• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

gutterboy44 said:
Not the delivery, obviously to get new content you have to be online. But to play them. Seasonals are an after thought on the god awful showing of the A spec mode in GT5. Event creator, proper a spec mode in the first place and seasonals wouldn't need to exist. Why not have a section of A-spec that is seasonals? It is so isolated and weird. The whole damn system is weird. Fragmented is pretty much sums up the entire GT5 experience.

That would mean extra data saved on your PS3 every time you log on. This just reads from directly from their servers. There is nothing wrong with this system, it's like a weekly challenge that you get from other games like FIFA or something.

offshore said:
Now he's re-tweeting another one

"@Kaz_Yamauchi I've bought the DLC ! It's not working on my son's account ! Please Mr Yamauchi,you have to consider PS3 as a family system !"

What a mess. The whole DLC system in GT5 is weird. A special import button??
That sucks. On the 360 it has a dual licensing system so it gives a license both to the console and the gamertag. If the console doesn't have the license to the DLC and you want to use a secondary gamertag, you can still use it by signing the primary gamertag into the second controller (something which a lot of people don't really know).

spuit*11

Banned
It seems all you guys do in GT5 is spend your time browsing around the menus.

You do know there's a driving simulator including in this riveting menu-exploration experience right?

I don't get how you can make such a big deal out of such a minor annoyance. Seems a bit silly.

patsu

gutterboy44 said:
The only reason Seasonals are online only is because that is the only way they could be shoe horned into the game. No reason they couldn't build up the events of A-spec or create new categories. This isn't unprecedented stuff here. In fact, the precedent set by games across all genres, including racing, far exceeds what PD is struggling to achieve.

If you think the state of GT events and single player experience is acceptable and that is what "we want" you need to re read some of these threads around the time of launch.

Seasonals are updated regularly. That's why online is needed. They can call it Seasonal A-Spec if they want. It doesn't require a rewrite. ^_^

Perhaps what they need is just a repackaging of all the races. e.g. Lump all beginner events together, all the core racing together, and all the enthusiasts stuff (kart, Sambabus, track building, ...) together.

Honestly some here should just sell/trade their game. It would spare them from all the unwarranted grief and pain. I mean, we are 1 year in already and Polyphony support and response has been pretty good or better than average - if you prefer.

I agree that the account lock was badly planned distribution of the DLC (already included in the patch). But they do have to protect their product from opportunists that could profit from it.
But all the other bickering, yes it is bickering, gets tiring, especially because it is always the same people eccoing.

I remember how people loudly complained that licenses were necessary for events (integration!) and they removed that. Now people complain because it isn't. People complain about not being able to dupe stuff. That's not even a mechanic within the game! It's an exploit! And then they complain how they cannot dupe a paid exclusive content just because. It is incredible.

Harder than to deal with real problems, that Kaz do acknowledge (account locking), is to filter all this unjustified whine. Again, they are doing a pretty good job responding to the community and supporting their game. And we are almost 1 year in from the release. Just trade/sell/gift the game already.

Putty

"Kaz_Yamauchi 山内 一典
We’re planning an another update for GT5 in December. In that update users who purchased cars and tracks from the DLC already,

Kaz_Yamauchi 山内 一典
-can receive a free “family upgrade” in the PS Store, which will let all users in the same PS console use the DLC.

And though we looked into this, unfortunately there’s no solution for crossing multiple regions.

I’m sorry, but we have to ask you to match the region of your disc and your PSN account setting.
"

patsu

gutterboy44 said:
Not the delivery, obviously to get new content you have to be online. But to play them. Seasonals are an after thought on the god awful showing of the A spec mode in GT5. Event creator, proper a spec mode in the first place and seasonals wouldn't need to exist. Why not have a section of A-spec that is seasonals? It is so isolated and weird. The whole damn system is weird. Fragmented pretty much sums up the entire GT5 experience.

Edit: Not to mention that Seasonals have been the exact same dull bullshit since the first batch came out. Start in last place, win the race. Sometimes you can grind for credits, other times you can't. When they were originally locked down in tuning and actually challenging they were fun. Now they are nothing more than idle time or a good place to grind. They are hot lapping sessions with no new added experience. I shouldn't have to rely on a seasonal to tell me that taking a Ferrari to Le Mans might be a fun lucrative experience. That should exist in the game.

