• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

paskowitz

As I said many times before - cars have become a new tracks.

Cars are what sells DLC to mainstream audience, cars are recognisable in the mainstream, easy to promote and probably financially viable to developers in terms of cross-promotion revenues. Tracks are.. tracks. Mainstream audience does not care for tracks.

This is automotive genre, not architectural one. General public buys games for cars, they do not care about the tracks. They stop playing 2 months after release and they are perfectly happy with 20 tracks per game.

We are really living in the sad times for racing-genre, where having new Lamborghini, Ferrari or Whatever become more important than having tracks.

Cars have become the new tracks, cars are objects that sells DLC, what turns people heads and brings weight to discussion which game is "better".

We finally have everything we only dreamt of genre a decade ago technically-wise, but in the same time we suffered so much regarding tracks that it is becoming sad.

Lasciate ogne speranza voi ch'intrate.

Same here, if reports are true, I do not have high hopes for anything before GT6.

Prior to release of GT5 there were reports in German media about Hockenheim being done by PD and ready for GT5. More than one year later, no word about anything regarding Hockehneim. Same goes for the notorious RedBull leak regarding Pikes Peak which was taken down immediately after going mainstream.

They are probably doing lots of things at this point, but I sincerely think that after everything what happened with GT5 they went even more *private* with everything. Criticism that GT5 suffered because Sony was so eager to force PD to release the game in the state as it was in late 2010 was something that probably gave them all credit in the world to do their things their way from there on.

They pay for licenses, that is not the issue, Kazunori confirmed that in few occasions.

As for Ferrari, it is probably a matter of allowing the license to be non-exclusive from various standpoints important to Ferrari as company.

But as for Porsche, I think it is different story. Personally I think how they have some old-old agreement with EA, back from the days where things that matter today ("Cars are new tracks") weren't really so important - and EA is taking advantage of the situation.

Also, the current events regarding Porsche cars being finally included in Forza in big-style with fireworks is rising my eyebrow. It is a very, very interesting development where you first have a situation where one of the most popular brands is left out from initial rooster (although allegedly included on the retail disc of the game, as some are reporting) with vague reasoning and public stunts on the verge of resignation.

Exactly 6 months later - in the same moment where actual license-holder for that brand does not have any new game in the genre in development and when actual promotional DLC-beneficial period for the initial-purchasers of the other game is expiring - the agreement is surprisingly settled.

PR machines in full-effect, everybody is happy and friends, money is not an issue (I will buy the Porsche pack too, to be clear and honest) and you can already feel the weight of the revenue sitting on your account. But having said that, I smell some conspiracy agreed in order to secure extra-funding after the initial release-window, but hey - that is just me.

IDK I enjoy both equally. I think when cars are like the Touring car pack, XJ9, Aventador, Vantage, etc, they add a decent amount of life to the game. Obviously stuff like the Mini, Leaf, etc are almost worthless. That being said, when Spa was release I was happier in that moment.

As far as EA and Porsche. I remember reading either a Porsche executive and EA executive were good friends and/or someone who worked at EA now works at Porsche or visa versa. This deal happened sometime around NFS Porsche Unleashed. The moral of the story is it is TOTAL BULL SH*T! Even worse is how disrespectful EA is to the Porsche brand. I do not know a single Porsche owner under the age of 24 and I know about 30 Porsche owners. A case when the beancounters win.

Polyphony

They pay for licenses, that is not the issue, Kazunori confirmed that in few occasions.

As for Ferrari, it is probably a matter of allowing the license to be non-exclusive from various standpoints important to Ferrari as company.

But as for Porsche, I think it is different story. Personally I think how they have some old-old agreement with EA, back from the days where things that matter today ("Cars are new tracks") weren't really so important - and EA is taking advantage of the situation.

Also, the current events regarding Porsche cars being finally included in Forza in big-style with fireworks is rising my eyebrow. It is a very, very interesting development where you first have a situation where one of the most popular brands is left out from initial rooster (although allegedly included on the retail disc of the game, as some are reporting) with vague reasoning and public stunts on the verge of resignation.

