• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Arcteryx

Basically all I am saying is PD needs to focus on including more cars that are worth driving. Standard vs premium is just an offshoot of this.

Look at your garage and then sort by order used or miles driven. Most people only drive 1/4 of the available cars in the game. Its sad. Almost all the classic premium cars are fantastic... but there are less of them than <200hp economy cars. It just does not make sense. That and the heavy skew to Japanese manufacturers. I understand the Japanese take great pride in their country. But if PD really believed in that they would include Japanese cars like the original Skyline and the 2000GT as premium cars. Why bother modeling a Mitsubishi K car? 1 Maserati, 2 Aston Martins, almost nothing from France, 1 historic Ferrari, etc, etc. It just does not make sense. You have roughly 13 countries and over a 1000 cars represented in GT5 and OVER 640 of them are Japanese. The next closest is America with 100+. There are more Nissans than British cars and Italian cars COMBINED! That is so wrong it is not even funny.

90% of those Japanese cars and 95% of those Nissans are not even worth driving. Think of all the time PD took to put them in the game.

Yea, I'm honestly perplexed why they didn't include the 250GTO.

I guess I can't fault PD for including a lot of cars from their own country, but I totally agree that it gets old seeing all the low end cars in such abundance.

As for standards, I don't really have issues with them, in fact I use them more than my premiums (RUFs, 2000GT, etc). The only downside...is they aren't premiums :(

Yea, I'm honestly perplexed why they didn't include the 250GTO.

I guess I can't fault PD for including a lot of cars from their own country, but I totally agree that it gets old seeing all the low end cars in such abundance.

As for standards, I don't really have issues with them, in fact I use them more than my premiums (RUFs, 2000GT, etc). The only downside...is they aren't premiums :(

I mainly use standards also (Viper GTS-R is my favourite) but it being a "standard" has never been an issue as I only play with bumper cam.

Standards have never bothered me at all come to think of it. I'm usually too busy concentrating on driving that I never really notice the standards.

"What is your all-time favourite car from the Gran Turismo series and why? #faveGTcar #gameon"

GT2- Daishin Silvia GT. Won as a prize car about halfway through the career mode, amazing handling.

SclmW.gif

GT3- Viper Team Oreca. What else needs to be said.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the F090/S. You had a chance to win one after every win of the Super Speedway Enduro. It took about 4 tries of grinding to get one, it was all black, I loved it. 

GT5- Corvette ZR1 RM. Took a chance and spent all my credits (at the time) on one and couldn't have been happier. Has the speed and control to won any race you put it in.

The new GTR that came with the racing pack beats it, that thing has unrealistic amounts of grip and speed.

And +1 on the GT3- Viper Team Oreca. I'd love a premium version of it -.-

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No, he has a point at some extent, but there is one not so slight "thing" everybody forgets once Standards come into debate.

Greatest single reason to include "Standard" category of vehicles was PSP-compatibility and ability to import 100 of your favorite GTPSP cars into your GT5 Arcade garage. As I know, complete modeling for all Standards was done fast, from original GTPSP models (not GT4), upscaled and redone for sounds.

Backslash from the community inspired PD to slightly improve the most horrific models and add basic interiors, but they still didn't bother to model the hoods or side-mirrors that are on hoods or bumpers for models that have them (as they exist in GTPSP interior).

So, the "List of Standards" is almost 100% copy/paste of GTPSP car-list (with few minor exceptions), imported into GT5 as an added-value - but primarily oriented towards fulfilling the promise of importing the cars and compatibility for GTPSP players. If there was no "Sport Trucks Race" and "GT Formula Chapionship" venues, complete GT5 could be 100% finished without using one single Standard vehicle.

I agree it would be great to have much more "attractive" cars in Premiums form the Standard list, but it will take time to make it happen. However, I will also always be part of the "Normal Street Vehicles Defense Force" because I happen to drive "normal" (opposed to sportier or supercar vehicles) for 80% of my GT5 time (including online with my friends).

I am also 100% certain how PD have fully understand the feel of community towards Standard models and how future GT games will be pretty different regarding that particular issue.

Oh, yeah, that promise of using them in the main mode that people care about and not the one mode that's pretty much redundant outside of multiplayer local couch options. :|

Kaz's "promises" were shooting for the moon and then in reality they crash into a pond and sink.

