• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

That's some really solid advice.

And I was wondering if I could crank the FF up. Spent about 5 minutes looking, but only found more menus. Will definitely be doing that.

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it if you value ur G27. It's in the general wheel settings, or whatever it's called. The first one on the list.

paskowitz

So any news yet regarding December's "Family Upgrade"?

Nothing official. Expect the Subaru BRZ, Toyota GT-86 and Scion FR-S to be part of the deal though. The 2012 Nissan GTR is also likely... :(

Beyond that its pure speculation. At this point I think they may release some remastered versions of classic tracks (if you look at GT5's current tracks like Laguna Seca you can tell they are remastered and not recreated like Le Sarthe and The Ring. So something like that is not out of the question). Subaru just released a SGT300 version of the BRZ so that is possible. The NSV-10 is another possibility.

@1-D_FTW: Just make sure the FF is above 5. The simulation setting is more important. Also make sure to turn off assisted steering.

brentech

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it if you value ur G27. It's in the general wheel settings, or whatever it's called. The first one on the list.

Wasn't your wheel smoking after we raced the Formula GTs event a while back. I know mine was way hotter than it ever had been, and it had a little smell to it as well.

Polyphony

Got this game recently too.
Any tips for beginners? I hear it takes a long time to grind out money to get decent cars.

As previously said, the Seasonal Events have the largest rewards.

New players be advised, if you enjoy slowly unlocking new content, I wouldn't recommend doing them right away. You go from level 1 to 15 after a single Seasonal race. It ruins the sense of progress and reward (for those that feel it's important), but does grant you access to more content.

I started with A-Spec races, licence tests and special events first, then moved on to Seasonal races once the grind sets in. It was an enjoyable ride with little grinding until level 35.

Also, here are the highlights from one of the two races we did this weekend in the NRL.

brentech

I really wish the premiumed more non-sport versions of cars. Like, some non AMG or M class, or WRXs. I'd love to be able to drive traditional cars and race them as such.

I'd by no means want sport versions versions gone, for clarifications, just would love to have some every day drivers added to the mix.

magawolaz

Just got my GT 5 today. Glad I took a leap and purchased it.

Quick impressions from a couple races with the Ferrari F40 and Shelby in arcade mode (all driving assists/car aides off with G27): tracks are kind of ugly, tearing is unfortunate, but the car library and physics will have me playing this for quite a while. G27 works flawlessly.

Now to grind my way up so I can get some fun cars in non-arcade mode.

If you carry out both A-spec/B-spec you don't need to grind for money since the game will give you several useful cars.
Seasonal Events are the best way to make money, but as Polyphony says, they ruin the game progression a bit. I suggest you not to race in SE until level 25, easily achievable without much grinding (just do A/B-spec races, Special Events, License tests, etc.).

That said, I can't wait for the Toyota 86. And GTR '12. Haters gonna hate, but I love the new GTR. But more than that, I'd like to have more and more tracks. Pwease PD.

1-D_FTW

All right. Turned FF up to 7 and put it on simulation. That's a big upgrade. The physics are delicious. Now I know what Kaz spent all those years on.

Got this game recently too.
Any tips for beginners? I hear it takes a long time to grind out money to get decent cars.

I always start a GT game with the licenses. It's a gentle learning curve and gradually opens up all the A-Spec events and you get a real sense of achievement earnin' your 'wings'. Though for quick cash seasonal is your man.

2scoops

I have a question if someone can help me out please. I know that we can postpone A-spec endurance races, can the same be done for B-spec?

All i have left to do is both the 24H races, but i'm a little worried about the state of my ps3. Don't think it can handle it lol

magawolaz

I have a question if someone can help me out please. I know that we can postpone A-spec endurance races, can the same be done for B-spec?

All i have left to do is both the 24H races, but i'm a little worried about the state of my ps3. Don't think it can handle it lol
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I saw the option to save the game when entering the pits also in B-spec. Try starting Le Mans and, on the first lap, go to the pit stop and see if you can save.