Exactly 6 months later - in the same moment where actual license-holder for that brand does not have any new game in the genre in development and when actual promotional DLC-beneficial period for the initial-purchasers of the other game is expiring - the agreement is surprisingly settled.

PR machines in full-effect, everybody is happy and friends, money is not an issue (I will buy the Porsche pack too, to be clear and honest) and you can already feel the weight of the revenue sitting on your account. But having said that, I smell some conspiracy agreed in order to secure extra-funding after the initial release-window, but hey - that is just me.

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification. The timing does seem a little conspicuous, but I'd like to believe T10 on this one. The statement released months ago was very bad press for Hot Pursuit and EA's brand, I doubt EA would have agreed to these terms had they known it would create such a reaction. But then again, money drives everything and EA might have learned a thing or two from the public outcry lol. /pure speculation

Anyway, back on topic, having Porsche would be nice as DLC, but I agree with everyone here. With the speed at which PD models cars, I'd prefer them prioritizing tracks for the time being (for GT5) and take the time to upgrade existing models to premium plus include new cars for GT6.

I do not know a single Porsche owner under the age of 24 and I know about 30 Porsche owners.

Isn't that supposed to be normal? lol

An annual franchise with two separate games, no? I thought that's the point of Forza Horizon.

I'm not sure because that was Turn 10 talking, and Horizon is from a different studio isn't it? I understood that MS wants to have Horizon (more NFS/TDU like) and Motorsport both as yearly sequels... dunno what it actually means.

DryvBy

So, I bought the XL version and the $20 worth of DLC I got was as follows...

-1 kart
-1 car
-1 new track
-5 paints and misc crap I don't care about.

How do I get all the cars and stuff?

So, I bought the XL version and the $20 worth of DLC I got was as follows...

-1 kart
-1 car
-1 new track
-5 paints and misc crap I don't care about.

How do I get all the cars and stuff?

How is that even possible? There's no way to have just 1 track from the DLC, it's always the 2 tracks.

Same goes for car packs. Are you sure those aren't just the standard awards from the game?

Make sure you activated the DLC in the main menu, it's the big red button.

DryvBy

How is that even possible? There's no way to have just 1 track from the DLC, it's always the 2 tracks.

Same goes for car packs. Are you sure those aren't just the standard awards from the game?

Make sure you activated the DLC in the main menu, it's the big red button.

That's what I did wrong. So all I should have is Racing Car Pack, Car Pack 2, and Course Pack, right?

Gonna sneak in and drop a few pics.

Ahrweiler%20-%20Town%20Square_25e800.jpg

Ahrweiler%20-%20Town%20Square_5e800.jpg

Ahrweiler%20-%20Town%20Square_11e800.jpg

Ahrweiler%20-%20Town%20Square_17e800.jpg

Ahrweiler%20-%20Town%20Square_4e800.jpg

dubc35

And for the end one small tidbit: I don't know are you aware about this *thingie* - but all Original (GT series created) courses we have on disposal in GT5 are actually tracks from the first GT game. There is no single Original course in GT5 that was introduced in any later GT game. And also, only Original track that is missing from GT5 in order to have all GT1 tracks on disposal is SSR11. Interesting to highlight, don't you think?

I was just racing on Cape Ring and was thinking about this post. Isn't Cape Ring a GT Original? Eiger also? Or is Eiger a real course?

I was just racing on Cape Ring and was thinking about this post. Isn't Cape Ring a GT Original? Eiger also? Or is Eiger a real course?

Eiger is kinda real I think, but even if we count it as a GT Original, both Cape Ring and Eiger debuted on GT5/GT5P. So every original track is either new to GT entirely or from GT1.

Which I had never actually noticed :p If only we got SSR11 :(

amar212

I was talking about Original "legacy" tracks, from previous GT games that are in GT5. All "legacy" tracks are from the first GT. None single "legacy" Original (not City) course from later GT games is not in GT5.

