• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

HOLY SHIT DAT INTRO!!!

Wow... did I see wrong or there were headlights on at Rome?

Spa looks fucking amazing... dat F10 at Eau Rouge.

Fucking awesome.

Course Maker changes btw, there's now time progression at Toscana at least!!

Mush my man, I think it's time to redo our SuperGT tracks :D

dwebo

Zaptruder said:
As it still stands - go into a race; pull up a list of cars that qualify; remember list, go to garage to find appropriate car, failing that, you'll have to go buy one from second hand or premium dealer.
[...]
Cmon PD. It's easy - we pick the race; you show us a list of cars from our garage that qualify, if none do, you show us a list of cars that we can buy from dealers that qualify. No transitioning back and forth between multiple screens.
Unless I'm misunderstanding, you've been able to go directly to your garage with already filtered eligible cars from the conditions window for awhile now. What was annoying was that it wouldn't show you over-spec cars - not sure if they've changed that now, though I doubt it.

But yeah, the UI still isn't very good. This was a perfect chance to revamp the whole thing, too.

Angst

Zaptruder said:
I didn't give it an extensive test, but as far as I can tell, there are STILL significant UI issues that hamper the flow of the game.

Primarily - loading and transition times, and the ability to get into the right car with minimal transition.

As it still stands - go into a race; pull up a list of cars that qualify; remember list, go to garage to find appropriate car, failing that, you'll have to go buy one from second hand or premium dealer.

When you've got 3-5 second load times between each screen, and about 5-6 screens to transition between, on top of the sifting through poorly laid out (albeit attractive menu screens), you're wasting 3-5 minutes every time you transition to a new race.

Plus loading up into the first screen; you have to press X to get a cursor up - not that the screen says anything; so if you're used to the loading times as this game conditions you to be; you may be waiting 30 secs to a minute before you realise you need to press X.

It's not a big thing; but it is a clear indicator of how the entire UI stinks to high heaven.

Cmon PD. It's easy - we pick the race; you show us a list of cars from our garage that qualify, if none do, you show us a list of cars that we can buy from dealers that qualify. No transitioning back and forth between multiple screens.

It's a shame because the core game itself is fine; if you try to replicate racing as earnestly as these guys are, it's hard to screw up the core gameplay. But GT5 is a textbook case of screwing up a great core by bolting on a really shoddy interface.
Lol, the list you wish for has been there for a long time.

Go to race, click car icon that shows you the limitations, click garage icon and you will get a list that shows only the cars that meet the requirements. Only thing you'll miss are the cars over the reqs that can be downtuned.

Zaptruder said:
Its already does that though. Just go to the requirements and select the garage icon from that screen. You'll see a filtered list of cars from your garage. Unless you're talking about something else??

I'd love to have more options to filter the Store. Pick a race, have a similar icon to bring up filter qualifying cars in the storefront, or just add a standard filters to it (German cars, cars before 1970, etc.)

JWong

Banned
dwebo said:
Unless I'm misunderstanding, you've been able to go directly to your garage with already filtered eligible cars from the conditions window for awhile now. What was annoying was that it wouldn't show you over-spec cars - not sure if they've changed that now, though I doubt it.

But yeah, the UI still isn't very good. This was a perfect chance to revamp the whole thing, too.
I'm still updating, but I wanted to respond with the same thing when I was sure.

I never had to get back out to the main menu to select a qualifying car.

jabuseika

Is it just me, or does the GT-R N24 have insane amounts of grip?

It was definitely built to tear the Nurburgring a new one.

Zaptruder

Banned
Ok. Looks like I missed the garage icon.

Step in the right direction, but not quite there yet.

Still a few too many screens to navigate between a slow ass interface (sorts by premium and standard) - and if your car isn't right (e.g. eligible, but 50hp behind the rest of the pack) the process of getting it right or buying another car is as painful as I describe.

Ideally, it would offer up the option to rent a car for the event; reduced earnings (due to paying rental), no reimbursements for losing and small or no choice of car would make it a reasonable feature that still gives incentive to purchasing cars.

Dead Man

No multi select in used car dealer still :( Love the new setups tabs, but I wish they had made the engine tuning and weight stuff selectable between the setups. You still need to have multiple cars to have different setup weights.

I'm glad for the changes they have made, but it is still a long way from what I hoped for and expected when I bought it. Oh well, enough bitterness from me, bring on the DLC.

Shaneus said:
May have already been answered... has the 20mil limit been removed?
No, add it to the list of shit that hasn't been fixed.

MGR

New intro is outstanding. The first car DLC pack is fine. It's the first of more to come and given PD's history with the OCD the car packs will probably follow a theme of some sort.

cutmeamango said:
I just noticed in the opening video, there was Rome and the cars with headlights on, in what appears to be a sunset. Just for the montage orrrr?

