• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Kaze13

Was hoping to run into (not literally on the race track lol) more gaffers. Oh well. My times during practice:

Day/Dry/Race soft: 8:32.xxx
Day/Dry/Intermediate: 9.02.xxx

Night/No rain/Full rain tires: +2 mins (on race soft time)

I felt more confident running Intermediates throughout the practice session with the threat of rain.

EL Beefo

Crap! I'm at my parents for the weekend and brought the game over so I can race, but the disc drive on the PS3 is acting up. I saw that my team mate Juicy Bob is already at the limit for number of races, so maybe someone else can take my place if that's ok? It really sucks too that I had to miss my race two weeks ago as well.

Mush did I get a ruling on whether I can race the weekend? I missed my final race last week and just wondered if I could have my last hurrah at the ring? I'll take el beefos place if need be.

Mush

MikeDub said:
Mush did I get a ruling on whether I can race the weekend? I missed my final race last week and just wondered if I could have my last hurrah at the ring? I'll take el beefos place if need be.
If you can grab his car, sure. Just as long as you don't serve as a wrecking ball/blocker for ashk. :p

Edit: It's the ARTA NSX 06'

EL Beefo

MikeDub said:

Awesome, thanks so much!

ashk

Mush said:
If you can grab his car, sure. Just as long as you don't serve as a wrecking ball/blocker for ashk. :p

I'm offended by this comment. Of course we would never do that.

do it, hit toxa first

Mush said:

Cool, yeah I can grab it, thanks a lot. As far as the other comment 'The Flaming Deers do not comment on rumour or speculation'.

ashk

I have a question.

If it starts raining during qualifying, will it be prolonged? The reason I am asking is because on race start you get the tyres that are picked in the lounge, so if the weather changes and you want to start on rain tyres, you need to go back to the lounge and lose your qualifying time in the process. If it starts raining 15 minutes before the race, there will be no time to set a new lap time.

UFRA

Mush said:
Good, you'll be hosting then.

lol Dibbz is right now, I think he's afk too. We can try Dibbz as host first, although him and Toxa have ISP compatability issues sometimes. In any case Vissione would be a good host too, he has a very stable connection and a separate one for the stream so it won't affect our gameplay.

Mush

ashk said:
I have a question.

If it starts raining during qualifying, will it be prolonged? The reason I am asking is because on race start you get the tyres that are picked in the lounge, so if the weather changes and you want to start on rain tyres, you need to go back to the lounge and lose your qualifying time in the process. If it starts raining 15 minutes before the race, there will be no time to set a new lap time.
Could we set qualifying to sunny and change it to dynamic for the race? Or would that screw up the times?

UFRA

Mush said:
Could we set qualifying to sunny and change it to dynamic for the race? Or would that screw up the times?

I'm pretty certain that causes a 'track reset'. Similar to the result of switching damage from light to heavy.

Based on how awful the rain system is in GT5 especially when you throw in the flawed online lobby system, and the fact that I have been taken out of every race within the first few laps other than round 1, I would really like to just race on the ring in good conditions and enjoy the track. Night/day is fine. But the rain system eats ass.

ashk

gutterboy44 said:
Based on how awful the rain system is in GT5 especially when you throw in the flawed online lobby system, and the fact that I have been taken out of every race within the first few laps other than round 1, I would really like to just race on the ring in good conditions and enjoy the track. Night/day is fine. But the rain system eats ass.

I agree with you 100% (even after spending hours practicing in the rain), but I think we're the minority here.

UFRA

ashk said:
I agree with you 100% (even after spending hours practicing in the rain), but I think we're the minority here.

Add one more to that list. :p lol

I know it may sound like whining, but I think GT5's rain physics are BS. Sometimes my car spins out when I'm barely turning, and not even on the throttle. It doesn't make sense.

In real life you don't see race cars crawling around the track like they're crippled in the rain. It's still pretty fast paced. It just seems like ice in GT5 instead of rain...

brentech

At this point I fully agree. We did a practice session with it a few days ago and people that I consider much better drivers than myself were often turned around.

With that and the fact that we're attempting to get more of gaf interested, I think it would turn off any new spectators.

Dibbz

Guys use the thread that mush just created in gaming discussion for this race. We need to big this up for next season :D

UFRA

MVP: Nabijemte - Super clean awesome race. What more can I say.
SOTS: Dibbz - Did a great job of safely maintaining his race on the first lap when he was unfortunately damaged by someone.

MVP: Nabijemte
SOTS: Dibbz

edit: When can we expect season 2? I have some suggestions I would like to make plus would love to here what others have in mind.

Dibbz

MVP: Nab - Solid race and you got through the first lap without damage
SoTs: Daisho - Kept on trucking throughout even with mega damage

Dead Man

Dibbz said:
MVP: Nab - Solid race and you got through the first lap without damage
SoTs: Daisho - Kept on trucking throughout even with mega damage
Awww shucks, my first nomination! :)

Mush said:
Fire away folks.
2 main suggestions, besides things in the questionnaire.