Cape Ring complex is new Original enviroment.

offshore

Has anyone been following the Bathurst thread on GTP? User jjh101 has been posting a couple of videos from the track of PD working, and yesterday he went to the track and recorded himself grabbing a word with one of the guys taking photos, who said they're modelling it for GT6.

That is so f'cking cool :lol

saladine1

Has anyone been following the Bathurst thread on GTP? User jjh101 has been posting a couple of videos from the track of PD working, and yesterday he went to the track and recorded himself grabbing a word with one of the guys taking photos, who said they're modelling it for GT and GT6.

That is so f'cking cool :lol

That's some awesome work there!
We Aussies are a dedicated bunch....might take a drive up there and see what's what..

So, after all these years, finally, Mount Panorama in Gran Turismo. I expect nothing but a great in-game rendition from PD.

offshore

My bad phrasing, he just meant they were with Gran Turismo, making it for GT6.

jjh101: Ok guys, there's one of the photographers up here on the track, I'm gonna jump out and see what he has to say...
***Walking noises until 0.50***
jjh101: G'day
Photographer: hey
jjh101: Seen you guys here for a few days, wondering if you guys are here for a game or something
Photographer: Yes, yes, yes...A video game... A... Gran Turismo
jjh101: Oh, Gran Turismo?
Photographer: Yea, yea, um...
jjh101: Is it an update or... Will it be for GT6 or...?
Photographer: Yea, yea, yea, yea, yea um... Gran Turismo 6 [will have] Bathurst
jjh101: Oh really?
Photographer: Yea, yea, yea

Toxa

What phone typed with voice typing;

"gibby honest I'm just happy we got balls"

What my phone was supposed to type:

To be honest I am just happy we got Spa.

WTF

GT5 needs more track (new or old) . If GT6 is scheduled for the PS4 we will wait a long time

offshore

only GT6 ? no dlc for GT5 :(

If they've literally only just started modelling it, it's going to take a fair while for them to make.

Toxa said:
If GT6 is scheduled for the PS4 we will wait a long time
But at least on the flip side, the longer the wait, the more cars and tracks will be included in GT6 from the get-go.

Polyphony

Myeah, I wasn't seeing the DSLR, I thought maybe paskowitz knew something I didn't.

I was hoping it would be a new kind of laser scanning tech.

I know that iRacing's rigs looked like this:

track-scanning-australia.jpg

offshore

What are the downsides of laser scanning?

There must be some, as it seems strange that Polyphony would not use it, especially if laser scanning is perceived to be the most accurate... and it certainly looks like it, if you watch the iRacing video about it.

From what I understand laser scanning provides too much detail that will need to be downgraded, specially when your working with a fixed hardware. That could end up being more costly due to work hours. Also the scanning it self is more expensive.

But as far as accuracy it's definitively the best way to go.

paskowitz

Myeah, I wasn't seeing the DSLR, I thought maybe paskowitz knew something I didn't.

I was hoping it would be a new kind of laser scanning tech.

I know that iRacing's rigs looked like this:

That thing is a device surveyors use to measure distances. IE if you want to plot out a piece of land, that is what you would use.

tusken77

Ah, the sanity of the OT. :) I don't even know what happened in the thread about this over in Gaming. Some of the posts there boggle the mind.

Anyway! Seeing work done for GT6 gets me all kinds of excited. :D

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
From what I understand laser scanning provides too much detail that will need to be downgraded, specially when your working with a fixed hardware. That could end up being more costly due to work hours. Also the scanning it self is more expensive.

But as far as accuracy it's definitively the best way to go.

Honestly, it looks like Polyphony guys are using a handheld laser scanner in that photo and overcoming any limitations of such a device with their artistic prowess in accuracy and ability to pay great attention to detail.

offshore

And not sure are they really "random", but nevermind.

I don't think you can expect PD to sift through thousands of photos... :p
Plus, they say as much in the notice about it.

"there is no evaluation system or the like for the photographs. This is a service which simply introduces what kinds of photographs are being taken in Gran Turismo 5 by players around the world.

UxEOZ3HhjfmbvNesZeB_0.jpg

Nice.

Top Bottom