• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

I hope PD eventually add in a way to change the time of day on normal tracks like cape ring or the TGTT and suzuka.

Not full Day/Night stuff but just time of day like Morning, afternoon and dusk.

It would help change things up a bit. Plus Morning and dusk look so damn good in this game they should be a option when ever possible.

spats

funkystudent said:
I hope PD eventually add in a way to change the time of day on normal tracks like cape ring or the TGTT and suzuka.

It would help change things up a bit. Plus Morning and dusk look so damn good in this game they should be a option when ever possible.

I'd love that.

Two thing I still really want to see:

-Wind noise. Going down the straight on the Ring was a rush in GT4 because it was so damn loud with the wind. GT5 is whisper quiet by comparison.

-Ability to skip between music tracks. Really annoying that it just goes to the next one when you restart a race :\

I thought the reason tracks like Suzuka won't get an day to night cycle because you can't race there at night? Not enough lights maybe?

In saying that, Le Mans and Nordschleife is as dark as it can get.

-Amon-

funkystudent said:

Good idea, apparently doable without many problems too.

Angst

Angst said:
GAF Lounge is up:

1472 - 6399 - 8408 - 2430 - 2289

If you're on my FL you can just enter via my coffee cup of course.

Bring your Caterham :D

We will of course do other events as well.

Sleeplessnights said:
I thought the reason tracks like Suzuka won't get an day to night cycle because you can't race there at night? Not enough lights maybe?

In saying that, Le Mans and Nordschleife is as dark as it can get.

That was my theory, but not because it's too dark or anything, but because Kaz likes authenticity. Of no one races at night on a track, then he won't allow night racing.

Pure speculation I know, but it's how I see it.

Watevaman

Angst said:

Gonna join when I can.

Metalmurphy said:
That was my theory, but not because it's too dark or anything, but because Kaz likes authenticity. Of no one races at night on a track, then he won't allow night racing.

Pure speculation I know, but it's how I see it.

I think it gets dark when SuperGT does their enduro on Suzuka, so that's probably not the case.

Niks

Now that we have fast forward and rewind on replays, we have to push for a export to youtube option.

Is it even possible?

jabuseika

Angst said:
I'll post the room # here at ~19.00 CET today.

I really want to join you guys some time, and show off my mad DS3 skill. :p

But that's too early for me, 10am, I'm stuck in the middle of class around that time.

Do you guys do weekends?

Also, definitely the downforce on the FormulaGT is different.
I did the new seasonal 2 laps around Nurburgring last night without spinning out once, and with all assists off, on the DS3. Something that was pretty much impossible before.

-Amon- said:
Good idea, apparently doable without many problems too.

Someone should tweet kaz about it. You never know. that could make its way into GT6.

I think Forza 4 does something similar on a few tracks but they just switch sky boxes and dont have real time day/night transitions like GT5.

How does suspend race works, i tried to go in the pit of a 10 lap race and my car just went through really slow and did nothing, dont tell me its just when you are OUTSIDE a race, what is that good for then?

spats

Niks said:
Now that we have fast forward and rewind on replays, we have to push for a export to youtube option.

Is it even possible?

It was supposed to be included at one point in time. :I They propably hit a hard memory cap and had to slash the feature.

GT5-Youtube-Replays-slide.jpg

However after seeing the crazy optimization they did with Spec 2 I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared at some point.

I mean they cut the load times from like 15 seconds to 3 seconds.

offshore

Sleeplessnights said:
Don't know about Suzuka, but they race at Spa at night IRL, so it's a bit sad that Spa won't support day/night cycle. But we got rain, so that will do.

Wax Free Vanilla said:
i signed up to twitter and sent him a message yesterday, and still no reply to my question... wanker!
You, er, didn't use language like that in your message, did you Wax? :lol

Niks said:

Is it even possible?

Of course it's possible. The game would be required to render a race and record it as a video.

dwebo

Even if lack of real lights was the issue, they could've just limited the time of day to 6am to 6pm like they do with a few of the course creator areas. It's a technical limitation, undoubtedly, and it's pretty damn disappointing that spa, or any additional tracks in this update, won't have it. I'd rather have that than rain, honestly, though I'm probably in the minority.

Angst

jabuseika said:
I really want to join you guys some time, and show off my mad DS3 skill. :p

But that's too early for me, 10am, I'm stuck in the middle of class around that time.

