• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Dead Man

That's not what I asked.
Yes it is, just not directly.

Some people talk about the same shit, others latch on to what one person says and then everyone goes off on it. The circle of GT5.

I get the confusion, but I think you understood my point as well.

I don't expect people to congratulate them for anything, if you don't like it, you don't like it. My point is, this is the OT for the game, there is no value of people coming here and complaining over and over at this point. If you don't like the game, move on with something else in life.

I did understand you point, I was mostly being facetious. Why shouldn't I discuss a game I own and play though? Circle jerks only?

All games are forever incomplete then.
Just download GT Academy, have some fun golding it and see where you stand against our fellow gaffers. I'd say you'd have a better time than complaining about tire pressure and whatnot so late in the run!

If anything I think Kaz is always trying to improve the game in his own pace without compromising its wide audience or diverge from the "driving experience".

Judging from the latest patch, it is pretty clear the game was fundamentally unfinished when released. I don't think that is a controversial statement.

I also know I am slower than most gaffers already, don't need to be reminded of that!!

amar212

Hopefully it's the update that contains the GT Academy awards. GAWD.

It probably does, but we will have to wait for an *unlock* update that will grant the prizes on 4th July.

Also, the size of the update implies how Motegi is also probably in. It remains to be seen is the the only content of the obviously upcoming DLC (and will we get it for free, which I doubt), but we can only speculate at this point.

amar212

amar, do you believe we'll see a Spec 3.0 update?

Most probably, yes.

I think we will find out many details about future of GT either on E3 or on Gamescom (or TGS latest).

Since all details are now talking about PS4 being released no earlier than late 2013/14, I doubt PD will wait so long to release GT6 for the new platform. So either we're getting GT6 on PS3 (I personally find it most probable), or we're getting GT5 updates in much more regular form through 2012 (including 3.0 and later) with GT6 being released sometimes in 2013.

We can all agree how the current GT5 code has changed dramatically through past 18 months and how it was also more-less an old-code even on release (2009 code most probably).

If they can do just few upgrades to GT5 (I'll post them below) they could very easily make it as another standalone product and sell it as an GT6. Foundations of GT5 are great for that. Here are the details I personally find plausible to justify a new standalone release and everybody would be damn happy:

> rehash of plethora of the "Original" circuits (as well as other circuits such as incoming Motegi, rumoured Bathurst, etc) with spiced-up course count and daytime/warther changes for more circuits

> adding additional 150-200 Premium cars (we know they've been seriously officially hiring for modelling department prior to the earthquake)

> further "makeuping" the Standards with more tuning options (I do not want to lose the Standards, but that is my personal plegde)

> deploying completely new offline Career structure (including expanded Special Events races, more dedicated A-Spec events, return of Mission Races, etc.)

> inclusion of Leaderboards (GTAcademy is a great stress-test for servers) and maybe Official Matchmaking (lacking since Prologue) and revamped Seasonal Career (with plethora of data they've collected in past 18 months they can pretty much see the pattern of popularity and such to a great detail)

> expanded Course Maker functionality (up to 20 new environments would do miracles with added option to adjust the sloping of the corners, inserting chicanes for selected type of environments <racing tracks> and added option of point-to-point courses - as we seen in GT5 pre-release videos and GT5 Rally section the game, then mysteriously disappearing from the Course Maker final release >> imagine the Online Lobby with 14 players tackling the generated P2P course in the real-time, without any of them previously seeing it and post-race results and ability to make a Championship for instance. No brainer I think)

> Expanded B-Spec functionality- at the first place ability to race B-Spec races in online in real-time with your friends. I still can't comprehend why can't we do that and that would be glorious to do.. on the second place it would be dramatically expanded B-Spec career (I LOVE B-SPEC) with Remote Racing being compatible with Career races and such and even greater online integration

> Expanded Online MP - inclusion of Teams (players can jump into teams in online races and play for team score for instance), inclusion of B-Spec Team (I can have my B-Spec bob changing me in online Endurance MP races), inclusion of Online Championship (predetermined set of tracks for Online MP and aggregating the scores for every race)

> new Photo Travel locations (rehashing 20 locations for GT4 would be a great start for instance)

..and we have GT6.

But nevermind the dreams, I see 3.0 incoming very soon TBH. Probably announced at E3, Sony has to have very strong 2012/2013.

And we still have to see what has PD done for Vita (if they've done anything) and what is going on with the Tourist Trophy project.

Yes it is, just not directly.

No it wasnt. I asked why is it a problem for some ppl just NOW after one year, you simple awnsered why no adjustable tyre pressure is a problem, but didn't say why are you, and others, only complaining about it just now, after one year. Did you just wake up that morning and felt like doing a driveby troll?