Anyway, I made both 24h in B-spec without saving, and my fat PS3 is still running :)

And today I finally get gold trophy on that advanced
f*cking
slalom License test! I'm so happy. It took me "only" half an hour. Now all I need is golding all Vettel and half of AMG tests.

2scoops

I'm not 100% sure, but I think I saw the option to save the game when entering the pits also in B-spec. Try starting Le Mans and, on the first lap, go to the pit stop and see if you can save.

Anyway, I made both 24h in B-spec without saving, and my fat PS3 is still running :)

And today I finally get gold trophy on that advanced
f*cking
slalom License test! I'm so happy. It took me "only" half an hour. Now all I need is golding all Vettel and half of AMG tests.

Nice, i'll check it out, thanks! Right on getting that gold on the slalom! I've been trying for a long while on that one, still cant get it.....i need to get my wheel back, then mabye...

I'm in the same boat as you for the AMG and Vettel golds. Having a hard time with some of the AMG tests, but in all honesty, i'm terrified of the Vettel challenges!

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply!

As previously said, the Seasonal Events have the largest rewards.

New players be advised, if you enjoy slowly unlocking new content, I wouldn't recommend doing them right away. You go from level 1 to 15 after a single Seasonal race. It ruins the sense of progress and reward (for those that feel it's important), but does grant you access to more content.

I started with A-Spec races, licence tests and special events first, then moved on to Seasonal races once the grind sets in. It was an enjoyable ride with little grinding until level 35.

Also, here are the highlights from one of the two races we did this weekend in the NRL.

That video was awesome.

Seasonal Events are the best way to make money, but as Polyphony says, they ruin the game progression a bit.

It's bad enough that I have to spend HOURS messing around with Vitz & Mini-Coopers like with the previous GT games, but having a new leveling system that restricts you on what you can buy is a kick in the nuts.

My impressions have been a roller coaster so far. My first time booting it up & playing a time trail race was Holy crap this all looks good. Looks much better than Forza 4. Cleaner, sharper, higher res textures & the cars & lighting are a noticeable step better. Nice cockpit view too.

Then I go into career mode. Holy crap this shit is bad. Standard PS2 modeled cars on a standard PS2 modeled track. Getting a messily $3,000, only to buy another crap car needed for another crap restricted race event.

I played all the main GT games & this has by far the worst menu system know to man, I literally spent an hour just fumbling around getting familiar with the main menu setup.I must have spent a ratio of 5:1 going through menus to just racing.

The outdated GT system since the first is here as well. I want to buy a damn truck to race in one of the restricted events, but I CAN'T find it anywhere in the dealership or the use car dealership. Why must they make it so hard & cumbersome to get in a car & just race a events?

I was ready to quit the game & sell it off until I got a really good car & experienced some of the premium tracks. Definitely on a different level.

Also are the car physics going to be bumper cars throughout? I remember something about a realistic version being unlocked after a certain level?

It's bad enough that I have to spend HOURS messing around with Vitz & Mini-Coopers like with the previous GT games, but having a new leveling system that restricts you on what you can buy is a kick in the nuts.

My impressions have been a roller coaster so far. My first time booting it up & playing a time trail race was Holy crap this all looks good. Looks much better than Forza 4. Cleaner, sharper, higher res textures & the cars & lighting are a noticeable step better. Nice cockpit view too.

Then I go into career mode. Holy crap this shit is bad. Standard PS2 modeled cars on a standard PS2 modeled track. Getting a messily $3,000, only to buy another crap car needed for another crap restricted race event.

I played all the main GT games & this has by far the worst menu system know to man, I literally spent an hour just fumbling around getting familiar with the main menu setup.I must have spent a ratio of 5:1 going through menus to just racing.

The outdated GT system since the first is here as well. I want to buy a damn truck to race in one of the restricted events, but I CAN'T find it anywhere in the dealership or the use car dealership. Why must they make it so hard & cumbersome to get in a car & just race a events?

