• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Any tips on Nascar daytona events (ie advanced special event) on a dual shock controller? My main problem is maintaining speed on the bend without skidding to stay in line, which causes me to stay in last place

rCIZZLE

Finally took the plunge and bought a G27. Well, impulse bought it... which leads me to a question. Are there any cheap stands that you guys can recommend? The pedals can lean against my TV stand but I need a small, adjustable table for the wheel and possibly a smaller one for the shifter. I'm having trouble articulating exactly what I'm looking for so hopefully someone else was in a similar situation and can share a solution. Thanks!

offshore

Any tips on Nascar daytona events (ie advanced special event) on a dual shock controller? My main problem is maintaining speed on the bend without skidding to stay in line, which causes me to stay in last place

If it's troubling you that much, you can always delete the updates and do the challenges on v1.00, when ASM isn't disabled. Then it's easy.

Finally took the plunge and bought a G27. Well, impulse bought it... which leads me to a question. Are there any cheap stands that you guys can recommend? The pedals can lean against my TV stand but I need a small, adjustable table for the wheel and possibly a smaller one for the shifter. I'm having trouble articulating exactly what I'm looking for so hopefully someone else was in a similar situation and can share a solution. Thanks!

I bought a cheap Draper fold down workbench. Does the job and was only £10.

gate777

I made this a few weeks before GT5 released. It was pretty simple if you know what you're doing with tools. Overall cost was around $30 for materials. Pretty solid, light (pine) and adjustable as well. Not sure if this is what you're looking for though.......

http://buildawheelstand.blogspot.ca/2009/12/build-wheel-stand.html

V55t6.jpg

rCIZZLE

I bought a cheap Draper fold down workbench. Does the job and was only £10.

Hmm, I looked that up and it seems pretty awkward to play on since the middle piece seems a bit big. Looks sturdy as hell though lol so it's def worth a second look.

I made this a few weeks before GT5 released. It was pretty simple if you know what you're doing with tools. Overall cost was around $30 for materials. Pretty solid, light (pine) and adjustable as well. Not sure if this is what you're looking for though.......

http://buildawheelstand.blogspot.ca/2009/12/build-wheel-stand.html

Eventually I do want to build a whole cockpit but the space I have is too tiny now and not sure if I'd have access to the tools without buying. That looks pretty cool though.

I kind of have an idea of what I want which would be a stand college kids use for computers but none of the (cheap) plastic ones look sturdy enough for my maniac driving. If anybody has anything like this, can vouch it's quality, and can link me up I'd be a happy guy!

That didn't go very well :p

Btw Kaz just replied to a tweet about DLC saying that they've just finished a "fully-fledged" (whatever that means) GT Academy 2012. Hopefully it's some sort of Academy mode with lots of tests instead of just a time trial.

And by just I mean 7 days ago.

That didn't go very well :p

Btw Kaz just replied to a tweet about DLC saying that they've just finished a "fully-fledged" (whatever that means) GT Academy 2012. Hopefully it's some sort of Academy mode with lots of tests instead of just a time trial.

And by just I mean 7 days ago.

Better have the Bridge layout included.

StuBurns

Banned
Hello Gents, I'm not sure, but I seem to remember a rerelease version of GT5 coming out in the US, any word on a Euro release yet? I take it that ship has sailed?

offshore

Damn, forgot about Cadwell. It's just irritating though when racing devs look to include a British track, they almost always go with Silverstone. And yeah, new layout isn't that great either.

paskowitz

Link

This is the critical information:
• This is Fanatec's premiere wheel
• The hardware is under embargo
• Only one of you will be selected
• The winner pays a $440 deposit
• The BMW rim is 100% authentic
• The deposit is fully refundable

I've sent EviLore a PM about this thread in case he isn't cool with it.

I have been selected by Fanatec to be NeoGAF's Community Test Manager.

