• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Mush

Just doing some practice on Leguna Seca. Only done a few laps but I can see the potential for sub 1.20-1.21 times already. The NSX is better much suited to this track than Suzuka, where it really struggled in the all-important S bends in comparison to the GT-R's.

Oh, and fyi, the race will be 28 laps. Plan accordingly. ;)

Mush

Quick snaps I took last night.

z1AxJ.jpg

Gutterboy loses it going up the hill.
gYeuj.jpg

Round the hairpin for the first time.
aGymo.jpg

The chasing pack of Niks, UFRA and Mikedub.
QXQBR.jpg

Mush chasing Crumb hard.
afHc2.jpg

...maybe a little too hard.
FHW0F.jpg

SjEGv.jpg

Opposite ends of the pack after Lap 1.
GmNVw.jpg

When lapping goes horribly, horribly wrong.

Leunam

I saw you on the map and in my mirror at the spoon but when I checked again I didn't see you on my map. Turns out our arrows overlapped and I didn't notice you were next to me until it was too late and you clipped the grass. :(

Mush

Leunam said:
I saw you on the map and in my mirror at the spoon but when I checked again I didn't see you on my map. Turns out our arrows overlapped and I didn't notice you were next to me until it was too late and you clipped the grass. :(
Just curious, what view were you using? I think we need a better system in place for lapping slower cars. Perhaps installing horns or a quick flash of the headlamps could work.

Leunam

Mush said:
Just curious, what view were you using? I think we need a better system in place for lapping slower cars. Perhaps installing horns or a quick flash of the headlamps could work.

Zoom in cockpit mode.

I'm going to change the scale on the map so it's easier to see whether people are coming up on the right or the left.

UFRA

Mush said:

If I'm not mistaken the Super GT cars have a horn by default. Or at least my GT-R does. They also have a really cool headlight flashing sequence too. Simply press it once and the lights flash for like 5 seconds.

I used this method when trying to lap people but did not seem to get results. :p

I was behind you guys when that incident happened. I saw the sparks flying. :D

Mush

UFRA said:
I was behind you guys when that incident happened. I saw the sparks flying. :D
I bet you were like OHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT, followed by THANK GOODNESS. :lol

I could have easily have spun out and hit you.

UFRA

Mush said:
I bet you were like OHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHITOHSHIT, followed by THANK GOODNESS. :lol

I could have easily have spun out and hit you.

LOL Pretty much. I was really tense hoping that I wouldn't get involved if things went to hell. :lol

Mush said:
Just doing some practice on Leguna Seca. Only done a few laps but I can see the potential for sub 1.20-1.21 times already. The NSX is better much suited to this track than Suzuka, where it really struggled in the all-important S bends in comparison to the GT-R's.

Oh, and fyi, the race will be 28 laps. Plan accordingly. ;)

After a few practice laps I was getting into the 1:23's.

Toxa

Mush said:
Quick snaps I took last night.

http://i.imgur.com/z1AxJ.jpg[IMG]
Gutterboy loses it going up the hill.
[/QUOTE]

I should appear on the first pic, I was in another time line :D

Mush

/scrolling through directory of useless horns

OOOOH that sounds cool!

"This part can not be fitted to your current car."

FFUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Angst

Dibbz, one word of advice - don't mess with the settings of the car too much. I had done a lot of suspension tuning and I think I botched it pretty bad, the car was super sensitive for the whole race. Go with default settings, but remember to tweak the transmission so you almost max it on the finish straight.

mGbkS.gif

I should have some time to work on the video capturing Tuesday night. I am thinking of just doing two main recordings, attempting to get as much variety in camera angles, and then just posting those and let someone else edit for polish. I don't have a ton of experience for video editing or a ton of spare time.

I love that my woeful first lap spin at Dunlop has been captured with the enthusiasm of a Emma Watson nip slip.

I have a few "moments" PM'd to me and I think I can work it out so I get a good variety of the action and those moments during the main recording of the play through. I think I will have to split it into 3 YouTube videos. Looking to do 720p.

Sorry for the delay, I am sure I will get more proficient at it for my next race.

Angst

gutterboy44 said:
I should have some time to work on the video capturing Tuesday night. I am thinking of just doing two main recordings, attempting to get as much variety in camera angles, and then just posting those and let someone else edit for polish. I don't have a ton of experience for video editing or a ton of spare time.

I love that my woeful first lap spin at Dunlop has been captured with the enthusiasm of a Emma Watson nip slip.

I have a few "moments" PM'd to me and I think I can work it out so I get a good variety of the action and those moments during the main recording of the play through. I think I will have to split it into 3 YouTube videos. Looking to do 720p.

Sorry for the delay, I am sure I will get more proficient at it for my next race.
No worries, it's awesome that you're taking the time to do this. Just taking pics and uploading them to the net takes quite a lot of time, so I imagine making a full video takes ages.

GodofWine

Im gonna practice laguna tonight, this is a track I have run countless laps on...if Im not running 1:25' and under...

If anyone had trouble passing me at times...having 4 damage dots makes driving the car straight very hard...I spent the better part of my time in the race driving half on the grass trying to let people go by....then mercifully, my daughter woke from her nap, rescuing me from further humiliation.

I just got this video capture card the other week too, just for GT5 :) I am still sorting out the most efficient way.

GT5 has already had me buy

G27 $220 on sale
128GB SSD $210
HD Cap Card $90
HDMI Splitter $25

Total $545 of additional costs. Luckily things like the Super GT event this weekend have all made it worth it.

Angst

gutterboy44 said:
I just got this video capture card the other week too, just for GT5 :) I am still sorting out the most efficient way.

