• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

UFRA

This should be a lot of fun.

Between this and the NRL events, Super GT is going to take priority for me. I love the car selection, and it should provide for some really good action.

The cars are also surprisingly reasonably priced at only 950,000 credits lol. I was expecting some 5,000,000 cars or something. Shouldn't be too hard to save up for. Already have 334,000 right now. :D

Mush

UFRA said:
This should be a lot of fun.

Between this and the NRL events, Super GT is going to take priority for me. I love the car selection, and it should provide for some really good action.

The cars are also surprisingly reasonably priced at only 950,000 credits lol. I was expecting some 5,000,000 cars or something. Shouldn't be too hard to save up for. Already have 334,000 right now. :D
Yeah. What makes this series (IRL) great is that the cars, while coming from different manufacturers, are pretty much identical, so it all comes down to driver skill.

Regarding NRL events, I might need to adjust the calender of events so that people who are intending on attending both get the chance to compete in both. We don't want one taking over the other.

weekend_warrior said:
Man I wish I could use a Race Mod Corvette for this. How much horsepower does the Z06 make race modded? Around 500?

I'm pretty sure Mush wants this to be only the 16 super gt cars.

CozMick

Banned
I'm the worst driver in the world when using the DFGT and no driving line so i'll spare everyone the trouble of being with a shit team-mate :p

Mush

I just realised that the Fairlady Z Xanavi Nismo Super GT, '06 is still available, my bad. :(

FOUR CARS LEFT.

Mush

Actually, scratch that. rinse82 has just claimed the Denso Sard Lexus.

TWO CARS REMAIN UP FOR GRABS

Darkkn

This sounds like a great fun! I happened to watch yesterday a couple episodes of SuperGT on GTTV and it sparked my interest on series.

This might be too advanced stuff for my skill level tho. 30min races without any assist for a gamepad driver like me -> wipeouts :)

Mush

Mush said:
The following drivers still need partners for their selected cars. You want to drive with them? Get in contact.

TheAzRim - GT-R Calsonic Impul Super GT, '08
GodofWine - Supra Castrol Tom's JGTC, '97
TylerD - SC430 Petronas Tom's Super GT, '08
l2ounD - SC430 Bandai Direzza Super GT, '06
ghostofsparta - SC430 Eneos Super GT, '08
UFRA - GT-R WoodOne Advan Clarion Super GT, '08
Salacious Crumb - GT-R YellowHat YMS Tomica Super GT, '08
mil6es - NSX Epson Super GT, '08
rinse82 - SC430 Denso Dunlop Sard Super GT, '08
Angst - Fairlady Z Xanavi Nismo Super GT, '06

These fine Gentlemen have expressed interest but have yet to sign up and reserve a car:

MidnightRider
Irish
rvy
nib95

Speaking of cars, the following cars are still available for reservation:

Supra YellowHat YMS Super GT, '05
ONE CAR LEFT

Mush

Juicy Bob said:
I really need to hurry up and earn enough money to actually buy an ARTA NSX.
You could actually share a single car with your team mate. Just send it over when it's their turn to race.

Juicy Bob

Mush said:
You could actually share a single car with your team mate. Just send it over when it's their turn to race.

Is that actually safe, though? I've heard horror stories about cars being lost in trade-zone pergatory forever.

EL Beefo

Juicy Bob said:
I really need to hurry up and earn enough money to actually buy an ARTA NSX.

With the first race an entire month away, $950,000 shouldn't be to tough to get.

Also we need a team name.
Two possible ideas,
Team Juicy Beef
or, inspired by your avatar
Team Justice

I've only lurked in that thread as I prefer to keep my public image clean, and though I hate to pick sides, I'd go Team Justice if forced to choose.

Angst

Any thoughts on how we'll use mechanical damage in the races? My suggestion is we go the full monty and set it to heavy. :D

I'll starting adding you guys to my friends list when I get home. I think this will be really fun. I bought my car yesterday and did the Super GT races in A-Spec and I'm really enjoying the car. The mirror has been replaced by a rear camera with a nice display in the cockpit. The car handles really good without any tuning whatsoever and the sound is glorious. :D

Juicy Bob

EL Beefo said:
I've only lurked in that thread as I prefer to keep my public image clean, and though I hate to pick sides, I'd go Team Justice if forced to choose.