Do you guys do weekends?

Also, definitely the downforce on the FormulaGT is different.
I did the new seasonal 2 laps around Nurburgring last night without spinning out once, and with all assists off, on the DS3. Something that was pretty much impossible before.
We definitely do weekends - that's our normal race time, we're just going a bit crazy now :p
Check: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31754018#post31754018 and sign up

spats said:
However after seeing the crazy optimization they did with Spec 2 I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared at some point.

I'm running a lot of B-Spec races right now and I don't see any "crazy optimization", especially not when it comes to loading. Yes, tracks load faster, but you still have to wait for the grid to load and that takes just as long as before and to be honest, I think it's even more annoying than before.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Why can't the regular replays have camera angles like the intro? Correct me if wrong, but didn't previous GT games have a replay angle that was more actiony? I mean the camera would zoom in on the car, change colour, etc

Theonik

spats said:
It was supposed to be included at one point in time. :I They propably hit a hard memory cap and had to slash the feature.

GT5-Youtube-Replays-slide.jpg

Hopefully we get a replay editor sometime in the future you can direct replays and edit them into videos with some extra effects then you'd be able to extract them to Gran-Turismo.com and YouTube. If they could pull something like that off that feature would be killer.

tusken77

Heshinsi said:
Why can't the regular replays have camera angles like the intro? Correct me if wrong, but didn't previous GT games have a replay angle that was more actiony? I mean the camera would zoom in on the car, change colour, etc

In Arcade Mode you can zoom the camera in by pressing Triangle.

brotkasten said:
I'm running a lot of B-Spec races right now and I don't see any "crazy optimization", especially not when it comes to loading. Yes, tracks load faster, but you still have to wait for the grid to load and that takes just as long as before and to be honest, I think it's even more annoying than before.

Tracks load faster in time trials, where there is only 1 car, then it ever did before, even though it was also just 1 car. ALOT faster.

It's definitively not the same as before.

Metalmurphy said:
Tracks load faster in time trials, where there is only 1 car, then it ever did before, even though it was also just 1 car. ALOT faster.

It's definitively not the same as before.
Okay, I'll give you that one. Since we have leaderboards now, time trials are pretty important after Spec 2.0.

Jokes aside, it's still the same in the career mode and that's were it always annoyed me.

Xun

Hopefully in the future more events will be added, along with a proper reason to use the 2 Ferrari F1 cars.

Also am I the only one who'd love to see the whole paint system overhauled? It annoys me that I can't use the same paint again once I've used it once.

It just seems very backwards.

Borrowed the game from a friend to grab the X2010 before my order arrives. Holy shit! :D
Suzuka event was not too hard though, even without using my wheel. But this thing just has way too much power.

brotkasten said:
Okay, I'll give you that one. Since we have leaderboards now, time trials are pretty important after Spec 2.0.

Jokes aside, it's still the same in the career mode and that's were it always annoyed me.

Point went right over ur head... My example shows that even if you ignore the cars, the tracks alone load faster, by alot, which means loads in general will be faster.

Unless it's loading different tracks for each mode...

The Stealth Fox

brotkasten said:
Even including the grid loading, it's definitely faster. Load times used to take up to 40 seconds at times, but I haven't seen a situation where a full 16 player grid has taken longer than 20 seconds.

Metalmurphy said:
Point went right over ur head... My example shows that even if you ignore the cars, the tracks alone load faster, by alot, which means loads in general will be faster.

Unless it's loading different tracks for each mode...
I said in my post that tracks load faster, so I acknowledged that. Wasn't that clear? The point is, that it doesn't help at all, when your racing A or B-Spec. I just timed the loading of the first race of the Italian Festival event (B-Spec).

17.10 seconds for the track
34.77 seconds for the cars
07.59 seconds till the countdown

01:00.85 for everything

I appreciate that the tracks load faster, but sometimes it doesn't help, when I still have to wait for the rest to load. I'd rather read some fun facts during that time.

e: I'll time that race again, because one time isn't enough.

13 sec for the track
41 for the cars

brotkasten said:
I said in my post that tracks load faster, so I acknowledged that. Wasn't that clear? The point is, that it doesn't help at all, when your racing A or B-Spec. I just timed the loading of the first race of the Italian Festival event (B-Spec).

