• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

magawolaz

So...what's the new grind race? Can't believe the Ferrari seasonal has gone. How I abused that race...

VJr9a.png
Maybe Nurburgring 24h in Real Circuit Tours seasonal... it's pretty cool, 226.300 (452.600 x2) Cr. in 7 minutes, a great challenge full of LMPs and other Race Cars on the 'ring.

Not as good as Ferrari seasonal, but...

offshore

Maybe Nurburgring 24h in Real Circuit Tours seasonal... it's pretty cool, 226.300 (452.600 x2) Cr. in 7 minutes, a great challenge full of LMPs and other Race Cars on the 'ring.

Not as good as Ferrari seasonal, but...

Cheers, I'll check that out. I've never paid much attention to the seasonal's after that Ferrari race went up. They just didn't seem worth it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
SuperGT Seasonal Event = BillOrlyFUCKINGTHINGSUCKS.jpg

Trying to use the Diablo Nomad since that's a SuperGT. Nurburgring GT track = sliding around and not getting more than 2nd to lose it right at the end. SMH.

Niks

Quite a bit of discussion going on on GTPlanet over the updated tire wear.
Amar, Toxa any new findings/opinions about this?

Basically, people are complaining that Racing softs degrade wayyy to fast now. As Amar said quite a few pages ago, people are too dependent on racing with racing softs...

The question is, how do sports tires behave now?

Polyphony

Racing softs are like Pirelli super softs. Gonna love the strategies now.

Also, the tires might degrade differently depending on the car that's driven, which makes sense. Will have to test.

Toxa

Quite a bit of discussion going on on GTPlanet over the updated tire wear.
Amar, Toxa any new findings/opinions about this?

Basically, people are complaining that Racing softs degrade wayyy to fast now. As Amar said quite a few pages ago, people are too dependent on racing with racing softs...

The question is, how do sports tires behave now?

so far tyres wear (racing soft) seems fine to me, proportional to hard tyres enough to make a race a strategically interesting.
IMO if racing soft last longer this would make the hard compound unnecessary.

sport tyres looks ok but I haven't checked their rate of wear

Probably, I agree. This level of improvement - and official announcement how everything to this point is only a start - is really a role model. Although many will say how it was necessary - because of the issues game had in start - it just shows how important and serious PD is in what they do.

I can list few things that come to my mind instantly, neither asking for big compromises (at least I think not): gearbox sounds, real-time toggle of HUD, Cape Ring tracks in Reverse versions, official matchmaking races (as in Prologue), Paint Shop facility, point-to-point Course Maker courses with auto-generating for Private Lobbies (would be blast in Free Run mode and chasing other's times with other players watching in Spectator mode), Team Options for Private Lobbies (2 players can exchange on drivers seat during pit-stop - since host-migration is non-issue in GT5, this one would probably work as pie)...

Good list, but why not the leaderboards?

I´m extremely disappointed that everybody else forgot about this one and moved on, but i didn´t. I was really expecting that. The leaderboard tables on GT HD and Prologue were great and i was expecting more of the same.

At this point i can understand they don´t want millions of empty boards, filling up their servers, but why not start with Nurb and Top Gear?

Those two tables alone, for tuned/normal cars would be a blast and give us a lot more things to do with the game.

I can´t believe it´s 2011 and we still have to test out cars and compare them by writing down their times.

Why not do it?

Kaz and PD have shown a lot since the release of the game, they are listening and improving little things, i think it´s just a matter of us telling them how important this is.

Who´s with me?

offshore

Join the B-spec grinding club and add friends from GTPlanet who are doing it.
Think I"ll do that as well...very few of my friends pay ay attention to remote racing >.>
Basically, people are complaining that Racing softs degrade wayyy to fast now.
First impressions are that I think it's a valid point....although I haven't yet had the chance to drive conservatively on them yet. I said a few pages ago that in the online race I was doing this morning, after 7 laps of Daytona, my tyres were destroyed and I spun out....had no idea what was going on :lol

Everyone in the room then said to turn tyre wear off because it was degrading far too fast. Have to test out what the other racing compounds are like. The differnce between Hard and Soft pre-2.02 felt too exagerated, so IDK people can be blamed for choosing racing softs on short runs. Softs could easily last 20 laps with cafeful management, but not sure if that's the case now.

