• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Mush

Angst said:
Crumb will you do the race on Laguna for your team? Please say no. :lol
EAcvd.png

Yes, I know everyone won't get the reference. Yes, I know I left the GT watermark, it was a quick shop.

TTG

Finally got around to buying one of the GTRs, don't remember the name... red one? Just wondering what tires you guys were using. Bone stock, I can get into the 1.21s. Who ever said they're putting up 1.18s and 1.19s, that's a hell of a time. I didn't practice much, but that's very impressive regardless.

Mush

TTG said:
Finally got around to buying one of the GTRs, don't remember the name... red one? Just wondering what tires you guys were using. Bone stock, I can get into the 1.21s.
It's either the #23 Zanavi or the #22 Autech GT-R. Most people ran with Racing Softs, a few like me with Mediums. No modifications at all.
TTG said:
Who ever said they're putting up 1.18s and 1.19s, that's a hell of a time. I didn't practice much, but that's very impressive regardless.
Again,
EAcvd.png

Angst

Mush said:
OK, I've cleaned up the OP a bit.

Enjoy!
Nice work Mush!

I've started practice on Grand Valley Speedway (gotta start early as last race clearly shows...) and after going all default on suspension and LCS the car is so much better. I've even punctured one of my front tyres on purpose so I can learn to handle a crippled car without going to the pits first thing. :D

Toxa

Mush said:
OK, I've cleaned up the OP a bit.

Enjoy!

nice op :D

you should download the game intro in HD to get a better quality banner.

BTW the Bandai team is "Capsule Corp Racing" for the team & driver board ;)

Mush

Toxa said:
BTW the Bandai team is "Capsule Corp Racing" for the team & driver board ;)
ARGH. This is like the second time you've told me this and the second time I thought I had gone back and edited it. :(

God damn Crumb. Grrr. I need to really step up my game. I need to redeem myself on Grand Valley.

Weekend_Warrior, my advice, be incredibly mindful of damage. No move or extra .1 of a second shaved off is worth going into a wall or another vehicle. The heavy damage online is very unforgiving and limping around the track back to the pits is brutally slow and often results in further damage.

Since I didn't practice very much before the race (big mistake), I found myself continually trying to reduce my lap times every lap. If I would have just accepted my current pace and stayed in rhythm and focus, I could have placed much better. I get so conditioned for sprinting and hot lapping from A spec where the AI is nothing so it is always a race against the clock, going banzai into corners trying to get a new best lap.

I really wish head tracking worked online because looking quickly to my side would have been a big value.

Niks

So, who is salacious crumb teammate?
because he has some big shoes to fill!!

no pressure :D

In other news,
I finally came up a setup for my GTR that im comfortable with. Going to be a good race!
:D

(I fear for lap 1 corkscrew pileup)

Angst

Niks said:
(I fear for lap 1 corkscrew pileup)
And there's lots of tight corners before that, meaning pileups all along the first lap. And laps 2-24 as well.

I look forward to the replay :lol

Bout to rage the fuck out. This fucking piece of shit cock sucking capture card is telling me my own fucking PS3 playing my own fucking games is protected content and won't let me save and fucking video capture. THIS IS FUCKING RETARDED DRM SUPER RAGE!@@QR$#@$%#@$@# The reason I bought this one was because video game review sites said it was good for capturing console video to your PC. WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!@!Q!R$$#@

Dibbz

Niks said:

lol Monkey is great although the last time I was in a race with him this happened.

5273724449_1950857bd9_b.jpg

He did overtake me on the final corner off SSR5 though, I can't forget that :mad:

:lol

Dibbz

gutterboy44 said:
Bout to rage the fuck out. This fucking piece of shit cock sucking capture card is telling me my own fucking PS3 playing my own fucking games is protected content and won't let me save and fucking video capture. THIS IS FUCKING RETARDED DRM SUPER RAGE!@@QR$#@$%#@$@# The reason I bought this one was because video game review sites said it was good for capturing console video to your PC. WHAT THE FUCKING FUCK!@!Q!R$$#@
Which capture card is it?

I remember someone having a problem before on the Gaming side with one and one of the mods posted a really good tutorial to get it working.

EDIT:- Also it's because you're a Man U fan :p

Dibbz

Sorry man no idea why it's acting up.

