• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Ugh, Dunlop Curve Fail for me. The tension of the start and the choppy framerate had me on the throttle too hard. With full down force she was too twitchy once she got loose and I lost it :( The beginning of the end for me.

Salacious Crumb

It's actually pretty cool that it re-sets your times when you back out to the lobby, just like F1 you have to start on the tyres you qualify on.

UFRA said:
Judging by some of the confusion I want to clarify something:

When you set a lap time in "free run" mode before the race, you can NOT back out to the lobby screen (i.e. when your car is in the pits, you select "cancel entry" and go back to the lobby to adjust car settings) or your time will be erased and you will be put at the end of the pack.

We did indeed have a qualifying session (which was basically mixed with the practice session due to some people disconnecting or me doing patrols for randoms joining lol) and that was the whole free run before the race.

So keep this in mind for the next events. :)

Yeah, i figure that one out... i wanted to exit to change some settings, i had the wrong gearing at 310, but i know i´m not the only one to have done it.

I´m still bummed about the first lap accident. Not enough time to recover with just 20 laps. Maybe 25 laps would be better... don´t know. Can´t wait for the replay, i want to see the best bits.

Niks

GAF SUPER GT CHAMPIONSHIP

RACE 1 - SUZUKA

bgKFQ.jpg

bgQkn.jpg

mWmUV.jpg

wCFxq.jpg

KWATN.jpg

juDJc.jpg

M94Tb.jpg

kpKG3.jpg

UFRA

Great pics!!

I still can't believe a random pulled a ninja on us and stayed for the entire 20 lap race!! :lol :lol :lol

UFRA

Salacious Crumb said:
Where/how do you view multiplayer replays?

Same way as single player replays. In the GT Mode screen, you will see an icon (bottom left corner) with a video camera and it's called "Replay Theater". The replay should show up in that list.

You have to save it using the results screen once you return to the lobby after a race online. If you didn't do that you'll have to download it from someone. Not sure what version of the game you had, since my upload is the NTSC version.

Niks

All in all it was a great race.
Personally Im really surprised and pleased to be on the 3rd place on the podium, especially since I took a big gamble and it payed of in the end (barely)

Got my car damaged by Blu when lapping him, so I went in the pits in lap 5 of the race. By lap 13 I was driving with zero mistakes running in 5 place, decided not to pit again and endure it till the end.

My softs lasted for 15 laps!!! Granted by the end I was hanging for dear life, and watching UFRA close the gap little by little was nervewracking. Fighting for the podium was awesome.

Last lap, UFRA finally catches up to me and makes the pass in the hairpin, only to then see him go wide on 130R!!

Brilliant!
:D

h3ro

Salacious Crumb said:
Where/how do you view multiplayer replays?

If you saved it, it will be in the panel of replays listed after you select the video option on the sidebar in GTLife.

Also, mind PM'ing me your GT-R setup? I'm definitely not going to be matching your post in my races for our team but I'd like to be as close as I can and score as many points as I'm able to. :)

Fantastic race again bud, keep that Turquoise Jeep rollin'.

Salacious Crumb

h3ro said:
If you saved it, it will be in the panel of replays listed after you select the video option on the sidebar in GTLife.

Also, mind PM'ing me your GT-R setup? I'm definitely not going to be matching your post in my races for our team but I'd like to be as close as I can and score as many points as I'm able to. :)

Fantastic race again bud, keep that Turquoise Jeep rollin'.

I really am very bad at trying to fine tune a anything so my setup is pathetically simple and a little embarrassing.

Aero - max for Suzuka thanks to the S' in the first sector.
Gears - 193 for Suzuka which I think is default :lol

and that's it, I don't touch any of the other settings.

h3ro

Salacious Crumb said:
I really am very bad at trying to fine tune a anything so my setup is pathetically simple and a little embarrassing.

Aero - max for Suzuka thanks to the S' in the first sector.
Gears - 193 for Suzuka which I think is default :lol

and that's it, I don't touch any of the other settings.

Awesome.

