• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Angst

gutterboy44 said:
Exactly, this is fine. I actually like multiple versions of cars as well. However, you cannot buy your own DLC even though you paid for it.

The simple solution to this is have the DLC unlock the car in game. Make it cost over a million credits, boom, no trading to friends. Who gives a shit if you can dupe it to your own accounts and in your game. It is all within your own system and you fucking paid for it.

Lets not forget that this DLC is dropping nearly a year after the launch of the game and several years after the first DLC was delivered via PSN for a retail title. They don't have their heads in the sand, they have them in a god damn nuclear bunker.
Speaking of head in the sand - you want to join us on Sunday? :p

Unfortunately I won't be able to. I don't think my girl friend has, "watch me play GT5" as part of her birthday plans. I should have more free weekends coming up though.

spats

Suzzopher said:
Not sure if this has been said but, EU Plus subscribers can get the DLC for a discount......sucks for those who paid full whack yesterday.

SCEE should give a refund. They announced a + discount but no such thing existed when the packs went up yesterday. I just assumed that somebody fucked up again and the discount was supposed to be a US exclusive.

SCEE is so shit.

gutterboy44 said:
Unfortunately I won't be able to. I don't think my girl friend has, "watch me play GT5" as part of her birthday plans. I should have more free weekends coming up though.
But winning a race would be a nice gift!

Angst

gutterboy44 said:
LMAO, no that doesn't sound like the sort of birthday girlfriends wants.

krioto

Yep - one-offs for the new cars seems a bit stupid - but is the same as the pre-release stealth cars and chromelines. The only way to reverse a change on these is deleting the game data.

But, they've obviously done this to stop duping/trading - should have just set them as 1 million credit cars.

In fact - these cars have really been positioned badly - they are essentially the same as the pre-order bonus cars - and should have been sold as such.

It seems cars we get for free can be re-bought (i.r. 24H Schultz GTR, new Nascars) but anything paid for seems to be locked down to stop swaps/trading and people that didn't pay from getting them - I see the logic, but is odd.

They're caught in a bind:

- DLC/bonus cars - don't want them to be traded to non-payers, so cannot be duped/shared/traded, but downside is they are 1 time cars

- Other cars - can be traded up to 1mill value, and no need to restrict from non-payers.

They need to find a balance.

Edit: I just realise I've said essentially the same thing 3 times....

brotkasten said:
But winning a race would be a nice gift!

Haha. She took me to see the movie, Senna on mine. Maybe I will take her to a personal showing of, Gutterboy. Only instead of dying in a horrific crash, I rant on a message board after the race.

Angst

Kaz retweeted someone ranting about the DLC:
PRdnV.png

At least they are acknowledging the problem, hopefully that means they're working on something. Perhaps they'll send the DLC as a DVD to the people affected?

hirokazu

gutterboy44 said:
Exactly, this is fine. I actually like multiple versions of cars as well. However, you cannot buy your own DLC even though you paid for it.

The simple solution to this is have the DLC unlock the car in game. Make it cost over a million credits, boom, no trading to friends. Who gives a shit if you can dupe it to your own accounts and in your game. It is all within your own system and you fucking paid for it.
This is an idea I can get behind. If they don't want people to dupe DLC from a single purchase, then don't allow them to be traded. I never really cared that there were irreversible tune-ups since I would never apply them to my chromelines or any other DLC cars I get, but having the DLC cars unlocked for purchase in-game for 1m+ Cr. would solve these concerns.

But then, you can't trade DLC paint or driver gear anyway (and I think somebody said the DLC cars can't be traded either), so I'm somewhat mystified about why they chose to do this in the first place? Not to mention that you can't trade tracks either...

spats

Angst said:
PRdnV.png

At least they are acknowledging the problem, hopefully that means they're working on something. Perhaps they'll send the DLC as a DVD to the people affected?

That seems a bit drastic.

hirokazu

Angst said:
PRdnV.png

I hope he retweeted to indirectly say he hears us and not "ooops, I retweeted that by accident" or "I think he's saying something positive about GT5, so I'll retweet it." But I don't have my hopes up on this, it'd be a bit of a clusterfuck for them to make it work the normal way when the DLC has already been released and purchased by a lot of people.

EDIT: OK he's retweeted another one:

@Kaz_Yamauchi said:
Ze20Syl: @Kaz_Yamauchi I've bought the DLC ! It's not working on my son's account ! Please Mr Yamauchi,you have to consider PS3 as a family system !
Should we keep some hope? I must also add that I do appreciate that PD has listened to the community when patching the game, so hopefully that continues in this case.

offshore

Now he's re-tweeting another one

"@Kaz_Yamauchi I've bought the DLC ! It's not working on my son's account ! Please Mr Yamauchi,you have to consider PS3 as a family system !"

