• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Toxa

hard tyres issue is not corrected :(

anyway can't wait

SPA_Francorchamps_track_by_arthobald.jpg

Goldrusher

Is it me or do cars get much dirtier ?

My FGT looks like it spent a couple decades in an old dusty old barn.
It should be bright, dark blue. Half of the car is now gray. Literally gray. The rear wing is almost white.

amar212

Goldrusher said:
Is it me or do cars get much dirtier ?

My FGT looks like it spent a couple decades in an old dusty old barn.
It should be bright, dark blue. Half of the car is now gray. Literally gray. The rear wing is almost white.

Yes, dirt effect is now much more pronounced.

fu3lfr3nzy said:
Poor Mark Webber :lol

Even a retired F1 driver makes a helmet cameo in the game

He doesn't need a trailer cameo. He's got a game about him in the makes!

Mush said:
That's what I thought. If someone could make a gif of that part it'd be much appreciated (it's when X2010's line up and roll out with their lights on).

If no one makes the gif about it, I'll do it when I'm home.

Heh, my Ford GT now lifts at one point on La Sarthe, before the first straight chicane, right before the braking point.

Over more than 15 laps pre-Spec II, that never happened.

offshore

It seems strange that I'm prepared to pay real, actual money for paint chips...but those chrome colours look seriously cool.

How is it going to work though? You pay £1.59 for paint chips, you use the chip once and then what? Is the chip gone forever? Do you have to re-download the pack if you want to use those colours again? What's going on?

I don't understand why they can't just make paint chip usage unlimited. So dumb.

Mush said:
That's what I thought. If someone could make a gif of that part it'd be much appreciated (it's when X2010's line up and roll out with their lights on).

ibeZKzaupgSDSk.gif

And a bonus gif because I love the intro so much.

ibjSdg1UfUWUuW.gif

Ainaurdur

offshore said:
It seems strange that I'm prepared to pay real, actual money for paint chips...but those chrome colours look seriously cool.

How is it going to work though? You pay £1.59 for paint chips, you use the chip once and then what? Is the chip gone forever? Do you have to re-download the pack if you want to use those colours again? What's going on?

I don't understand why they can't just make paint chip usage unlimited. So dumb.
Or why not at least let us buy paint with the in-game credits.

Toxa said:
hard tyres issue is not corrected :(

This really sucks. The hard tires do last longer a little longer than softs, but you have to drive so incredibly slow with them it negates any advantage. GT5 seems to model tire degradation when traction is lost or you are sliding. Since the hard tires are much less grippy, you get a lot of lateral movement and they burnout at a rate near the softs if you drive fast on them. Since the softs have so much more grip you don't slide as much and the game models that as less degradation. Clearly the softs are creating the extra grip through a compound that degrades faster regardless of sliding. GT5 doesn't view it this way. The tire compounds are more like handling characteristics than actual tires. This makes pit stops and tire choice meaningless in long races or endurance races. Always go with the softer tire.

For the lost of speed with the hard tires to balance with the softs, I think they need to last almost double of what they are now. Lets start tweeting Kaz.

Risk Breaker said:
Heh, my Ford GT now lifts at one point on La Sarthe, before the first straight chicane, right before the braking point.

Over more than 15 laps pre-Spec II, that never happened.

I was driving the Formula GT last night in the seasonals and the downforce felt different. Prior to the update when I would get loose with the FGT it would result in instant snap oversteer when I tried to correct a slide. The car seems to move a little more and the front downforce a more balanced and toned down. Could be placebo but I remember using ASM at one point in spec 1.0 because I was so frustrated with the FGT spinning. The FGT felt much better on spec 2.0. (same default settings on the car)

Ainaurdur said:
Or why not at least let us buy paint with the in-game credits.

This times a fucking billion.

amar212

gutterboy44 said:
The tire compounds are more like handling characteristics than actual tires. This makes pit stops and tire choice meaningless in long races or endurance races. Always go with the softer tire.

For the lost of speed with the hard tires to balance with the softs, I think they need to last almost double of what they are now.

I can agree about this point when it is looked from the lens of tire choice.

Some incredible testing done by guys at GTPlanet revealed how particular compound adds approx. 0.6 grip per higher compound used.

