9)

for other views (not cockpit) parallax 10 for all TV size and convergence 0.70
but it isn't orthostereoscopy or full depth

spats

amar212 said:
Systranet did a better job, so besides 20 minute intro :lol I understood this:

- regular monthly updates
- new, large update scheduled for 20th December

Nice interview, very deep regarding the series history.

Systranet is perfect for this, but you have to copy/paste the parts.

I could swear by my life that I saw a short glimpse of El Capitan in some early GT5 trailer. Must've not made the final cut or something.

Top Bottom