• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Right, I'm at the point where I want to throw the disc out of the window. I'm trying to do the last race in the latest B spec special event - the 650pp Cote D'Azur race. I'm using the Ford GT LM car as it seems to be quickest at getting near the front of the pack.

But - and I'm sure anyone who has tried this will know what I'm going to say - without fail, every single race the a.i either hits the barrier at the chicane out of the tunnel, or the final corner. I sat trying this race over 30 times this weekend, and every single race the a.i crashes and spends an age correcting himself.

I've tried slowing him down, speeding him up, keeping him in the middle of his bar, leaving him to his own devices. But no luck whatsoever. Any tips? Any choice of a better car to use that maybe avoids the barriers a little better? Thanks.

amar212

You need a perfectly trained driver (not just by pure LV, but one that has trained personal skills) and a Chapparal 2J.

It can be won with some other cars, but than you really need a driver that has been manually tained and trained throughout the complete career, which is pretty rare I suppose.

And regarding Motegi - finally.

You need a perfectly trained driver (not just by pure LV, but one that has trained personal skills) and a Chapparal 2J.

It can be won with some other cars, but than you really need a driver that has been manually tained and trained throughout the complete career, which is pretty rare I suppose.

And regarding Motegi - finally.

You've lost me with the whole "manually trained" thing? My main driver is level 31 and I've babysat him through every race. Not sure what else I can do with him?

BADNED

Motegi is fantastic even though I would have expected Silverstone as it plays a major role in the GT Academy.

But what is not can be! *fingers crossed*

offshore

"Good question! RT @jambogt: @Kaz_Yamauchi Hi Kaz :) so should we expect Motegi in GT5 after GT Academy ends? :)"

What a tease.

Motegi is fantastic even though I would have expected Silverstone as it plays a major role in the GT Academy.

But what is not can be! *fingers crossed*

Well I'm glad it's not Silverstone. Anything but Silverstone. That track is so bad, and I never understand racing devs' fascination about it.

Watevaman

Nice. I liked the afternoon look the track had in GT4, shame it seems this will be yet another noon time of day track.

still day 1.

This is something I don't understand with PD right now. Surely they developed a system for day/night transitions, because it's already on a couple tracks. Now, in most games (and I'm not 100% technically aware here), it seems that if that system is there, it can be applied to every track. Can anybody explain why PD doesn't, at the very least, make their DLC tracks (Spa and hopefully Motegi) have a selectable time? To me it's kind of like they wasted the tech by only really showcasing it on La Sarthe and the Nurb.

paskowitz

Well I'm glad it's not Silverstone. Anything but Silverstone. That track is so bad, and I never understand racing devs' fascination about it.

I agree completely. It is a terrible track. I think it survives because of its historical presence even though there are many for more enjoyable tracks scattered throughout Britain.

I also do not understand why Infineon was not included. If Laguna Seca in GT5 is just an upresed GT4 model then I do not understand why they could not do the same thing for Infineon. While most people hated it, I really wanted Grand Canyon to return from GT4. I thought it was the most cinematic track from any racing game.

Niks

This is something I don't understand with PD right now. Surely they developed a system for day/night transitions, because it's already on a couple tracks. Now, in most games (and I'm not 100% technically aware here), it seems that if that system is there, it can be applied to every track. Can anybody explain why PD doesn't, at the very least, make their DLC tracks (Spa and hopefully Motegi) have a selectable time? To me it's kind of like they wasted the tech by only really showcasing it on La Sarthe and the Nurb.

Yeah, I guess its just not so easy to apply to every track?
Maybe they are saving that feature for GT6??

paskowitz

It really does make no sense. It on some course maker tracks but not others. I really think PD needs somebody watching over them as they make their game. Right now the community has to bitch at the top of their lungs in order to get anything across.

I know this is a GT5 thread but GT6 desperately needs certain things:

- IMO the most important thing is that it is on the PS4. What Kaz wanted out of GT5 was just not possible on the PS3. Doing this will fix just about every graphical and performance related issue. (Shadows, framerate, low res textures, loading, etc) If the next GT is going to finally solve the problems of the last couple of releases it is going to need the space to play.
- Better menus. GT Academy is a promising example.
- An Ai slider. Increase slider to increase the speed of the Ai. Instead of giving them faster cars, it just gives them more grip. This should make offline races actually competitive.
- Interior photomode. Why on earth do I have glitch in order to take picture of the glorious interiors?
- Offline race creator. You choose the track, laps, rules, Ai level, specific cars (you and Ai) and their set ups.
- Expanded course creator. Kaz stated they could do something like Mod Nation Racers but only if it was ready and worked in practice. This solves the track problem.
- Livery editor. Easy way to solve the immersion problem is giving online players the ability to limit or disable liveries. Want only specific templates selected from a list? No liveries? Anything goes?
- Only premium cars and only cars worth driving. I do not care if the next game only has 300 cars. Just make them 300 cars worth driving. The time of 50 Nissans and 1 Maserati need to end. Every country should be represented. Kaz needs to quit his myopic nationalistic vision of GT. This is a game the world buys, not just Japan.
- Finally, something that almost no racing game has done... actual racing conditions. Rubbering, flatspotting tires, temperature and elevation affecting performance, marbles, debris, proper simulated pit stops, etc, etc. All the things that make racing, racing, besides the actual racing.

