• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Polyphony

Oh yeah! Just got gold on all 3 Vettel challenges! I was close to breaking my wheel in anger after spinning at the very last corner of Suzuka a few times, but I made it in the end.
The only thing I have left in A-Spec is the Endurance Series, how did you guys tackle those? It'll probably take me weeks to do the 24hour ones.

Are you trying to complete the game 100% or are you going for the platinum trophy?

For trophy, you only need to finish those endurances in B-Spec. For A-Spec, haven't tried them myself but good luck!

Risgroo

Are you trying to complete the game 100% or are you going for the platinum trophy?

For trophy, you only need to finish those endurances in B-Spec. For A-Spec, haven't tried them myself but good luck!

Never planned on going for platinum, but if I can just do it in B-spec i might try...until I attempt the Grand tour again :(

Polyphony

I found Grand Tour to be much easier than the Vettel challenges. I haven't golded the latter yet. The last time I did, my DFGT burned out and I had to send it back for a replacement.

Got my DFGT in the mail today and did a few laps on Indy road course. Really hard to use. Is that normal the first time using a wheel? I felt like I'd never driven before, probably wasn't helping that I was using the wheel in my lap though. >.< Need to make some type of stand.

Got my DFGT in the mail today and did a few laps on Indy road course. Really hard to use. Is that normal the first time using a wheel? I felt like I'd never driven before, probably wasn't helping that I was using the wheel in my lap though. >.< Need to make some type of stand.

Once you get a stand that will change a lot, but anyway yeah, it's normal. In a couple of days you'll feel completely used to it though. I can now change between DS3 and DFGT like nothing, but in the Prologue days when I first used a shit wheel with no stand... goddamn if it wasn't frustrating.

Absolutely.
The day I brought my wheel home, I completely regretted it. Was like 10 seconds off my best controller times and it felt like such an effort to keep it on the tarmac. Almost toyed with taking it back for a refund.

Fast-forward a day or two later though and I'd beaten most of my lap records.

Stick with it.

Once you get a stand that will change a lot, but anyway yeah, it's normal. In a couple of days you'll feel completely used to it though. I can now change between DS3 and DFGT like nothing, but in the Prologue days when I first used a shit wheel with no stand... goddamn if it wasn't frustrating.

What settings should I be using? Amatur/Pro/Sim, steering assist, force feedback strength?

What settings should I be using? Amatur/Pro/Sim, steering assist, force feedback strength?

Sim, No assists, you have a wheel now so no excuses!. Leave ABS to 1 if you keep locking your brakes though.

My feedback is set to 5, it really comes down to personal preference, so people use 10 others 2.

Risgroo

Seriously guys, I need help with the Eiger event in the Grand Tour. How do you attack the corners? Smoothly, drift or what? No matter what I do I can't get below 1.17.6, and I have no idea how to find more time. Heeeelp!

What MM said. Keep in mind, the force feedback strength depends on the sturdiness of your stand. Mine is pretty nimble so I set it to 2 or 3. I suggest starting at around 4-6 and then finding what suits you.

Seriously guys, I need help with the Eiger event in the Grand Tour. How do you attack the corners? Smoothly, drift or what? No matter what I do I can't get below 1.17.6, and I have no idea how to find more time. Heeeelp!

I haven't actually gotten gold on that but I think I was pretty close. You have to be smooth but aggressive, in some corners you'll have to slide the rear very slightly. I think you can lose a ton of time on the first set of corners, try to hug the inside wall as much as you can.

You can always check how the famous GTP_DHolland completely destroys the record here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQxcOQ1zPPo&feature=related

Risgroo

I haven't actually gotten gold on that but I think I was pretty close. You have to be smooth but aggressive, in some corners you'll have to slide the rear very slightly. I think you can lose a ton of time on the first set of corners, try to hug the inside wall as much as you can.

You can always check how the famous GTP_DHolland completely destroys the record here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQxcOQ1zPPo&feature=related

Thanks, that video helped me out, managed to get a 1.16.939, thank god I don't have to do it again.

dubc35

PSN being down had lead me to "play" some b-spec races (I'm still in the beginner series). I really hope B-spec ends with GT5. I find no reason to play it besides being bored.

Stoffinator

PSN being down had lead me to "play" some b-spec races (I'm still in the beginner series). I really hope B-spec ends with GT5. I find no reason to play it besides being bored.

I hope it doesn't. I love B Spec mode. Spent a LOT of time in that mode.

Xun

This is the first thing I saw in that cockpit picture:

1G74G.jpg

>:[

Am I the only one?