There's footage of the Top Gear track at dusk with vehicle headlights too, even in the early video before GT5's launch. So I wouldn't make too much of that.

Shaneus

Dead Man said:
No, add it to the list of shit that hasn't been fixed.
Surely that would have to be one of the most obvious AND easiest things to fix and it's still there. Maybe there'll be some DLC to remove it. I fired up GT5 for the first time in ages the other day to get the X2010 and shoot for the 5mil in the seasonal, but realised it would've been completely worthless and then went on my way to spending 5 million on cars so I could actually keep some decent coin.

jabuseika

On the new intro video, my face when I saw the F10 on Spa...

ijuwCciM6ftPn.gif

magawolaz

So, I have 15M Cr...

Should I take the Miura or wait for the Le Mans Ferrari/Ford (I already have the Jag)?

Also, what's the best race for experience?

Angst

magawolaz said:
So, I have 15M Cr...

Should I take the Miura or wait for the Le Mans Ferrari/Ford (I already have the Jag)?

The Ferrari 330 and the Ford are both awesome. Perhaps the best sounding cars in the game.

tusken77

Ahhhhhhhh, waking up to so much gooood stuff! I haven't upgraded to 2.0 yet but by catching up from page 4 in this thread, it sounds like Kaz has delivered big time. Oh, and the new intro is outfuckingstanding.

dwebo

UnluckyKate said:
Can someone explode to me the new cars from the update and the new ones from the DLC ?
http://us.gran-turismo.com/local/us/data1/products/gt5/carlist_en.html
It's been updated with what's new. DLC is explained here, with car pack here (with pics).

magawolaz said:
Most recent Ferrari seasonal has a one lap race at le mans that takes about 3:30 and nets 500k credits / 40k xp (not sure if base values are the same with the multiplier now). Plus you get a helmet each win.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
magawolaz said:
So, I have 15M Cr...

You should have done the birthday trick earlier. :p No way I'm spending 15 mil for it. :(

tusken77

UnluckyKate said:
Can someone explode to me the new cars from the update and the new ones from the DLC ?

I think a lot of people here are exploding. The mere mention of Spa was enough to do it. :D

magawolaz

Meisadragon said:
You should have done the birthday trick earlier. :p No way I'm spending 15 mil for it. :(
I'm not a cheater :p

Tell me about this trick

dwebo said:
Most recent Ferrari seasonal has a one lap race at le mans that takes about 3:30 and nets 500k credits / 40k xp (not sure if base values are the same with the multiplier now). Plus you get a helmet each win.
There's no more triple Cr./xp :(

SmokyDave

Really pleased with the cockpit view on standards. It works awesomely in GT: PSP and it's exactly what I wanted to see in GT5. There's enough to this update to get me back into the game, easily.

Angst

Everybody is welcome to join me in the NRL lounge tonight from 19.15 CET (ish). We'll do short races and test the new lounge settings.

If you haven't raced with us before but want to do some quick races, please send a FR to GT5NRL before 19.00 CET tonight. We will then meet up in the GT5NRL lounge.

Lounge will be up for a couple of hours.

Angst

magawolaz said:
I'm not a cheater :p

Tell me about this trick

There's no more triple Cr./xp :(
Create a second account, set birth date to 1967 and day to today. Log in with that account, get car (if not, delete game data and log on again). Gift car to main account.

Doesn't work anymore though as you can't gift cars that expensive :/

tusken77 said:
I think a lot of people here are exploding. The mere mention of Spa was enough to do it. :D

Wow, 1 new GTR with the update and 1 more with DLC, along with 3 more Skylines ? Kaz is trolling hard

Angst said:
Everybody is welcome to join me in the NRL lounge tonight from 19.15 CET (ish). We'll do short races and test the new lounge settings.

If you haven't raced with us before but want to do some quick races, please send a FR to GT5NRL before 19.00 CET tonight. We will then meet up in the GT5NRL lounge.

Lounge will be up for a couple of hours.

Hell yeah, screw Dark Souls haha.

I'm loving the new HDR effect on the photo mode :)

But it seems that either online or old replays can't be FF or Rewinded :((?

6for8

magawolaz said:
So, I have 15M Cr...

Ferrari La Sarthe Seasonal with 170% boost - 285,600cr and 24,480exp, about 3min20sec.

Sent you a PM that will get all the cars you desire if you don't mind adding an extreme cheater to you friends list.

TTG

Mush said:

Looks like I'll just be getting the tracks then, I don't really have a burning need for some RMs or the x11... unless I can use that x11 to easily gold the Vettel Challenge... :( I'm sure some brand new models will follow.

In other news, driving the old Le Mans cars just got more awesome. A lot of them have open cockpits, so they're great. Currently enjoying the BMW V12 around Laguna.

Top Bottom