What a mess. The whole DLC system in GT5 is weird. A special import button??

Angst

hirokazu said:
I hope he retweeted to indirectly say he hears us and not "ooops, I retweeted that by accident" or "I think he's saying something positive about GT5, so I'll retweet it." But I don't have my hopes up on this, it'd be a bit of a clusterfuck for them to make it work the normal way when the DLC has already been released and purchased by a lot of people.
Shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Everyone that has bought the DLC receives the new DLC unlock key FoC. Ok, we get double the amount of cars and paints, but big deal?

hirokazu

Angst said:
Shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Everyone that has bought the DLC receives the new DLC unlock key FoC. Ok, we get double the amount of cars and paints, but big deal?
I guess that would be fair consolation for those who bought it and then found out after the fact that they couldn't use it... I just assumed it would be a big deal to PD since the main reason they did this, as far as we know, was to prevent people getting dupes.

Goldrusher

All they have to do is change the dlc system to the one everybody else uses.
So that you get an unlock file you have to download which changes the game's installation on the hdd, which effectively enables the dlc for every player on the system.

Right now, it's a bit silly AND on the store there's false advertising as it has the usual "for use on up to 5 systems" in the description.

hirokazu

Goldrusher said:
So that you get an unlock file you have to download which changes the game's installation on the hdd, which effectively enables the dlc for every player on the system.

Right now, it's a bit silly AND on the store there's false advertising as it has the usual "for use on up to 5 systems" in the description.
Since it's account locked and you can have your account on up to 5 PS3s, isn't that description technically correct? You just can't use it on a different account...

Or did they do something funky so that it can only be activated once only and won't show up on any other PS3 that the account has been authorised for?

amar212

Simple solution for real management of the DLC-content in the game would be to introduce Paint Dealership, Gear Dealership and include those DLC cars in the existing dealership as a full-model.

In Paint Dealership you coud re-buy additional quantities of all Polyphony Digital paints (all matte, chrome and this Special DLC included) for some amount of in-game money (Cr).

In Gear Dealership you could re-buy additional quantities of all suits (maybe excluding only ones tied for real-life drivers) in order to make yourself and your B-Spec Team dressed-up, also for some amount of in-game money (Cr).

In Car Dealerships you could buy additional DLC models as a brand-new 0/0 cars for in-game money (Cr).

With above they could still impose non-trading/gifting/sharing policy of DLC content and make players happy with they purchase and still regain the philosophy of the gameplay intact.

hirokazu said:
Since it's account locked and you can have your account on up to 5 PS3s, isn't that description technically correct? You just can't use it on a different account...

I can't see GT5 purchase on my Store history either on my primary console, neither on my another PS3 that uses the same profile as my primary console. Like I never purchased it. So, there really isn't a way to re-download that content unless it is done in fashion I do not know of.

Goldrusher said:

Hum, you can still use it on 5 systems can't you?

alba

Little is the new Big
Exactly Amar, that's exactly what I was thinking about and I don't think it'd be that much work to put in the game anyhow. I'm really hoping they go that route, DLC system is kind of weird right now ;O

amar212

Metalmurphy said:
Hum, you can still use it on 5 systems can't you?

As I said in my answer above > not as I know at this moment.

I guess it was done to prevent "sharing", but in the process the ability to have 5 downloads for the same account is lost as I can tell. I would be happy if someone will prove otherwise.

All of the issues present at the launch of GT5 and now at the launch of the first and likely last DLC for the next 6-10 months, further confirms my suspicion that the entire core of GT games is flawed and hasn't been rebuilt...ever. The driving model (which is fine because it is the best on any console) and the car models have been the sole focus of PD. The same event setup, license test, modding, oil changing, replay system, saving system (or lack there of) t has been nearly identical fashion since GT 1 or 2. All of these new features like B spec in GT4, online modes, gifting, DLC etc that they are trying to add to their game have to bend and twist to fit this archaic structure that PD has built. Seasonals are great, but they are silly. Why not have them implement into the A-spec game? Tons of other games manage the blend of DLC and original content with ease. Trophies separate without issue, the same game mechanics exist without issue. Look at Borderlands. Jumping between DLC and original content is flawless, and it juggles way more game mechanics than simply what cars you own.

Outside of the physics, modeling and lighting, GT6 needs a complete overhaul.

amar212 said:
I can't see GT5 purchase on my Store history either on my primary console, neither on my another PS3 that uses the same profile as my primary console. Like I never purchased it. So, there really isn't a way to re-download that content unless it is done in fashion I do not know of.

Everyone downloaded the DLC, but buying it unlocks it for your account. You won't find it in the Download menu, it's in the Services List, along with Playstation Plus and whatnot.