So basically, it's not your setup. You're just naturally 15 seconds a lap faster than me. :lol

Thanks to all you guys, that was entertaining as heck to watch. I wanted to give Crumb updates, like a pitcrew during the race via the Message window...

"warning - upcoming backmarker"
"tox 10sec ahead, worn tires"

I felt like Ross Brawn. :lol

Mush

F9V0W.png

Race results after 20 laps:

AO2SS.png

Points standings after Round One:

MgJHE.png

Awards

Fastest Lap during Main Race: Salacious Crumb +10 points
Most Lead Laps: Salacious Crumb +10 points
MVP: Toxa +15 points
Spirit of Translator-san: blu +15 points

Replays

Copy these to your XMB and import them to GT5 in the Replay menu.

Round One - Suzuka

Toxa

Mush said:
Race results after 20 laps:

pRsvF.png

Points standings after Round 1:

NlEbn.png

Awards

Fastest Lap during Main Race: Salacious Crumb +10 points
MVP: Toxa +15 points
Spirit of Translator-san: blu +15 points

Replays

Copy these to your XMB and import them to GT5 in the Replay menu.

Round 1 - Suzuka

great job, no most lap led points ?

I'm going to need some pointers in how to properly tune my car, I think I did my harm to my tuning setup than good :|

The Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08 doesn't have severe understeer but its bad (reacts more like a drift tuned vehicle than anything else). Any tuning suggestions?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Thank you, SuperGT gaf. I feel honored by the Translator-san award, but at the same time unworthy of it, as I'm sure Translator-san would not be such a limping dog at Suzuka : )

I just had to sit right now a do a few less-embarrassing laps at Suzuka, just to appease my conscience : )

ps: as the yellowHat Supra team is nameless now, I suggest we call it 'Mad Hatter'.

Toxa

someone can explain the MVP (driver choice ) points please ? :D

I'm surprised to have fought for victory, my car wasn't faster (505hp) and I was pretty slow yesterday.
Apart from some unforeseen I managed to stay easily in second place so I'm pretty happy with my race.

I complain about some backmarker during the practice and the race ... please drive smoothly, stay out of the racing line and brake because I was unhappy with the behavior of some players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-zEnO_KwDg&feature=related

Nice first race guys! And good work Gutterboy picking up a solid 6th place. Hopefully I can do as good at Laguna.

So how did the 20 laps work out? Did everyone have to pit a few times? Gas or tires wear out? Any big crashes other then blu? ;)

Mush

weekend_warrior said:
Nice first race guys! And good work Gutterboy picking up a solid 6th place. Hopefully I can do as good at Laguna.

So how did the 20 laps work out? Did everyone have to pit a few times? Gas or tires wear out? Any big crashes other then blu? ;)
Concerning the tires, there was a lot of variation in strategies in pitstops for tires. I personally started on Mediums and that lasted me through till lap 16, where I fell from 3rd to my eventual final placing of 7th. Crumb and that Buzzin' Hornet of his stopped twice, but I believe he was running Softs. I probably would have been able to go through till the end on my Mediums, but because of the damage I had accumulated over the race wrecked my steering and wore out the tires faster.

Angst

Toxa said:
someone can explain the MVP (driver choice ) points please ? :D

I'm surprised to have fought for victory, my car wasn't faster (505hp) and I was pretty slow yesterday.
Apart from some unforeseen I managed to stay easily in second place so I'm pretty happy with my race.

I complain about some backmarker during the practice and the race ... please drive smoothly, stay out of the racing line and brake because I was unhappy with the behavior of some players:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-zEnO_KwDg&feature=related

About backmarkers and lapping:

If I'm being lapped I try to make sure to stay in a straight line and not do any sudden maneuvers. If I'm caught up in the S-curves I sure as hell won't go out of the driving line as that messes things up real bad. If I'm breaking towards a corner I'll move out from the driving line and let the lapper pass. But I won't slow down to let anyone pass. Why should I? I'm trying to catch the guy in front of me and if I have to slow down I might as well just quit the race.

But of course I won't try to block the one passing me.

In qualification you should let everyone on a hot lap pass you when you're on the out lap from pits. Try to get in a position where you have a good distance from other racers as you start your own hot lap.