Niks

I get that PD doesn't want to pay to car manufacturers to include their cars in the game... and that paying EA would set a precedent. But yeah, if turn 10 can do it, then fuck it, so can PD.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have a bad feeling we wont see any Porsches anytime soon if ever. PD is just not on top of it with DLC. Yes it comes but its not what people have at the top of their lists.

offshore

PD is just not on top of it with DLC.

Ain't that the truth, and yet it started pretty solidly with Spa. Hope this next batch of DLC is worth buying though. I did buy car pack 3, but I've no idea why I did. Waste of a fiver. We need more tracks though, not cars. Still puzzled why they aren't pushing out the rest of the old GT4 tracks, or why they didn't come with Spec II.

Kaz asking in an interview if people really wanted Midfield was the most retarded thing I've seen. He even said it would be easy to do. So don't understand why we don't have it/them.

amar212

Kaz asking in an interview if people really wanted Midfield was the most retarded thing I've seen. He even said it would be easy to do. So don't understand why we don't have it/them.

Although I do not agree with "retarded" part, I agree with the core of your thought.

GT5 desperately needs new tracks in order to keep game interesting. And I am not speaking 1 new track each 2 months, but some major DLC content-pack with 5-10 tracks with variants, mixture of "Original" ones and maybe some licensed venues.

My community is hosting non-stop small championships and we have gatherings every weekend, Friday and Saturday evening. 15 months after the release, we simply crave for new, usable tracks. As much as I personally love what they did in terms of "scope" with inclusion of different surroundings, I would just love to get some old, legendary courses, even *GT4 HD* versions would do. Midfield, Apricot, Fuji 80's, El Capitan, old Rome.. list goes on and on.

Not to speak about 100% unexplainable things like where is Suzuka West? Why none of the Cape Ring variants is available in reverse configuration? Why can't we have Tsukuba Short? So much work done in making LeMans in 3 variants with full-scale changes and full environment and no inner-field Bugatti circuit? Etc.

Also, I still can't understand why the Course Maker isn't fixed yet regarding way it creates tracks. Nobody can assure me how idea to have every single corner steep as hell, or to have every major turn being sloped is good. Also, there just needs to be an option to somehow regulate the alterations by some small value and insert the chicane here and there. At this point, complete Course Maker is a great idea and great foundation, but it really calls for quick update in order to have players that actually still play GT5 use it.

And for the end one small tidbit: I don't know are you aware about this *thingie* - but all Original (GT series created) courses we have on disposal in GT5 are actually tracks from the first GT game. There is no single Original course in GT5 that was introduced in any later GT game. And also, only Original track that is missing from GT5 in order to have all GT1 tracks on disposal is SSR11. Interesting to highlight, don't you think?

offshore

Although I do not agree with "retarded"

Well, it's pretty close. He was asking if consumers really wanted more tracks. I mean, really? The fact he was asking that of Midfield, my second favourite GT track ever (behind Tahiti Route 3) made it even more annoying, and then even more so when he goes on to say it's possible.

The issue with GT4 tracks in GT5 is that you either go all-in, or you go with none at all. This half-and-half situation with some left out and some left in is deeply frustrating. I can see why they might have been concerned about having so many legacy tracks in the game, but they had no such compunction with legacy cars.

Course Maker has been a massive disappointment to me. I found it strange when Kaz said that a full-on editor would be too complicated for the player, when V-Rally 2 had an *amazing* track editor, and one that was extremely powerful yet incredibly easy to use.

CM in its current form would be a good addition alongside a proper track creator, whereby if you don't feel like making a track yourself, just have CM quickly generate one. But Kaz's argument that a full-on editor would be complicated is simply incorrect and shows that they were going about it the wrong way.

It seems like there's going to be a long wait for GT6, so hopefully PD can really knuckle down and improve the track situation for that title. It's funny when a lot of people go on about how PD should hire more people to make cars, when they should really be hiring more people to make tracks.

dubc35

And for the end one small tidbit: I don't know are you aware about this *thingie* - but all Original (GT series created) courses we have on disposal in GT5 are actually tracks from the first GT game. There is no single Original course in GT5 that was introduced in any later GT game. And also, only Original track that is missing from GT5 in order to have all GT1 tracks on disposal is SSR11. Interesting to highlight, don't you think?

Interesting but also depressing. :(

Local Rumours Suggest Bathurst Circuit Scanned for GT

Some new rumours have been hitting the GTPlanet forums, as Polyphony Digital have been reported to be scanning another real-life track &#8211; the Mount Panorama Circuit at Bathurst, Australia.