Business

My guess is it was a feature created in the middle of the developement of GT5. The older tracks were already done and textured with the pre-baked shadows and the new ones are the ones that support day-night cycle and/or weather.

-Amon-

My guess is it was a feature created in the middle of the developement of GT5. The older tracks were already done and textured with the pre-baked shadows and the new ones are the ones that support day-night cycle and/or weather.

Le Mans says hi !

My guess is that being taxying on the system, it can be implemented only on the "lighter" tracks...

In a place like tokyo r246 for example it would be a nightmare to calculate shadows with all that buildings around.

Dibbz

It must be a technical problem. Having real time lighting instead of having it all pre-baked was probably too big of a performance hit on tracks there were not optimized correctly.

It really does make no sense. It on some course maker tracks but not others. I really think PD needs somebody watching over them as they make their game. Right now the community has to bitch at the top of their lungs in order to get anything across.

- Finally, something that almost no racing game has done... actual racing conditions. Rubbering, flatspotting tires, temperature and elevation affecting performance, marbles, debris, proper simulated pit stops, etc, etc. All the things that make racing, racing, besides the actual racing.

This x100000000

Playing F1 2011 the tyre wear, marbles and fuel sim all make for some god damn amazing racing.

Also make the clutch useful to use in online races. Shifting with a controller is too quick imo and I never use the clutch in serious races since you lose too much time.

-Amon-

I do not care if the next game only has 300 cars. Just make them 300 cars worth driving.

No, because the less the cars, the more the people whining because their favourite is not present.

And who should decide what's worth driving and what not ?

Business

Le Mans says hi !

My guess is that being taxying on the system, it can be implemented only on the "lighter" tracks...

In a place like tokyo r246 for example it would be a nightmare to calculate shadows with all that buildings around.

Wasn't La Sarthe reworked from scratch just like the ring? I wouldn't say the ring or la sarthe are light tracks by any means either, they are probably the heaviest tracks for the system.

Regarding city circuits I think the issue is more the work needed to redo all the buildings on a night setting than a system limitation.

paskowitz

No. It's been tweaked for sure, but fundamentally it's the GT4 version.

This is not true. Both tracks were reworked. There was an interview from like 2009-2010 stating that both tracks were redone. Sure they may have used some the the same data, but they are new models. Things like this tree goes here is not something you redo because that is how it is in real life.

No, because the less the cars, the more the people whining because their favourite is not present.

And who should decide what's worth driving and what not ?

Compare this to the whining about standard cars... yeah, no, you are wrong. The average GT5 garage is around 200 cars. Of those 200 only ~100 are worth driving. That is not enough. The saving grace of that other racing game is the strength of its car roster. GT6 needs more cars worth caring about. More classics, Group B rally cars, Group C Le Mans cars, modern exotics, performance street cars, etc. Ditch this economy car crap. Nobody drives the Prius, it just sits their in the garage.

New shot of Motegi as well as an insanely high resolution of the previous one:

Twin-Ring-Motegi-East-Short-Course-Gran-Turismo.jpg

http://www.gtpla.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/Twin-Ring-Motegi-East-Short-Course-Gran-Turismo.jpg

Round_8_4_motegi.jpg

http://www.gtplanet.net/new-motegi-screenshots-info-on-gt-academy-rewards-in-gt5/

offshore

This is not true. Both tracks were reworked. There was an interview from like 2009-2010 stating that both tracks were redone. Sure they may have used some the the same data, but they are new models. Things like this tree goes here is not something you redo because that is how it is in real life.
Yes, it has been reworked in places, but it is absolutely not a "from scratch" version, a la the Ring, as was originally suggested, as it is quite obviously reusing GT4 assets all over the place.

paskowitz

Yes, it has been reworked in places, but it is absolutely not a "from scratch" version, a la the Ring, as was originally suggested, as it is quite obviously reusing GT4 assets all over the place.

Barely anything in video game development (except maybe a game engine) is from scratch so it is kind of a pointless statement.

offshore

Barely anything in video game development (except maybe a game engine) is from scratch so it is kind of a pointless statement.
It's not a pointless statement, as the tracks that are new to GT have been built from scratch. They've built Spa from scratch, they'll build Bathurst from scratch and it is entirely plausible that the Ring (with HSR and SSR5) were built from scratch as well, given how they are unrecognisable to their GT4 brethrens.