Dead Man

No it wasnt. I asked why is it a problem for some ppl just NOW after one year, you simple awnsered why no adjustable tyre pressure is a problem, but didn't say why are you, and others, only complaining about it just now, after one year. Did you just wake up that morning and felt like doing a driveby troll?

You are accusing me of doing a driveby troll when I already answered that question? Methinks you need to actually read what I wrote. I can't speak for others, but I already explained why I made that post. I can write a huge rant if you prefer...

You are accusing me of doing a driveby troll when I already answered that question? Methinks you need to actually read what I wrote. I can't speak for others, but I already explained why I made that post. I can write a huge rant if you prefer...
But you still DIDN'T answer. WHY NOW? Why not 1 year ago? Why not half a year ago? Why not at release? Where were this strong feelings about that specific game mechanic?

And I'm not accusing you because that's what you actually did.

You replied to a Kaz race on the Nurburgring with "Meh, I'll congratulate him when his game has tyre pressures.", which has nothing to do with it. "I don't care about you guys just posted but his game sucks". Definition of a drive by trolling if I ever saw one.

"It is now possible to adjust the race BGM and sound effect volume from "Quick Options" during a race."

I've been waiting 15 years to do this in a GT game
KuGsj.gif

Prize suit:

[]http://i.imgur.com/qVCFt.jpg[/] []http://i.imgur.com/EkMix.jpg[/]

I wonder if the number on the suit will match the cars number.

Dead Man

But you still DIDN'T answer. WHY NOW? Why not 1 year ago? Why not half a year ago? Why not at release? Where were this strong feelings about that specific game mechanic?

And I'm not accusing you because that's what you actually did.

You replied to a Kaz race on the Nurburgring with "Meh, I'll congratulate him when his game has tyre pressures.", which has nothing to do with it. "I don't care about you guys just posted but his game sucks". Definition of a drive by trolling if I ever saw one.

Bloody hell, it's not that complicated. I posed that instead of a giant rant in the interests of brevity. He can do what he wants, he is a massively successful guy. I will not be congratulating him though for things that don't contribute to my enjoyment of his product. Tyre pressure (as you would know if you read my actual post already describing this) was shorthand so I didn't have to write out the thesis I have already written a few times in this and the earlier threads. But if you want me to go through everything I think is still missing, I can do that.

He drove a car fast around a track and that's it. He did nothing that 120 other drivers didn't do that day. He did not excel at his actual job. If he had done that, I wouldn't be left wanting more of his game. The Academy guy, I will say congratulations to him, that is genuinley cool.

Bloody hell, it's not that complicated. I posed that instead of a giant rant in the interests of brevity. He can do what he wants, he is a massively successful guy. I will not be congratulating him though for things that don't contribute to my enjoyment of his product. Tyre pressure (as you would know if you read my actual post already describing this) was shorthand so I didn't have to write out the thesis I have already written a few times in this and the earlier threads. But if you want me to go through everything I think is still missing, I can do that.
Did you? Cause it's the first time I've seen people actively complaining about it being a big problem, nothing outside of simple mentions (and a quick search holds no results for you as well), yet all of the sudden, in less then a week like 3 people are suddenly all upset about it.

THAT'S what I'm finding funny about the situation, which seems you still don't get. It's like you saw offshore complaining about it out of the blue and suddenly it's a problem for you as well, even though it never was before.

He drove a car fast around a track and that's it. He did nothing that 120 other drivers didn't do that day. He did not excel at his actual job. If he had done that, I wouldn't be left wanting more of his game. The Academy guy, I will say congratulations to him, that is genuinley cool.

And yet you decided to tie that to tyre pressure... some how.

Dead Man

Did you? Cause it's the first time I've seen people actively complaining about it being a big problem, nothing outside of simple mentions (and a quick search holds no results for you as well), yet all of the sudden, in less then a week like 3 people are suddenly all upset about it.

THAT'S what I'm finding funny about the situation, which seems you still don't get. It's like you saw offshore complaining about it out of the blue and suddenly it's a problem for you as well, even though it never was before.

And yet you decided to tie that to tyre pressure... some how.

Can... can you read? The tyre pressure is a small part of the bigger problem. I could have said a race creator, I could have said weather for all tracks, I could have said the paint system, I could have said any one of dozens of issues, I chose tyre pressure since it is one of the more directly related to race cars as opposed to street cars.

I will not be discussing this with you any more.

