• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

offshore

At this point, I don't think we even need to be worried about the possibility of PD being distracted by making GT Vita.

Clearly nobody at Sony is developing Vita games
KuGsj.gif

GT has always been at E3, up until 2010. It was missing last year and now missing again.

Good sign.

Means they are not wasting their time on Vita, and they are (we guess) focusing on GT6 and PS4.

If GT6 was a quickie, like Kaz said, then it would be out sometime in 2013, right? If that was the case, game would probably be announced this year. It´s not, so we will probably only have a GT game no earlier than 2014, which could be a flagship title for the PS4.

Fingers crossed.

Looking back at this gen, it was kind of wasted by Gran Turismo. We did had some good moments, like Neogaf´s championships and GT Academy year in year out, but the actual game created a bunch of obstacles for us to enjoy.

I remember an endless and painfull grind to get rid of b-spec and collect the cars, when i was done with this crap, i enjoyed a Neogaf cup, then i had to move, spent some months without my wheel, and when i came back, well, most had already left the game.

I discovered there´s a huge problem PD overlooked thinking on the game two years after. Since it does not have leaderboards and a decent matchmaking system, it´s pretty much dead online, and it´s a shame.

They need GT6 way, way early on PS4 lifecycle, and they need the whole game finished.

Call me crazy, but i think i enjoyed Prologue a lot more online, even tough it´s an inferior game. I could always jump on some 16 player races on Suzuka and Fuji, and could always try to do hotlaps with the cars... i can´t believe this ended up hurting GT5 so much for me.

Hopefully all the cool cars and tracks they produced are not wasted, and can be used in some form for GT6.

/end of mini rant.

dubc35

I like having the wheel mounted in a stationary place like a real car. I also play some older PC sims like GTR2 so this wouldn't work. I had actually forgotten about Move. I hope PD doesn't waste a lot of time developing for this, GT or Tourist Trophy, and that Sony doesn't force them to.

paskowitz

GT has always been at E3, up until 2010. It was missing last year and now missing again.

Good sign.

Means they are not wasting their time on Vita, and they are (we guess) focusing on GT6 and PS4.

If GT6 was a quickie, like Kaz said, then it would be out sometime in 2013, right? If that was the case, game would probably be announced this year. It´s not, so we will probably only have a GT game no earlier than 2014, which could be a flagship title for the PS4.

Fingers crossed.

Looking back at this gen, it was kind of wasted by Gran Turismo. We did had some good moments, like Neogaf´s championships and GT Academy year in year out, but the actual game created a bunch of obstacles for us to enjoy.

I remember an endless and painfull grind to get rid of b-spec and collect the cars, when i was done with this crap, i enjoyed a Neogaf cup, then i had to move, spent some months without my wheel, and when i came back, well, most had already left the game.

I discovered there´s a huge problem PD overlooked thinking on the game two years after. Since it does not have leaderboards and a decent matchmaking system, it´s pretty much dead online, and it´s a shame.

They need GT6 way, way early on PS4 lifecycle, and they need the whole game finished.

Call me crazy, but i think i enjoyed Prologue a lot more online, even tough it´s an inferior game. I could always jump on some 16 player races on Suzuka and Fuji, and could always try to do hotlaps with the cars... i can´t believe this ended up hurting GT5 so much for me.

Hopefully all the cool cars and tracks they produced are not wasted, and can be used in some form for GT6.

/end of mini rant.

I agree 100%.

dubc35

I was hoping for Kaz to nonchalantly walk out on stage, interrupt Jack and say "Sorry Jack. I don't mean to interrupt; I just wanted to say that all standard cars in GT5 are now premiums effective immediately. Carry on." ...and then walk off. Bam, giant enemy crab standing ovation!

IISANDERII

it´s pretty much dead online
Except that it's not. No matter what day or time, I can jump into a good room and have some excellent races, of many different kinds. Sure there are rooms that I'm not interested in like drag races, cops+robbers, drifting, but I've never had trouble finding a room with pure racing. The only exception being the PSN downtime.

Seeing all these next gen demos is making me drool at the thought of what PD has running in their studio right now. GT6 not being at E3 has given me confidence that Sony has made the right decision by making it a PS4 title.

saladine1

Seeing all these next gen demos is making me drool at the thought of what PD has running in their studio right now. GT6 not being at E3 has given me confidence that Sony has made the right decision by making it a PS4 title.

I wouldn't want it any other way.

So, any decent speculation on a GT6 time frame?
Any chance of it actually being a launch title?

It would be an absolute dream for me if the PS4 and GT6 coincides with a Xbox 720 and FM5 release. Literally, it would be the only two games I would play!

The mind boggles at the possibilities...

So, any decent speculation on a GT6 time frame?
Any chance of it actually being a launch title?