I do not like the idea that backmarkers should just slow down and let the front runners pass by. If we're going that route I'll be disappointed.

Toxa

mush I can't downoad the pal replay from your link ( I must pick them up 1 by 1)
I have only 8 cars in my replay I need a new link

GodofWine

Toxa said:
more pics
663925SuzukaCircuit49.jpg

:/

My car looks sad (as it should have...)

So, are the races to begin at 4pm, or is the room open at 4pm...the 6pm start kinda messed me up...as did my driving skills..no excuse for the worst set of laps I've run in months. As long as I know when the races start, I can be there for the duration.

As far as the racing, I cannot believe I was at best, 12-15 seconds per lap slower. Im gonna try one of your guys 'new modern' GT cars to compare it to my PS1 era car ;)

Angst

GodofWine said:

So, are the races to begin at 4pm, or is the room open at 4pm...the 6pm start kinda messed me up...as did my driving skills..no excuse for the worst set of laps I've run in months. As long as I know when the races start, I can be there for the duration.

As far as the racing, I cannot believe I was at best, 12-15 seconds per lap slower. Im gonna try one of your guys 'new modern' GT cars to compare it to my PS1 era car ;)
The start got a bit delayed due to some people having trouble joining and then ufra had to sort through the randoms and kick them. My recommendation for next week is that we set up the room 30 mins before practice instead.

And maybe the host should put all racers on his friends list so we can have a private lobby? A bit of a pain to set it up though...

Angst said:
And maybe the host should put all racers on his friends list so we can have a private lobby? A bit of a pain to set it up though...

I think that is the easiest solution, host can just post here saying the room is up then all we have to do is join, no number, no randoms, no hassle. Plus the private lobbies allow up to the 32 people so there would be room for any spectators as well.

For the next round do we have any idea the amount of laps we will be doing? I was tweaking my car and running around on Leguna Sega this morning and was posting lap times in the 1:20 range. So it's a 1/3 shorter lap compared to Susuka, I was thinking 35 possibly 40 laps. We will definitely need to have some proper guidelines on backmarkers due to the shorter circuit too.

Leunam

Angst said:

We need a private chat room and have everyone jump in there before the race.

Toxa

Angst said:
Didn't your replay work?

my race was completely different, there were only 8 cars on the track.
I started the race in third place and I've never seen mush,, niks ... during the race !

in your replay I started the in 7th position and I don't know how with a huge lag I'im second place with my car damage ... wtf ?

I didn't know that FASJ6418 was behind me before the hairpin, your replay is whole new story for me.

I have a serious network issue, I was clearly in another space-time

Niks

weekend_warrior said:

Pitting was determined by damage. There was definitively some first few laps carnage going on. Some decided to endure the damage and pit when they had planned, others (like me) pitted early due to damage.
My soft racing tires lasted for 15 laps. Of course the last few laps I was slow as hell, but it payed off coming in third.

Angst said:
About backmarkers and lapping:

If I'm being lapped I try to make sure to stay in a straight line and not do any sudden maneuvers. If I'm caught up in the S-curves I sure as hell won't go out of the driving line as that messes things up real bad. If I'm breaking towards a corner I'll move out from the driving line and let the lapper pass. But I won't slow down to let anyone pass. Why should I? I'm trying to catch the guy in front of me and if I have to slow down I might as well just quit the race.

But of course I won't try to block the one passing me.

In qualification you should let everyone on a hot lap pass you when you're on the out lap from pits. Try to get in a position where you have a good distance from other racers as you start your own hot lap.

I do not like the idea that backmarkers should just slow down and let the front runners pass by. If we're going that route I'll be disappointed.

I agree with this.
Lapping slower cars is part of racing. I didnt have much problems passing lapped cars save for Blu (he had a though time keeping the car on the road).
My suggestion is to encourage anyone signed up to do some practice, doing 20 laps is not as easy as you would think. I agree Blu should continue participating, but he should definitively practice!!

Slower (and or damaged) cars should keep an eye on the map to check for faster cars approaching.

Laguna is going to be interesting since there are not many passing places, almost only one racing line, and plenty of spots where you can spin out or go off track.