Fanatec is looking for someone who is willing to thoroughly test a Clubsport Wheel base with both the BMW M3 GT2 and Formula rims. Only one NeoGAF member will be selected and that person needs to share either a written or video review with the rest of the community at the end of the test. I'm looking for honest, capable people who are good at expressing their opinions and the goal of this thread is to find the best possible candidate.

The Hardware:
• Clubsport Wheel: regularly $450, winner pays $225 deposit
• BMW GT2 Rim: regularly $250, winner pays $125 deposit
• Formula Rim: regularly $180, winner pays $90 deposit

• Clubsport Pedals: regularly $200, winner pays $100 deposit
• CSR Elite Pedals: regularly $150, winner pays $75 deposit
• Rennsport Stand: regularly $130, winner pays $65 deposit
• Clubsport Clamp: regularly $50, winner pays $25 deposit
(bolded items are mandatory, others are not)

Youtube – CSW Introduction
Youtube – BMW Wheel in use

fanatec1.gif
fanatec2.gif

ibq2Mv0tUbQ36Q.jpg

irhg7GOFdnKZd.jpg

i0r43ZL0IT0G2.jpg

izXzZuwRaF6Yw.jpg

This is what I need from you:
• Explain why you think you are suitable for this task
• Please link to any reviews that show your expertise
• Which sim racing hardware do you currently own?
• Which gaming platforms (PC or PS3) do you own?
• Which racing games/sims do you currently play?

Some things you should know:
• Unfortunately, community reviewers of the CSR Elite Wheel cannot participate in this community review
• The reviewer will receive a CSW base with the two rims and will also be allowed to test pedals and accessories
• The reviewer is required to inform Fanatec about any hardware problems they experience during the test period
• Every reviewer will have at least 14 days to review the products, but the exact review period will be determined later
• Due to past problems, the reviewer will unfortunately be required to make a 50% deposit for the full value of the products
• After the review period is over and the review is posted online, Fanatec will ask the reviewer if they want to return the gear or keep it
• If the reviewer chooses to keep it, the deposit they made stays with Fanatec, so the reviewer receives a 50% discount for their effort
• If the reviewer decides to return some or all of the gear, Fanatec will refund the original 50% deposit + shipping costs for the gear
• Unfortunately, only people from the EU, North America, Australia, and Japan can participate in this community review

All information regarding the Clubsport Wheel Platform is under embargo until the community review period has concluded, so please keep everything to yourself until then. The exact date and time when the embargo lifts is not yet known, but I will share that information as soon as I have it.

I didn't realize how much they'd butchered the Autumn Ring until I popped in Concept today:

untitled-13cj2c.jpg

untitled-2pgbbjab.jpg

with its tighter corners, hoovered and pruned concrete barrier infested modern clean look, the GT5 version is awful in comparison.

gt678789qtkqx.jpg

Come back my pretty :(

Only big difference I see is one stand missing and some trees on the left side, while there are more on the right.

Is replacing a metallic barrier by a concrete one really that big of a deal?

AndyD

aka andydumi
Not a big difference. But I do like the old version with the trees close to the track. It feels more intimate and gives a greater sense speed even at relatively low speeds.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Currently at 979 cars, hoping to get 1000 by the end of this year lol. I don't have any dlc and I'm not buying duplicates, so the main reason why it's taking so long is because of used cars costing $4+ million lol.

Any chance of a Ford GT90 or 2012 Dodge Charger being added at this point?
Also, anyone know why Gran Turismo never has Toyota Camry's? Seems odd since they're so popular...

paskowitz

Join us:

YXEcf.png

AU4ka.jpg

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT: practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1334520000z0.png

Allowed cars: Honda INTEGRA Type R, Honda CIVIC RM, Honda CR-Z TC

Tuning allowed:
Individual Car specific tuning. TBD
Tyre Selection
Racing Hards​
Track:
Susuka Circuit East Course​
Laps:
Pit Stops:
Yes
Damage
Heavy​
Assists
ABS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (12 / 16):
  • 01 - paskowitz
  • 02 - duc35
  • 03 - vissione
  • 04 - SpeedOfNuts
  • 05 - weekend_warrior
  • 06 - Salacious Crumb
  • 07 - Niks
  • 08 - Kaze13
  • 09 - pax217
  • 10 - FootballFan
  • 11 - 2scoops
  • 12 - chillumchilla
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 - l2ounD
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 7.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 7.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 8.00 PM GMT
Race start 8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

If your car is breaking into the 51.XXX second range, I may decide to limit it. The CRZ is intentially a little faster because at around 20 laps its battery runs out and then becomes slower... so choosing this car is a bit of gamble.​

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

ruttyboy

Not a big difference. But I do like the old version with the trees close to the track. It feels more intimate and gives a greater sense speed even at relatively low speeds.

Stylistically the difference is pretty big IMHO. Has a totally different look and feel. Small touches like the water having weeds and leaves in it as well as noticeable reflections rather than just a unrealistic flat blue make all the difference. Also the texture work on the curbs is so much nicer on the PS2 :(

GT Academy 2012 trailer

Think you got what it takes to become a professional race car driver? Download GT Academy 2012 through the PlayStation® Store (from 5/2/12 to 6/26/12) and battle against your friends in an eight-step qualification program designed to craft your virtual-to-reality racing skills to competition levels.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz_aotBo384

Developed for racing fans of all levels, GT Academy 2012 will offer a newly designed eight-step training and qualification program accessible as a demo based on the hit Gran Turismo 5. The demo will be made available for free on PlayStation Store via PSN and will maximize the potential of all users, from beginners to advanced drivers. All participants will compete in a series of virtual driving trials using Nissan cars, and the best of the best will compete in the National Finals in July. The action will then jump from the virtual cars of the PS3 game to actual Nissan sports cars when the winners of the National competition are invited to take part in the intense international Race Camp competition in August, where one ultimate GT Academy winner will train with elite racecar drivers and race as part of a professional team.

Kazunori Yamauchi, President of Polyphony Digital, adds: “It makes me very proud to see the graduates of the GT Academy racing around the world with Nissan. This year we are aiming to make GT Academy bigger and better than ever before and so I am creating a new series of driving challenges open to anyone with a PS3 (Note: terms and conditions will apply). You don’t have to be an expert to have a go.”

So practice up on either Gran Turismo 5 or Gran Turismo 5 XL Edition and be sure to mark your calendars and get ready for GT Academy 2012 starting on May 2nd.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/04/16/start-your-engines-gt-academy-2012-gears-up-for-may-2nd/

Celcius

°Temp. member
Finally completed the 9hr a-spec endurance race. The experience with the 200% log-in boost made it all worth it. :)

brentech

As I shared this in the NFL thread because I'd been dicussing buying one for a little bit there...I thought I'd share here too since it's GT5 that really got me loving on GTIs/Golfs

Just brought this baby home today. 2012 VW GTI

6942990606_32ba9ccc99_z.jpg

6942990552_e6acb77a90_z.jpg

7089060241_7db29368c6_z.jpg

brentech

My test drive today was my first chance to actually drive one. They're a blast, so much pickup since its so small yet has 200bhp.

I got excellent value on my trade in, which made the purchase pretty easy.

Niks

Nice ride brentech.
Personally I hate the rims though. Do you like em or are you going to change them down the line?

amar212

New screens for GTAcademy:

01a.jpg

>> clearly 8 venues for beginning, this looks like a final layout of the menus >> official page states how Academy ends on 25th June 2012 (link below)

03a.jpg

>> Focus on "Friend's Ranking" is a nice addition towards more visible asynchronous multiplayer

04a.jpg

>> Croatia will represent with much higher position than 11th place, I assure you :)

07a.jpg

>> Top Gear Track teased as venue for the first time

http://www.gran-turismo.com/jp/news/d16758.html

Top Bottom