GT5 has already had me buy

G27 $220 on sale
128GB SSD $210
HD Cap Card $90
HDMI Splitter $25

Total $545 of additional costs. Luckily things like the Super GT event this weekend have all made it worth it.
Good to see you're still enjoying the game. I'd advice you to stop caring about the platinum as online is where the fun is :D

Dibbz

Good advice Angst. I made a similar mistake last practice session. Changed some of my settings and was getting some really bad understeer. With a new track I'll go back to default and maybe read the instructions on all of the settings instead of randomly punching in numbers :lol

Niks

Great pics mush.

For anyone practicing Laguna, remember to do it online, create a room or a private lobby...
Offline practice for some reason is different from online... The car handles totally different.
Anyone knows why is this?

Dibbz

Niks said:
Great pics mush.

For anyone practicing Laguna, remember to do it online, create a room or a private lobby...
Offline practice for some reason is different from online... The car handles totally different.
Tyre wear?

Toxa

Niks said:
Great pics mush.

same for me, weird ...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Niks said:
Great pics mush.

Got hit myself by that at Suzuka, but i thought it had to do with my laggy connection that day. Basically, the simulation changes significantly, worts times for me being when I ended in the speed traps a couple of times after an effect I'd describe as 'discontinuity in the simulation' - I'd be coming hot into a corner, slowing down the best I can, barely managing to kill speed to stay on the track by the edge of the curb when a jerk in the framerate would happen and my speed would be suddenly restored to that from a moment ago, thus sending me drifting off the edge. Basically it feels as if the simulation skips a beat, and reverts to a last known state.

Angst

Niks said:
Great pics mush.

I've found that tyre wear is faster, but otherwise I haven't noticed any differences.

Toxa

Angst said:
I've found that tyre wear is faster, but otherwise I haven't noticed any differences.

in GT mode I was able to perform a laptime around 1.55, 1.56 but online saturday my best was 1.57:(

GodofWine

I thought the car felt 'heavy' online vs. practicing offline...thats my excuse :lol

But seriously, it was different, at times I thought I was getting input lag, but it may have just been a different tire (tyre) model. Why the hell do they use different models online vs. offline.

Dibbz

Grip reduction set to real could also have an impact. I've not tested it but since GT5 simulates tyre wear it may also alter grip levels around the track. Edges of the track stay dirty but over time the racing line will get grip from all the rubber going down. Practice mode or Arcade might simply set the grip levels to the optimum setting rather than letting it build up over time.

GodofWine

Dibbz said:
Grip reduction set to real could also have an impact. I've not tested it but since GT5 simulates tyre wear it may also alter grip levels around the track. Edges of the track stay dirty but over time the racing line will get grip from all the rubber going down. Practice mode or Arcade might simply set the grip levels to the optimum setting rather than letting it build up over time.

Does it really take 'dirt on the track' into consideration? I never dreamed it would / could do that...with the amount of time I was off track, I'd be better of with rally dirt tires...just cutting corners and flying down the grass next to the road.

Dibbz

GodofWine said:
Does it really take 'dirt on the track' into consideration? I never dreamed it would / could do that...with the amount of time I was off track, I'd be better of with rally dirt tires...just cutting corners and flying down the grass next to the road.
Well I'm not sure I'm just assuming right now but since we have the option to set grip settings to "Real" it could be a possibility. I mean when the track is wet edges do have less grip so the same could be for dry tracks off the racing line.

Like I said I haven't tested anything this is all just guess work from peoples reactions to the difference in handling online.

UFRA

I noticed that when I went off track once, when I got back on the road I had a general loss of grip (could feel the rear end slipping on several occasions where I've never had an issue before) even though my tires were still warmed up. It took maybe 1/4th of a lap to feel "normal" again.

I'm pretty sure this simulated the effect of having dirt and grass stuck to your tires and causing a loss of grip. I also notice when people go off the track their tires turn brownish from the dirt collecting on them.

Pretty cool stuff. :D

Dibbz

What I mean when talking about dirt is tracks generally get more grippy over a race because of cars driving on them and putting down rubber from the tyres. So at the start of a race not only will you have less grip from cold tyres but also the lack of rubber on the racing line.

This might be why some of you think the cars feel heavier, because the grip in the track has no built up at that moment causing you to understeer and go wide.

Salacious Crumb

MikeDub said:
1472-6399-8404-2432-5291 for anyone who wants to just run some practice.

After booting up the game and finding out this room was closed I decided to do a couple of laps of laguna just for the laughs and I got down to a 1.19 flat :D

Salacious Crumb said:
After booting up the game and finding out this room was closed I decided to do a couple of laps of laguna just for the laughs and I got down to a 1.19 flat :D

After hanging around for an hour and a half I only had 1 other non random join me. I also felt I had nailed down my lap time the best I cou...

Salacious Crumb said:
decided to do a couple of laps of laguna just for the laughs and I got down to a 1.19 flat :D

FFFFUUUUU.jpg

Toxa

Salacious Crumb said:

my best time in GT mode only

new room

closed

Niks

Salacious Crumb said:

wat.

Toxa

in the lounge 1hour spent for 1.20.500

in time trial 1.19.900 in 3 minutes ...

so tell me what's wrong with my car ? in the lounge the car oversteer a lot and I have not been able to compensate :(

wtf ???

Niks

Toxa said:

so tell me what's wrong with my car ? in the lounge the car oversteer a lot and I have not been able to compensate :(

wtf ???

Same happened to me, massive oversteer.
You just have to start over a new setup for online.

offline practice never again.

Salacious Crumb

Toxa said:

wtf ???

It seems like the track might be 'pre rubbered in' in practice mode as online is definitely a lot more slippery than offline.

before I joined your game I was able to get my time down to 1.18.7 in offline mode, but online it was a struggle to get under 1.20, I did manage a 19.5 in the 10 or so minutes I was able to play though :D

Top Bottom