• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Metalmurphy said:
36 seconds to load the first Formula GT seasonal in the High Speed Ring. 31 seconds from the moment I pressed X (before the load screen even shows up) to the moment I'm on the track.

Fix your HDD brotkasten.

And no I don't have an SSD.
It's funny you say that, because my PS3 HDD crashed two weeks ago and I lost my save. It still hurts, thanks. :(

But how about you do the same race? Then I'll see if something is wrong with my new HDD or not.

patsu

spats said:
It was supposed to be included at one point in time. :I They propably hit a hard memory cap and had to slash the feature.

GT5-Youtube-Replays-slide.jpg

However after seeing the crazy optimization they did with Spec 2 I wouldn't be surprised if it appeared at some point.

I mean they cut the load times from like 15 seconds to 3 seconds.

What kind of optimization did they do in Spec 2.0 ?

brotkasten said:
It's funny you say that, because my PS3 HDD crashed two weeks ago and I lost my save. It still hurts, thanks. :(

But how about you do the same race? Then I'll see if something is wrong with my new HDD or not.

Which one was it and what car were u using?

Metalmurphy said:
Which one was it and what car were u using?
I'm doing a race right now, but I think it was:
B-Spec
Amateur Class
Italian Festival Lvl 8
Rome
Zonda R '09 (hey, I had to make sure he wins!)

e: But to be honest, I don't get why we're doing a loading contest here. I only disagreed about the "crazy optimizations" in the loading times. Nobody has to agree with me.

brotkasten said:
I'm doing a race right now, but I think it was:
B-Spec
Amateur Class
Italian Festival Lvl 8
Rome
Zonda R '09 (hey, I had to make sure he wins!)

e: But to be honest, I don't get why we're doing a loading contest here. I only disagreed about the "crazy optimizations" in the loading times. Nobody has to agree with me.

49 seconds. Track loaded in 3 freaking seconds.

brotkasten said:

Evidently :p

Metalmurphy said:
I know you doubt me, so I'm uploading to youtube right now.
The fuck? Dude, I don't care! If you say so, then so be it. All I can say is that it takes 13-15 seconds to load that track here and that's it. I've seen it loading faster than that, no doubt, just not on that track, in that race. You're my beloved nemesis, but your opinion is not that important to me, sorry. e: And to make it sound less personal, it's not just you.

Where do you guys live? I'm not even off work and you guys have done several races already. This is probably why I haven't raced with you guys before =[.

Angst

phosphor112 said:
Where do you guys live? I'm not even off work and you guys have done several races already. This is probably why I haven't raced with you guys before =[.
EU mostly. Weekend races are a bit later and lost of US peeps join those.

Cigol

brotkasten said:
The fuck? Dude, I don't care! If you say so, then so be it. All I can say is that it takes 13-15 seconds to load that track here and that's it. I've seen it loading faster than that, no doubt, just not on that track, in that race. You're my beloved nemesis, but your opinion is not that important to me, sorry.
To be fair that's what I thought of your breakdown of the loading times earlier. Didn't cross my mind that you're HDD might be a bit slow (either because it's full or on its last legs). I'd try clearing your GT5 data, see if that helps.

Cigol said:
To be fair that's what I thought of your breakdown of the loading times earlier. Didn't cross my mind that you're HDD might be a bit slow (either because it's full or on its last legs). I'd try clearing your GT5 data, see if that helps.
Yeah, why not? I just wrote down the experience I have and why I disagree with the statement about the crazy optimization. That's it. As long as nobody comes in here and says that I'm lying, it's fine. Btw, it's a new 7200 RPM HDD, with a new installation/save I created a week or two ago.

brotkasten said:
The fuck? Dude, I don't care! If you say so, then so be it. All I can say is that it takes 13-15 seconds to load that track here and that's it. I've seen it loading faster than that, no doubt, just not on that track, in that race. You're my beloved nemesis, but your opinion is not that important to me, sorry. e: And to make it sound less personal, it's not just you.