Which I have no problem with handling-side- everything feels accurate and the is the main grip here - but longevity should be calculated separately because of reasons you have described.

Why can't I launch Gt5 after this patch!! I tried on 2 different accounts so it is not a save game issue. Also I tried deleting my install data and starting from scratch. No go!

Gynoug79

Game was already great but now its sooooooooooo great i almost couldnt get off it last night ! Two things i am wondering about: Was the DLC or part of it already in the update ? New Go Karts are playable in Arcade Mode and to me it seem that it was just way too big compared to what PD already changed in the game with smaller updates. I imagine they put atleast the DLC Cars/Colours/Suits in the update so people who dont buy the DLC still can see them online ( Black VW Bora anyone ? ). Another thing i noticed is that all the standart cars have a new default tune. For example before the update every car had rear toe of 0.20 and 0 on the front iirc, thats changed now i believe. But there seems to be a little bug as it changes back to the old before update defaults when you reset the setup...
can anyone confirm this ?

DEO3

I can't remember, is there a way to have multiple GT Mode profiles?

I beat this game (for lack of a better phrase) after a couple of months last year, earning a gold in.. well, everything. It was a hell of a couple of months, with blood, sweat, and tears involved, but at the end of the day, unless I can start a new profile, there's simply nothing left for me to achieve.

V_Ben

Banned
So, can somebody tell me what's new with the UI and menus? Because that's all I want to know about the improvements :D Like, are they more intuitive? Snappier? On fire?

PuppetMaster said:
Why can't I launch Gt5 after this patch!! I tried on 2 different accounts so it is not a save game issue. Also I tried deleting my install data and starting from scratch. No go!

Back up save data and delete it. If it works your save is currupt.

V_Ben said:
So, can somebody tell me what's new with the UI and menus? Because that's all I want to know about the improvements :D Like, are they more intuitive? Snappier? On fire?
They're pretty much the same.

Angst

DEO3 said:
I can't remember, is there a way to have multiple GT Mode profiles?

I beat this game (for lack of a better phrase) after a couple of months last year, earning a gold in.. well, everything. It was a hell of a couple of months, with blood, sweat, and tears involved, but at the end of the day, unless I can start a new profile, there's simply nothing left for me to achieve.
Log on to your PS3 with a new user or delete your game save.

Or do the sensible thing and start racing online with GAF

rabhw

Hey guys,

Can anyone comment on how much the UI has been improved? In terms of how it flows, are you still having to go back 5 or 6 levels of menus before you can change something? How are the loading times between menus, etc.

Basically, does the UI make sense now? Or is it still basically the same with some small tweaks. I literally stopped playing solely because the menus were so tedious to trudge through.

Angst

phosphor112 said:
What exactly is wrong with the hard tires? I hear about it, but don't really know whats up.
They last perhaps 10 % longer than the softs, but gives you less than 90 % of the grip of the softs. Hence there never is any valid reason to use them.

Unless the host forces you to use hards - which I like to do just to piss off toxa. :)

rabhw said:
Hey guys,

Can anyone comment on how much the UI has been improved? In terms of how it flows, are you still having to go back 5 or 6 levels of menus before you can change something? How are the loading times between menus, etc.

Basically, does the UI make sense now? Or is it still basically the same with some small tweaks. I literally stopped playing solely because the menus were so tedious to trudge through.
It depends on what you're comparing too. If you're comparing with how it worked at release it has improved a lot. Menus are the same, but they've added shortcuts, you can buy upgrades in the settings menu (online too) and you can get a list of cars that qualify for a certain race now.

Track loading is really fast now as well.

gogogow

Metalmurphy said:
They're pretty much the same.
Since the release a lot of people has had problems with the interface, which I understand why. Personally, I don't have much problems with it, though they could add more shortcuts. Also the UI would have been much more user-friendly if the analog stick would work like a mouse. I thought the cursor worked like that in GT4 if you used the stick? Or am I remembering it wrong?

ssolitare said:
Buying paint chips is a great idea. Though I do wonder if PD would listen to requests, it sounds like a low priority type of thing.

Based on the gambit of issues already patched, no issue is too big or too small for PD to address. We have everything from pretty helmet colors to massive game changing updates.