1. Light damage: Although I had plenty of fun with my 20 minute lap of the ring, I do think full damage can be aggravating more often than it helps reduce incidents.

2. Remove the MVP award: This might sounds a bit bitter, since I have never won it, and probably never will, but it is basically just an extra 15 points for the winner. I like the idea of it, but it seems to always to go the winner.

Toxa

congrats nab, good race ;)

well today I was the faster driver (with the slowest car) and when you decided to skip the qualify session you have sealed my fate :(
however I hope to get the point of fastest lap during the practice for my team.

I started the race in third position behind chim, He never to part in any practice with us for this race and he was incompetent ... he didn't know when/where the race started he was really slow while lazlow was already gone ... then chim spun and my car got damaged.

I was able to fight for the win today my race was screwed thank you ... :(

I want to apologize for my first lap (especially Mush sorry buddy) my car was crazy :(

when I managed to pit I was 1min behind the leader and 1.min40 after the pit stop

I pushed hard during the entire race, I managed to grab the third place again but it was too late to catch gutter.

like GVS my race will be unnoticed

that's all .

this season was unbalanced and all my complaint during the season was in order to make all the races fair for everyone

IMO the damages or the rain aren't the issue but the drivers.
seriously explain me how I manged to win a race in the rain with a huge gap (10s,30s,60s).

we should keep the damaged for season 2

Now I'm looking forward for the next season with the castrol supra 97

Toxa

Dead Man said:
Awww shucks, my first nomination! :)

2. Remove the MVP award: This might sounds a bit bitter, since I have never won it, and probably never will, but it is basically just an extra 15 points for the winner. I like the idea of it, but it seems to always to go the winner.

I had the MVP reward in the first race and I was second

1. Remove all race 'awards' let's keep it simple, point system from 16 -1pts, everyone gets something, encourages people to keep racing even if they are having a horrible race.

2. Light damage, it's too hardcore as is. The system is so unforgiving, there doesn't seem to be any sort of gradient for how much you incur. Above all though it makes the races boring, we shouldn't be having races where by lap 3 we are all spread out. No group racing takes place apart from possibly the first 3.

3. Return to grid starts. The current system is a nice idea in theory but can't be controlled, some people get too close, some people go to fast, some get too far away etc etc

4. The Ring, never again.

5. I think we should drop the grid to 12 week to week cars. Take the 6 most even and then everyone can race in a team of 2. The remaining 4 cars can then be assigned to other drivers who aren't available to race each week, these 4 cars only compete against each other but it is not as demanding. We haven't been able to get a full 16 grid and that leaves wasted space for participants. I have been available to race 7/8 races but haven't been able to take part due to the team system we have, I imagine there are others in this position. Although this might be null and void if there is more interest come season 2.

UFRA

My new votes for Season 2:

1. Light damage.

2. NO awards of any sort. It makes it unbalanced.

3. Allow standard model Super GT cars. I would like to use the WoodOne Tom's Supra.

4. Allow TCS.

5. IF we do rain races (including setting it to dynamic) I suggest we use "low" grip level settings rather than "real" just for weather races. For non-weather tracks, keep it on "real". IMO the "real" setting is ridiculous and makes for a stupid race overall. If we want to have weather, then for those specific races turning it to low would allow it to at least be fun and rainy at the same time.

Dead Man

UFRA said:
My new votes for Season 2:

1. Light damage.

2. NO awards of any sort. It makes it unbalanced.

3. Allow standard model Super GT cars. I would like to use the WoodOne Tom's Supra.

4. Allow TCS.

5. IF we do rain races (including setting it to dynamic) I suggest we use "low" grip level settings rather than "real" just for weather races. For non-weather tracks, keep it on "real". IMO the "real" setting is ridiculous and makes for a stupid race overall. If we want to have weather, then for those specific races turning it to low would allow it to at least be fun and rainy at the same time.
I like all of these except the no awards, I really like the SoTS award.

Dibbz

I dont think we should get rid of the awards, just don't give any points for them. Getting recognition for hagving the fastest lap or mvp is enough on its own imo.

I still feel heavy damage is fine even after todays race.

Toxa

Dibbz said:
I dont think we should get rid of the awards, just don't give any points for them. Getting recognition for hagving the fastest lap or mvp is enough on its own imo.

I still feel heavy damage is fine even after todays race.

yeah you have my support

UFRA

I agree with still giving the awards, but without points bonuses. That's what I meant by it makes it unbalanced.

Konosuke

I agree with Light damage, it's punishing enough and doesn't force a pit stop in order to remain competitive.
I think the MVP award should be removed and SoTS should stay.

And The Ring should stay, it's an epic end race.

ashk

UFRA said:

I don't mind allowing the standard cars, but the problem is that some of those cars are faster than the premiums. With the premiums already being slightly unbalanced themselves, introducing standard cars without any effort to keep a level playing field should be avoided. That said, there are standard cars that are of similar speed to the premiums. I'd suggest testing them and compiling a list of standards that aren't too quick and would be allowed for the league.

Remove the MVP award, keep the SOTS. And remove "most laps led", but keep pole and fastest lap of the race bonus points.

Top Bottom