For all the guys getting ready for Laguna Seca race I recommend watching this clip. The racing is so intense and it goes all the way to the very last lap, last turn, last millimeter. It's a bit long but jesus if that doesn't get you ready for Laguna nothing will :D

h3ro

Niks said:

I think I'm up for it! :lol

Definitely not going to be matching him for pace, but I'll give it a fair shot!

Also, Dibbz! I'm never gonna live that down, am I... poor sad GT-R. :lol

My main concern is tuning my car with an emphasis on 'cornering'

Still fishing for a good tune (suspension/LSD wise), I'm currently tinkering with a few right now; default tune doesn't cut it. Understeers galore. I may have finally found a sweet spot though.

Ok, got computer back up. Now to deal with this rat fink fucking shit bag video capture card. My god DRM is the dumbest fucking thing ever. I OWN ALL OF MY SHIT! Stop fucking with me.

brentech

gutterboy44 said:
Ok, got computer back up. Now to deal with this rat fink fucking shit bag video capture card. My god DRM is the dumbest fucking thing ever. I OWN ALL OF MY SHIT! Stop fucking with me.
I remember having some sort of problem like that when I tried using a Hauppage card to record some early PS3 title. No longer have the unit though, can't do any testing. Maybe when we finally get around to finishing the basement and I get my theatre on, I'll get back to building a recorder.

Will have to investigate this for you.

brentech

gutterboy44 said:
This pos was supposed to support that. Grr, looks like that was a waste of money.
AverMedia's site reference states: "HDMI input will not record content if the source has HDCP encryption. If the unit that is connected to the capture card has HDCP then there is not way to record with HDMI. You will need to use component cables instead which has no limitations and can record HD signal up to 1080i also."

Possible work around?

brentech said:
AverMedia's site reference states: "HDMI input will not record content if the source has HDCP encryption. If the unit that is connected to the capture card has HDCP then there is not way to record with HDMI. You will need to use component cables instead which has no limitations and can record HD signal up to 1080i also."

Possible work around?

Yeah, that is what I am doing, getting component cable. Kind of fucks up my setup and makes my HDMI splitter redundant but fuck it. I like being able to put my PS3 on my monitor and TV and want to cap in 720p. Other data sheets say it works with HDCP and that, "all game consoles" can capture. HDCP is so fucking dumb. Way to fuck over the paying customers once again.

Sorry lads, another delay in the video capture process. I will get it done as soon as I can. The rest of the season should be a bit better.

brentech

Yea, DRM is so misplaced that it is really only a hassle for the average consumer.

I was only using S-Video input back when I did it (May '07, didn't have my first HD for another 5 months), but I still remember a title giving me an issue when I tried to record. Not all of them did though.

Toxa

Dibbz said:

For all the guys getting ready for Laguna Seca race I recommend watching this clip. The racing is so intense and it goes all the way to the very last lap, last turn, last millimeter. It's a bit long but jesus if that doesn't get you ready for Laguna nothing will :D

"You can"t play that game" awesome race :D

STG

Dibbz said:

oh god

I wish we had GT races also on TV here in germany
so exciting to watch

Angst

weekend_warrior said:
After about an hour of running laps online I couldn't get my time below 1:25.
I'm boned.
I wouldn't worry to much about setting the fastest lap times. I finally got over my bad race at Suzuka so I watched the replay yesterday. Looking at the best lap times I noticed that my best lap was pretty ok, about 2 seconds slower than Crumb, but around the same as the guys in place 2-9. I only watched up to lap 10, but at that point my best lap was seconds faster than for example mush who was at first to third place a lot of the time. (I'm using you as a positive example mush:D )

But that was my best lap. My average lap time was horrible due to me doing a lot of mistakes and the people above me in the final results did a lot fewer mistakes than me.

Lesson learned: if you're not a driving god (read: Crumb) it's smarter to do consistent laps instead of pushing it and thus being more prone to mistakes. Pretty basic actually, but if you can do 25 laps at 1.27-1.28 consistently on Laguna I think you have a shot at the podium. Being 2-5 seconds slower per lap doesn't matter that much if someone else has to spend 25 seconds reversing from the sand traps.

Angst

Mush said:
Unfortunately that doesn't include the American Lemans Series featured in that particular video. :(
Aha, I didn't watch the video but just assumed it was Super GT related as this is the Super GT thread.

Mush

SCI3x.jpg

Course Map

ZgxjG.png

Race Info

-28 Laps/62.66mi/100.85km

Footage

GT5 Race/Replay
On-board footage with Commentary
Teaser Video by Toxa. Thanks dude!

