• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

This one is gonna piss alot of people off but, you can't race online on the DLC tracks anymore if you haven't bought them.

Free ride is over.

web01

This one is gonna piss alot of people off but, you can't race online on the DLC tracks anymore if you haven't bought them.

Free ride is over.

Oh damn that is so much fail.
But was it supposed to be like this in the first place or was it glitch? I cannot remember them advertising it as free for everyone online.

Toxa

for the new page

my test nsx rm at autumn ring :

racing soft:
best lap 1.17.
7 laps tyres wear is about 50% your lap times really start to collapse
10 laps tyres wear is getting critical lap time 1.21 (you must go to pit now or earlier)
lifetime 13 maybe 15 laps (not sure) with really slow laptime

racing hard :
best lap 1.19
10 laps lap time 1.21
13 laps tyres wear is about 50% your lap times really start to collapse
18 laps tyres wear is getting critical
lifetime 21 laps at least

so with 20 laps you can stay on the track throughout the entire race with racing hard
pit stop (1 or 2) necessary with soft

I'm a bit confused by the family upgrade, I just have one questions.

If I have an EU disc and bought it on an EU account, can I still use the DLC if I want to play the game on my alt US account or a different region within EU? Like UK.

Its coming with the PSN store update tomorrow (or today based on your local time), there's an FAQ on GT site regarding this..

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/support/d6150.html

Don't believe so.

"*Please note that to purchase the DLC and the Family Upgrade, the region of your GT5 disc (Regions: Europe, North America, Japan, Asia) and the region of the PSN account which is used to sign in to the PlayStation®Store (selected when setting the address during account creation) must match. For example, if a user who owns the North American disc purchases the DLCs and Family Upgrade with an account that has a UK address and location, they will not be able to use the DLC using the North American game disc."

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/support/d38743.html
It only applies for purchasing, not actually playing it. Thats always been the way with all PS3 games and dlcs.

tusken77

yr45m.jpg

The Christmas card encapsulates Gran Turismo. Attention to detail, care, absolute class and that feeling of belonging to something very special indeed.

Kaz, have I told you how much I love you lately?

I've not had too much time to explore the update yet but I'm loving the fully customisable HUD. So sweet. Bye bye driver list!

Audioboxer

How much more do you guys think Kaz & PD can tweak/change up the GT5 engine? Since launch they've done quite a lot to change the core game, I'm wondering how much room there is left for overhauling it?

Secondly a question about AI, has anyone ever seen pole position AI slip up or make any "human like" mistakes to lose a lead?

Putty

Great little update! The sound has really been improved drastically! I never had any real issues previously but the difference here is pretty substantial. The definition is really crisp especially on a 5.1 system. You can really differentiate the sounds and pinpoint exactly which speaker is playing what sound. Tire skid sounds are reallly panned beautifully. Replays also benefit hugley from the sound tweaks! All the other GUI tweaks are again all very helpful in the bigger scheme of things. To be honest, i don't think theres THAT much left that they can apply a simple fix. Maybe a new GT related thread with peoples main GUI gripes could be good start, and who knows, the right eyes might one day stumble across! For me going forward in terms of additional content, i'd like more tracks (would still like some of the current courses spruced up to be near the quality of Spa), cars of course, but a nice big A-Spec update with all new events would be sweet, incorporating any DLC tracks also (might make a few peeps still on the fence flash their cash). But this time with a more balanced track selection as i think there were many tracks that were just too underused.

Sorc3r3r

Best game support ever.

Absolutely, this is how you build a loyal community, strenghten your leadership position and, at the same time, give to other SHs an exemple on how to...
PD is acting like a true leader in the whole biz.

The Christmas card encapsulates Gran Turismo. Attention to detail, care, absolute class and that feeling of belonging to something very special indeed.

Kaz, have I told you how much I love you lately?

I've not had too much time to explore the update yet but I'm loving the fully customisable HUD. So sweet. Bye bye driver list!

See above ^^, i loved the christmas card too.

Audίoboxer;33612982 said:
How much more do you guys think Kaz & PD can tweak/change up the GT5 engine? Since launch they've done quite a lot to change the core game, I'm wondering how much room there is left for overhauling it?

Secondly a question about AI, has anyone ever seen pole position AI slip up or make any "human like" mistakes to lose a lead?

I think they have very little space left, instead the shadows would have been fixed long time ago.

For the second question no, i've never seen the pole A.I. doing some mistake under pressure, this for the A-spec.
In the very low level B-spec AI instead, yes,happened.

What i hope now is an online revolution, with clan/club support, official race tournament, fast online race with matchmaking, filter based on A-spec level or/and a valutation system bound to every player to divide destruction derby players from the ones that are fair.

Do that PD and i can stay on your GT5 till....GT6.

Anyone else feel as if the display has slowed down a little? Like in terms of FPS? It might just be me but it doesn't look like 60(ish) and smooth as the last time I played it...