And even if the aren't, they are at least on a different level to Sarthe.

Hope Motegi has been remade and isnt just a up converted ps2 track like that screen kind of had me thinking.

Its in Japan so hopefully that means they wont skimp on it.

Dead Man

- IMO the most important thing is that it is on the PS4. What Kaz wanted out of GT5 was just not possible on the PS3. Doing this will fix just about every graphical and performance related issue. (Shadows, framerate, low res textures, loading, etc) If the next GT is going to finally solve the problems of the last couple of releases it is going to need the space to play.
- Better menus. GT Academy is a promising example.
- An Ai slider. Increase slider to increase the speed of the Ai. Instead of giving them faster cars, it just gives them more grip. This should make offline races actually competitive.
- Interior photomode. Why on earth do I have glitch in order to take picture of the glorious interiors?
- Offline race creator. You choose the track, laps, rules, Ai level, specific cars (you and Ai) and their set ups.
- Expanded course creator. Kaz stated they could do something like Mod Nation Racers but only if it was ready and worked in practice. This solves the track problem.
- Livery editor. Easy way to solve the immersion problem is giving online players the ability to limit or disable liveries. Want only specific templates selected from a list? No liveries? Anything goes?
- Only premium cars and only cars worth driving. I do not care if the next game only has 300 cars. Just make them 300 cars worth driving. The time of 50 Nissans and 1 Maserati need to end. Every country should be represented. Kaz needs to quit his myopic nationalistic vision of GT. This is a game the world buys, not just Japan.

I agree on everything except the bold. Well, I mostly agree with it, but I love having the crappy models in there, it's great to take some base model, throw an exhaust and suspension on there, and fly around taking out faster cars. They do need to equalise the representation though, and get rid of the model duplication. If a car is identical expect the badges, don't have every bloody badge as a separate version.

-Amon-

Compare this to the whining about standard cars... yeah, no, you are wrong. The average GT5 garage is around 200 cars. Of those 200 only ~100 are worth driving. That is not enough. The saving grace of that other racing game is the strength of its car roster. GT6 needs more cars worth caring about. More classics, Group B rally cars, Group C Le Mans cars, modern exotics, performance street cars, etc. Ditch this economy car crap. Nobody drives the Prius, it just sits their in the garage.

If we speak about "worth to drive" i'd cry without the RUF's in the game, and all of them are standards. Both countach are too. All the Group B rally cars are standards, but are ace to drive.

So if we speak about cars nice to drive, i'd guess we should include lots of them in the count.

-Amon-

"What is your all-time favourite car from the Gran Turismo series and why? #faveGTcar #gameon"

Difficult to decide an absolute best for me. Team Oreca Viper in GT1 maybe ? I used to like that A/P Nissan Gtr R33 Nismo a lot when race tuned too. Devastating turbo lag but great fun.

Arcteryx

If we speak about "worth to drive" i'd cry without the RUF's in the game, and all of them are standards. Both countach are too. All the Group B rally cars are standards, but are ace to drive.

So if we speak about cars nice to drive, i'd guess we should include lots of them in the count.

The RUFs(specifically BTR) are honestly the MAJOR reason I'm still playing GT5. Not kidding, but I'd shell out $15-20 for a 5 pack of premium RUFs.

IISANDERII

Yeah but the crappy little ugly poor handling cars make the good ones that much better. It's the sour and the sweet. I know sour, so I can appreciate the sweet.

-Amon-

The RUFs(specifically BTR) are honestly the MAJOR reason I'm still playing GT5. Not kidding, but I'd shell out $15-20 for a 5 pack of premium RUFs.

I can fully understand you :)

The Yellow Bird is the most important one historically speaking but it's way too powerful to be driven with joy, it's always a fight.

The BTR instead has the right amount of power while retaining the classic behavior or those tail - heavy machines. It oversteers like hell if you don't respect her enough but when driven the right way it's a dance, simply beautiful.

There are other old school machines that resemble the BTR however. Maybe you did not try them :)

One is the Ferrari 512 BB. Another one, if you simply give her more power not touching anything else, is the standard BMW 2002. Of course it's somewhat different from the RUFs being A / P but if you can kill the turn in understeer being sideways at corner entry it's beatiful.

The Renault 5 Turbo '80 ( the street one, not rally ) is nice too. You can learn it keeping it standard and only after add a little of power. It' oversteer everywhere, soft on the suspensions but probably the short wheelbase makes her quite a bitch to control properly while oversteering.

paskowitz

What I am saying is that instead of modeling the Toyota Prius or the Mitsubishi March... they should make the cars you speak of premium. There are roughly 200-300 great standard cars. I would be happy to have 100-200 of them be premium along with the current list of premiums over the 800 standard and 200 premium split we have now.