Salacious Crumb

Niks said:
Laguna is going to be interesting since there are not many passing places, almost only one racing line, and plenty of spots where you can spin out or go off track.

The corkscrew on the first lap should be hilarious :lol

Dibbz said:
Yep a private lounge is the best option for the next race. Gotta start practicing Laguna now.

Ditto, though I'll probably stick mostly to practicing online w/ random players etc. The difference in the weight and feel of vehicles (as well as damage factors) are enhanced, or at least seem as if they are.

Side note: I completely agree with Angst statement concerning backmarkers. For myself, being honest, I'm not going to put myself in a compromising position so a passer can get ahead of me -- there isn't much room for error. I try to be as consider as possible, but not if it detrimental to the state of my vehicle or current position, you're just going to have wait and give the driver the opportunity to move SAFELY out of the way.

Not to sound bitter, but were all racing on the same track -- I expect some respect from both ends.

Leunam

BrLvgThrChmstry said:
Side note: I completely agree with Angst statement concerning backmarkers. For myself, being honest, I'm not going to put myself in a compromising position so a passer can get ahead of me -- there isn't much room for error.

Especially not on Suzuka.

Toxa

GodofWine said:

the castrol supra is a good car a lot better than my bandai lexus .

it would be interesting to organize a DTM, ALMS or Nascar championship

UFRA

I would say I agree with both ends of the discussion on backmarkers here.

On one hand, during some of our practice sessions on previous weeks, during the free run mode I have had people on a hot lap approach me. I was overly-generous and got out of their way, only to clip the grass and spin myself out (in the S-Curve secion on Suzuka). This was a lesson I learned and did not want to experience in a race, that's for sure.

On the other hand, during our race yesterday, on at least two separate occasions I was very frustrated trying to get around some backmarkers as they basically hogged the whole road ahead of me. I easily lost valuable time trying to get around very slow vehicles lol.

I think a mix of both ideas is good.

-Pay attention to cars coming up behind you. On a straightaway look behind you to see who it is. If it's Salacious_Crumb, chances are you're being lapped and you should prepare to be overtaken. If it's the guy in the position after yours, then continue the race as normal.

-If it is someone about to lap you, do your best to stay out of the racing line within reason. i.e. on a straightaway, no excuse...move off to the side but you can maintain your speed. On a tricky section like the S-Curves in Suzuka, do your best to get through them and then allow the guy by when appropriate

-Don't do braking in unusual areas. That can mess things up more. Nothing is worse than when I'm trying to lap someone and they suddenly slow down rapidly and without warning in an area they normally wouldn't. Now I'm not just passing, I'm taking evasive maneuvers lol. This happened yesterday as well. I'm used to going through the 130R at high speed. I barely brake for this turn. I was trying to overtake a backmarker for the whole straightaway here and during this turn he braked hard and I nearly went off the track to avoid the suddenly slower car. It was nice they were trying to let me by, but it nearly killed me lol.

I definitely agree that both sides (the leaders and the backmarkers) deserve respect out there. I just definitely think things could have gone smoother yesterday.

Of course, it was our first event, so kinks need to be worked out. I wish we would have had better turnouts for practices though. This would help people learn how to prepare for such situations. As I explained above, I learned that basically "bending over" to the guy overtaking me is not a good idea, so I understand how backmarkers feel from that perspective.

STG

just downloaded the replay, will watch later (I am a bit hyped!)

I hope you guys will always upload the pal replays from now on :)

Dibbz

Imagine having a season finale like F1 where the championship leader gets held up by a back marker for 90% of the race and goes on to loss it all. Only question is who is the Vitaly Petrov of gaf? :lol

On a serious note I think UFRA is spot on but I will add that if you are lapping cars and you approach a pack of them racing then don't expect them to let you pass, on a straight yeah sure thats ok though.

Leunam

Dibbz said:
Imagine having a season finale like F1 where the championship leader gets held up by a back marker for 90% of the race and goes on to loss it all. Only question is who is the Vitaly Petrov of gaf? :lol

Yeah but Yas Marina is a shit track.

Top Bottom