I think the launch window would be the goal if Sony is really allowing them to develop it as a PS4 title. Although it would probably depend on how long they've had any sort of dev kit to work on in order to build it. They completed GT5 in 2010, so they've had to be up to something more than just DLC since then. Sony needs it to be ready for that launch window. I wouldn't mind a GT3-type release. Cut the fat (standard cars and courses) and just focus on a smaller but more polished package for the first next gen title.

Angst

I think the launch window would be the goal if Sony is really allowing them to develop it as a PS4 title. Although it would probably depend on how long they've had any sort of dev kit to work on in order to build it. They completed GT5 in 2010, so they've had to be up to something more than just DLC since then. Sony needs it to be ready for that launch window. I wouldn't mind a GT3-type release. Cut the fat (standard cars and courses) and just focus on a smaller but more polished package for the first next gen title.

I'd be really sad to see courses get cut, standard cars would be unfortunate but understandable given the backlash they got last time. GT6 at launch would be the only thing making me buy the PS4 (at launch).

saladine1

I'd be really sad to see courses get cut, standard cars would be unfortunate but understandable given the backlash they got last time. GT6 at launch would be the only thing making me buy the PS4 (at launch).

I agree with SolidSnakex in that standard cars and courses would need to go. A focused game should take priority over quantity.
I also would only buy a PS4 at launch if it had GT6 in it's launch lineup. I pray that is the case..

Dead Man

I think they should keep the standard cars and just get rid of the premium/standard divide. Integrate them. I don't really care about the detail in the engine bay as long as it drives right. Some of the standards are eyesores, but I don't really notice when I'm racing these days.

At this point, I don't think we even need to be worried about the possibility of PD being distracted by making GT Vita.

Clearly nobody at Sony is developing Vita games
KuGsj.gif

Indeed. :)

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Pardon my ignorance, but what does everyone mean when you are all talking about getting rid of standard cars and courses (particularly in reference to being an improvement to the series)?

Angst

Pardon my ignorance, but what does everyone mean when you are all talking about getting rid of standard cars and courses (particularly in reference to being an improvement to the series)?

the ps2 models

Besides removing a bullet point under "The Bad" in reviews I fail to see what removing the standard cars + tracks would accomplish. It's not like they're taking up precious modeling and development time with the standards anyway.

They do need to revamp the career mode though. I do NOT want to start another GT game with the Sunday Cup...

amar212

Removing tracks is like the worst thing they can do... Even worst then removing standard cards. Don't give them any freaking ideas.

If anything, they should include MORE (all) of the old tracks...

They shoould include ALL of the old tracks.

Just port them. Upscale them. Use same textures for everything. But just give them.

Apricot and Midfield can be remade from Suzuka textures and object libraries in no time. Red Rock Valley with HSR and Cape Ring textures and just different time of day. Grundenwald is peice of cake with Eiger library. SSR11 with both SS5 and SS7 objects and surfaces.

Tahity Road and cities could be problematic though.

Angst

^Agreed.

Speaking of tracks, I've been out of the loop for a while, but has Motegi been confirmed as a coming DLC track? I guessed it was part of GTAcc, but it hasn't been featured in any of the rounds yet.

^Agreed.

Speaking of tracks, I've been out of the loop for a while, but has Motegi been confirmed as a coming DLC track? I guessed it was part of GTAcc, but it hasn't been featured in any of the rounds yet.

Last round for sure. Also the size of the GT5 update a few weeks ago probably means it had the track in it.

Angst

Last round for sure. Also the size of the GT5 update a few weeks ago probably means it had the track in it.

Ok, thanks. Out of curiosity, how did you guys reach the conclusion that Motegi would feature at all? Cryptic tweet from Kaz or shown in a trailer?

Niks

They shoould include ALL of the old tracks.

Just port them. Upscale them. Use same textures for everything. But just give them.

Apricot and Midfield can be remade from Suzuka textures and object libraries in no time. Red Rock Valley with HSR and Cape Ring textures and just different time of day. Grundenwald is peice of cake with Eiger library. SSR11 with both SS5 and SS7 objects and surfaces.

AS much as I would like more tracks, I disagree on just including them regardless of quality...

PS4 will be able to handle even more detailed cars, having them run around on pixelated tracks will stick out like a sore thumb. What PD needs to do is to hire more people.

Simple as that.

I only see them dropping cars and tracks due to the backlash against standard cars. I think the DLC since then has been a good indication that this is the route that they're going. They've only released premium tracks and cars for DLC, even though they showed standard tracks in trailers that still aren't in the actual game. I doubt they ever will be unless they bump them up to premium status. I doubt that PD enjoyed being called lazy due to those courses and cars, which is why I doubt that we'll ever see them do that again.