As far back as 2006, the Polyphony team have expressed interest in the historic circuit, with Kazunori remarking in an interview regarding GT:HD that &#8220;Bathurst is in our roadmap&#8221;. Sure enough, during this year&#8217;s Bathurst 12 Hour race in February, information began to surface of a Polyphony Digital presence at the circuit. GTPlanet member Froudeybrand reported that PD had been taking photographs of the circuit and driving round in a camera car, with other reports elsewhere indicating that they had negotiated a licence with the circuit owners and would also be filming the following week.

http://www.gtplanet.net/local-rumours-suggest-bathurst-circuit-scanned-for-gt/

Hopefully it's DLC for GT5 and not for GT6.

The reports in question:

They're filming up on the mount next week, not sure what exactly, but after getting a confirmation that they purchased a licence to use it in their game recently looks like they're getting straight into it.
Makes me wonder just what exactly it is they're doing up here, whether its just a lap of the track being filmed and they're going to build the track from that or whether its something more intricate. Perhaps iRacing should take note.

New member here first post. I have been viewing these forums for a while now but only recently signed up. I came across this post. And I am currently in Bathurst watching the 12 hour and I was speaking to a Bathurst resident that has contacts whitin the council and various Motorsport personal. ( happens to be brother in law) he told me that a polyphony crew of some sort was in Bathurst this past Wednesday taking various photos and were driving around in a vehicle much like a google earth car taking measurents. So it could be sooner then later for a Bathurst track DLC

Dead Man

I hope Porsche comes to GT5. Maybe that is why we have not heard anything about GT5 March content.

They're not even using the licenses they have, I would prefer the RUF catalogue to the Porsche one.

Although I do not agree with "retarded" part, I agree with the core of your thought.

GT5 desperately needs new tracks in order to keep game interesting. And I am not speaking 1 new track each 2 months, but some major DLC content-pack with 5-10 tracks with variants, mixture of "Original" ones and maybe some licensed venues.

My community is hosting non-stop small championships and we have gatherings every weekend, Friday and Saturday evening. 15 months after the release, we simply crave for new, usable tracks. As much as I personally love what they did in terms of "scope" with inclusion of different surroundings, I would just love to get some old, legendary courses, even *GT4 HD* versions would do. Midfield, Apricot, Fuji 80's, El Capitan, old Rome.. list goes on and on.

Not to speak about 100% unexplainable things like where is Suzuka West? Why none of the Cape Ring variants is available in reverse configuration? Why can't we have Tsukuba Short? So much work done in making LeMans in 3 variants with full-scale changes and full environment and no inner-field Bugatti circuit? Etc.

Also, I still can't understand why the Course Maker isn't fixed yet regarding way it creates tracks. Nobody can assure me how idea to have every single corner steep as hell, or to have every major turn being sloped is good. Also, there just needs to be an option to somehow regulate the alterations by some small value and insert the chicane here and there. At this point, complete Course Maker is a great idea and great foundation, but it really calls for quick update in order to have players that actually still play GT5 use it.

Well said. Such wasted opportunities with the tracks, they have some brilliant ones already designed, El Capitan, Grindlewald, Midfield. People loved them for a reason.

Didnt Kaz say that Rome/Spa/London took like 2-3 years for each track to be completed?

I dont expect Bathurst to be in GT5. By then, PS4 will probably be out and GT6 will be the main development focus.

FootballFan

Had some great time racing yesterday, Monaco + 14 online racers with street legal under 460pp cars = Good Times.

Track just too tight and space at a premium caused some hilarious scenes at grand hotel hairpin.

Hello GT gaf btw.

Polyphony

I haven't been following all these contractual developments, but if it's true that PD does not want to pay to have cars included in their games, how did GT5 get Ferrari cars? I was under the impression that T10 owned those rights.

amar212

It's funny when a lot of people go on about how PD should hire more people to make cars, when they should really be hiring more people to make tracks.

As I said many times before - cars have become a new tracks.

Cars are what sells DLC to mainstream audience, cars are recognisable in the mainstream, easy to promote and probably financially viable to developers in terms of cross-promotion revenues. Tracks are.. tracks. Mainstream audience does not care for tracks.

This is automotive genre, not architectural one. General public buys games for cars, they do not care about the tracks. They stop playing 2 months after release and they are perfectly happy with 20 tracks per game.

We are really living in the sad times for racing-genre, where having new Lamborghini, Ferrari or Whatever become more important than having tracks.

Cars have become the new tracks, cars are objects that sells DLC, what turns people heads and brings weight to discussion which game is "better".