Angst said:
They last perhaps 10 % longer than the softs, but gives you less than 90 % of the grip of the softs. Hence there never is any valid reason to use them.

Unless the host forces you to use hards - which I like to do just to piss off toxa. :)

Racing on Sport Hards with older model cars is one of the best racing experiences available. Driving a Lancia Stratos Rally car with Sport Hards around Rome is mesmerizing. I also recommend the Ginetta G4. Take them to the Super Car Nostalgia Cup Seasonal.

Angst

gogogow said:
Since the release a lot of people has had problems with the interface, which I understand why. Personally, I don't have much problems with it, though they could add more shortcuts. Also the UI would have been much more user-friendly if the analog stick would work like a mouse. I thought the cursor worked like that in GT4 if you used the stick? Or am I remembering it wrong?
You're remembering it wrong. GT4 had a mouse-like pointer, but it didn't work like a mouse.

rabhw

Angst said:
It depends on what you're comparing too. If you're comparing with how it worked at release it has improved a lot. Menus are the same, but they've added shortcuts, you can buy upgrades in the settings menu (online too) and you can get a list of cars that qualify for a certain race now.

Track loading is really fast now as well.

Yeah, that's the sort of stuff I mean, shortcuts to important menus without having to go back so many levels to get to something that should always be accessible.

Woooo, now I'm excited to play again, gotta get my wheel desk back heh.

Angst

gutterboy44 said:
Racing on Sport Hards with older model cars is one of the best racing experiences available. Driving a Lancia Stratos Rally car with Sport Hards around Rome is mesmerizing. I also recommend the Ginetta G4. Take them to the Super Car Nostalgia Cup Seasonal.
Yep, I really like using them too. In GT4 I almost only used RS tyres and did the same when GT5 was released. I've sinced moved on to harder compounds and it makes the game much better IMO.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Angst, Murphy, Mush and the others: I'd love to join in the online fun, but I need to ask a couple of questions:

1) is voice chat required? If it isn't, is voice chat on during races as well or only in the lobby (I think races should be smoother without voice chat)?

2) I'd need to do a lag test with you guys before committing on a league. My problem is not the bandwith, which with 7Mbps should be more than enough, but with latency. From Italy and on wifi plus it's heavily dependable on traffic (time of the day). I find that it also depends a lot on the game's netcode (not talking about inherently bad ones), since my online is perfect on Motorstorm Apocalypse and Mario Kart Wii, good on Killzone 3 and MW2 but awful (most of the times) with Forza 3's matchmaking (although at the time I was on a 3.5Mbps line). Far from me wanting to ruin your races (and not have fun myself), I'd love to have a go at online racing with the bunch of you first and then you guys could let me know how it went and if I'm allowed to join the league or not.

Is there a way we could arrange this? :)

Btw, my PSN profile is dashkap.

P.S.
Maybe I should crosspost this in the NRL thread?

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Angst, Murphy, Mush and the others: I'd love to join in the online fun, but I need to ask a couple of questions:

1) is voice chat required? If it isn't, is voice chat on during races as well or only in the lobby (I think races should be smoother without voice chat)?

2) I'd need to do a lag test with you guys before committing on a league. My problem is not the bandwith, which with 7Mbps should be more than enough, but with latency. From Italy and on wifi plus it's heavily dependable on traffic (time of the day). I find that it also depends a lot on the game's netcode (not talking about inherently bad ones), since my online is perfect on Motorstorm Apocalypse and Mario Kart Wii, good on Killzone 3 and MW2 but awful (most of the times) with Forza 3's matchmaking (although at the time I was on a 3.5Mbps line). Far from me wanting to ruin your races (and not have fun myself), I'd love to have a go at online racing with the bunch of you first and then you guys could let me know how it went and if I'm allowed to join the league or not.

Is there a way we could arrange this? :)

Btw, my PSN profile is dashkap.

P.S.
Maybe I should crosspost this in the NRL thread?
1. No voice chat. We got tired of listening to people coughing in the PS Eye. Although I'm starting to reconsider this, it would sometimes be helpful to talk to people during the races. Maybe the 2 hours endurance race at Le Sarthe would have been more bearable with some small talk?
2. You shouldn't have any issues with lag. We've raced with people from EU, Australia/NZ, US and South America without any big issues. Join us tonight in the open lobby and we'll see how it goes.