Edit: Although I amused you are upset by 3 whole people talking about something. People have been bitching about this since NASCAR was gimped with no tyre pressure, but you drive on.

amar212

... People have been bitching about this since NASCAR was gimped with no tyre pressure, but you drive on.

Tyre pressure in NASCAR (or any other part of the game) is valid complaint, but what makes me personally mad is the fact how ASM assist was forced into all NASCAR races with one of the patches (1.06 or whetever) and it can't be turned off.

Also, mandatory SRF is forced in all License Test races from the very release of the game, making them too easy for all who were seeking for "old-school" challenge, removing all finesse of physics. There is no way you can turn it off. It was and still remains my single greatest personal disappointment in GT5 game.

Mandatory SRF has also been introduced in few updates of Seasonal Races through time. Not been able to turn SRF-off immediately killed all challenge and finesse.

Tyre pressure? Okay, I agree to some point. But to have decent tyre pressure we should have revamped tyre-model with proper zones (inside-middle-outside) and such and it would probably demand lots of work. I hope it will come one day, of course, more options and features are always welcomed.

But having mandatory assists - which is a damn oxymoron on the first place, how the *assist* can be *mandatory*???? - that one still blows my mind.

Can... can you read? The tyre pressure is a small part of the bigger problem. I could have said a race creator, I could have said weather for all tracks, I could have said the paint system, I could have said any one of dozens of issues, I chose tyre pressure since it is one of the more directly related to race cars as opposed to street cars.

I will not be discussing this with you any more.

Edit: Although I amused you are upset by 3 whole people talking about something. People have been bitching about this since NASCAR was gimped with no tyre pressure, but you drive on.

Still missing the point... Forget about it.

Dead Man

Tyre pressure in NASCAR (or any other part of the game) is valid complaint, but what makes me personally mad is the fact how ASM assist was forced into all NASCAR races with one of the patches (1.06 or whetever) and it can't be turned off.

Also, mandatory SRF is forced in all License Test races from the very release of the game, making them too easy for all who were seeking for "old-school" challenge, removing all finesse of physics. There is no way you can turn it off. It was and still remains my single greatest personal disappointment in GT5 game.

Mandatory SRF has also been introduced in few updates of Seasonal Races through time. Not been able to turn SRF-off immediately killed all challenge and finesse.

Tyre pressure? Okay, I agree to some point. But to have decent tyre pressure we should have revamped tyre-model with proper zones (inside-middle-outside) and such and it would probably demand lots of work. I hope it will come one day, of course, more options and features are always welcomed.

But having mandatory assists - which is a damn oxymoron on the first place, how the *assist* can be *mandatory*???? - that one still blows my mind.

yeah the ASM especially but all the mandatory assists are silly decisions. I find the mandatory ASM actually makes the event harder too.

And I guess maybe my expectations have been high since I started playing driving sims in the golden age.

1994:
NASCAR_Racing_box_art.png

1996:
Grand_Prix_2_Coverart.png

Both of which had tyre pressures, among a multitude of other setup options :)

amar212

And I guess maybe my expectations have been high since I started playing driving sims in the golden age.

Both of which had tyre pressures, among a multitude of other setup options :)

I am than older than you ;)

And completely agree. But it is (was?) a totally different focus, I can use original F355 Challenge game as an example for above, where you have basically just one "type" of the vehicle and than you have according plethora of options for adjusting in order to mimic the real-life capabilities.

I have nothing against any adjustment-options (I do not use word *tuning*, it is different world alltoghether) on top of existing, but there is room for many improvements into already existing foundations.

Hence my comment of assist. I am 100% aware they've introduced ASM to make NASCAR races more challenging (Daytona most notably), but it was done in wrong way. Instead of finding a way to introduce restrictors and mandate the player's car-setup to fit the AI and create a competitive environment, they've just enforced ASM.

paskowitz

Here are the details I personally find plausible to justify a new standalone release and everybody would be damn happy:

> rehash of plethora of the "Original" circuits (as well as other circuits such as incoming Motegi, rumoured Bathurst, etc) with spiced-up course count and daytime/warther changes for more circuits

> adding additional 150-200 Premium cars (we know they've been seriously officially hiring for modelling department prior to the earthquake)

> further "makeuping" the Standards with more tuning options (I do not want to lose the Standards, but that is my personal plegde)

> deploying completely new offline Career structure (including expanded Special Events races, more dedicated A-Spec events, return of Mission Races, etc.)