I was ready to quit the game & sell it off until I got a really good car & experienced some of the premium tracks. Definitely on a different level.

Also are the car physics going to be bumper cars throughout? I remember something about a realistic version being unlocked after a certain level?

There's no mechanical damage in A-spec.

I'm talking about the way you it barriers & cars. I bounce off them like bumper cars.
I'm doing the old wall sliding technique from the olden GT games. Instead of braking I go in full speed & just bounce of the walls with no problems.

What did you expect it would happen when there's no damage?

And you don't "bounce" off other cars.

Mxrz

The wall sliding thing? Most tracks have grass/sand in gt5, I'd think it would be slower. But yeah you can probably break the game if you try, I guess.

It might be lame on some levels, but I've been feeding myself '67 tickets along with the paints lately. I never got around to buying the Mark IV (or the Ferrari F1s) during the x3 credit days. The 21/24/1000 tickets worth bothering with?

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Got my GT5, after 3 hours of updates and install times I finally hit the track. I haven't played since the original Japanese demo a few years ago. So far is great. Some parts don't look as good as the demo did, but overall its beautiful. The photo mode made me say wow and I use pics as my wallpaper for ps3.

gokieks

Ticket 1000 is the best ticket in the game in that it has a chance to give you any car (provided you have enough patience to keep reloading the save until you get the one you want). The only cars you can get out of Lv. 24 ticket are the Ferrari Formula Ones and the Formula GT, which can save you quite a bit of money if you're still needing one of those. Lv. 21 is kind of a shitty ticket because the Premium NASCARs that you can buy (cheaply) make up a huge portion of the cars of that level, but there are a few other nice cars you can get out of it, and you can use it to get the Ferrari 330 P4 without paying the 20 million credits. Lv. 23 is the best out of the level tickets though, since most of the Group C/LM cars are that level.

And, of course, the non-specific-car tickets can be gifted (and thus can be duped), so you can use them to get a lot of nice cars given enough time/patience.

Angst

I'm talking about the way you it barriers & cars. I bounce off them like bumper cars.
I'm doing the old wall sliding technique from the olden GT games. Instead of braking I go in full speed & just bounce of the walls with no problems.

Sounds like loads of fun! Please don't join us in the NRL races though.

magawolaz

[...]

Anyways, thanks for the quick reply!
Well, 2+ hours from your post... :lol

You are welcome. Anyway, from what I heard both AMG & License tests are "goldable" with the Dualshock; but I'm not so sure about Vettel...

Kinda like what's the point in having 12 cars on screen when you are always in front & never see them.
1) See what kind of cars are you going to race with
2) Use similar/competitive car (and, most importantly, same tyres!)
3) Avoid crash/wall sliding/car sliding
4) Enjoy! :)

Sounds like loads of fun! Please don't join us in the NRL races though.

offshore

1) See what kind of cars are you going to race with
2) Use similar/competitive car (and, most importantly, same tyres!)
3) Avoid crash/wall sliding/car sliding
4) Enjoy! :)

It should not be up to the player to have to recreate a close race; it should be up to the game. There are 1000 cars in the game, it should not be hard for GT5 to recreate challenging races based on what car and specifications the player enters the race with.

It's funny because in one of the early updates they made the walls ultra sticky to prevent people from rubberbanding the oval endurance race and it's really noticeable :)

Emwitus

It should not be up to the player to have to recreate a close race; it should be up to the game. There are 1000 cars in the game, it should not be hard for GT5 to recreate challenging races based on what car and specifications the player enters the race with.

So you want the game to force you to use a specific car for a race?

offshore

So you want the game to force you to use a specific car for a race?

Did you misunderstand my post? I want the game to let you choose what car you want to race with, and then have GT5 adapt to that. I posted an example ages ago where I showed up to the European Championship in a 458 Italia thinking I'll be in for a close race. Who am I racing against? Volvo's, Golf's and SL Coupe's.

Why should I have to go back and change cars just because GT5's AI scaling is garbage? I want to race in a 458 Italia, therefore the game should be picking cars similar in power to mine to enable close racing. GT5 is littered with this.

Did you misunderstand my post? I want the game to let you choose what car you want to race with, and then have GT5 adapt to that. I posted an example ages ago where I showed up to the European Championship in a 458 Italia thinking I'll be in for a close race. Who am I racing against? Volvo's, Golf's and SL Coupe's.

Why should I have to go back and change cars just because GT5's AI scaling is garbage? I want to race in a 458 Italia, therefore the game should be picking cars similar in power to mine to enable close racing. GT5 is littered with this.

You wouldn't have needed to change cars if you looked at the Opponents list.

Kaz wanted a career progression for A-spec, you can't have that if you could choose whatever car you want and AI changed accordingly. Zonda races on the "Beginners" tier? Doesn't make alot of sense. That's what arcade is for.

Niks

Subaru BRZ GT300

Oh sh...

DLC Pretty Please?

Do want.
Looks like Subaru took a look at GT5 trailers to make this one. OR maybe PD helped them? They have the same style.

Car looks great.

Anyone who is kinda interested in participating in the NRL, please take a look at the race recap. Great racing.

Here are some shots from the races.

9YPuI.jpg

uh50F.jpg

d9o9r.jpg

6T1MK.jpg

jvz4t.jpg

QJZo4.jpg

offshore

You wouldn't have needed to change cars if you looked at the Opponents list

You're not serious, right? What's the point of calling it a European Championship - and making it open to every European car - if I'm expected to show up in a specific car? It's open to every European car, so I want to pick a 458 Italia, GT5 should then say, "they've picked a 458 Italia, so let's pick opponent cars will similar performance to give a close race".

That you're saying it should be up to me to adapt to the conditions and not the other way around is just insane.

magawolaz

Personally I don't like that the game changes cars on the grid because of the car used by the player; rather than that, I'd prefer (more) restrictions.

XexzC.jpg

Emwitus

I dont get this point at all. The game is alot easier because people use cars that are over powered compared to the AI. EVERY GAME IN EXISTENCE HAS BAD AI. That's not gonna change until their is innovation in artificial intelligene in computing. Until then we can only have who has a better scripted with limited autonomy ai. I don't care what anyone says.

The Seasonal Events are a life saver. I'm getting decent money & leveling up at a good rate.
When was this event added? I know the game originally shipped without it.

I seem to be missing something, but after I finish a single race in a Seasonal Event & exit the after race screen, it kicks me out all the way to the main menu. I have to reselect Seasonal Events & find the event I was at to continue the rest of the races. I can't just back out after a race to Seasonal Events anyway?

Also what's up with the "time & date not set correctly" message I get every time I start the game? I'm connected online & it looks to be set correctly, but I keep getting that message.

Oh yeah, how do I get more cars to appear in the used card lot? I want some of the super cars & rare exotics, but I just keep getting a small list of the same cars.

You're not serious, right? What's the point of calling it a European Championship - and making it open to every European car - if I'm expected to show up in a specific car? It's open to every European car, so I want to pick a 458 Italia, GT5 should then say, "they've picked a 458 Italia, so let's pick opponent cars will similar performance to give a close race".
Are you?

They already told you what cars the opponents would pick. Why would they change it aftwards?

They could have added more entry restrictions I guess, but if someone wants to fly through the AI I say let them, doesn't mean you have to.

That you're saying it should be up to me to adapt to the conditions and not the other way around is just insane.

How the hell is that insane? 99% of video games has you adapting to the conditions the game provides you. Just because the game (mistakenly or not) lets you use a more powerful car doesn't mean the race, that's supposed to be the way it is, suddenly has to change.

I seem to be missing something, but after I finish a single race in a Seasonal Event & exit the after race screen, it kicks me out all the way to the main menu. I have to reselect Seasonal Events & find the event I was at to continue the rest of the races. I can't just back out after a race to Seasonal Events anyway?

Stupid overlapse on PDs part. Might have to do with the fact that all those races are obtained online and are not saved on the PS3.

Also what's up with the "time & date not set correctly" message I get every time I start the game? I'm connected online & it looks to be set correctly, but I keep getting that message.

Make sure your daylight savings settings are correct.

Oh yeah, how do I get more cars to appear in the used card lot? I want some of the super cars & rare exotics, but I just keep getting a small list of the same cars.

You get 6 new cars every time you do an event.

Polyphony

The Seasonal Events are a life saver. I'm getting decent money & leveling up at a good rate.
When was this event added? I know the game originally shipped without it.

Seasonal events came about a month after release, and have been constantly updated since.

The main menu still has some annoying quirks. Exiting an online race used to bring you back to the main screen, but they fixed it so that it reverts back to the lobby selection. They didn't fix this for Seasonal events nor Used car dealership though.

To fix the time and date thing, make sure your PS3 doesn't have a manually assigned time. Update the console time by internet and make sure your daylight savings box is checked accordingly.

For the used cars, it's a lottery and it's annoying I agree. I'm not sure what PD was thinking, perhaps they're trying to simulate a real used vehicle dealership where certain models appear at random before being sold off to other drivers? But at least, the online dealership is being updated biweekly with a different theme, and offers a good selection of cars.

2scoops

Well, 2+ hours from your post... :lol

You are welcome. Anyway, from what I heard both AMG & License tests are "goldable" with the Dualshock; but I'm not so sure about Vettel...

2 hours is quick enough lol

I got half my AMG golds with the Dualshock, some were pretty frustrating though. Managed to bronze Vettel with the Dualshock...not something i want to do again. I was making up all kinds of swear words...

offshore

They already told you what cars the opponents would pick. Why would they change it aftwards?
Because they shouldn't do that in the first place. What is the point of making an event open to a whole continent of cars, only for GT5 to consistently choose the same small group of cars for you to race against, and not adapt to what car the player chooses? That is beyond stupid, and makes no sense whatsoever.
I dont get this point at all. The game is alot easier because people use cars that are over powered compared to the AI. EVERY GAME IN EXISTENCE HAS BAD AI. That's not gonna change until their is innovation in artificial intelligene in computing. Until then we can only have who has a better scripted with limited autonomy ai. I don't care what anyone says.
Well...what's the point of the game then? What's the point of A-Spec races? What's the point of Special Event races? What's the point of the Seasonal Event races? Yes, games have bad AI, but GT5 exacerbates the problem by not even attempting to scale properly to the player's car. As it stands, 90% of GT5 is racing against AI opponents; what they should do then is allow A-Spec events to be completed online.

At least that way we'd get to progress through the game online, not race against AI, and get plenty of credits to boot. The online payout in open lobbies is still absolutely pathetic....and that's even with the 60% + 200% logon boost.

gokieks

Because they shouldn't do that in the first place. What is the point of making an event open to a whole continent of cars, only for GT5 to consistently choose the same small group of cars for you to race against, and not adapt to what car the player chooses? That is beyond stupid, and makes no sense whatsoever.

Well...what's the point of the game then? What's the point of A-Spec races? What's the point of Special Event races? What's the point of the Seasonal Event races? Yes, games have bad AI, but GT5 exacerbates the problem by not even attempting to scale properly to the player's car. As it stands, 90% of GT5 is racing against AI opponents; what they should do then is allow A-Spec events to be completed online.

At least that way we'd get to progress through the game online, not race against AI, and get plenty of credits to boot. The online payout in open lobbies is still absolutely pathetic....and that's even with the 60% + 200% logon boost.

Because they want to give people options. Some people might want to just blow through all the early "boring" events so they can get to the later ones. If they want to go take a McLaren F1 to beat a bunch of Minis, the game gives them that choice. If you want to have a competitive race, you can look at the list of cars that you will be going up against, and then go buy a Mini yourself or some other comparable car. Everybody wins.

Your inability to stop yourself from using the easiest option to win a race is not a failing of the game.

Top Bottom