• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Kaze13

weekend_warrior said:
Just come to the practice sessions then. It's really not fair to ask the other members to allow a spectator car on the track just for the sake of it. No one expects you to be disruptive, but accidents do happen, and it's not a risk worth taking.

that works for me.

edit: yes, I totally forgot about the practice sessions lol

Angst

Great write-up mush - I really like the idea of having a thread on the gaming forum on Saturday. As I'm not racing I'll be in the thread.

Mush

Angst said:
Great write-up mush - I really like the idea of having a thread on the gaming forum on Saturday. As I'm not racing I'll be in the thread.
I'm sure the mods won't mind.

Practice tomorrow gents?

ashk

Great preview Mush. 8 laps should be perfect, I just hope it doesn't rain :p

Speaking of rain, yesterday I was driving for 2 hours waiting for the rain to come to figure out the proper time to change tyres. Of course, it remained sunny for the whole time. I even did a rain dance (donuts on the start/finish straight) but it didn't come :(

Toxa

Mush said:
-The lobby will open at 20.00GMT. The aim is to get qualifying going by 20.45GMT AT THE ABSOLUTE LATEST with the race starting at 21.30GMT. Let me know if this works/doesn't work for you, we can still change it. :p

damn I can't watch my TV show :(

So I missed the last race which was my final race, would 'The Flaming Deers' be able to run two cars this weekend? Just bummed out that I missed my final race and would like a final hurrah.

ashk

Hey Mush, I've got a serious question/problem regarding night+rain that I'd like to hear your thoughts on (and anybody else's). Have you tried running night+rain for a longer period of time? I've tried doing a practice in those conditions this morning. The visibility is terrible, your headlight light up only about a quarter of the amount they usually do, which amounts to about 2 meters in front of the car. Now normally I wouldn't have a problem with that; it's the same for everybody so I'd just dealwithit.gif. But it's actually so bad that my eyes and head started to hurt from the strain after 20 minutes of driving.

I'd like to hear some thoughts about this, provided that the person giving them has tried those conditions themselves for a few laps. If it's just me I'll just shut up and try to get used to it. I'll probably do some laps in the evening, but if I don't feel better about it I may have to consider not even starting the race.

Angst

ashk said:
Hey Mush, I've got a serious question/problem regarding night+rain that I'd like to hear your thoughts on (and anybody else's). Have you tried running night+rain for a longer period of time? I've tried doing a practice in those conditions this morning. The visibility is terrible, your headlight light up only about a quarter of the amount they usually do, which amounts to about 2 meters in front of the car. Now normally I wouldn't have a problem with that; it's the same for everybody so I'd just dealwithit.gif. But it's actually so bad that my eyes and head started to hurt from the strain after 20 minutes of driving.

I'd like to hear some thoughts about this, provided that the person giving them has tried those conditions themselves for a few laps. If it's just me I'll just shut up and try to get used to it. I'll probably do some laps in the evening, but if I don't feel better about it I may have to consider not even starting the race.
In my opinion the headlights work differently in different cars. I tried my Xanavi yesterday and the headlights work fine. But when I tried another lap in another car I couldn't see shit. Have you tried other cars for reference?

Toxa

ashk said:

just deal with it :p

I agree, I tried with my car and the visibility is really poor with night+ rain but everyone will be in the same boat .

5 years development for this game and I'll be disappointed if we do not use these features

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7Uj7gBIfA&feature=fvw

:p

Dibbz

What lap times are you guys getting? I'm heading to the track now and just want to see how everyone is doing in both the dry and wet.

ashk

Angst said:
In my opinion the headlights work differently in different cars. I tried my Xanavi yesterday and the headlights work fine. But when I tried another lap in another car I couldn't see shit. Have you tried other cars for reference?

I haven't bothered trying another car since I'm limited to the Lexus for the race. But since you've mentioned it maybe I'll try another car to see if there's a difference (and maybe find another reason that the Lexus is inferior :p).

Toxa said:
just deal with it :p

I agree, I tried with my car and the visibility is really poor with night+ rain but everyone will be in the same boat .

5 years development for this game and I'll be disappointed if we do not use these features

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7Uj7gBIfA&feature=fvw

:p

I know it's the same for everyone (even though after Angst's post I'm not so sure), I've said that in my post and I don't mind racing in those conditions because I enjoy the challenge. The problem is that I'm feeling physical discomfort after 20 minutes of driving because the only part of my screen that I can vaguely see and that isn't pitch black (bit of an overstatement here, but you get the point) is approximately 2 meters in front of my car (even that part is pretty dim), which is making my eyes strain too much.

ashk

Angst said:

I've done some short "testing" now. The method I've used is lining up with the pole position grid spot in reverse direction and determining how far I can see. The difference between most cars' headlights is just the color of the light. Here's the list of the cars I tried, including some comments. If there's no comment then its headlight strength is average.