You and about 200,000 others, it seems

EL Beefo said:
Two possible ideas,
Team Juicy Beef
Team Justice

For the sake of trying to save what little dignity I have left in this place, I would vote for Team Juicy Beef. I'll do my best to prove a worthy team-mate for you.

Mush

Angst said:
Any thoughts on how we'll use mechanical damage in the races? My suggestion is we go the full monty and set it to heavy. :D

I'll starting adding you guys to my friends list when I get home. I think this will be really fun. I bought my car yesterday and did the Super GT races in A-Spec and I'm really enjoying the car. The mirror has been replaced by a rear camera with a nice display in the cockpit. The car handles really good without any tuning whatsoever and the sound is glorious. :D
I haven't tried out Mechanical damage yet (I've downloaded the patch but not the firmware update :lol ), but I think it would be a much better alternative than adding speed limit penalty's for shunting and stuff.

All right, i refrained myself from posting in this thread because i love SuperGT so much. I´m afraid to run this and not have time to do the regular competitions at GTP and Here. But since 2k runners are in, i think it was the incentive necessary for me to bite the bullet.

So, this summer i will (probably) be taking my talents to SuperGT (last time paraphrasing stupid LeBron James).

I´ve raced two and a half seasons of JGTC on GTP and i know for a fact those races are awesome.

Think about technology. Back in the GT4 days we would race against the AI, record our time and send the replays.

Now we can do actual races! :mindblown:

yeah, it'll be seattle and either me, reilo, nightz, and btothekw that will team up with seattle for 2k Runners. if they can't race on that weekend, one of us four will take their place.
i hope thats cool, mush.

Mush said:
I haven't tried out Mechanical damage yet (I've downloaded the patch but not the firmware update :lol ), but I think it would be a much better alternative than adding speed limit penalty's for shunting and stuff.

I tried the heavy damage online and it's pretty severe for the mildest bump fender benders, I think the mild setting would work best.

EL Beefo said:
With the first race an entire month away, $950,000 shouldn't be to tough to get.

Two possible ideas,
Team Juicy Beef
Team Justice

We haven't even started racing yet and already I have an archrival.

TylerD

Is it OK to just be a one-man team if you can't find a partner? I don't have any qualms about going solo if needed.

UFRA

Mush, what about oil changing?

I know you want the cars to be unmodified, but at some point we will need to change the oil since these are lengthy races. Once we do that, it will undoubtedly give the extra HP.

Should we all just change our oil right off the bat to get that out of the way? Some people, like myself, are perfectionists and may have a habit of changing the oil on their cars immediately after purchase/winning. Also, After a 30min race I'd want to change my oil for the next race. :/

Considering there's no way to un-do the oil change HP gain, it would be a very costly mistake for someone to make if it were done with innocent intentions. (i.e. I'd hate to change my oil out of habit and then find out that's not allowed and have to buy a new 950,000 car lol)

UFRA said:
Mush, what about oil changing?

I know you want the cars to be unmodified, but at some point we will need to change the oil since these are lengthy races. Once we do that, it will undoubtedly give the extra HP.

Should we all just change our oil right off the bat to get that out of the way? Some people, like myself, are perfectionists and may have a habit of changing the oil on their cars immediately after purchase/winning. Also, After a 30min race I'd want to change my oil for the next race. :/

Considering there's no way to un-do the oil change HP gain, it would be a very costly mistake for someone to make if it were done with innocent intentions. (i.e. I'd hate to change my oil out of habit and then find out that's not allowed and have to buy a new 950,000 car lol)

The extra HP gain from the 0 mile oil change shouldn't make any difference. All the HP numbers will be different depending on oil changes and mileage anyway. As long as you don't add any tuning shop parts you should be fine. Mush can set the HP limit too, so nobody sneaks in with an OP'ed car.

Mush

So...