I think it's meant to be highlights for people to race together. The events rank people. I can see the ranking of folks and watch their replay.

RIRei.png

December...ugh

So it took them 1 day to acknowledge the problem, and get working on a fix for it.

Compare that to any other company, I dare you.

But ofc, it's easier to shit on Kaz and PD for their "bullshit"

offshore

"People who bought the DLC cars will have those cars added to the dealers in the December update.

"After this December update you can purchase a second car and so on from the dealer."

patsu said:
I think it's meant to be highlights for people to race together. The events rank people. I can see the ranking of folks and watch their replay.

I think only drift and time trial have rankings. I can't believe no one thinks it is lame that every single seasonal is identical. Start last, finish first. How about start in first in a lesser car, defend to stay on podium. Pass three cars in one lap, any of countless variable that are possible for an event. The A-spec and Seasonal offering is what GT has been doing since GT1 and woefully unimaginative.

h3ro

Good on Kaz for getting out in front of this issue that many are having. Stinks that it's gonna take a while, but I'm sure they are putting out the fix as quickly as it could possibly happen.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Metalmurphy said:
So it took them 1 day to acknowledge the problem, and get working on a fix for it.

Totally agree. Major respect for Polyphony on actually listening to their fans.

offshore said:
"People who bought the DLC cars will have those cars added to the dealers in the December update.

"After this December update you can purchase a second car and so on from the dealer."
This part is even more important than account lock issue, thank you again Kaz.

sublimit

Banned
Could someone please answer me this:
I have the pal version of the game and my account with the GT5 data is a UK one.

On that account billing information is not available so i can't purchase anything from PSN with a credit card.

But if i use a PSN card to put money into that account would i be able to get the DLC?

Also can i use a European PSN card (€) into my UK account or do i have to buy a PSN card from UK?

offshore

"Next, don’t get your hopes up too high, but PDI is also readying a X-mas present for those who’ve already bought multiple DLCs."

offshore said:
"Next, don’t get your hopes up too high, but PDI is also readying a X-mas present for those who’ve already bought multiple DLCs."

"Multiple DLCs"? I only bought one, do I have to buy the bundle again? lol

gutterboy44 said:
I think only drift and time trial have rankings. I can't believe no one things it is lame that every single seasonal is identical. Start last, finish first. How about start in first in a lesser car, defend to stay on podium. Pass three cars in one lap, any of countless variable that are possible for an event. The A-spec and Seasonal offering is what GT has been doing since GT1 and woefully unimaginative.

You can always get a weaker car on the pp/hp range and put some sport hard tires, or comfort soft. The only thing that bothers me is that the times are too consistent. I play the Expert challenge every now and then, and it's always about 1'34 in Laguna Seca to clear it easily. And you end up outtaking almost always the same amount of cars at each lap. Yet FGT and Nascar (at A-Spec) manage to be a bit more random, I don't know what gives.

If they made the AI more random, sometimes pushing for faster laps and even commit mistakes, others just hold position, it would be nice. Feeling that luck play a part too.

And that still gives room for one to choose the best car and just get the rewards, and for others challenge themselves.
They are just as unimaginative as you are, they give a fairly broad option to please everyone.

Metalmurphy said:

If you want "unprecedented customization" that is to say, you want to paint more than one car the same color from DLC.

krioto

sublimit said:
Could someone please answer me this:
I have the pal version of the game and my account with the GT5 data is a UK one.

On that account billing information is not available so i can't purchase anything from PSN with a credit card.

But if i use a PSN card to put money into that account would i be able to get the DLC?

Also can i use a European PSN card (€) into my UK account or do i have to buy a PSN card from UK?

I think you'll be ok, as the disc/region/account ID are all PAL/European. Don't know about euro PSN card though - I've never used one.

MGR

Props to PD for acknowledging the issue and offering a resolution.

They've really made things difficult for themselves though. Now they're trying to compensate US players for the DLC delay, appease the users that found the DLC they just purchased is account locked and manage the disgruntled customers that have already purchased the DLC multiple times.

gutterboy44 said:
If you want "unprecedented customization" that is to say, you want to paint more than one car the same color from DLC.

Screw that, I only bought the bundle cause it was the cheapest option for Cars +Track+Suits.
lol.gif

Couldn't care less about the paints.

sublimit

Banned
krioto said:
I think you'll be ok, as the disc/region/account ID are all PAL/European. Don't know about euro PSN card though - I've never used one.
Thanks,i've never used a PSN card before either so i guess i have to do a little research first.