> inclusion of Leaderboards (GTAcademy is a great stress-test for servers) and maybe Official Matchmaking (lacking since Prologue) and revamped Seasonal Career (with plethora of data they've collected in past 18 months they can pretty much see the pattern of popularity and such to a great detail)

> expanded Course Maker functionality (up to 20 new environments would do miracles with added option to adjust the sloping of the corners, inserting chicanes for selected type of environments <racing tracks> and added option of point-to-point courses - as we seen in GT5 pre-release videos and GT5 Rally section the game, then mysteriously disappearing from the Course Maker final release >> imagine the Online Lobby with 14 players tackling the generated P2P course in the real-time, without any of them previously seeing it and post-race results and ability to make a Championship for instance. No brainer I think)

> Expanded B-Spec functionality- at the first place ability to race B-Spec races in online in real-time with your friends. I still can't comprehend why can't we do that and that would be glorious to do.. on the second place it would be dramatically expanded B-Spec career (I LOVE B-SPEC) with Remote Racing being compatible with Career races and such and even greater online integration

> Expanded Online MP - inclusion of Teams (players can jump into teams in online races and play for team score for instance), inclusion of B-Spec Team (I can have my B-Spec bob changing me in online Endurance MP races), inclusion of Online Championship (predetermined set of tracks for Online MP and aggregating the scores for every race)

> new Photo Travel locations (rehashing 20 locations for GT4 would be a great start for instance)

..and we have GT6.

Fantastic ideas. I did not even think of this. It is so obvious.

BTW, Amar, CSW is on its way.

Dead Man

I am than older than you ;)

And completely agree. But it is (was?) a totally different focus, I can use original F355 Challenge game as an example for above, where you have basically just one "type" of the vehicle and than you have according plethora of options for adjusting in order to mimic the real-life capabilities.

I have nothing against any adjustment-options (I do not use word *tuning*, it is different world alltoghether) on top of existing, but there is room for many improvements into already existing foundations.

Hence my comment of assist. I am 100% aware they've introduced ASM to make NASCAR races more challenging (Daytona most notably), but it was done in wrong way. Instead of finding a way to introduce restrictors and mandate the player's car-setup to fit the AI and create a competitive environment, they've just enforced ASM.

Yeah. The base simulation of road cars is great, and I don't mind about the lower level of set up available. I like getting in a car and driving. It's just the race series they have are so unrealistic it sort of feels silly to me.

offshore

Oh man, don't talk about NASCAR. I could go crazy bitching about how bad it is in GT5 :lol

Hope they expand on NASCAR in GT6 and don't get rid of it. Proper flag system and Daytona @ night would be glorious. I don't understand why we don't have Daytona at night now though, especially when SSRX does :(

paskowitz

I can confirm FFB is strong and tighter. There is more resistance when you initially start to turn the wheel. This should help logitech owners since the deadzone is now mitigated.

Also:

magawolaz

Most probably, yes.

I think we will find out many details about future of GT either on E3 or on Gamescom (or TGS latest).

Since all details are now talking about PS4 being released no earlier than late 2013/14, I doubt PD will wait so long to release GT6 for the new platform. So either we're getting GT6 on PS3 (I personally find it most probable), or we're getting GT5 updates in much more regular form through 2012 (including 3.0 and later) with GT6 being released sometimes in 2013.

We can all agree how the current GT5 code has changed dramatically through past 18 months and how it was also more-less an old-code even on release (2009 code most probably).

If they can do just few upgrades to GT5 (I'll post them below) they could very easily make it as another standalone product and sell it as an GT6. Foundations of GT5 are great for that. Here are the details I personally find plausible to justify a new standalone release and everybody would be damn happy:

..and we have GT6.

But nevermind the dreams, I see 3.0 incoming very soon TBH. Probably announced at E3, Sony has to have very strong 2012/2013.

And we still have to see what has PD done for Vita (if they've done anything) and what is going on with the Tourist Trophy project.
I remember Kaz last year saying something like "you won't have to wait so long for GT6", and some months later Yoshida saying "PD's next project will take some time", so I don't know what to expect lol

I have to admit that a new GT Portable for Vita (maybe with PS3 cross-play online?) would be interesting, and I see it more likely to be done than a GT6 on PS3. Also because Vita needs AAA games, and GT's franchise is probably one of the biggest Sony has (at least in EU). Sony's E3 will be Vita focused, so... who knows?

In the meantime, they could release Spec 3/DLCs for GT5, and postpone GT6 to PS4.

Actually, I'm ok with pretty much every decision they make :lol
- Announce GT6 for PS3: yes, the hardware limitations will be there, but there will be much more content and plenty of features they didn't put in GT5.
- Release Spec 3.0 + DLCs and keep GT6 for PS4
- Announce GT Vita

Just... talk to me, PD. Enough with this radio silence.