As of 3.44pm Wednesday Kiwi time, we have:

4 cars with two drivers each (aka a full team)

Juicy Beef (Juicy Bob & EL Beefo) - NSX ARTA Super GT, '06
2K Runners (viakado & friends) - GT-R Motul Autech Super GT, '08
GT-R Nismo (BrLvgThrChmstry & Konosuke) GT-R Xanavi Nismo Super GT, '08
Takata Dome (weekend_warrior & Gutterboy44) - NSX Takata Dome Super GT, '06

11 cars with a single driver

viakado - GT-R Motul Autech Super GT, '08
Angst – Fairlady Z Xanavi Nismo Super GT, '06

I guess what I'm trying to say is, while the first race is a month away, we don't have the numbers at this stage for 16 complete teams, with 2 drivers each.

Because this is a community, I'm going to leave it up to you guys to decide what goes on from here.

UFRA

Well I just bought my car, so there's no way I'm joining a different team at this point. :lol

Also, in the dealership it said my car had 493HP. Then, when I bought it - in my garage right now at 0 miles it has 479HP. The oil change would bring it right back up to "advertised" HP.

Yay or nay Mush???? Can I change my baby's oil? :lol I agree with weekend_warrior's input on this but I want to make sure.

UFRA

Mush said:
I think it should be ok to change oil before/after each race.

K thanks. The deed is done, no going back now. :D

Oil change to the GT-R at 0 miles brought it from 479 to 502HP. Now I'm going to do some practice laps with it.

I think I'd rather drive alone. I feel like i'll let down my partner.

But I'm also okay with joining someone else.

Whatever you think is best Mush and other racers!

UFRA

Mush, I love you for making a Super GT advertisement in the GT5 OT regularly. If I hadn't noticed it and decided to investigate it (since I do like Super GT) I would have never gotten involved in this.

WOW is the car fun to drive. I setup an online race (so no miles or damage would be saved to my car :lol) just the way your OP says we will do the races.

The car is quite a beast, and easy to spin out. I did some tweaking to my suspension to try and increase understeer. Made a little difference. I don't want to go too far and then have understeer issues. I think I did enough. I just remembered I forgot to adjust the Limited-Slip Diff, which could help combat oversteer too. I'll look into that tomorrow.

Anyways, this should be so much fun! I also bumped some walls and got a taste of the new damage features (Heavy setting). My first hit was to my right-rear tire. It made it so that when I was driving in a straight line, my wheel was always turned slightly right (and when I say wheel I literally mean my gaming wheel). Then, I repaired it and hit the front left wheel pretty hard. I caused engine damage, which noticably slowed me, but I also caused a major alignment issue which made my wheel vibrate violently and the car pulled to the left. Really cool!

I normally race with all assists off except for TCS at 1-5, and ABS at 1. Driving this car with TCS off is a challenge, and I predict that if people don't practice at this we're going to see a ton of spinouts and crashes. :lol Can't wait for the practice track day.

Edit: also, when you press the headlight button, the headlights go through a really cool sequence of flashing on the GT-R. I sat there and did it like 10 times to see the awesomeness. Love the detail of the car interiors. Even a "DRINK" button on the steering wheel.

Mush

UFRA said:
Mush, I love you for making a Super GT advertisement in the GT5 OT regularly. If I hadn't noticed it and decided to investigate it (since I do like Super GT) I would have never gotten involved in this.
I was going for needy, but maybe I came off as annoying? :lol

Joking aside, I knew if I wanted to make this a decent league I needed to remind people as often as possible because otherwise it would have been lost in the shuffle, considering how fast that thread moves...

I'm just glad you managed to experience the awesome of Super GT first hand. I can't wait till the new LFA GT500 and the RE Amemiya RX8 is revealed.

Mush said:
So...

As of 3.44pm Wednesday Kiwi time, we have:

4 cars with two drivers each (aka a full team)

Juicy Beef (Juicy Bob & EL Beefo) - NSX ARTA Super GT, '06
2K Runners (viakado & friends) - GT-R Motul Autech Super GT, '08
GT-R Nismo (BrLvgThrChmstry & Konosuke) GT-R Xanavi Nismo Super GT, '08
Takata Dome (weekend_warrior & Gutterboy44) - NSX Takata Dome Super GT, '06

11 cars with a single driver

viakado - GT-R Motul Autech Super GT, '08
Angst – Fairlady Z Xanavi Nismo Super GT, '06

I guess what I'm trying to say is, while the first race is a month away, we don't have the numbers at this stage for 16 complete teams, with 2 drivers each.

Because this is a community, I'm going to leave it up to you guys to decide what goes on from here.