Also tried out the filters 'glitch' pretty cool and also pretty annoying at the same time.

Also, found "AI car temperament" in arcade settings. New?

Have they forced ON rolling starts for arcade races now too? That sucks if true.

Audioboxer

Absolutely, this is how you build a loyal community,
I think they have very little space left, instead the shadows would have been fixed long time ago.

For the second question no, i've never seen the pole A.I. doing some mistake under pressure, this for the A-spec.
In the very low level B-spec AI instead, yes,happened.

What i hope now is an online revolution, with clan/club support, official race tournament, fast online race with matchmaking, filter based on A-spec level or/and a valutation system bound to every player to divide destruction derby players from the ones that are fair.

Do that PD and i can stay on your GT5 till....GT6.

I was under the impression the smoke/shadows are more of a PS3 hardware restriction in how it handles alpha channels is it? If so, even with more memory it might not be fixable as such?

With future updates I was thinking along the lines of does anyone think we'll get new game modes/bikes or something fairly drastic? Or bug fixes and smaller community requests from here on out?

Angst

Great little update! The sound has really been improved drastically! I never had any real issues previously but the difference here is pretty substantial. The definition is really crisp especially on a 5.1 system. You can really differentiate the sounds and pinpoint exactly which speaker is playing what sound. Tire skid sounds are reallly panned beautifully. Replays also benefit hugley from the sound tweaks! All the other GUI tweaks are again all very helpful in the bigger scheme of things. To be honest, i don't think theres THAT much left that they can apply a simple fix. Maybe a new GT related thread with peoples main GUI gripes could be good start, and who knows, the right eyes might one day stumble across! For me going forward in terms of additional content, i'd like more tracks (would still like some of the current courses spruced up to be near the quality of Spa), cars of course, but a nice big A-Spec update with all new events would be sweet, incorporating any DLC tracks also (might make a few peeps still on the fence flash their cash). But this time with a more balanced track selection as i think there were many tracks that were just too underused.

Bolded part makes me happy! Can't wait to try the new features out tomorrow. Car pack releases tonight in the EU right?

gogogow

Turning the "suggested gear" display HUD on/off doesn't do anything :( Isn't that the HUD on the bottom right of the screen? It just stays there.

magawolaz

Bolded part makes me happy! Can't wait to try the new features out tomorrow. Car pack releases tonight in the EU right?
Probably tomorrow, with the Store update (usually 4:00pm GMT)

Maybe tonight in US, but I'm not sure. GT website says December 21st pretty much everywhere

offshore

It's a shame the Pace Car lights don't react with the environment though. Still, was pretty cool cruising round the Ring with lights flashing this morning ^^

So fucking excited though, can't wait to race against friends tonight with the new changes. Have I mentioned how new chase cam is fucking awesome?

gogogow said:
Turning the "suggested gear" display HUD on/off doesn't do anything :( Isn't that the HUD on the bottom right of the screen? It just stays there.

The suggested gear is the flashing red light, that's what you can turn on/off.

gogogow

The suggested gear is the flashing red light, that's what you can turn on/off.

:(

There's like 7 HUDS on the bottom of the screen. PD should allow us to turn each of them on/off. In the end I can only turn off the name list. The four HUDs in the bottom left corner needs to stay because of the tyre indication, which I need, since i'm doing the 9 Hour Tsukuba Endurance race. I'm driving in cockpit view I really don't need a lot them HUDs :(

Still, it's a good start. Baby steps I guess.

amar212

Yet, expected.

Yes, what Brokasten said below.

And one more time, thank you for using my B-Spec drivers, you good sir have made me millions with 200% bonus :D

Best game support ever.

Probably, I agree. This level of improvement - and official announcement how everything to this point is only a start - is really a role model. Although many will say how it was necessary - because of the issues game had in start - it just shows how important and serious PD is in what they do.

Audίoboxer;33612982 said:

I can list few things that come to my mind instantly, neither asking for big compromises (at least I think not): gearbox sounds, real-time toggle of HUD, Cape Ring tracks in Reverse versions, official matchmaking races (as in Prologue), Paint Shop facility, point-to-point Course Maker courses with auto-generating for Private Lobbies (would be blast in Free Run mode and chasing other's times with other players watching in Spectator mode), Team Options for Private Lobbies (2 players can exchange on drivers seat during pit-stop - since host-migration is non-issue in GT5, this one would probably work as pie)...

Best thing about the new sound is relocation of the source-sound for the engine and other cars. Now you have engine roaring from the back for MR/RR models, exact tire-noise from the surround channels and perfect recreation of sound changing direction and sway as other cars are travelling in front/behind you.