I can confirm FFB is strong and tighter. There is more resistance when you initially start to turn the wheel. This should help logitech owners since the deadzone is now mitigated.

Also:

Fixed the image for you (tinypic is banned).

paskowitz

Imo, this is how its going to go. GT5 spec 3, GT vita, then GT6 on the PS4. This would fit the cycle for the last couple of years... GT5p, GT psp, then GT5. Spec 3 will be a prologue to GT6. If this is the case GT6 will likely be a year 2 or year 3 PS4 title.

Dead Man

Imo, this is how its going to go. GT5 spec 3, GT vita, then GT6 on the PS4. This would fit the cycle for the last couple of years... GT5p, GT psp, then GT5. Spec 3 will be a prologue to GT6. If this is the case GT6 will likely be a year 2 or year 3 PS4 title.

I would be very pleased with that. I don't want a full numbered release on PS3, too many compromises have to be made.

Oh God that video. I'd be punching myself in the face. Lmao.

Anyway... Does the DFGT still shake while going real fast after the latest update?... I'm still waiting for that to get fixed. =/

Also... I need help finding a good / cheap wheel mount... or a compact DIY alternative.

Business

Oh God that video. I'd be punching myself in the face. Lmao.

Anyway... Does the DFGT still shake while going real fast after the latest update?... I'm still waiting for that to get fixed. =/

Also... I need help finding a good / cheap wheel mount... or a compact DIY alternative.

Wheelstandpro will come at 120 eur for a DFGT, it's very good, not so cheap though.

rakanishu

Banned
Why is it that the power to the wheels cuts off when they lift off the ground, or when you go on the grass/gravel in this game? It's like a hidden traction control that you can't turn off. Annying as hell :/

Why is it that the power to the wheels cuts off when they lift off the ground, or when you go on the grass/gravel in this game? It's like a hidden traction control that you can't turn off. Annying as hell :/

I noticed that on the grass, you even see the red bar on the throttle appear like when TC is on, but I never noticed that happen when you lift off.

IISANDERII

This is by far the most fun I've had with a seasonal event. I'm loving the new update that gives you a bonus for racing with a lower PP. It leads to close racing and experimentation that's meaningful. How low can you go!
I recommend starting out at 380pp and going from there[though for Daytona you'll need to crank her back up to 430].
The bonus xp is nice too and I've finally reached level 39 A class. Finally after a mere 18months, I'm on the home stretch.

This is by far the most fun I've had with a seasonal event. I'm loving the new update that gives you a bonus for racing with a lower PP. It leads to close racing and experimentation that's meaningful. How low can you go!
I recommend starting out at 380pp and going from there[though for Daytona you'll need to crank her back up to 430].
The bonus xp is nice too and I've finally reached level 39 A class. Finally after a mere 18months, I'm on the home stretch.

Haha, the home stretch is when u get to 80% of 39. Ur still a long way.

Ive been 39 for like... 5 months or something.

gate777

Ok, WTF just happened? I was updating GT5 to the latest update and it downloaded fine. At the install it gave me an error saying the data was corrupt. I attempted to update again and now I'm prompted to download 16 individual updates!

I checked under my install data and now my 9GB plus GT5 data is corrupt.....great, just fucking great.

spats

Ok, WTF just happened? I was updating GT5 to the latest update and it downloaded fine. At the install it gave me an error saying the data was corrupt. I attempted to update again and now I'm prompted to download 16 individual updates!

I checked under my install data and now my 9GB plus GT5 data is corrupt.....great, just fucking great.

That sucks a lot. Only time something got corrupted for me was when Tomb Raider Underworld froze while saving which messed up the save file.

Mxrz

I haven't been following the game much this year. The lack of new tracks hurt, and because I can't remember to log in every single day I haven't been able to get my bonus back up to 200%. It just feels pointless doing Seasonals without it. Anyway -

This new scaling rewards stuff, does it work with XP too? Been 35 for ages. I'm all for exploiting the system! - And do you actually get any cars in GT5 out of the GT academy demo/thing?

Can someone test out the Golf IV GTI RM? Am I going crazy or did the engine sound change? Specially at low rpms.

I haven't been following the game much this year. The lack of new tracks hurt, and because I can't remember to log in every single day I haven't been able to get my bonus back up to 200%. It just feels pointless doing Seasonals without it. Anyway -

This new scaling rewards stuff, does it work with XP too? Been 35 for ages. I'm all for exploiting the system! - And do you actually get any cars in GT5 out of the GT academy demo/thing?

Yes it works for XP too.

Top Bottom