We finally have everything we only dreamt of genre a decade ago technically-wise, but in the same time we suffered so much regarding tracks that it is becoming sad.

Lasciate ogne speranza voi ch'intrate.

I dont expect Bathurst to be in GT5.

Same here, if reports are true, I do not have high hopes for anything before GT6.

Prior to release of GT5 there were reports in German media about Hockenheim being done by PD and ready for GT5. More than one year later, no word about anything regarding Hockehneim. Same goes for the notorious RedBull leak regarding Pikes Peak which was taken down immediately after going mainstream.

They are probably doing lots of things at this point, but I sincerely think that after everything what happened with GT5 they went even more *private* with everything. Criticism that GT5 suffered because Sony was so eager to force PD to release the game in the state as it was in late 2010 was something that probably gave them all credit in the world to do their things their way from there on.

I haven't been following all these contractual developments, but if it's true that PD does not want to pay to have cars included in their games, how did GT5 get Ferrari cars? I was under the impression that T10 owned those rights.

They pay for licenses, that is not the issue, Kazunori confirmed that in few occasions.

As for Ferrari, it is probably a matter of allowing the license to be non-exclusive from various standpoints important to Ferrari as company.

But as for Porsche, I think it is different story. Personally I think how they have some old-old agreement with EA, back from the days where things that matter today ("Cars are new tracks") weren't really so important - and EA is taking advantage of the situation.

Also, the current events regarding Porsche cars being finally included in Forza in big-style with fireworks is rising my eyebrow. It is a very, very interesting development where you first have a situation where one of the most popular brands is left out from initial rooster (although allegedly included on the retail disc of the game, as some are reporting) with vague reasoning and public stunts on the verge of resignation.

Exactly 6 months later - in the same moment where actual license-holder for that brand does not have any new game in the genre in development and when actual promotional DLC-beneficial period for the initial-purchasers of the other game is expiring - the agreement is surprisingly settled.

PR machines in full-effect, everybody is happy and friends, money is not an issue (I will buy the Porsche pack too, to be clear and honest) and you can already feel the weight of the revenue sitting on your account. But having said that, I smell some conspiracy agreed in order to secure extra-funding after the initial release-window, but hey - that is just me.

Also, the current events regarding Porsche cars being finally included in Forza in big-style with fireworks is rising my eyebrow. It is a very, very interesting development where you first have a situation where one of the most popular brands is left out from initial rooster (although allegedly included on the retail disc of the game, as some are reporting) with vague reasoning and public stunts on the verge of resignation.

Exactly 6 months later - in the same moment where actual license-holder for that brand does not have any new game in the genre in development and when actual promotional DLC-beneficial period for the initial-purchasers of the other game is expiring - the agreement is surprisingly settled.

PR machines in full-effect, everybody is happy and friends, money is not an issue (I will buy the Porsche pack too, to be clear and honest) and you can already feel the weight of the revenue sitting on your account. But having said that, I smell some conspiracy agreed in order to secure extra-funding after the initial release-window, but hey - that is just me.

Glad to see I'm not the only who thought that the second I saw the news. It's quite suspicious, at least. Reminds me of Gears 3 where the full map list came out at the same time as the Bulletstorm demo/game, and they are still selling those maps as DLC, even some of them were on the disc. They also said that Gears 2 maps would OH SO DIFFICULT to port but then we already have a few :) MS these days...

Those news (that nobody seemed to care about) of Turn 10 wanting to make Forza a franchise with annual sequels is terrible as well. I hope it doesn't affect the "racing ecosystem" ;)

Glad to see I'm not the only who thought that the second I saw the news. It's quite suspicious, at least. Reminds me of Gears 3 where the full map list came out at the same time as the Bulletstorm demo/game, and they are still selling those maps as DLC, even some of them were on the disc. They also said that Gears 2 maps would OH SO DIFFICULT to port but then we already have a few :) MS these days...

Those news (that nobody seemed to care about) of Turn 10 wanting to make Forza a franchise with annual sequels is terrible as well. I hope it doesn't affect the "racing ecosystem" ;)

An annual franchise with two separate games, no? I thought that's the point of Forza Horizon.

offshore

Microsoft are in command of the Ferrari rights for the Xbox 360, as inferred by Greenawalt, and Sony for the PS3. Or at least, if Sony don't command them, MS have no say about happens on the PS3.

amar212 said:
cars have become a new tracks.
Indeed, sad times.

Although the track pack has done pretty well on UK PSN, it's got more ratings than most of the other DLC packs. Not exactly a scientific measurement, I know, but it's clear it can work, so hopefully we get some more.

Top Bottom