Polyphony

Who´s with me?

Me. They already have leaderboards for the time/drift trials, it would be nice to have them on an extra track or two as well :p.

Although, like you say, it probably takes a lot of resources to manage leaderboards on all tracks for all 1000+ variations of cars that might be tuned or stock.

I am really happy to hear that the tire wear has been adjusted. It is one of the main reasons I never bothered with longer online races. It was always a no brainer, just go with the softest tires possible and drive the balls off them. I also feel like it completely negates an entire racing skill set, tire management. I will never have the raw pace of hot lapping and qualy but I have really good race tire management a la Jenson Button. This is the biggest news in this update for me. Can't want to get back into some GT5 for the holidays.

malyce

Me. They already have leaderboards for the time/drift trials, it would be nice to have them on an extra track or two as well :p.

Although, like you say, it probably takes a lot of resources to manage leaderboards on all tracks for all 1000+ variations of cars that might be tuned or stock.

They don't have too, they could just go the prologue route and just do leaderboards for premium cars and a set number of tracks a la Real World Circuits, its been a year since the release of the game and they still haven't implemented leaderboards or online matchmaking.

offshore

It is one of the main reasons I never bothered with longer online races. It was always a no brainer, just go with the softest tires possible and drive the balls off them. I also feel like it completely negates an entire racing skill set, tire management.

How long are you talking about? I did plenty of 50+ lap races pre 2.02, and tyre management on softs was so crucial. It certainly wasn't just driving the balls off them; people who did that would be pitting so quickly and so often... ^^

Dibbz

Oh god just updated and done some testing on the tyres. Fuck yes Racing Softs now degrade like they should. OH MY GOD PD YOU FUCKING ROCK!

New sounds are very nice although I do wish the engine sounds range would be shortened. It seems you can hear engine roars from pretty far away with very little change in volume which is very distracting in replays and during races when you have V12's all over the track.

I find that hard to believe oO They replaced my G25 for a G27 for free, and it was out of warranty already. Were you you're usual charming self when talking to them? lol

I rang them and explained the problem, they told me to email a scan/photo of my receipt so they could check if it was still under guarantee. It wasn't and they blew me out.

Logitech UK.

Who did you contact?

Polyphony

I rang them and explained the problem, they told me to email a scan/photo of my receipt so they could check if it was still under guarantee. It wasn't and they blew me out.

Logitech UK.

Who did you contact?

:(

I had a similar issue with a better ending. Bought a refurbished DFGT on eBay that died 3 months later. I'm not sure whether it was still under warranty or not, but I tried my luck on logitech.com's email support. I've read online that they sometimes replace your equipment regardless of the warranty expiration date.

They asked for the model and serial numbers, never for a copy of the receipt (you can always say it's a gift anyway). A day later, they sent me a free Fedex shipping label by email to return my wheel, and I got a sparkling new DFGT by mail 2 weeks after that.

Is it just me or are RS now a little less insanely grippy as well?

I am really happy to hear that the tire wear has been adjusted. It is one of the main reasons I never bothered with longer online races. It was always a no brainer, just go with the softest tires possible and drive the balls off them. I also feel like it completely negates an entire racing skill set, tire management. I will never have the raw pace of hot lapping and qualy but I have really good race tire management a la Jenson Button. This is the biggest news in this update for me. Can't want to get back into some GT5 for the holidays.

Yeah, it's the same for me. In SOME cases (powerful FF car for example) you could make a difference on a shorter than 20 laps race, but in most cases the difference was too little and too late. I noticed how you took a lot of care with your tyres in our races together, and I usually have some of the best conserved tyres on the GAF races as well... let's see how this develops :D

SToRM

I do have them check marked in the game itself. However, on PSN store the shopping bag is blue instead of red for that pack and is completely missing from my download history.
I bought the complete pack today and had the same thing. The game did download some updates, but I cannot find the new Spa track. Do I have to unlock something first before I can drive on this track?

Polyphony

I bought the complete pack today and had the same thing. The game did download some updates, but I cannot find the new Spa track. Do I have to unlock something first before I can drive on this track?

Before going into GTLife, open the red DLC icon on the bottom right in the main menu. Enable all the DLC you just bought. Spa should now appear in Arcade or Practice under World Circuits.