I know it's not personal. I have no beef against you brotkasten. I do like however, to back up my claims when they're contradictory to someone elses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jehtZ8aWInE

Counter even starts before the track starts loading, but it's after pressing X, since that's when we start waiting even though it's not when it starts loading.

And I just remembered, my HDD is almost full. Games tend to load faster when it has more space. Pretty sure I can improve these load times by deleting some demos.

Metalmurphy said:
I know it's not personal. I have no beef against you brotkasten. I do like however, to back up my claims when their contradictory to someone elses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jehtZ8aWInE

Counter even starts before the track starts loading, but it's after pressing X, since that's when we start waiting even though it's not when it starts loading.

And I just remembered, my HDD is almost full. Games tend to load faster when it has more space. Pretty sure I can improve these load times by deleting some demos.
Fair enough.

I just watched the video and I think we have some misunderstanding here. When I check the YouTube counter on your video, from the time where the loading screen with the load bar appears, until it's done, it takes about 10 seconds (from 0:05-0:14/0:15). That's exactly how I timed the loading.

Am I doing it wrong?

brotkasten said:
Fair enough.

I just watched the video and I think we have some misunderstanding here. When I check the YouTube counter on your video, from the time where the loading screen with the load bar appears, until it's done, it takes about 10 seconds (from 0:05-0:14/0:15). That's exactly how I timed the loading.

Am I doing it wrong?

Look at the clock. Takes 49 seconds after the "X" Chime till the cars are on the track, which was what I said and is the entire load. The load bar for the track is 7-8 seconds. Sure it's more then 3, it looked faster which was why I said 3, wasn't really paying attention to the clock at that point.

spats

whaat, you're still arguing about the load times? I'll never use the word optimization again. :(

The time it takes for me to get into an arcade time trial race is like 3-4 seconds in stead of 10-15. The grid still needs load if you're racing other cars but I much prefer being able to access options and poke around stuff while it loads in stead of having to stare at a fucking black screen for half a minute.

Angst said:
Speaking of kicks, sorry Weekend_warrior :(

That's alright. I went into the tuning section and it got hung up and wouldn't let me leave so I had to quit into the XMB, that's probably why it was showing that I wasn't loading in. That actually happened 3 times today, where it would take a minute+ to transition. Hopefully it's a problem with the patch and not my PS3. :(

The Stealth Fox

If the track load times are shorter, then so are the overall load times, since you have to load both the track and the grid in most races.

I definitely think that separating the two actions out has definitely sped things up overall.

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Is there a way to know if I've been kicked off a room or if I had a server hang up instead?
I don't know. I only kick other people :p (I do think you get a message saying you've been kicked)

2scoops

funkystudent said:
I think I will leave this game until the weekend. will log in once a day so I can build up my reword multiplier though. :D

I wounder now they have opened the door for DLC if they will sell the stealth / chrome cars from the limited edition / pre orders.

seems like it would be easy money at 1:99 or 2:99 for each pack.

That would be wonderful! I would pay good money for the stealth cars

Metalmurphy said:
Look at the clock. Takes 49 seconds after the "X" Chime till the cars are on the track, which was what I said and is the entire load. The load bar for the track is 7-8 seconds. Sure it's more then 3, it looked faster which was why I said 3, wasn't really paying attention to the clock at that point.
It was just the 3 seconds part that irritated me. ;)

But to end this discussion, I loaded that 12 lap Monza B-Spec race and the track took about 5 seconds to load. The logo and bar appeared, loaded for a sec and it was done.

I know this will get people irate in whichever thread I post this in, but:

Forza 4 vs Gran Turismo 5 post update? I'm in the mood for a driving sim and didn't play as much Forza 3 as I would've liked to back at launch. Which would you recommend? Either one will be played with a 360/PS3 controller.