KKRT00

gutterboy44 said:
same event setup, license test, modding, oil changing, replay system, saving system (or lack there of) t has been nearly identical fashion since GT 1 or 2
Maybe because people like it that way?

And seasonal cant be A-spec feature, because it requires online and a-spec is offline only mode.

Bollocks

spats said:
SCEE should give a refund. They announced a + discount but no such thing existed when the packs went up yesterday. I just assumed that somebody fucked up again and the discount was supposed to be a US exclusive.

SCEE is so shit.
Discount for what? For their own stupidity? I too contemplated but it was announced on the blog so I knew it was coming, how about to wait a day or two.
I bought the DLC today with the discount applied to it, I have nothing but laughs for my PSN+ fellows who bought it yesterday full price.

CozMick

Banned
On the UK Store you're able to buy the car, paint and avatar gear as many times as you like.

Does this mean If I wanted to I could re use the paints etc again?

amar212 said:
As I said in my answer above > not as I know at this moment.

I guess it was done to prevent "sharing", but in the process the ability to have 5 downloads for the same account is lost as I can tell. I would be happy if someone will prove otherwise.

There is no download. It's an active service, that service is active on your account on all systems where the account is used. Just like you have PSN+ on any PS3 you use with the same account.

hirokazu

CozMick said:
On the UK Store you're able to buy the car, paint and avatar gear as many times as you like.

I think that's the way it works, I don't know! Somebody with multiple PS3s need to test if the DLC can be collected from all their consoles or just the first one.

Solal

gutterboy44 said:
All of the issues present at the launch of GT5 and now at the launch of the first and likely last DLC for the next 6-10 months, further confirms my suspicion that the entire core of GT games is flawed and hasn't been rebuilt...ever. The driving model (which is fine because it is the best on any console) and the car models have been the sole focus of PD. The same event setup, license test, modding, oil changing, replay system, saving system (or lack there of) t has been nearly identical fashion since GT 1 or 2. All of these new features like B spec in GT4, online modes, gifting, DLC etc that they are trying to add to their game have to bend and twist to fit this archaic structure that PD has built. Seasonals are great, but they are silly. Why not have them implement into the A-spec game? Tons of other games manage the blend of DLC and original content with ease. Trophies separate without issue, the same game mechanics exist without issue. Look at Borderlands. Jumping between DLC and original content is flawless, and it juggles way more game mechanics than simply what cars you own.

Outside of the physics, modeling and lighting, GT6 needs a complete overhaul.

Amen again.

And i'd add that screen tearing and framerate drops make the game not only unthought and unproduced but also very unconformtable visually (which is a shame considering it's 1080p supposedly 60fps). Catastrophic choices all along Kaz...

Still the best handling model and driving sensations I ever had though... so sad Kaz lost all common sense.

CozMick said:

Where do you buy it from? Regular dealership?

KKRT00 said:
Maybe because people like it that way?

And seasonal cant be A-spec feature, because it requires online and a-spec is offline only mode.

The only reason Seasonals are online only is because that is the only way they could be shoe horned into the game. No reason they couldn't build up the events of A-spec or create new categories. This isn't unprecedented stuff here. In fact, the precedent set by games across all genres, including racing, far exceeds what PD is struggling to achieve.

If you think the state of GT events and single player experience is acceptable and that is what "we want" you need to re read some of these threads around the time of launch.

sublimit

Banned
I'm glad that Polyphony at least aknowledge the account problem and hopefully they'll be able to fix this soon IF Sony will not be greedy enough to deny a multiple account fix.

Solal

sublimit said:
I'm glad that Polyphony at least aknowledge the account problem and hopefully they'll be able to fix this soon IF Sony will not be greedy enough to deny a multiple account fix.

Stop blaming Sony. Kaz IS the producer AND one of Sony's big bosses. Kaz did it. Noone else.

How come people always swallow his bullshit?

Kaz needs to go.

Solal said:
Stop blaming Sony. Kaz IS the producer AND one of Sony's big bosses. Kaz did it. Noone else.

Kaz is the humble good guy and a god. Show some respect, Dan.

offshore

gutterboy44 said:
If you think the state of GT events and single player experience is acceptable and that is what "we want" you need to re read some of these threads around the time of launch.
They need to blend everything that comprises GT together, not to segregate it. License tests, challenges, time trials, special events, races, NASCAR, Super GT, WRC…blend it all together into this expansive and in-depth career mode; don't make it all completely separate.

gutterboy44 said:
The only reason Seasonals are online only is because that is the only way the could be shoe horned into the game. No reason they couldn't build up the events of A-spec or create new categories. This isn't unprecedented stuff here. In fact, the precedent set by games across all genres, uncluding racing, far exceeds what PD is struggling to achieve.

