• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

HD gifs oO

Thats how I roll ;)

ibq5Jd4UZNDhCF.gif

Omiee

this is really weird, i selected the dlc pack in the store and pressed buy, after it charged my creditcard it did not download anything.

just show me something about family upgrade or something

this is really weird, i selected the dlc pack in the store and pressed buy, after it charged my creditcard it did not download anything.

just show me something about family upgrade or something

These DLC don't work as downloads. The content is already in the game, it simply activates a service. Go into the game and press the DLC icon, enable the DLC there. The family upgrade is so that the DLC works on all accounts.

Omiee

These DLC don't work as downloads. The content is already in the game, it simply activates a service. Go into the game and press the DLC icon, enable the DLC there. The family upgrade is so that the DLC works on all accounts.

oke nice thanks will try when ps3 finishes downloading the 12 updates.

sold my ps3 a while ago and just got GT5 again today.

on the other hand i lost my save so i can start from the start.

do i have to pay for the cars i bought as dlc or do i get them for free?

oke nice thanks will try when ps3 finishes downloading the 12 updates.

sold my ps3 a while ago and just got GT5 again today.

on the other hand i lost my save so i can start from the start.

do i have to pay for the cars i bought as dlc or do i get them for free?

You get them for free.

i-Lo

Hope that the PS4 will be able to feature Anti Aliasing and other qualitative graphical components that are shown in trailers of GT. What an even more gorgeous game it would be to behold.

Also, I really hope they redesign the UI for GT6 since it's still quite cumbersome (incl. the online portion).

Anyway, that footage of X1 on that track... *droooool*

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Kinda ridiculous and useless, not to mention boring.
Whats the point of this track really?

1/4 mile, 1/2 mile and 1 mile drag racing and straightline testing. I was really pissed that the game didn't have a track like GT3 and GT4 that recorded 1/4 mile times.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I'm always surprised how some of the people on here can post with an attitude that Sony/PD owe you something...

Buy the DLC and shut up and enjoy it...rather than screw your enjoyment over some pettiness...

Niks

1/4 mile, 1/2 mile and 1 mile drag racing and straightline testing. I was really pissed that the game didn't have a track like GT3 and GT4 that recorded 1/4 mile times.

Yeah I get that, my point is, that could have been done on an oval a quarter the size. Hell just make it a 15 km drag strip. A lap at 300km/h will take 6 mins.

I will still buy it... Im just a bit miffed about PD spending time building this gargantuan oval instead of a proper circuit.

dalin80

Banned
hmmm... I wonder what the point of a test track could be?

Should have been in from the start though, its a bit daft that GT5 was missing even basic testing facilities.

There are already dozens of normal race tracks just one oval for testing which has already existed for quite some time (it was used for various promo shoots and videos) isnt much to ask for for those of us who want to do some serious testing and straight line runs etc.

Polyphony

I think this picture from the photo thread deserves a cross-post :p

6693730599_1b25c73d7a_b.jpg

It boggles my mind that the R8 LMS is a standard car. I also noticed that the headlight shine looks even better than before since the re-implementation of bloom in photos.

Donos

Caved in because i needed a strong racing car and bought all the dlc. DAMN the Nissan GT-R R35 Touring car is soooooo sexy. And it's enough power for my sloppy B-Spec driver to win GT races.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Started my first B-Spec 24 hour race. I didn't realize what the clock symbol on the event button meant, but I'm surprised that it lets you run a race at night in a car with no lights. That would be somewhat problematic if I was doing that in A-Spec. :p

Darkkn

I've been getting back to the game and one thing still puzzles me. Tires. Is there ever reason to use anything other than racing soft? Seems that those just give much better grip than the other ones. I can hardly complete a clean lap with hard tires. WTF is the point of those?

It's also really annoying that garage listing shows wrong PP for many of my cars. Have to select the car to see the real number.

I've been getting back to the game and one thing still puzzles me. Tires. Is there ever reason to use anything other than racing soft? Seems that those just give much better grip than the other ones. I can hardly complete a clean lap with hard tires. WTF is the point of those?