Toxa

the Sub race at Nuburgring was great.

the first few kilometers were chaotic but later the battle between Goldrusher, Ashk and Myself was awesome

29958024hduNrburgring25.jpg

94596324hduNrburgring26.jpg

31785824hduNrburgring27.jpg

38595124hduNrburgring28.jpg

I cry for niks behind me

11904124hduNrburgring29.jpg

80504724hduNrburgring30.jpg

54436624hduNrburgring31.jpg

Wazzim

Banned
Does anyone know if they are even considering bringing the youtube feature? The folks at PD just got silent about it like it's nothing.

bluedeviltron said:
I know this will get people irate in whichever thread I post this in, but:

Forza 4 vs Gran Turismo 5 post update? I'm in the mood for a driving sim and didn't play as much Forza 3 as I would've liked to back at launch. Which would you recommend? Either one will be played with a 360/PS3 controller.
There is a specific thread for such discussion, just search 'Forza 4 vs. Gran Turismo 5' in the google search bar on the site.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Angst said:
I don't know. I only kick other people :p (I do think you get a message saying you've been kicked)
Eheh.
It did say "you've been disconnected from the server" tho, maybe it says something different when kicking's involved

brentech

Wazzim said:
Does anyone know if they are even considering bringing the youtube feature? The folks at PD just got silent about it like it's nothing.
Pretty sure that's long been abolished due to the upload and compression times with youtube.

patsu

brentech said:
Pretty sure that's long been abolished due to the upload and compression times with youtube.

If they already have in-game replay. It's a matter of doing the compression and upload as a separate step. It should be pretty quick, depending on your upload link speed.

patsu said:
If they already have in-game replay. It's a matter of doing the compression and upload as a separate step. It should be pretty quick, depending on your upload link speed.
Or just a export to xmb button

The ps3 has a seporate video thing that can do the upload

patsu said:

Recording, compression and upload. They can't compress directly from real time

patsu

Yap... as long as they don't promise live upload or broadcast, it should be fine. Doing it as a separate step, or in a separate program should be feasible.

Noob question:

Do the dealerships only show cars available up to your current level? Is there really only one new Acura you can buy in this game? The NSX '91?

I'm level 25 right now and want to know if increasing my level will make new cars appear in the dealerships. Haven't played this game in a while so I forget if they were all there from the start.

I'm counting 201 new cars to buy from the dealerships. Is that number right?

All other cars you get are either used or rewards?

I'm OCD so I want to know where and how I can get as many of the cars as possible. Thanks.

Polyphony

I would really like a video export feature at the moment as well. The Nordschleife race with the Impreza today was intense! Everything started off well for me, there were lots of little battles scattered here and there, but I cracked under pressure and committed a few dumb mistakes. It would be awesome to have the ability to edit footage of the race from different points of view.

criesofthepast said:
Noob question:

Do the dealerships only show cars available up to your current level? Is there really only one new Acura you can buy in this game? The NSX '91?

I'm level 25 right now and want to know if increasing my level will make new cars appear in the dealerships. Haven't played this game in a while so I forget if they were all there from the start.

I'm counting 201 new cars to buy from the dealerships. Is that number right?

All other cars you get are either used or rewards?

I'm OCD so I want to know where and how I can get as many of the cars as possible. Thanks.

Question 1: Dealerships show all of the new cars, even the ones that are above your level. So you could be level one and go to the Ferrari dealership and see(and actually demo) either of their Formula 1 cars.

Question 2: Yes, the NSX '91 is the only new Acura in the game. However, you CAN race mod that particular NSX.

Question 3:Yes, they're about 201 new Dealership(premium) cars and the rest are used (standard) cars. Some of these used cars you can only win as a reward for winning events(such as the Jay Leno Tank Car for winning the American Championship) but most you can find from time to time in the Used Car or Online Dealership sections.

Pimpbaa

Grover Cleveland said:
Question 3:Yes, they're about 201 new Dealership(premium) cars and the rest are used (standard) cars. Some of these used cars you can only win as a reward for winning events(such as the Jay Leno Tank Car for winning the American Championship) but most you can find from time to time in the Used Car or Online Dealership sections.

Leno's tank car is in the online dealership.

Top Bottom