Well, Twin Ring Motegi is a standard track and that's coming out. You can tell by the shots it didn't get a major overhaul. It's in the same line as Sarthe.

They either change it, or the market changes them. People are using laser scanned tracks and doing car models in a much shorter period of time.

I´m sure they learned some things with GT5, and they are working on this since 2010.

GT5 was a plataform for GT, wasn´t like a finished game. In that sense, they can have for 2014 all that is in GT5 + four years of work. 2014 is a good date. Considering GT4 - 2005 and GT5 in 2010, they can get to GT6 a bit faster (four years instead of five) if some of the assets can be reused.

Standard models were already been reworked as premiuns, so it won´t be a surprise that those cars will be cut from a future release. Only reason they were in is that Sony didn´t want a GT5 with 220 cars and 10 tracks. Also, number of models will go down with that transition because of two things:

1 - Kaz said himself that japanese were crazy with mutiple versions of the same car in the 90´s. As seen with the premiuns, it´s a safe bet that they would include one Evo VIII instead of 22 versions of Evo VIII´s. Premiuns won´t have so many clones.

2 - Some strandards were included just because they were the current models of mundane cars. I know a lot of iconic cars are old and get in because of that, but most of GT4 car roster is compiled of current regular cars, so i doubt things like a 01´ Ford Mondeo or a ´04 Dodge Neon will get "premium treatment". Most likely GT6 will feature up to date version of those cars.

Their only problem right now is to develop cars and tracks. Models that can be upscaled depending on the tech. They can wait for dev kits, but in the meantime they can work on content non stop.

paskowitz

If they go to the PS4 I see their biggest problem being simply adapting to the new hardware. They have plenty of assets, models, etc. But getting the physics and such to work on the hw will likely be a challenge, since it is rumored to be substantially different from the PS3. But I agree. 2014 seems very reasonable.

Good sign.

Fingers crossed.

/end of mini rant.

Agree. I think they know what they did wrong. I hope they learn from it.

amar212

PS4 will be able to handle even more detailed cars, having them run around on pixelated tracks will stick out like a sore thumb. What PD needs to do is to hire more people.

Oh, yeah on that. I was talking about PS3 and GT5 or GT6 on this gen.

I really want GT6 on PS3. I know I am a minority, but I can't play the same 15 usable tracks every weekend for 2 more years.

offshore

I really want GT6 on PS3. I know I am a minority

Not on GTP you're not :p I'd love GT6 to be on PS4 just to laugh at the many on GTP who attack anyone who would like or thinks otherwise.

Plenty of good arguments for it being on either platform really. Though the fact that weather will probably still look terrible on PS3 is big reason why I'd probably prefer GT6 on PS4.

paskowitz

Oh, yeah on that. I was talking about PS3 and GT5 or GT6 on this gen.

I really want GT6 on PS3. I know I am a minority, but I can't play the same 15 usable tracks every weekend for 2 more years.

Honestly, I have gotten to the point where I play GT5, get bored, play iRacing, have no money, stop iRacing, play other PC sims, get bored and then go back to GT5 and repeat. I think I will be able to handle that for 2 years.

There are a lot of great PC coming out that should bide the time, Assetto Corsa, GTR3?, rFactor 2, RBR 201X updates, etc. Also, I have been hotlapping around The Ring in Gran Turismo since GT4 came out and I do not see it getting boring anytime soon. At sunrise/sunset, it really is the single best thing that can be done in GT5.

Finally, I know that when KY and PD get GT right, the way they want it, it will be glorious. I am willing to wait for that day.

Not on GTP you're not :p I'd love GT6 to be on PS4 just to laugh at the many on GTP who attack anyone who would like or thinks otherwise.

Plenty of good arguments for it being on either platform really. Though the fact that weather will probably still look terrible on PS3 is big reason why I'd probably prefer GT6 on PS4.

Yep. Honestly, I think the GT6 on PS4 and give us spec III with ~10 cars, 2 tracks and maybe point to point races or something like that.

Also, on the topic of GT6. They really need to include a Mod Nation Racers style track editor. This would SINGLE HANDEDLY make GT6 almost infinitely repayable. I would take that over a livery editor any day. Penis shaped tracks are much more tolerable than a pink Jaguar XJ13 with swastikas on it.

Niks

A sensible and logic not to mention very profitable (ie. not happening) roadmap would look like this.

- GT5 spec III (10-15 cars + 2-4 tracks)

- GT6 Prologue at PS4 launch.

- GT6 a year later.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Also, on the topic of GT6. They really need to include a Mod Nation Racers style track editor. This would SINGLE HANDEDLY make GT6 almost infinitely repayable. I would take that over a livery editor any day. Penis shaped tracks are much more tolerable than a pink Jaguar XJ13 with swastikas on it.