Eneos Lexus SC430
Bandai Lexus SC430 - strongest headlights
Denso Sard Lexus SC430
Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08
Xanavi Nismo Z - the only tested car with the ability to toggle low/high headlight position
Yellowhat Supra
Motul Autech GT-R
Raybrig NSX - weakest headlights

So much for "it's the same for everyone" :p

Dibbz

Toxa that's a good lap time. Tried the rain yet? I was getting around 8:20's Looks like I've got some work to do.

I tried that rain and holy hell you have to really really take it easy. I was about 3 minutes off or more when in the rain although I span a few times.

Some tips for racing in the rain:

Don't floor the accelerator when you're exiting a corner. There is no grip when the track is raining heavy and you'll spin out.

Braking hard can cause you to lose control. I have ABS at 1 and it still gave me problems.

Keep away from the kerbs. Even if you're careful if you touch a kerb you will spin.

Visibility in cockpit cam is really really low and I was testing it during the day. imagine what night is like. You have to really learn the track and have a mental image for the corners you're coming into because with rain and spray from other cars chances are you're not going to see much of the track.

When rain stops, the track is still wet. Don't think rain stopped so you can floor it.

Hope it helps :D

UFRA

Wow I thought all the cars would have high/low beam headlights. My GTR does.

I think it's official, the WOODONE ADVAN Clarion GT-R >>>>>>>>>>> All other Super GT cars.

Why?

-It has a horn.
-It has high beams.

lol

Gotta take care of a few things here quick then I'll be ready for practice.

Holy shit, we are going full dynamic. Need to practice the ring more at night and in the wet. This should be mental.

Personally I don't think GT5's weather system is very good and is broken in some aspects. Super Soft tires can yield faster lap times than wet tires even when the track appears soaking wet. Very poor visual feedback as to how dry the track is (spray at the rear of the car seems to be the best indicator), no racing line develops during light or stopping rain.

Juicy Bob

gutterboy44 said:
Personally I don't think GT5's weather system is very good and is broken in some aspects. Super Soft tires can yield faster lap times than wet tires even when the track appears soaking wet. Very poor visual feedback as to how dry the track is (spray at the rear of the car seems to be the best indicator), no racing line develops during light or stopping rain.
Yeah, that really messed me up during Monza qualifying.

Dibbz

I think that's where wheel users have an advantage. If you pay attention you can feel your car slip due to the resistance or lack of that you get e.g. the wheel will basically go light when you lose grip.

It's a small advantage because when you're losing grip your seconds from losing control but it's still a good measurement to see how the tracks condition is.

Obviously some visual aids would be nice such as racing line drying out. I've never noticed the track dry out but then again I've never driven in the rain long enough I don't think.

ashk

Dibbz said:
Obviously some visual aids would be nice such as racing line drying out. I've never noticed the track dry out but then again I've never driven in the rain long enough I don't think.

The only way I could safely determine the amount of water on the track is going into the pits and seeing which tyres the game recommends. Which is a very stupid way of doing things. The spray behind you can also be used, but it is larger or smaller depending on what speed you're going, plus it's very hard to precisely determine it's actual size just by looking behind you.

brentech

Just posted this in the main GT5 thread, but since we were discussing some of the numbers here the other day, I'll just quote myself and hopefully that will clear up some issues for some of you:

This may have been noted, but I just kind of noticed this right now.
We know the PP system has been weird, but one of the reasons I just saw is due to the update removing tires from the equation.

Apparently, the initial patch with PP set your points to their value with whatever tires the car had. When the next patch hit, it removed it, but didn't update the value in your garage listing. You can see the update value by 'opening' the car, but that still won't update the thumbnail or whatnot in the main garage menu.

To update the thumbnail, you actually need to go into the car's "tuning" menu. Upon exiting the tuning screen, the thumbnail will refresh with the correct PP.

I only noticed all this because I felt like many of my cars were way out of order, and upon looking into their stats and weight/power ratio, I noticed when I left the screen it would be correct.

Basically, I have a majority of the SuperGT cars at 598PP, instead of 630 or even 690 for one. Once I did the update, it went down to 598. That's not to say it's perfect though, because it's not like the weight/power ratios were even the same - so I'm not sure what makes them the same PP value.