-Amon-

What I am saying is that instead of modeling the Toyota Prius or the Mitsubishi March... they should make the cars you speak of premium. There are roughly 200-300 great standard cars. I would be happy to have 100-200 of them be premium along with the current list of premiums over the 800 standard and 200 premium split we have now.

The problem in this reasoning is that everyone has his preference .... i would kill to have all the great cars of the past made premiums ....

Others instead would push to include new cars, while i don't give a shit about them.

Others like everyday cars a lot ...

And so on

paskowitz

Basically all I am saying is PD needs to focus on including more cars that are worth driving. Standard vs premium is just an offshoot of this.

Look at your garage and then sort by order used or miles driven. Most people only drive 1/4 of the available cars in the game. Its sad. Almost all the classic premium cars are fantastic... but there are less of them than <200hp economy cars. It just does not make sense. That and the heavy skew to Japanese manufacturers. I understand the Japanese take great pride in their country. But if PD really believed in that they would include Japanese cars like the original Skyline and the 2000GT as premium cars. Why bother modeling a Mitsubishi K car? 1 Maserati, 2 Aston Martins, almost nothing from France, 1 historic Ferrari, etc, etc. It just does not make sense. You have roughly 13 countries and over a 1000 cars represented in GT5 and OVER 640 of them are Japanese. The next closest is America with 100+. There are more Nissans than British cars and Italian cars COMBINED! That is so wrong it is not even funny.

90% of those Japanese cars and 95% of those Nissans are not even worth driving. Think of all the time PD took to put them in the game.

-Amon-

Basically all I am saying is PD needs to focus on including more cars that are worth driving. Standard vs premium is just an offshoot of this.

Look at your garage and then sort by order used or miles driven. Most people only drive 1/4 of the available cars in the game. Its sad. Almost all the classic premium cars are fantastic... but there are less of them than <200hp economy cars. It just does not make sense. That and the heavy skew to Japanese manufacturers. I understand the Japanese take great pride in their country. But if PD really believed in that they would include Japanese cars like the original Skyline and the 2000GT as premium cars. Why bother modeling a Mitsubishi K car? 1 Maserati, 2 Aston Martins, almost nothing from France, 1 historic Ferrari, etc, etc. It just does not make sense. You have roughly 13 countries and over a 1000 cars represented in GT5 and OVER 640 of them are Japanese. The next closest is America with 100+. There are more Nissans than British cars and Italian cars COMBINED! That is so wrong it is not even funny.

90% of those Japanese cars and 95% of those Nissans are not even worth driving. Think of all the time PD took to put them in the game.

Again you put your own preference above everything, that's the problem in your reasoning IMO.

amar212

Again you put your own preference above everything, that's the problem in your reasoning IMO.

No, he has a point at some extent, but there is one not so slight "thing" everybody forgets once Standards come into debate.

Greatest single reason to include "Standard" category of vehicles was PSP-compatibility and ability to import 100 of your favorite GTPSP cars into your GT5 Arcade garage. As I know, complete modeling for all Standards was done fast, from original GTPSP models (not GT4), upscaled and redone for sounds.

Backslash from the community inspired PD to slightly improve the most horrific models and add basic interiors, but they still didn't bother to model the hoods or side-mirrors that are on hoods or bumpers for models that have them (as they exist in GTPSP interior).

So, the "List of Standards" is almost 100% copy/paste of GTPSP car-list (with few minor exceptions), imported into GT5 as an added-value - but primarily oriented towards fulfilling the promise of importing the cars and compatibility for GTPSP players. If there was no "Sport Trucks Race" and "GT Formula Chapionship" venues, complete GT5 could be 100% finished without using one single Standard vehicle.

I agree it would be great to have much more "attractive" cars in Premiums form the Standard list, but it will take time to make it happen. However, I will also always be part of the "Normal Street Vehicles Defense Force" because I happen to drive "normal" (opposed to sportier or supercar vehicles) for 80% of my GT5 time (including online with my friends).

I am also 100% certain how PD have fully understand the feel of community towards Standard models and how future GT games will be pretty different regarding that particular issue.

It's true, most people only drive 1/4th of the cars, but the important thing here is that those 1/4th cars are vastly different for everyone, and that's why GT is so great. There's something for everyone.

My brother for example loves driving all sorts of old cars. Hell he drives more standards then premiums because of it, and not by a small margin.

I am also 100% certain how PD have fully understand the feel of community towards Standard models and how future GT games will be pretty different regarding that particular issue.

It will be a sad day if that happens, since they're clearly not going to upgrade all standards to premiums.

Top Bottom