• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Sorc3r3r

Phanatic8390 said:
This x 1000

I just started trying drifting with the last seasonal.

Spent 2 hours trying to bronze with a wheel. Switched to the DS3, bronzed it in 15 minutes

Yup that's absolutely true, but the satisfaction on doing it with a wheel?

i've spent 2 hrs on getting the the gold on the rally one with a Stratos, and i've managed to get close to the bronze in the mini ring one, was very fun, and as my 1st attempt to drift not so bad.

Ravage

Dibbz said:
6262063606_130a2e8ab7_z.jpg

Wow, I really like this shot. How did you get your driver into the picture?

jabuseika

Hmm, I did the Drift Seasonals before they were taken down, nothing wrong with them at all.

The Eiger Nordwand one was kind of hard because you were going uphill through the tight hairpins. I had to try several drift cars before finding one with enough low-rpm torque to get up the hill.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Xun said:
Yet to try it so I'm not entirely sure.

The new one is vastly superior anyway.
But I also love the old intro I don't want it to go away forever :p I always wondered if it was possible to see the intro without having to go through all the "born of a car" (fabulous) video first.

Dash Kappei said:
But I also love the old intro I don't want it to go away forever :p I always wondered if it was possible to see the intro without having to go through all the "born of a car" (fabulous) video first.
It wont go away forever - you can still watch it in Gran Turismo TV.

Dibbz

Dash Kappei said:
In GT TV you can fast forward the intro so you can skip it if you want.

tusken77

Has anyone posted pics of their wheel setups in here? I thought I'd ask before searching through both these mammoth GT5 threads.

spats

Was never really into repainting my cars, but some of the new paints are very cool. PD=shader gods.

Ahrweiler%252520-%252520Town%252520Square.jpg

Ahrweiler%252520-%252520Town%252520Square.jpg

No contact shadow below the driver's feet is driving me insane though. Fix this shit PD!

Dash Kappei

Spats that looks incredible. What paint is that?

Btw, it bothers me soooo much that most of my cars' thumbnails are fucked up in the garage/arcade, is there a way to fix that?

Dash Kappei said:

Btw, it bothers me soooo much that most of my cars' thumbnails are fucked up in the garage/arcade, is there a way to fix that?

The latest version has a feature to rebuild all thumbnails. It takes a long time with a lot of cars.

Angst

Dash Kappei said:

You can rebuild all thumbnails or do them one by one. Press triangle and select rebuild thumbnails.

spats

Dash Kappei said:

The thumbnail for the paint looks like a white-pink gradient. Don't remember the name, sorry.

People, I have a question, I've been searching in google but I haven't found anything related. My brother has bought a G27, and we plan to use with GT5 (obviously lol). We had an old Driving Force and a week ago I tried it to get used to a wheel, but when I mounted it and I played a few hours I was scared of a thing (more like paranoid). I would set the wheel in my desk table, but then I would have my PS3 and monitor stand very near in the table, around 30 cm. of distance. The vibration of the wheel could damage my PS3 Blu-Ray drive (or PS3 system in general) and monitor if I used a lot the G27? Maybe it is a stupid question, but I'm a bit paranoid. The desk table is big and sturdy btw.

Dash Kappei

spats said:
The thumbnail for the paint looks like a white-pink gradient. Don't remember the name, sorry.
Is it a chrome paint from the DLC pack?

Edit: Thanks for the tips about the thumbnails guys, cheers

Dash Kappei

Vasilisk said:
People, I have a question, I've been searching in google but I haven't found anything related. My brother has bought a G27, and we plan to use with GT5 (obviously lol). We had an old Driving Force and a week ago I tried it to get used to a wheel, but when I mounted it and I played a few hours I was scared of a thing (more like paranoid). I would set the wheel in my desk table, but then I would have my PS3 and monitor stand very near in the table, around 30 cm. of distance. The vibration of the wheel could damage my PS3 Blu-Ray drive (or PS3 system in general) and monitor if I used a lot the G27? Maybe it is a stupid question, but I'm a bit paranoid. The desk table is big and sturdy btw.
Depends. Does the table vibrate a lot? Then yes, you could damage the hard drive and the blu-ray drive (monitor I'd say no unless it shakes violently but then what the hell are you doing still playing it like that eheh)..
I have a G27 and I could never mount it to a setup like that, especially if you play with Damage HIGH :p
Again, I can't say for sure not having seen how your table behaves.

Dash Kappei

Why the hell can't I change the number ("1" -One) on the GTR-35? The option icon to change number and font isn't even there. I can do it with any other of the DLC cars no problem. Is it a bug or done on purpose?

spats

Phalanx said:
Lol, I just noticed this ad for gokart racing in a newspaper:

Guess that was the easiest way to get a cool photo. :p

They didn't even bother to blur or shop out the Gran Turismo logos. :D

Angst

Dash Kappei said:
Why the hell can't I change the number ("1" -One) on the GTR-35? The option icon to change number and font isn't even there. I can do it with any other of the DLC cars no problem. Is it a bug or done on purpose?
Probably a bug. Or because the GTR-35 deserves the #1?