It's also really annoying that garage listing shows wrong PP for many of my cars. Have to select the car to see the real number.

They exist only for people who can't afford super soft tires & want something better than the hardest tire. The way you get so little money from races & the cost of the tires does make it a viable gameplay addition.

Also for endurance races, having the softest tires is a big disadvantage.

They exist only for people who can't afford super soft tires & want something better than the hardest tire. The way you get so little money from races & the cost of the tires does make it a viable gameplay addition.

Also for endurance races, having the softest tires is a big disadvantage.

Woah woah woah, wait right there!

The degrees of hardness do influentiate grip, you are correct, and soft means better rubber deformation, but with the increased attrition, it wears faster.

The degrees of Comfort, Sport, Racing indicate the type of tire and it's usage. The thread grooves influentiate the amount of attrition so they change grip progressively too.
And they exist for simulation. Common road cars don't come with racing tires, because that's not the type of use they get.
And of course if you put racing softs in a race against everyone using sports hard (given your car is in the samel 'level') you are gonna clean the race.

You should accostume using comfort softs and sports hard, when you learn to drive with then, you get muuuuch better at deciding your lines.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
They also pit if their energy is low, and you can set what tires they change to in the Pit Strategy menu

That's the thing though, I don't set the strength in Pit Strategy, and this kept happening after the first pit that put a fresh (after having rested anyway) driver in the seat with brand new tires and a full tank of gas. As far as I know, having a different tire selection in strategy should mean nothing unless they're already pitting, unless you also have the strength level set. It's like they wanted to go out of their way to drive on worse tires.

Edit: As to the above post, I read somewhere (maybe here?) that someone actually did some tests that found that tire wear between similar purpose tires is completely backwards. I may have been biased by reading that beforehand, but it did seem that when I ran a race twice with different tires, racing softs somehow lasted longer than racing hards. I think the rationale for the error is that tire wear mainly occurs when the tires slip and heat up, which happens more with the harder tires that don't grip as well.

Polyphony

Racing softs have the most grip but also wear the fastest. In singleplayer, there is no tire wear, so the whole aspect of tire management is absent. People like to used different tires for realism and simulation purposes. You'll never find racing slicks on a regular Prius, so fitting a pair of those would not provide an accurate representation of the street car's handling. Racing softs on a slower car almost feels like you're driving on rails.

Tire selection is more important online, but the tire compounds cannot be universally balanced for all car and track combinations. Online races can get extremely exciting if you find a decent lobby or racing club/league that can level the playing field by restricting a specific combination of cars, performance points and tires.

Solal

Polyphony-> Every test I red shows how much "Racing soft" are so superior to "Racing hard" that it's never relevant to use hard tires: even in long races :-(
You gain so much time per lap with RS that it largely compensates the pit stop...

Looks like something is wrong with tire degradation in GT5.

dalin80

Banned
While tyre degradation is very poor in GT5 (lemans cars having to pit every half dozen laps compared to 40 odd in real life), the hard tyres are essential for endurance racing especially on longer tracks or track with slow pit stops, if you are ok with doing a pit stop every lap then sure take your racing softs to the ring but you will lose 30s to the stop and coping with knackered tyres then cold tyres at the beginning and end of every lap.

A tyre overhaul is well overdue.

Polyphony

Tire degradation was modified last patch. It now degrades faster than pre 2.02 in attempt to incorporate strategy into the shorter online races.

But I agree with Solal, using RS and pitting often still yields better results than long stints on RM or RH most of the time. Tough job for PD to balance the grip and longevity for such a wide selection of cars. The problem is, PD relies on a universal set of tires for all cars, whereas this is not the case in real life.

Some people would like accurate representation of tire wear for different race series. Some people prefer to feel the benefit of tire management in short 5 lap online races. The best way to cater to everybody would be to give power to the users with variable settings. But the more complex it gets, the less approachable the game becomes, which seems important to PD.

Top Bottom