• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

CozMick

Banned
Downloaded the entire update in 6 minutes on a 50mb line :p

I've noticed the tearing is massively reduced for the London track, checking out the others now.

Also, how do you save during an Endurance race? pitting in?

Syn23

gogogow said:
I thought the 11 Nascar cars were new models? They aren't?

They are different models.
You can clearly see that the front bumper/spoiler is different (and maybe there's something else).

tusken77

Sleeplessnights said:
I watched the intro....

KBhtD.gif

Soooo good.

Xun

I was expecting more to be honest.

I'm sure when I get into it more I'll notice more changes, but so far it's a bit of a let down.

Also I really hoped they'd sort out the flawed paint system. It sucks.

Cigol

tusken77 said:
A sweet feature for sure. Also, I like how he says Polly-fony.
Are we sure this is a graphical option and not the more logical option of changing the weather conditions at the start of a race. Water collects on a track, so if it hasn't been raining to begin with surface water will be 0%, but lets say it was raining earlier and has since stopped there will still be residual water on the track. The more it rains the higher the amount of surface water. There's obviously more to it than that, but generally speaking anyway. So I would interpret it as a weather option not a graphical option? Unless I'm wrong and it's proven to be graphical only, I've not tried it yet.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Xun said:

I'm sure when I get into it more I'll notice more changes, but so far it's a bit of a let down.

You don't care about all the driving improvements? I mean it is a racing sim.

Xun said:

Watch the new intro, you'll forget about everything.

UnluckyKate said:
So Spec II brings 11 Nascars cars and Kaz's GTR ? That's 12 paint jobs...

Wow, that is sad. Were people requesting more Nascar cars? Out of all the things fans would want I would have thought that would be way, way down the list.

CozMick

Banned
Kenshin001 said:
Wow, that is sad. Were people requesting more Nascar cars? Out of all the things fans would want I would have thought that would be way, way down the list.

Atmospheric priority: SPA!

Top priority: cockpit for standard cars.

Medium priority: Loading times reduced.

Low priority: UI tweaks, more set-up options.

Meaningless priority: NASCAR

Cigol

Kenshin001 said:
Which is why they are free. Expect the cars everyone wants to be in the various DLC packs that will be coming after the biggie; Spa.

Angst

CozMick said:
Atmospheric priority: SPA!

Top priority: cockpit for standard cars.

Medium priority: Loading times reduced.

Low priority: UI tweaks, more set-up options.

Meaningless priority: NASCAR
NASCAR combined with the reduced slipstream is actually interesting and there will probably be an NRL event on those lines later.

Speaking of NASCAR, where is seattle6418? Did Spec 2.0 make him implode?
The Stealth Fox said:
Kaz's GTR is a paint job?!
I haven't seen it yet, but I presume it's not. Cockpit should be modified etc.

Polyphony

The 11 Nascar cars are new models. They were probably modified from the 2010 models, instead of being remodeled from scratch, but they are a bit more than mere skins.

The same goes for the Kazmobile. Body work has been applied, and the cockpit view is completely different.

This didn't cost a cent, so I don't know why there are complaints :).

CozMick

Banned
Polyphony said:
The 11 Nascar cars are new models. They were probably modified from the 2010 models, instead of being remodeled from scratch, but they are a bit more than mere skins.

The same goes for the Kazmobile. Body work has been applied, and the cockpit view is completely different.

This didn't cost a cent, so I don't know why there are complaints :).

Oh, no complaints from me, all new content is welcomed content. :D

I really can't imagine how good Spa will be racing online, that shit will be epic.

Angst

Radec said:
Baffles me why the heck PD won't include this location on photo mode!

image01.jpg

come on kaz! :)
Hotlinking to Gt.com doesn't work, but I presume it's a pic of the wind tunnel?

Edit - I see you fixed it. It looks boring in that pic, but other pics make it look pretty cool.

Xun

LiquidMetal14 said:
You don't care about all the driving improvements? I mean it is a racing sim.
Haven't properly noticed them yet.