Btw it's great that Polyphony is working to fix the issue,it's just that i can't wait until December lol.Hopefully we won't ever see something like that in the future.

AndyD

aka andydumi
chubigans said:

Yep.

Sounds like they were planning a December update anyway, and this will just get rolled into it. And fixed for DLC going forward.

Which makes me wonder if we will see batch 2 of DLC in December, pre-Christmas.

MGR

Metalmurphy said:
Whatever it is should be available for everybody to purchase and free for those who've bought the first DLC pack multiple times. That would make the most sense.

So it will probably be implemented nothing like that.

CozMick

Banned
Major respect to Kaz, he gets shat on all the damn time but works to please the consumer more than any other producer in the industry.

ruttyboy

cutmeamango said:
I agree that the account lock was badly planned distribution of the DLC (already included in the patch). But they do have to protect their product from opportunists that could profit from it.

Genuine question, what do you mean by 'opportunists' in this case?

amar212

Metalmurphy said:

I agree. Massive respect to Yamauchi and his team, they have always delivered, they are delivering and they will deliver.

One more stone in my personal monument of respect for their work in last 15 years.

tusken77

chubigans said:

Absolutely. Solal's 'Kaz must go' nonsense was enough. I've put him ignore. Didn't even know there was an ignore function until MM mentioned doing it to Solal yesterday. lol

darkwing

SolidSnakex said:
I just noticed that GT5 and GT5P are currently on the German sales charts. What the hell?

EU is GT's biggest market

and looks like there is a DLC for December too? by the way Kaz tweets

ruttyboy said:
Genuine question, what do you mean by 'opportunists' in this case?

If you could dupe or obtain into several accounts the paint/gear/cars, you'd be receiving more than you paid for. And if they are tradable like paint/gear are, it opens the door for opportunists.
It is a pickle because there are genuine users that share their videogame with their siblings/sons/parents and having them buy the DLC for every account sucks, but they can't be too open either because there are people that have 3843 accounts just because. And while that does not mean they would act opportunely about it, there are those who would.

Spending 5 years to make this game, another year to release DLC and major revisions, moreover, another 2 months to fix the DLC all of which should have been implemented in the game day one is hardly commendable. I am not going to stomp my feet and clap my hands because Kaz is attempting to fix his abundant mistakes and oversights.

Kaz knows his shit when it comes to modeling and physics, but content delivery, community management and gameplay development are about as fluent as his English.

tusken77

SolidSnakex said:
I just noticed that GT5 and GT5P are currently on the German sales charts. What the hell?

GT5 was up to the lofty heights of 13th in the UK chart 6 weeks ago. GT's got a lovely pair of legs.

My God PD never seize to amaze with the constant updates. Another update in December with possibly more DLC this year. I don't think I'll ever stop playing this game.

panty

Huge respect for Kaz/PD for answering the problem so quickly.

SolidSnakex said:
I am in love with the girl in your avatar.

ruttyboy

cutmeamango said:
If you could dupe or obtain into several accounts the paint/gear/cars, you'd be receiving more than you paid for. And if they are tradable like paint/gear are, it opens the door for opportunists.
It is a pickle because there are genuine users that share their videogame with their siblings/sons/parents and having them buy the DLC for every account sucks, but they can't be too open either because there are people that have 3843 accounts just because. And while that does not mean they would act opportunely about it, there are those who would.
Forgive my ignorance but I still don't get why that's a problem? How are these people profiting from it?

EDIT: That is to say, even if they have 4,000 copies of the DLC on one console, it's still stuck on that console and so it's effectively one copy of the DLC as only one person can play on it at once.

AndyD

aka andydumi
cutmeamango said:

I think since this is a core feature of the system it needs to be supported as such. And it seems they acknowledged it.

ruttyboy said:
Forgive my ignorance but I still don't get why that's a problem? How are these people profiting from it?

A 100 paint set costs $1,99, If I'm able to get 5 sets of that per console and send it all to 1 account, I just saved myself roughly 8 dollars. Now if I were to send this sets to other people, they just got content for free, which is profit.

AndyD said:
I think since this is a core feature of the system it needs to be supported as such. And it seems they acknowledged it.

I agree, hence I said some pages ago that they should work a way to make those untradable.

Top Bottom