17.10 seconds for the track
34.77 seconds for the cars
07.59 seconds till the countdown

01:00.85 for everything

I appreciate that the tracks load faster, but sometimes it doesn't help, when I still have to wait for the rest to load. I'd rather read some fun facts during that time.

e: I'll time that race again, because one time isn't enough.

13 sec for the track
41 for the cars

Those times are pointless unless you do the same prior to Spec 2.0... They'll be longer.

"I'd rather read some fun facts during that time."

Haha. Faster loads are a bad thing now.

Metalmurphy said:
Those times are pointless unless you do the same prior to Spec II... They'll be longer.
Fine, I'll do it soon. I suck too much at the Nascar Challenges, I can't beat them with the recent ABS/ASM fix, so I'll have to delete the game data anyway.

Metalmurphy said:
"I'd rather read some fun facts during that time."

Haha. Faster loads are a bad thing now.
You didn't get my point. I'd rather have the game load everything in one chunk and read some fun facts, instead of having to wait twice.

Angst

brotkasten said:
Fine, I'll do it soon. I suck too much at the Nascar Challenges, I can't beat them with the recent ABS/ASM fix, so I'll have to delete the game data anyway.

You didn't get my point. I'd rather have the game load everything in one chunk and read some fun facts, instead of having to wait twice.
But you can start tweaking your car, something most people always do before a race. So in practicality it keeps loading while you tune your setup and that too me is a MAJOR improvement.
GAF Lounge is up:
lounge is now closed.

Racing in an open lounge can be pretty infuriating, but I think we had some fun races. M3 at the Ring was the highlight for me - almost passed Dibbz at the final corner but went wide and hit the grass. Really enjoyed the handling of the stock M3.

And @amar212: that guy in the non-Caterham that divebombed everyone and cut like crazy left at the end of the race, would have kicked him otherwise. Speaking of kicks, sorry Weekend_warrior :(

Angst said:
But you can start tweaking your car, something most people always do before a race. So in practicality it keeps loading while you tune your setup and that too me is a MAJOR improvement.
Now this is a very good point. Even though it doesn't always load the cars in the background, I'm glad when it does. My cars are usually ready, but it's nice to see that it's done, when I went to change the tires.

Dash Kappei said:
Ugh there's no room anymore? :(
Not for you!

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Ugh there's no room anymore? :(
Just closed it, sorry you missed it. I will probably do a lounge tomorrow - this time in the NRL lounge, I'm getting tired of the crazies we get with an open lounge. I'll accept your FR to the NRL now.

magawolaz

Angst said:
This. Instead of tuning your car before the race, you can do that while the track is loading.

gibration

I'm about ready to throw my ps3 and tv through the window. Trying to gold the Red Bull event but I can't control the X2010 because of my worn out analog sticks. FML!

brotkasten said:
Now this is a very good point. Even though it doesn't always load the cars in the background, I'm glad when it does. My cars are usually ready, but it's nice to see that it's done, when I went to change the tires.

Takes you 41 seconds to change tires?

Dash Kappei said:
:(

I get enough hate in the football thread, what did I do in here sob sob
Awww, come on. It was just a joke. I'd never hate on you!

Metalmurphy said:
Takes you 41 seconds to change tires?
I can be very picky when it comes to tires!

e: Or, you know, loading menus can take some time in this game.

I think I will leave this game until the weekend. will log in once a day so I can build up my reword multiplier though. :D

I wounder now they have opened the door for DLC if they will sell the stealth / chrome cars from the limited edition / pre orders.

seems like it would be easy money at 1:99 or 2:99 for each pack.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Angst said:
Just closed it, sorry you missed it. I will probably do a lounge tomorrow - this time in the NRL lounge, I'm getting tired of the crazies we get with an open lounge. I'll accept your FR to the NRL now.

Yeah, you did mention it was till 10pm so I knew I'd probably miss it... I waited till 7:30 before I had to leave for dinner, no problem of course there's no obligation :)
Oh well, guess I'll play some A-Spec tonight.

Btw, plenty of times the AI doesn't load while I'm tuning, dunno why?

36 seconds to load the first Formula GT seasonal in the High Speed Ring. 31 seconds from the moment I pressed X (before the load screen even shows up) to the moment I'm on the track.

Fix your HDD brotkasten.

And no I don't have an SSD.

Top Bottom