Sleeplessnights said:
Watch the new intro, you'll forget about everything.
Loved the new intro, but I almost expected the whole game to feel fresh.

I think I just overhyped Spec II a bit too much.

Quick question: I hear people talk about the new intro. I have an unopened copy of GT5. If I install the latest update right away do I lose the old intro forever?

hirokazu said:
Apparently, the shadows on the ground also don't alias as much, but I guess that may depend on the track and angle and may just be placebo. The self shadowing on cars is still messed though.
I do know the dynamic time of day is what apparently caused them to make the shadows aliased in the final game versus the Prologue as well as the weather effects... so I could believe that turning that feature off would restore the look of how everything was in Prologue. Which is nice. I'll definitely check out GT5 tonight alongside Forza 4.

DancingCactus77 said:
Quick question: I hear people talk about the new intro. I have an unopened copy of GT5. If I install the latest update right away do I lose the old intro forever?

No, it'll stay in your GTTV folder.

DancingCactus77 said:
I hope you do. The music was terrible.

CozMick

Banned
DancingCactus77 said:

First you have to download the new intro from GTTV, then it becomes the intro forever but you still get to view the old intro via GTTV whenever you like :)

Watching the new intro on youtube (or at least what I believe is the new intro). They should've scrapped the whole car factory thing. Its nice to see once but its quite boring.

some people on GTP are reporting standing starts on the TGTT.

not in free drive so maybe its only for time trial and races?

someone check.

Ravage

Love the new intro. Most excited about the new tracks, but i'm probably going to buy every single one of those DLCs anyway.

offshore said:
No it wasn't. I've been over this with you before MM...

2007 - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7059887.stm

2010 - www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/gran-turismo-5-first-official-trailer-top-gear-2010-06-15

And then all of a sudden, Top Gear change their tune completely and suddenly Forza becomes their favourite game.

Now sure, they take MS' money to pimp Forza. But Sony should have already had contracts in place that preclude someone coming in and dictating to them what they can and cannot do.

This is Sony's fault. I don't know why there's a debate about it. If Sony had have done their job, we might have had deeper TG integration GT5.

Fine I was wrong, but still, as I said before, why all the hate towards EA with the Porsche license then? They're not the ones to blame according to your logic.

UnluckyKate said:
No idea. Not much difference to me considering my total indifference for it.

About Top Gear (I don't own the game), I though the AMG driving school was on the Test Track ? It isn't ? is it anywhere in the game ?

AMG Driving school is in the Ring. It was never supposed to be on the TGTT. The TGTT is still in the game though.

The first DLC car pack is a nice start. The RM cars are fun to drive and completely change the car. Also, they all have unique RM interiors. Pretty excited to get all of those. Things are looking good. Come on Super GT megaton DLC pack.

BTW if anyone hasn't seen it yet, this is how the Veyron cockpit looks in the 2.0 update:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7T2qjYqGM

Still not a premium car which is ridiculous. Kinda a very Japanese thing to do by ignoring such a beast of a car. But this also shows why Top Gear was never really a good fit with GT5 either. Top Gear loves the Veyron.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Loudninja said:
I seen people report less tearing better shadows,not sure if its placebo or not really hard to tell this early.
I haven't noticed any tearing yet, maybe a little bit but it's surely reduced. Shadows are definitely better than before.

Melfice7

chubigans said:
The new Karts have headlights!

TO THE NURBURGRING!

Pfft amateur, i took the current karts to the 'ring 24h and raced like a man

and died once it was pitch black :D

Hanmik

went to gtplanet to check up on photos or something interesting.. took me like 5 seconds to exit that site.. what a big clusterfuck.. the design of the forum is worse than GT5´s UI..

paskowitz

Hanmik said:
went to gtplanet to check up on photos or something interesting.. took me like 5 seconds to exit that site.. what a big clusterfuck.. the design of the forum is worse than GT5´s UI..

What are you smoking?

Duffyside

Banned
So has the custom soundtrack support been changed at all? I remember at release really disliking the way it worked. I think after every race it shut off and you'd have to go restart it again.

Top Bottom