It does not even need to be that detailed. It can simply be an improvement of what we have now, something we can have in an update not even in a new game. Give us more control on individual turn changes and sectors and it would be far better. And auto-populate with more track side items and make them easy to share and vote on, and done. Infinite tracks and with crowdsourced voting, the cream of the crop rises to the top, even if auto generated.

A sensible and logic not to mention very profitable (ie. not happening) roadmap would look like this.

- GT6 a year later.

Yep. This is what I expect. Anything else and they miss the boat by a mile again.

Dead Man

- GT6 a year later.

I like this, and it seems logical. Means it will never happen :)

In regards views, I found a video that has pretty much exactly the view I want available from a racing game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJj8atDGBzk

If you crop it to show the bonnet/hood a bit and get some sort of 16:9 aspect on it I think it looks pretty good. You would want a floating rear view mirror though.

6q77X.jpg

Maybe extend the FOV on the sides a bit for better situational awareness of when a car is next to you. The cockpit view just has too much obstruction that I don't notice when I actually drive.

Business

- GT6 a year later.

Not happening specially due to how staggeringly slow PD is at creating tracks. We get Motegi and with luck another one. If they release four they don't have anything for a GT6 at launch.

Angst

I like this, and it seems logical. Means it will never happen :)

In regards views, I found a video that has pretty much exactly the view I want available from a racing game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJj8atDGBzk

If you crop it to show the bonnet/hood a bit and get some sort of 16:9 aspect on it I think it looks pretty good. You would want a floating rear view mirror though.

6q77X.jpg

Maybe extend the FOV on the sides a bit for better situational awareness of when a car is next to you. The cockpit view just has too much obstruction that I don't notice when I actually drive.

Like in GT5, but with the seat moved forward all the way grandma-style? :p
it still baffles me why we can't adjust the viewpoint in cockpits when the interior is fully modeled anyway

Dead Man

Like in GT5, but with the seat moved forward all the way grandma-style? :p
it still baffles me why we can't adjust the viewpoint in cockpits when the interior is fully modeled anyway

LOL, yeah, pretty much, just with a nice wide fov.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Two questions!

1). What view is "standard" or best to use? I'm comfortable in most, but I don't know of other sims use one or another as standard.

2). Is it supposed to be super tough to gold most license tests? I'm trying to gold B group and I simply can't do it, ha.

Two questions!

1). What view is "standard" or best to use? I'm comfortable in most, but I don't know of other sims use one or another as standard.

2). Is it supposed to be super tough to gold most license tests? I'm trying to gold B group and I simply can't do it, ha.

1) Cockpit or bumper

2) One or 2 are particularly hard, but the rest are pretty easy.

Goldrusher

There's no "bumper cam". It's the exact same view as cockpit cam, but you don't see any part of the car. It's basically "invisible car cockpit cam".

It's not "exactly" the same, there's a small elevation and FOV change, but still, yeah not a bumper cam, but seriously... you know what I meant.

Watevaman

It depends on what I'm trying to do, but for setting fast laps I usually use the roof cam. It seems to me that I can tell where the car is and what it's doing better when I'm up high.

dubc35

New 500pp FR 5 race seasonal is up, Chevy fans get in the OCD too, all Chevy (with a TC and F1), also a Camaro SS TC for winning the 5 races.

I'm loving the new-ish performance adjustment bonuses; just raked in 835k by winning the first FR seasonal.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
There's no "bumper cam". It's the exact same view as cockpit cam, but you don't see any part of the car. It's basically "invisible car cockpit cam".

This is what I'm using most of the time. It gives a better sense of speed and realism to me.

Also, I'm finding silver very doable for license challenges, but gold will take some practice. I imagine once I get a better grasp of the mechanics of driving better that they'll come to me.

amar212

I would never agree on this.

Here is the drawing I made some time ago, it is on Croatian but you will get the point.

With bumper cam the camera is 100% not in the same longitudinal position as in cockpit cam (it is moved more to the front) and there is no "side handicap" for seating position (either left or right), so complete perception of the vehicle is changing (there is no need to compensate for the left/right portion of the physical vehicle).

Also, since the actual position of the camera determines the pivot-point (despite game have 4-point independent suspension/steering there is *invisible* pivot-point for *deciding* the *spot* where the car turns in correlation to the movement) the complete sensation of physics is different among cameras.

All views uses the same physics naturally, but the position of camera determines that *pivot point*. In the end, it results with more *straightforward* steering in bumper cam (opposed to cockpit) because the *pivot-point* is moved towards the front, together with the fact how seating position (field position) is centralized and does not *suffer* from *side handicap*.

I tested this to hell and back back in Prologue days and I am really confident about the above.

// roof, bumper, cockpit cam on the drawing below //

uHcgQ.jpg

Top Bottom