Keep mentioning the League in the OT thread and make it clear that while the cars might technically be "gone", we still need drivers for those cars. Or something. :lol

Mush

weekend_warrior said:
Keep mentioning the League in the OT thread and make it clear that while the cars might technically be "gone", we still need drivers for those cars. Or something. :lol
I'm not about to go blame everyone who has reserved a car for not organising a co-driver at the same time... but I feel like it. :lol

Angst

Mush said:
I'm not about to go blame everyone who has reserved a car for not organising a co-driver at the same time... but I feel like it. :lol
Do we need co-drivers? I thought the purpose of co-drivers was so more people could have a chance to participate. Or are you worried that come racing day half the racers will be pre-occupied and we'll be forced to do the race with less than 16 cars?

Mush

Angst said:
Do we need co-drivers? I thought the purpose of co-drivers was so more people could have a chance to participate. Or are you worried that come racing day half the racers will be pre-occupied and we'll be forced to do the race with less than 16 cars?
A bit of both, more the former than the latter. I think I've overestimated the potential of this league (for the first one, anyway). I mean, if you think you'll be up to competing in all 8 races, that's great. But if you're unsure if you'll be able to do that, that's what the co-drivers are for.

I'll give it a few more days of shilling, see if more people bite (which seems unlikely), but I think that at this stage, we'll just go with who we have at the moment. Those who have backups can use them, and perhaps even loan them out to other teams for that day so they can get a good days racin' in.

Angst

Mush said:
A bit of both, more the former than the latter. I think I've overestimated the potential of this league (for the first one, anyway). I mean, if you think you'll be up to competing in all 8 races, that's great. But if you're unsure if you'll be able to do that, that's what the co-drivers are for.

I'll give it a few more days of shilling, see if more people bite (which seems unlikely), but I think that at this stage, we'll just go with who we have at the moment. Those who have backups can use them, and perhaps even loan them out to other teams for that day so they can get a good days racin' in.
I think you would get a lot more sign-ups on GTPlanet. I think most people here find 30 mins races too long and also have a hard time commiting themselves to a schedule for weeks to come. I would actually have recommended longer races (1 hour), but that would have most likely been even harder to get a full line-up for.

Mush

Angst said:
I think you would get a lot more sign-ups on GTPlanet. I think most people here find 30 mins races too long and also have a hard time commiting themselves to a schedule for weeks to come. I would actually have recommended longer races (1 hour), but that would have most likely been even harder to get a full line-up for.
In future, I would probably try to organise something at GTP (I'm still new there though), but if this League goes down well, it'd be cool do some more stuff here with familiar faces.

Angst

Mush said:
In future, I would probably try to organise something at GTP (I'm still new there though), but if this League goes down well, it'd be cool do some more stuff here with familiar faces.
yeah I think this will be really good. The longer race times etc probably makes sure that the most destruction derby-prone racers stay away.

One suggestion for the series: I think we should make sure that one pitstop per race is needed. Makes for a whole lot more strategy. I think if we set regulations at soft racing tyres and 30 minutes everyone will have to make one pitstop during the race. I'll try it out tonight.

Weekend_Warriror, I was admiring our handsome machine in the dealership last night. I am currently working toward my 4.5mill buffer so I can buy that PD F1 the second it appears...if ever! and then I will be picking up or mean green machine.

I think we need a team name and banner.

Mush said:
I think it should be ok to change oil before/after each race.

I´ve only played online for a couple of minutes so far (been busy with GT life), but can we take upgraded cars online? Doesn´t change automatically to stock once you enter online?

Leunam

Angst said:

In the F1 league I help run we just ended our first season with a full race at Monza. Took over an hour and besides on DQ and one wreck no one dropped. We did 9 rounds and ten or eleven of us consistently showed up with the occasional need for backup drivers filling up the grid here and there for half hour races.

I think a GT league like this will work great as long as people maintain interest. Best way for that to happen is if rivalries develop.

Mush

seattle6418 said:
I´ve only played online for a couple of minutes so far (been busy with GT life), but can we take upgraded cars online? Doesn´t change automatically to stock once you enter online?
As long as you add the car you want to use to your "Favourites" tab, I'm pretty sure you can drive it online.

Top Bottom