Audίoboxer;33613689 said:
I was under the impression the smoke/shadows are more of a PS3 hardware restriction in how it handles alpha channels is it? If so, even with more memory it might not be fixable as such?

can't be as other ps3 racing games have higher quality smoke and shadows.

i haven't been able to play gt5 for ages since my pedal unit packed up. the wheel is completely dead when it's plugged in and alive when not. logitech wouldn't even replace it - the fucking grotty cunts, the g25 was the last thing i'll ever buy from them.

in fanatec i'll trust

Atruvius

PD added sparks! I'm just racing on Daytona and an opponent smashes to wall and a bunch of spark fly. Looked amazing! I'm so glad I bought this during the summer. This game is still just amazing!

Solal

I like this update and the continuous support PD gives to GT5 one year after release... though I would NEVER see this as the best support ever ! Come on guys.

Most of the updates are fixing stuff that were broken/incomplete. One year after, we get something that looks like what it should have been from the start.

There are still so many things that are wrong with the UI, It kills me to not see them being corrected.

And the whole online experience is far from perfect...not even excellent. Absolutly not user friendly. Look at Autolog to see what a powerful online integration is.

Anyway: i still think that these continuous updates made the game way better...

The DLC cars are a joke though... serioulsy.

gogogow

There are still so many things that are wrong with the UI, It kills me to not see them being corrected.

wouldn't a simple re-arrangements of the icons would make it a lot better already? Personally I don't have too much problem with it, but I understand the UI is a bit impractical with lots of unnecessary steps being made by the user just to get to a certain icon.

How many of the 4 new cars are actually not "new" cars?

wouldn't a simple re-arrangements of the icons would make it a lot better already? Personally I don't have too much problem with it, but I understand the UI is a bit impractical with lots of unnecessary steps being made by the user just to get to a certain icon.

How many of the 4 new cars are actually not "new" cars?

Well, they're all "new" but there's old models of the GTR and Mini already.

Also, don't mind Solal, check his post history and you'll understand.

can't be as other ps3 racing games have higher quality smoke and shadows.

i haven't been able to play gt5 for ages since my pedal unit packed up. the wheel is completely dead when it's plugged in and alive when not. logitech wouldn't even replace it - the fucking grotty cunts, the g25 was the last thing i'll ever buy from them.

in fanatec i'll trust
I find that hard to believe oO They replaced my G25 for a G27 for free, and it was out of warranty already. Were you you're usual charming self when talking to them? lol

Also the aliasing on the smoke IS a problem with the PS3 hardware, many games have the same issue. Other games just do smoke differently, which is not necessarily better.

gogogow

Well, they're all "new" but there's old models of the GTR and Mini already.

Also, don't mind Solal, check his post history and you'll understand.

I see, thanks. But the new GTR and Mini's polygonal model is different then the old ones on disc? I wonder if the new Mini Cooper got it's polygonal edges smoothed out. It was pretty obvious PD kinda rushed that model.

Also the aliasing on the smoke IS a problem with the PS3 hardware, many games have the same issue. Other games just do smoke differently, which is not necessarily better.
I agree, the smoke in GT5 is totally insane. How much there is and sticks for a very long time compared to like....uh....all the console racing games out there, no idea about some of the PC simulators though.

Just the fact that when you finish a seasonal it doesn't kick you back to the home screen already makes me ultra happy.
I don't know if I'll bite the DLC tomorrow though. I just want the new Golf from the pack. :(

gogogow

Just the fact that when you finish a seasonal it doesn't kick you back to the home screen already makes me ultra happy.
I don't know if I'll bite the DLC tomorrow though. I just want the new Golf from the pack. :(

Really? Thank god for that update. I really hate it how i'm kicked out of the Seasonal Event menu. Still I can't experience it myself, have been doing an endurance race for days....

I like this update and the continuous support PD gives to GT5 one year after release... though I would NEVER see this as the best support ever ! Come on guys.

Most of the updates are fixing stuff that were broken/incomplete. One year after, we get something that looks like what it should have been from the start.

And the whole online experience is far from perfect...not even excellent. Absolutly not user friendly. Look at Autolog to see what a powerful online integration is.

*sigh*

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Great update but I wish they could make the rain look better, it looks alright but on the side windows looks terrible.

Does anyone know where to get the Spec 2.0 version of 5oul on D!splay or did they never release it?

gogogow

Great update but I wish they could make the rain look better, it looks alright but on the side windows looks terrible.

Does anyone know where to get the Spec 2.0 version of 5oul on D!splay or did they never release it?

I agree, the rain on the windows doesn't exactly look great, but it's a nice start, they can always improve it in the next GT. PD pretty much put in everything that was missing in the previous iterations.

- damage - in GT6, glass damage
- burning rubber
- sparks - in GT6, more sparks, like in burnout
- rain/snow - in GT6, like F1, Dirt on window and on all tracks
- day/night cycle - in GT6, on all tracks
- > 6 cars

Sure it's not perfect, but I think GT5 is a really nice "blueprint" for future GT's.

Top Bottom