Solal

I´m extremely disappointed that everybody else forgot about this one and moved on, but i didn´t. I was really expecting that. The leaderboard tables on GT HD and Prologue were great and i was expecting more of the same.

At this point i can understand they don´t want millions of empty boards, filling up their servers, but why not start with Nurb and Top Gear?

Who´s with me?

I am... I don't get how PD gets away with it so easily...

BeeDog

Just tried the new patch out. The best thing so far is the improved chase cam; the minor camera movements help a lot. Though I can't say I noticed any improved audio whatsoever, feels just as flat as ever. I wonder why it's so hard to just add some deep bass to each car rumble, since I bet it would help a lot.

How long are you talking about? I did plenty of 50+ lap races pre 2.02, and tyre management on softs was so crucial. It certainly wasn't just driving the balls off them; people who did that would be pitting so quickly and so often... ^^

Most online races were short enough that you never needed to pit, and if they were longer, there was never any doubt, always take the softest tire. Zero strategy. You could still burn up tires a little faster than others but most races everyone ends up with the same amount of pit stops in the end, they just take them a lap or two apart. (long races this will change).

The main point is there was never any reason to ever pick a harder tire. They wore at nearly the same rate as the softs and were substantially slower than the softs.

Edit: The idea that I could pull a one stopper in a race that other may pit twice or even three times in on softs, is very appealing to me. Such a fun challenge balancing pushing whilst saving rubber.

Logitech UK.

Who did you contact?

It was all done through email, and it didn't take many. I used the contact email form on the website to explain my problem, you need to put all sorts of info about the product, next day I received a reply saying they would exchange it, gave out my name and address, then a confirmation email with something I had to print to put on the G25 box.

Next week DHL delivered the G27 and took my G25 back. They didn't even ask for a receipt.

offshore

The main point is there was never any reason to ever pick a harder tire. They wore at nearly the same rate as the softs and were substantially slower than the softs.

Exactly, which is why I think it's a little unfair for people who criticised the fact that a lot of people in lobbies were on soft tyres. If everyone was on softs, you had to be on softs as well. Any other tyre was suicide.

I just some feedback from a guy who I race with regularly that you really do now have the freedom to pick different tyres and not be at a disadvantage, with more tyre strategy coming in to play, which is great. Can't wait to try it out properly tonight.

Dibbz

Been racing on the Nurb just now and I noticed that in the dark only the car directly ahead of you has his headlights cast on the environment. Everyone behind you has their lights on but they do not light any of the environment. They do however light each others cars so you still get your cockpit lit by the car behind. It's a bit disappointing since it makes watching replays at night useless because it looks so bad.

It's gotta be a glitch or something. I mean I'd understand if it was done because of FPS drops but GT5 always been solid. Here's hoping that it gets sorted soon.

Not sure if it's just with AI cars havn't tried with anyone online.

It was all done through email, and it didn't take many. I used the contact email form on the website to explain my problem, you need to put all sorts of info about the product, next day I received a reply saying they would exchange it, gave out my name and address, then a confirmation email with something I had to print to put on the G25 box.

Next week DHL delivered the G27 and took my G25 back. They didn't even ask for a receipt.

Filled in the website form. I will be amazed if they exchange it, lol.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I still had a LOT of seasonals yet to complete, I didn't rush at all because without an ETA on the expire date I felt I could take all the time in world.

Before I kill myself, could I know how many seasonal have been wiped out with this new update beside the Ferrari's one (which I loved since it was the only way to race the F1 2010/2007 while earning xp/credits)?

Arklite

After this update I noticed that engine sounds are only coming out of one of my speakers and music from the other. Anyone else having this problem?

Edit: and it's only on my 599. Odd.

i-Lo

I still had a LOT of seasonals yet to complete, I didn't rush at all because without an ETA on the expire date I felt I could take all the time in world.

Before I kill myself, could I know how many seasonal have been wiped out with this new update beside the Ferrari's one (which I loved since it was the only way to race the F1 2010/2007 while earning xp/credits)?

I concur as I was in the same situation. It's tragic really if they don't start replacing them with equally lucrative events. The thing that burns is that there were no closing dates on them.

Guess it tickled their fancy. This update feels like 3 steps forward and 1 backward.

Top Bottom