This is what irks me the most, every day i visit the Used car dealership and acquire many cars that interest me. I wish they had multiple car manufacturer events in A spec, but there never is nothing new, it really cant be hard to add new events for offline.

gutterboy44 said:
The only reason Seasonals are online only is because that is the only way the could be shoe horned into the game. No reason they couldn't build up the events of A-spec or create new categories. This isn't unprecedented stuff here. In fact, the precedent set by games across all genres, uncluding racing, far exceeds what PD is struggling to achieve.

Are you serious? The only reason seasonal are online is because they're continuously pushed out by PD through a crazy thing called the internet, which you know, need to be online for it.

Solal said:

Kaz needs to go.

Dude, PD is owned by Sony. Sony can dictate what they want PD to do whenever the hell they want because they OWN them. Doesn't matter who Kaz is, he still has people above him and those people can dictate what he will do or not do.

Sethos

Banned
Didn't someone say that Plus members didn't get a price reduction on the DLC?

"GT5 DLC Bundle exclusively priced at £7.19/€8.99 for Plus members"

Solal

I know that. But GT is the only game where everytime there is something wrong, poeple blame it on Sony! Without having any clue what s going on.

When GT3 was the best game ever, nobody was saying "That's thanks to sony!"

Now that GT5 shows some "consistent conception problems", it s suddenly all Sony's fault.

Ridiculous.

The producer is responsible for his product. Period.

Edit: Sony owns a lot of devs...and PD is the only having systematic problems on stuff that EVERYONE else made 5 years ago!

Yaska

Sethos said:
Didn't someone say that Plus members didn't get a price reduction on the DLC?

"GT5 DLC Bundle exclusively priced at £7.19/€8.99 for Plus members"
Bought it for 9€ just now.

KKRT00

gutterboy44 said:

I dont mind it, especially because i havent been able to play GT 3 and GT 4.
But even if i played them, for me that design is not that horrible, because almost every console game has horrible design and is streamlined as fuck: lack of options, tutorials everywhere, corridor missions, pop-ups everywhere, scripted events, lack of challenge etc.
There are so many games that are stupid and bad designed, yet still they get great scores, reviews, opinions, so for me, its not 'that bad' and definitely not worse than 'industry standard' this days.

Should it be improved/changed? Yes! Do i want other things in GT like for example more focus on WRC, or seasonal events based on WRC and course creator with coop? Fuck yes.
But do i think, its really that worse than other games? No, i'm not and dont understand that hate.

offshore

KKRT00 said:
I dont mind it, especially because i havent been able to play GT 3 and GT 4.
Well that explains it. Go and play them, and you'll realise what people mean. GT hasn't changed.

Sure, GT3 was "more of the same" but it still felt fresh; PS2 hardware helped as well. But then GT4 came along and it was more of the same; GT5 has come along and after six years since GT4, it's just still exactly the same design as every previous edition with the same old problems.

Sometimes, old is just old, and you've just got to let go.

sublimit

Banned
Solal said:
I know that. But GT is the only game where everytime there is something wrong, poeple blame it on Sony! Without having any clue what s going on.

When GT3 was the best game ever, nobody was saying "That's thanks to sony!"

Now that GT5 shows some "consistent conception problems", it s suddenly all Sony's fault.

Ridiculous.

The producer is responsible for his product. Period.

Edit: Sony owns a lot of devs...and PD is the only having systematic problems on stuff that EVERYONE else made 5 years ago!

Obviously for game design decisions it's the developers who are responsible and they should always be credited for them.
However the account lock issue doesn't have anything to do with game design and development.The only ones who can benefit from a decision like that is Sony.

Metalmurphy said:
Are you serious? The only reason seasonal are online is because they're continuously pushed out by PD through a crazy thing called the internet, which you know, need to be online for it.

Not the delivery, obviously to get new content you have to be online. But to play them. Seasonals are an after thought on the god awful showing of the A spec mode in GT5. Event creator, proper a spec mode in the first place and seasonals wouldn't need to exist. Why not have a section of A-spec that is seasonals? It is so isolated and weird. The whole damn system is weird. Fragmented pretty much sums up the entire GT5 experience.

Edit: Not to mention that Seasonals have been the exact same dull bullshit since the first batch came out. Start in last place, win the race. Sometimes you can grind for credits, other times you can't. When they were originally locked down in tuning and actually challenging they were fun. Now they are nothing more than idle time or a good place to grind. They are hot lapping sessions with no new added experience. I shouldn't have to rely on a seasonal to tell me that taking a Ferrari to Le Mans might be a fun lucrative experience. That should exist in the game.

Top Bottom