Mush

brentech said:
Just posted this in the main GT5 thread, but since we were discussing some of the numbers here the other day, I'll just quote myself and hopefully that will clear up some issues for some of you:

Basically, I have a majority of the SuperGT cars at 598PP, instead of 630 or even 690 for one. Once I did the update, it went down to 598. That's not to say it's perfect though, because it's not like the weight/power ratios were even the same - so I'm not sure what makes them the same PP value.
If we could compile a list (because I've been unable to find one on the interwebs) of the PP values of all the Super GT cars that would make it whole lot easier for me trying to decide how we can balance the cars for next season. So far it's either make everything the same weight/power (everyone would have to add 50kg because of the Epson NSX to make it fair) or use the broken PP system. :/

Mush

OK, we were discussing this in the lobby earlier but I think it's best we put it to everyone.

Option 1:

4gDSZ.png

Pretty self explanatory. The race starts in parade formation as normal and then we begin racing proper on the exit of the Bit-Kurve. Advantages being that the track is much wider but the high speeds and the chicane at the end of the straight could potentially cause chaos.

Option 2:

The other option is much more simple. We start the race after crossing the line of the Nordschleife (where you would normally start a lap from). The corner entry speed is much slower than Option 1 but the track isn't as wide here as it is on the GP portion.

Dead Man

Mush said:
OK, we were discussing this in the lobby earlier but I think it's best we put it to everyone.

Option 1:

http://i.imgur.com/4gDSZ.png[IMG]

Pretty self explanatory. The race starts in parade formation as normal and then we begin racing proper on the exit of the Bit-Kurve. Advantages being that the track is much wider but the high speeds and the chicane at the end of the straight could potentially cause chaos.

Option 2:

The other option is much more simple. We start the race after crossing the line of the Nordschleife (where you would normally start a lap from). The corner entry speed is much slower than Option 1 but the track isn't as wide here as it is on the GP portion.[/QUOTE]
Option 1 for me, I think the wider track will be better. There is the hard left as the first corner otherwise, it is very narrow and very tight.

UFRA

Option 2. Slower speed coming into the first corner (less than 100MPH). Also it has a distinguished sector timer 'beep' we can use so that there's no confusion or question as to when the race starts.

ashk

As I said yesterday, I'm for option 2 because it's a 2nd gear corner going into a 2nd gear corner. Option 1 has a long straight in it where slipstream will come into play, and then hard braking for a tight chicane (possible site of accidents).

Toxa

ashk said:
As I said yesterday, I'm for option 2 because it's a 2nd gear corner going into a 2nd gear corner. Option 1 has a long straight in it where slipstream will come into play, and then hard braking for a tight chicane (possible site of accidents).

same, I agree I'll go for option 2

Dibbz

Quoted for new page.

-The lobby will open at 20.00GMT. The aim is to get qualifying going by 20.45GMT AT THE ABSOLUTE LATEST with the race starting at 21.30GMT. Let me know if this works/doesn't work for you, we can still change it. :p

As long as people fill the lobby before 20:45 and we do a track reset before qualification the grid order should be fine.

Option 2. The slower the better.

FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD TAKE IT EASY ON THE FIRST LAP

You are not going to win the race on lap 1, or 3, or even 6.

brentech

gutterboy44 said:
Option 2. The slower the better.

FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD TAKE IT EASY ON THE FIRST LAP

You are not going to win the race on lap 1, or 3, or even 6.
Agree
Also think people need to ensure you can pass 100% on the course if you're going to try. It's nearly impossible to do other than on the main straights so it really needs to be done with care anywhere else.

A wreck on this course is extremely costly.

When not on the back straight, the best way to pass someone on the ring is to pressure them. Fill up their rear view mirror and just drive consistently right on their tail. It is very hard to maintain focus when someone is hounding you, it forces mistakes. Once they go wide, easy pass, no contact, no issues.

This has been my "technique" for passing on the Ring since GPL and the original GTR F1C mod. It is a very hard track to pass on.

Angst

Dibbz said:
Quoted for new page.

As long as people fill the lobby before 20:45 and we do a track reset before qualification the grid order should be fine.
Metalmurphy says that in his experience the most certain way is to do a 1 lap race (maybe start in and then all exits as the Ring is pretty long). After a race all times are reset.

I think it's also a good idea to use the automatic start feature when starting the qualification, otherwise someone has to exit to the lounge to start the race. And it also makes it a better chance to actually start the race on time.

Good luck Dibbz! Race hard for Team Ni-San! :)

Ark

Hey, obviously I'm not part of this league but I've been lurking and followed this championship from the get-go, I'd just like to recommend that you use light damage for the 'