• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Isn't that Japan exclusive. Won't do much then. It boggles my mind it's not being released in Europe.

It is, but a refreshed release is a lock for PAL/NA, it's just a question of when. $39.99 with DLC and patches on disk would do great, not releasing for Christmas is missing out on sales.

Interesting that they updated it for September and not December like last time. The game started popping out again in Euro charts around October so that's missing some considerable sales. Should be past 8M now.

Too bad we won't ever get revenue numbers. Although according to these numbers it's quite clear that GT's impact in NA/Japan is steadily falling. Asia isn't big enough to compensate.

gogogow

Interesting that they updated it for September and not December like last time. The game started popping out again in Euro charts around October so that's missing some considerable sales. Should be past 8M now.

Kinda doubt that. 1 million added after 9 months. I highly doubt they would ship another 700k in just a month. It's an extremely frontloaded game. It still did great numbers, that's what matters in the end.

Kinda doubt that. 1 million added after 9 months. I highly doubt they would ship another 700k in just a month. It's an extremely frontloaded game. It still did great numbers, that's what matters in the end.

A month? It's 3. And it did 1 million without charting, like I said, it only started popping out in charts again around October for several weeks.

And what do you mean front loaded? You think these sales are still from the initial shipments? That's insane.

gogogow

A month? It's 3. And it did 1 million without charting, like I said, it only started popping out in charts again around October for several weeks.

And what do you mean front loaded? You think these sales are still from the initial shipments? That's insane.

It didn't "do" 1 million withouth charting. Charting means sold to consumers. Sony SHIPPED another million. As of December 2010 6.37 million were shipped. Between Jan and September 2011 another million was shipped. 87.2% of 7.3 million copies were shipped in it's first 5 weeks out of the 41 weeks. That looks frontloaded to me and since when does frontloaded mean "from initial shipment"?

It didn't "do" 1 million withouth charting. Charting means sold to consumers. Sony SHIPPED another million. As of December 2010 6.37 million were shipped. Between Jan and September 2011 another million was shipped.
It's sold to costumers even without charting... But the point is charting means it's selling better then usually and that translates into more shipped copies to fill the void, it'll all end up the same.

87.2% of 7.3 million copies were shipped in it's first 5 weeks out of the 41 weeks. That looks frontloaded to me and since when does frontloaded mean "from initial shipment"?
And you have no idea how well it sold to say it was front loaded or not. The initial shipments of 5.5 Million could have sold in half that time for all we know. The fact that it's up to 7.3 just means it all sold out, and then some.

And for the record Polyphony digital website doesn't even mention if it's shipped or sold. Not that it matters, shipped to retailers = money in the bank.

SkylineRKR

GT5 reappeared on European charts during the last few months. The legs aren't as strong as past GT's, but still better than a majority of other games out there.

The Japanese sales are alarming though, GT5 didn't even outsell its Prologue disc. USA shows decline as well. GT6 really needs a more universal car selection methinks. But even in Europe, I felt the game didn't have the same buzz and effect as the previous entries. But also got to say the industry changed, some certain FPS games are simply a bigger deal nowadays.

Having said that, GT5 is a different beast than the game that launched last year. I rebought it when Spec II was out and enjoyed it more than ever. I'm anticipating the Scirocco, its a brilliant car.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I think the only way you could define GT5 DLC after over a year of being released is "sparse and disappointing"

What a let down, yet not surprising in the least.

Ya, they should have held back 30 premium cars and sold them as DLC starting a week after release.

offshore

SkylineRKR said:
GT6 really needs a more universal car selection methinks.

And improved customisation, personalisation, tuning and modification...

We need that livery editor in GT6. It would give the online community such a massive shot in the arm.

AndyD

aka andydumi

We need that livery editor in GT6. It would give the online community such a massive shot in the arm.

Yes, there are a lot of refinements they can/need to make for 6 now that the foundation is there with 5. And all their statements about how 5 is a foundation on which we can build and all that is making me more unforgiving for 6. The expectations are rising because they are setting them up that way.

Livery editor and a solid track editor/generator is a must. I also want a more robust garage system instead of the hub, make it a garage building/setup we can customize and show off favorites. It was something I was hoping for after they showed off the hangar and other multicar locations and we got nothing of the sort.

As to DLC, $1 a car is steep. Too steep for almost rehashes anyway. It is not looking good after these two DLC sets.

Mxrz

Seems like PD blurred the line between Arcade and GT/career mode themselves. In GT5, arcade feels superior to GT/career mode in every way. Likely because the only difference seems to be Arcade lets the player decide what cars, tracks, and ai. Which is a lot more rewarding than racing Like the Wind or Sunday cup over and over.

For me, I buy cars in GT/career because I have to. While the fun comes from online & arcade races. Career mode is just kind of bleh after you do it once, but you have to do it get new cars. PD needs to rethink something somewhere. I mean, I love GT5 for the driving/racing experience, but christ could the rest of it use some help.

Mobius 1

I like well done liveries, but can't stand the deluge of anime characters and poorly replicated logos on the large majority of user generated liveries. On a photorealistic game like GT5 it would stick out like a sore thumb leaking pus.

coldfoot

Banned
IF they can have a Track editor, why not an event editor? Just like having a mp lobby, but with AI. They can stop manually generating an event every week and just let people create and share their own events.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Lol, I just got this calender reminder. I guess I copied and pasted this as a calender reminder a year a go today. How hauntingly relevant my statements still are.

In all honesty I think a lot of Japanese developers have needed help this generation, I don't think I have seen such a slow turn out of games for some of them.

Kojima had the right idea of bringing some help in during development to improve the game and make it more suitable for a western audience, SCEJ as a whole need to seriously hire some more staff for their teams and actually get games and content out the door for the platform and no 4-5 years into it.

I kinda understand if they want to keep everything in house and not outsource, but considering the money the GT franchise brings in you would have think the team would be much larger and aimed to get out more full releases than what looks like to be one GT for the PS3.

Dead Man

Seems like PD blurred the line between Arcade and GT/career mode themselves. In GT5, arcade feels superior to GT/career mode in every way. Likely because the only difference seems to be Arcade lets the player decide what cars, tracks, and ai. Which is a lot more rewarding than racing Like the Wind or Sunday cup over and over.

For me, I buy cars in GT/career because I have to. While the fun comes from online & arcade races. Career mode is just kind of bleh after you do it once, but you have to do it get new cars. PD needs to rethink something somewhere. I mean, I love GT5 for the driving/racing experience, but christ could the rest of it use some help.

Exactly. The meat of it is now in Arcade and Online, but you have to grind A/Bspec for money. Stupid.

offshore

I like well done liveries, but can't stand the deluge of anime characters and poorly replicated logos on the large majority of user generated liveries. On a photorealistic game like GT5 it would stick out like a sore thumb leaking pus.

Well, GT has to do something, because every time I boot up GT5 - which is pretty much every night - I get the urge to customise and personalise my car in a way no-one else could; but then I realise I can't, because GT's idea of personalisation is a monotone paint chip and assigning your car a number between 1-99. That's pathetic.

They could always add an option for you to turn displayed liveries On/Off. Photomode is the reason why GT needs a livery editior, for those people who can show off their work in even greater detail and quality. Sure, some liveries are going to be better than others, but that shouldn't mean you deprive a large section of the audience a very necessary and long overdue feature.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
It doesn't make any sense, sorry.

XP is something you obtain in the both A/B-Spec career or Career-based events and you only "need" them for the Career.

Arcade mode is Arcade mode. Two universes.

On the other hand, there should definitely be XP/Cr bonuses for finished One Make Races in the A-Spec Practice mode.

Whatever, it makes all the sense in the world when it's the only way to have an enjoyable SP experience.
Want to talk semantics, fine, then call it differently if that's so oh my god important to you, make space for a blade or another spot in the UI and call it Custom A-Spec: doesn't change what we're aiming for which is fixing the retarded decision of leaving us with a cut-down SP experience as the only way to earn credits and XP, basically forcing us to endure a chore and taking time away to play with proper handling/tire/grip simulation, damage, good AI, standing starts and so on.

Please Kaz, no custom liveries in my GT. At max make RM's have 2/3 choices of livery and dualtone/tri-tone options.

And I concur that practice mode should have absorbed arcade mode (with all it's options).

---

I thought they'd follow their Cars/Tracks/Paints/Clothes model every 2 months, but lowering the number of items. How dissappointed I am. :(

Toxa

for the next update :

- they must fix the tyre wear issue

-improve the AI, the AI is fine but damn too slow !!! the AI must brake later and reduce their laptimes to give more challenge

-it's time bring new championship for the seasonal events, with 10 laps or more with tyre wear enable for pit stop.

-bring mechanical damages for A-spec

Marco1

What worries me id that if they outsource the work for car models will be the inconsistency within different models.
Look at the F40 in turn 10 for instance, it's an abomination for one of the greatest cars ever made.
PD have gotten that model so right.

Dead Man

What worries me id that if they outsource the work for car models will be the inconsistency within different models.
Look at the F40 in turn 10 for instance, it's an abomination for one of the greatest cars ever made.
PD have gotten that model so right.

Can't be worse than the disconnect between Premium and Standard as it is now.

offshore

No, man, options are bad, objectively, factually, whatever other word people misuse to convey emphasis on message boards, bad. Options only spoil the intended experience!

Heaven forfend that we should have options in GT games! It only took 15 years for PD to add some options when in race pause menu...

I can't imagine the install base for PS3s outside of Japan being very large. South Korea, Hong Kong, and Taiwan probably makes up for the vast majority of it.

I meant compared to previous GT sales, thats a massive surge considering PS3 is still way behind PS2 in Asian countries.

i-Lo

As much as I am loving GT5, I have to say that the UI is terrible. There are so many unnecessary extra steps that are needed to accomplish a task, be it significant or menial. It makes enjoying non-racing segment of the game deliberately harder.

Dead Man

Heaven forfend that we should have options in GT games! It only took 15 years for PD to add some options when in race pause menu...
And that is all the options you should ever need!!

Obviously.

Inconsistance is GT's big problem. Not Forza's.

Haven't played Forza yet, but I do think it is silly that people raise the objection about quality of model when arguing against outsourcing some of the modelling. The standard cars make a mockery of that argument.

It's a different type of "disconnect" though. Standards, while graphically lacking, are at least accurate.

Are you actually trying to say that outsourcing some models would result in cars which are less accurate than the standards? The 40 monkeys PD has are the only people on the planet that can model cars accurately? No sir, I don't buy it. I also don't buy that they are that accurate. The compromises made in polygon count alone ensure that. Unless you consider a box of the exact dimensions of the car to be accurate.

Are you actually trying to say that outsourcing some models would result in cars which are less accurate than the standards? The 40 monkeys PD has are the only people on the planet that can model cars accurately? No sir, I don't buy it. I also don't buy that they are that accurate. The compromises made in polygon count alone ensure that. Unless you consider a box of the exact dimensions of the car to be accurate.

I don't believe I said any of those things.

And compromises to the polygon counts won't change dimensions, have incorrect wheels and porpotions, etc. It'll only make them less detailed/round.

You know, options can confuse the users.

Yes, that's why GT5 is filled with them, enough to have 3 different menus just for lobby settings. If you're gonna make a joke, make one that actually makes sense.

Dead Man, case and point:
rimsm.jpg

4310689639_fb7ae840d4_b.jpg

Real, Forza, standard.

yogaflame

GT the real Nissan experience. GT just like Final Fantasy , dying franchises. Forza is a mile ahead of GT and won tons of awards. Gt is still on the 90's era. Gt 6 will probably just another Nissan experience

Yes, that's why GT5 is filled with them, enough to have 3 different menus just for lobby settings. If you're gonna make a joke, make one that actually makes sense.

Dead Man, case and point:
rimsm.jpg

4310689639_fb7ae840d4_b.jpg

Real, Forza, standard.
Ah, MM! How I missed you and your always serious responses. Always defending your king, very honorable. Keep it up, one day you'll be rewarded for your efforts.

Ah, MM! How I missed you and your always serious responses. Always defending your king, very honorable. Keep it up, one day you'll be rewarded for your efforts.

You should take a look at all ur posts in any gt thread. And please do let me know when I say something that's factually wrong. The only reward I need is showing how stupid and trollish most of ur posts are

You should take a look at all ur posts in any gt thread. And please do let me know when I say something that's factually wrong. The only reward I need is showing how stupid and trollish most of ur posts are
If that's rewarding to you, than I kinda pity you. Now that the search and post history is back feel free to search for my trollish posts. I'm sure you don't have anything better to do.

But what I really wanted to say, you should lighten the fuck up, man. In the end, it's just a game.
E: And just for you, when I read offshore's post, I immediately thought about the no HUD option and how long it took to be implemented and even after that it's still not perfect. Is that better for you, my little samurai?

If that's rewarding to you, than I kinda pity you. Now that the search and post history is back feel free to search for my trollish posts. I'm sure you don't have anything better to do.

But what I really wanted to say, you should lighten the fuck up, man. In the end, it's just a game.

Its not the game, its how you constantly show up in this thread from time to time to ONLY take jabs at the game or us that still play it. Its getting really old.

Top Bottom