Headtracking? Arcade only.
PSP head-start? Arcade only.
Rally random tracks? Course-editor only and there's only a certain number of "random" elements and you can't even make (IIRC) tarmac only or a mix of surfaces like Forza 1 had. (IIRC. I should replay Forza 1 before shooting my mouth off about that. I swear it did dirt/Tarmac point-to-points before)
Premiums? Nice, but too few and Kaz really isn't updating the standards that they currently have as he's focusing on the present/future cars (while admirable, that doesn't help the standards they have currently)
Damage that could be turned off and on: Arcade only until you hit 40+ in A/B-spec. Which, while reasonable took too damn long for most people that they might as well said "no damage" on the box.

---

Really, Kaz's "promises" have been extremely underwhelming to me. He's nearly Peter Molyneux level at this point for me. :/

paskowitz

The new GTR that came with the racing pack beats it, that thing has unrealistic amounts of grip and speed.

And +1 on the GT3- Viper Team Oreca. I'd love a premium version of it -.-

And yet they both get beaten by the mountain of torque that is produced by the Ford GTLM Concept.

ruttyboy

I'd definitely be sad if the standards went, the choice of older and slower cars is what makes GT for me. I spend most of my time driving the slower stuff.

It probably helps that when racing I never notice the difference between a standard and a premium, haven't got time.

Besides, it's not like they didn't cut corners on the premiums, I was delighted to find that my favourite car was made into a premium and then dismayed to find that they'd taken the skin of the GT4 model and just stretched it over the new model rather than uprezzing it first...

FujiSpeedwayF_1.jpg

You can see that the new GT Rally decal they added is clearly a different resolution to the old skin :(

Dead Man

I'd definitely be sad if the standards went, the choice of older and slower cars is what makes GT for me. I spend most of my time driving the slower stuff.

It probably helps that when racing I never notice the difference between a standard and a premium, haven't got time.

Besides, it's not like they didn't cut corners on the premiums, I was delighted to find that my favourite car was made into a premium and then dismayed to find that they'd taken the skin of the GT4 model and just stretched it over the new model rather than uprezzing it first...

FujiSpeedwayF_1.jpg

You can see that the new GT Rally decal they added is clearly a different resolution to the old skin :(

Never noticed that, pretty shoddy.

offshore

[IM://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y59/ruttyboy/GT5%20Damage/FujiSpeedwayF_1.jpg[/IMG]

You've taken that photo in-game, haven't you? The premium version in photo travel looks nothing like that. All in-game shots, in particular logos/decals, will look worse than photo travel ones.

ruttyboy

You've taken that photo in-game, haven't you? The premium version in photo travel looks nothing like that. All in-game shots, in particular logos/decals, will look worse than photo travel ones.

In this case, the same applies, it was because I was going, "There's something wrong with the decals..." trying to take pics of it in photo mode that I investigated further and discovered the horrible truth.

Besides the point is moot, the decal they added on after (the GT Rally sticker) is a higher res so it's not a photo mode/normal mode problem.

offshore

Besides the point is moot, the decal they added on after (the GT Rally sticker) is a higher res so it's not a photo mode/normal mode problem.

Okay, I see now.

However, there is a resolution discrepancy between pretty much every logo/decal across all premiums - including ones new to GT5, so I wouldn't necessary say as fact that they have just copied the GT4 ones. Not saying they haven't, but I don't know why they would do that, when it would be simple to request higher res decals from the manufacturer/sponsor.

But I guess you can add it to the list of strange things PD have done if they are GT4 upscales. lol

I was shit at the wheel earlier today. I was practicing in my Viper ACR and something just clicked. Everything just felt right and I was driving like a champ (mostly). I've been using a manual transmission and shifting with the knob on the DFGT is fun, but I keep getting this feeling a G27 would feel so much more worthwhile.

All the RM cars are premiums.
I can't find it in the dealership. Is it some sort of prize for last year's GT Academy or a prize in-game for beating a championship?

dubc35

The RUFs(specifically BTR) are honestly the MAJOR reason I'm still playing GT5. Not kidding, but I'd shell out $15-20 for a 5 pack of premium RUFs.

I took some RUF's out for a spin in GT5 last night based on your post; simply a joy to drive.