Dash Kappei said:
Depends. Does the table vibrate a lot? Then yes, you could damage the hard drive and the blu-ray drive (monitor I'd say no unless it shakes violently but then what the hell are you doing still playing it like that eheh)..
I have a G27 and I could never mount it to a setup like that, especially if you play with Damage HIGH :p
Again, I can't say for sure not having seen how your table behaves.

Ok, we're waiting the G27 to arrive, I'll try it (and from what you say, if the vibration force has various settings, I'll play with them). The table is big (170x70x20mm) and is certainly sturdy, and has weight in it (a PC, PS3, monitor and various things). When I tried the Driving Force I put a L folded sheet in the top of my PS3 (vertical stand) and when the wheel vibrated the sheet oscillate a little. I think I'm being paranoid, but after two YLOD I'm very cautious about my PS3. If I see the table vibrates too much with the G27 I'll search another solution..

offshore

Some people were wondering if the media would take another look at GT5. Well, here's the first.

GT5 2.0: Why You Need To Go Back

Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness patched upon 'em. When it launched last November, Gran Turismo 5 was certainly marked with brilliance; a work of slavish endeavour, its dedication to recreating the automobile in many of its forms elevated the simulator to a form of art, with a poetry at the heart of Polyphony's game that its peers have failed to emulate.

This single-mindedness did more than bless Gran Turismo 5 with a certain genius, though. So studied was the studio in its craft, so obsessed with its work, that it seemed to take its eye off of the fast evolving word of driving games around it, and when it launched Gran Turismo 5 was as archaic as it was artful.

On-track it's still Gran Turismo that's the superior game - and it helps that Polyphony has recently adopted one of the world's greatest circuits in the long overdue first batch of DLC. Spa Francorchamps provides the perfect arena to highlight Gran Turismo's handling supremacy, and this famed stretch of tarmac that runs through the Ardennes has arguably never been so well adapted in a game.

An online mode crippled by an obtuse front end, an interface that was willfully difficult and a spread of content obscured under a dense lattice of menus all suggested that Polyphony's attention was elsewhere.

But the past year has seen Polyphony turn its attention to the community, compiling feedback and slowly chipping away at its creation, fine-tuning it with iterative tweaks. Nearly twelve months after the initial release playing Gran Turismo 5 is a markedly different experience, and undeniably a better one.

In the twelve months since Gran Tursimo 5's launch it's those Seasonal Events that have provided the incentive to return on a regular basis, with the rewards ramping up to the point where, quite recently, it was possible to become a multi-millionaire on the back of one quick race. A broken economy, yes, but one that was certainly entertaining to indulge in.

The overblown Seasonal Event rewards of recent months have now been replaced by a consecutive log-in bonus and a renewed emphasis on online races that Gran Turismo 5's multiplayer suite still struggles to support. Despite a constant trickle of updates and the slightest of overhauls, Gran Turismo 5's online racing remains deeply flawed, its convoluted Lounge system a poor replacement for half-decent matchmaking.

It's one area that makes Sony's decision to place Gran Turismo 5 toe-to-toe with Forza 4 seem particularly unwise, as put in relief to Turn 10's broad and compelling online aspects Polyphony's game feels criminally lacking - and a large number of the issues raised just after release are yet to be addressed and likely never will.

It's a rather large blot on what's otherwise been a remarkable journey for Gran Turismo 5, and one that you have to applaud Polyphony for taking. To choose between this and Forza 4 would be a fool's work; both offer takes on the genre that are now different enough to complement each other, with Forza's emphasis on Community marking it out for one audience while Gran Turismo's precision marks it out for another. If you're looking for a diversity of driving experiences, then Gran Turismo's always been the best - and now it's that little bit better too.

Bit more at link http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-10-21-reassessing-gran-turismo-5-article

Really agree with the last parts. Online needs a colossal overhaul with GT6, with quick, easier and better integration with photo, course, car and livery (because there had better damn well be a livery editor in 6 ^^) sharing.

And we need Polyphony's own take on Rivals/Autolog as well.

Dead Man

I was with them until this:

Despite a constant trickle of updates and the slightest of overhauls, Gran Turismo 5's online racing remains deeply flawed, its convoluted Lounge system a poor replacement for half-decent matchmaking.

No. Fuck off with matchmaking. The GT5 system is not very intuitive, but matchmaking is balls.

offshore

Dead Man said:
I was with them until this:

No. Fuck off with matchmaking. The GT5 system is not very intuitive, but matchmaking is balls.
Yeah, never really got the clamour for matchmaking. I've made some great friends through the lobbies....and a fair share of enemies :^)

Gynoug79

that guy is displaying some (naked feet aside) awesome skill in his other gt5 videos... Kaz should send him some racing shoes to make his outfit complete !

Top Bottom