Preview write-up by Mush

With Suzuka out of the way, the drivers now head to sunny Monterey for the only American round of the Championship, Laguna Seca, home to the notorious Corkscrew. Right up there with some of the most infamous turns in motor-racing like Spa's Eau Rouge and the Nordschleife's Carousel, the Corkscrew features a blind approach into a steep left-right chicane that drops nearly 18 meters (59 ft) by the time you reach the exit. There is little room for error here as a misjudge in braking could send you wide into the sand, or even worse, the tire barriers fencing the outside of the turn. Still, the straight leading into the Corkscrew presents an excellent opportunity for those brave enough to attempt a pass on this dangerous bend...

Laguna Seca is a very fast paced circuit with several medium-fast sweeping turns, producing lap times around the 1 min 20 mark. The front straight will more than likely end up being the battleground of choice in the battle for position; a good exit out of the slow last Turn 15 is key for anyone looking to draft and out-brake their adversary heading into Turn 1. However, shorter lap times mean that the battle for the podium could come down pit strategy. The tires won't be punished as much as they were at Suzuka and the tortuous S-bends, meaning those who can look after their tires and stay out of trouble could have a shot of taking the glory home.

Will Crumb and Team SMANG continue their blistering performance? Or will another driver step up to the challenge? It all goes down Sunday Saturday.

Toxa

Mush said:
Done and done. :)

However, shorter lap times mean that the battle for the podium could come down pit strategy.

for the last race Pitting was determined by damage. :D

I dread the tracks like SSR5 or R246, the walls will be unforgiving with full damage xD

you lead the race and at the first corner you brake too hard and you hit the wall then you must endure the entire lap with a dead car :( :D

Ok, so I am just going to keep my same capture card and use Component cables instead of HDMI. I will try to get footage up before the Laguna race. Some please save me a NTSC replay for Laguna and send it to me so I can cap that weekends race as well. I should have all the kinks ironed out and become more proficient at this. I had no test time with my new card before our first race, also I am not at my apt. for half the week. I will deliver damn it, this fucking video capture crap will not defeat me!

weekend_warrior said:
After about an hour of running laps online I couldn't get my time below 1:25.
I'm boned.

Dude, if you can stay consistent that will yield a solid result. The hardest thing in these races is maintaining your focus with all of the cars around you and the pressure. Of course there are people like Crumb who can put in blazers lap after lap, but most people who can get times close to Crumb have difficulty maintaining them the entire race. One lapse of concentration can mean a huge time loss. So even if you are losing 2+ seconds a lap to someone, if they smash a wall and have to limp back to the pits, or make other unplanned stops, you can quickly find your self 30+ seconds ahead of them and they would have to go alien on you to catch you even with your 1:25 pace.

I made the huge mistake of going for a hot lapping session in race 1 when I should have played it safe. Consistency, good strategy and a focus are key.

Toxa

gutterboy44 said:
Ok, so I am just going to keep my same capture card and use Component cables instead of HDMI. I will try to get footage up before the Laguna race. Some please save me a NTSC replay and send it to me so I can cap this weekends race as well. I should have all the kinks ironed out and become more proficient at this. I had no test time with my new card before our first race, also I am not at my apt. for half the week. I will deliver damn it, this fucking video capture crap will not defeat me!

NTSC replay ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/?a9bu92eiu4kba0i

GodofWine

Sigh...Im down to the 1.28s on Laguna...right when I was quitting for the night I realized these cars have adjustable LSDs...that should help with the rampant wheel spin...can't believe I didnt think to adjust it.

I figure low 1.27s and high 1.26s would lead to a respectable finish assuming I don't smang my car into every wall...

Toxa

gutterboy44 said:
Sorry should have been more clear, I meant for the coming weekend, Laguna Seca, where my teammate Weekend_Warrior will be racing. I will back behind the reigns of my our handsome Takata Dome NSX for Grand Valley.

sorry it's all my fault I missed the part about laguna :D

@niks maybe 6 with damages xD

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
gutterboy44 said:
Avermedia C027 HD/DVR PCIe. Now my computer won't boot, so yeay! All is going wonderfully!!!
I don't have the card myself, but just from reading the brochure two things come to mind:
1. It's maxed out at 1080i, so make sure you're not trying to feed it 1080p.
2. If digital fails, try with component - card should come with a dongle for component.

Edit: bah, I see all that's been already addressed.

Top Bottom