I can't find it in the dealership. Is it some sort of prize for last year's GT Academy or a prize in-game for beating a championship?
Racing Modifications in GT Auto
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?p=4172605

I was shit at the wheel earlier today. I was practicing in my Viper ACR and something just clicked. Everything just felt right and I was driving like a champ (mostly). I've been using a manual transmission and shifting with the knob on the DFGT is fun, but I keep getting this feeling a G27 would feel so much more worthwhile.

No, you buy the 09' Corvette ZR1 from the premium dealership, take it the the autoshop, and do the "race modification".

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Damage that could be turned off and on: Arcade only until you hit 40+ in A/B-spec. Which, while reasonable took too damn long for most people that they might as well said "no damage" on the box.. :/

This is a well debunked urban legend, there's no unlocking of mechanical damage for A-Spec when you hit 40 (what you mean by +, it stops at 40) as far as I know. Only Arcade/Practice/Online.

This has been on my mind for a while, but I keep forgetting to ask.

Does anyone have a list of the "new" Standard cars? I'm talking about the 113 cars in GT PSP that were not in GT4.

Toxa

I don't. Seriously, always hated the thing, tail happy nightmare. I'm actually surprised by the general love, guess I'm a freak :)

WTF ??? The Viper Oreca is one of the most stable car in the the game , the handling is almost perfect that's probably why this car won pretty much everything

24 Hours Nürburgring - 1999, 2001, 2002
Rolex 24 at Daytona - 2000
Spa 24 Hours - 2001, 2002
FIA GT Championship - 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002
American Le Mans Series - 1999, 2000

you can't tell this car handle like cheat

PS: The Real Kazemobile

1336775637-12-05-12003256.jpg

amar212

Since the other S8T car was Nissan's official team GT-R car, I guess they can consider class-victory a nice win from self-perspective :)

Also #30 overall is great result, it is a damn serious achievement.

What's with everyone's obessesion with tyre pressures lately?

I mean you just suddenly started to miss them after 1 year? oO

Anyway, my GT5 seems to only get passed the grey GT logo after the second time. Every time I reboot my console and run the game, it gets stuck in the GT logo loop, I need to quit the game and enter it again oO Anyone else having the same problem?

brentech

LOL, thought the same thing this morning. Out of no where, everyone is screaming for tire pressures as if it's been their #1 complaint since launch.

Don't get me wrong, there is a laundry list of shit this game could use to improve upon (every sim/game could improve plenty), but as a whole, it's a good simulation. People just jump on GT5 for one thing, then move to the next over a period of time. Some of the folks, I'm not even sure why they still come in here, cause they seem to outright hate the game.

I don't care what opinions people have, but some just harp on the same shit over and over, and I really don't understand why they shit up the OT for the game at this point. Move on to something else....clearly GT5 is not for you!

paskowitz

Anyway, my GT5 seems to only get passed the grey GT logo after the second time. Every time I reboot my console and run the game, it gets stuck in the GT logo loop, I need to quit the game and enter it again oO Anyone else having the same problem?

Completely delete and reinstall your GT5 system data. This will take a while.

So after almost seven months i will have internet on my new home from tomorrow. Which means i´m finally settled, and i can use my wheel and play GT5.

After so much time off, i wonder if people are still playing... and if you can still find good online races.

I think i´ll just end up playing a lot of GT Academy... if i´m not too rusty to participate.

paskowitz

So after almost seven months i will have internet on my new home from tomorrow. Which means i´m finally settled, and i can use my wheel and play GT5.

After so much time off, i wonder if people are still playing... and if you can still find good online races.

I think i´ll just end up playing a lot of GT Academy... if i´m not too rusty to participate.

We better see you in the next NRL race.

amar212

The most beautiful thing happened.

Every day - at least on Euro servers time side - there are more and more online Public rooms with Comfort/Sport tyres, ABS off and "Clean or Kick" title.

Plethora od Stock car, plethora of Tuning Prohibited, plethora of 450-650PP range.

Few months ago there was none. Today you can find them everywhere.

You also have some great Seasonals to catch up. Do all of them and you can earn a great collection of Tickets (all tickets from Lv1 to Lv23) for duping purposes.

And GT Academy is nice fun. Now we're waiting for new update.