I'll post the room # here at ~19.00 CET today.

Might have found some weird glitch or something.

My PS3 died this weekend so I had to restart my GT5 game from scratch on a new 320gb model. I got my new B-spec driver to like level 2 then did a remote race or two from my PC. This morning when I went to receive his prizes he went up to level 14. That's quite a jump, and checking the logs it's not like a zillion people raced him in the middle of the night or something.

My B-spec rating didn't move up though, but somehow he's racing at a 14 level guy. Really weird.

Prior to losing my original save, I had a full set of drivers, and I think the highest level one was around the 14 range. Very strange.

So sad you cant keep playing the Red Bull x2010 seasonal over and over again, still, i had a blast with it, it was my first time driving it and it blew my head off.

I then took it to the Professional Championships and it was like cheating, i think i will wait for the Furai to appear in the used store and use that instead, or if someone here wants to gift it to me, wink wink :)

zephervack said:
So sad you cant keep playing the Red Bull x2010 seasonal over and over again, still, i had a blast with it, it was my first time driving it and it blew my head off.

I then took it to the Professional Championships and it was like cheating, i think i will wait for the Furai to appear in the used store and use that instead, or if someone here wants to gift it to me, wink wink :)
Get your B-Spec Bob a tuned '07 Miata, let him race the NR-A cup and you'll win the Furai.

Angst said:
1. No voice chat. We got tired of listening to people coughing in the PS Eye. Although I'm starting to reconsider this, it would sometimes be helpful to talk to people during the races. Maybe the 2 hours endurance race at Le Sarthe would have been more bearable with some small talk?

Don't reconsider.

1. It uses more bandwidth, reduces room connection quality
2. *cough*cough*fart*littlekids yelling*etc

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Don't reconsider.

1. yes, I know
2. well, I think it should be better without any randoms joining. But who knows, perhaps we'll find out that Toxa's cockpit is set up in one of the biggest French mental asylums? :D

Pctx

Banned
So I seriously haven't touched GT5 maybe.... 6 or 7 times.... I played 1 race today.... WOW! Improvements ahoy! This game loads fast, looks even more amazing and the physics improvement on the car (that I drove) feel solid. This game now deserves more of my time. Way to go PD!

brotkasten said:
Get your B-Spec Bob a tuned '07 Miata, let him race the NR-A cup and you'll win the Furai.

Thanks did not know that, i will do it just for the Furai, i really dont have the time to play b spec, its such a weird game mode.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Metalmurphy said:
Don't reconsider.

Agree (although my vote doesn't count ahaha).

So, which car do I need to buy to join tonight Angst?

Gynoug79

I guess you dont need much but make sure to bring a Caterham Fireblade Dash ;)
they are on the OCD right now...

edit: god i am slooow today

Polyphony

torontoml said:
I just want to make sure that when i buy the DLC cars I will own them, and not have to buy them with credits?

I believe so! There was a screenshot showing all the DLC cars are redeemable prize tickets, so I assume these are given to you after purchase of the DLC.

tusken77

Gynoug79 said:
I guess you dont need much but make sure to bring a Caterham Fireblade Dash ;)
they are on the OCD right now...

edit: god i am slooow today

1. With all these pics of you guys racing the Caterham, I hopped in mine and went for a spin to check out the interior view for myself. I'm normally a bumper guy but I'm VERY impressed with what they've done here. Very nice indeed.

2. You've got a cool name.

Ravage

Pctx said:
So I seriously haven't touched GT5 maybe.... 6 or 7 times.... I played 1 race today.... WOW! Improvements ahoy! This game loads fast, looks even more amazing and the physics improvement on the car (that I drove) feel solid. This game now deserves more of my time. Way to go PD!

I do play it from time to time but i still had the exact same reaction you did. Can't wait to download Spa whenever it's coming out.

amar212

Polyphony said:
I believe so! There was a screenshot showing all the DLC cars are redeemable prize tickets, so I assume these are given to you after purchase of the DLC.

This. Same as for Stealth and Chrome models.

Top Bottom