Dead Man

It is indicative of the greater problem with GT5 without me needing to write a rant each time. If there are tyre pressures, it suggests there would be proper race strategy and fuel levels, it indicates there may be normal race length events, it indicates a bunch of small realism tweaks may be in place.

LOL, thought the same thing this morning. Out of no where, everyone is screaming for tire pressures as if it's been their #1 complaint since launch.

Don't get me wrong, there is a laundry list of shit this game could use to improve upon (every sim/game could improve plenty), but as a whole, it's a good simulation. People just jump on GT5 for one thing, then move to the next over a period of time. Some of the folks, I'm not even sure why they still come in here, cause they seem to outright hate the game.

I don't care what opinions people have, but some just harp on the same shit over and over, and I really don't understand why they shit up the OT for the game at this point. Move on to something else....clearly GT5 is not for you!

And this. What is this? People just jump from complaint to complaint, but they also keep harping about the same things? 'kay. Look, GT5 is great, no doubt. But it was released unfinished, is still unfinished, and I don't feel like congratulating people for doing that.

It is indicative of the greater problem with GT5 without me needing to write a rant each time. If there are tyre pressures, it suggests there would be proper race strategy and fuel levels, it indicates there may be normal race length events, it indicates a bunch of small realism tweaks may be in place.
That's not what I asked.

brentech

And this. What is this? People just jump from complaint to complaint, but they also keep harping about the same things? 'kay. Look, GT5 is great, no doubt. But it was released unfinished, is still unfinished, and I don't feel like congratulating people for doing that.

Some people talk about the same shit, others latch on to what one person says and then everyone goes off on it. The circle of GT5.

I get the confusion, but I think you understood my point as well.

I don't expect people to congratulate them for anything, if you don't like it, you don't like it. My point is, this is the OT for the game, there is no value of people coming here and complaining over and over at this point. If you don't like the game, move on with something else in life.

All games are forever incomplete then.
Just download GT Academy, have some fun golding it and see where you stand against our fellow gaffers. I'd say you'd have a better time than complaining about tire pressure and whatnot so late in the run!

If anything I think Kaz is always trying to improve the game in his own pace without compromising its wide audience or diverge from the "driving experience".

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hopefully it's the update that contains the GT Academy awards. GAWD.

offshore

A new update has been released for Gran Turismo 5.
The main contents of the update are as follows:

- It is now possible to adjust the race BGM and sound effect volume from "Quick Options" during a race.

- A save data backup feature has been added.

- Compatibility for the sequential shift mode of the Guillemot "TH8 RS" gear shifter has been added.

- A "Performance Difference Adjustment" has been added to the rewards for seasonal events (Applies only to seasonal events held after this update).

- Force feedback for the "Driving Force&#8482;GT", "GT FORCE®Pro", "G25 Racing Wheel", " G27 Racing Wheel", and " T500 RS" steering wheel controllers have been improved.

- A car with racing modifications applied are now categorized as a Racing Car (previously Tuned Car).

- The off-track shortcut penalty has been tweaked.

- A new GT5 Photo Stream service has started on gran-turismo.com. Photographs taken in Photo Mode and set to "Share" will now appear on a web page viewable by all visitors.
- GT5 Photo Stream

[Correction of Known Issues]
- Fixed a problem where Karts and Ferrari F1 cars could drive together with other cars in the Lounge
- Fixed a rarely occurring issue in which the system freezes when exiting the lounge
- Fixed a problem where you could purchase tires for the 125 SPL racing Kart in the tuning parts shop (Tires purchased previously will now become invalid)
- Fixed a problem in which the straight-line stability of the Lancer Evolution X was decreased when using a steering wheel controller
- Fixed an issue where wrong color dirt and snow tire wheels were displayed on some cars when the wheels were changed
- Fixed delay when launchiing electric cars using controllers other than a steering wheel controller pedal
- Fixed a rarely occurring issue where the system would freeze at the end of a race
- Fixed an issue where it becomes difficult to hear your own car when driving with other racecars in online races, etc.

"It is now possible to adjust the race BGM and sound effect volume from "Quick Options" during a race."

I've been waiting 15 years to do this in a GT game
KuGsj.gif

Prize suit:

qVCFt.jpg
EkMix.jpg

Top Bottom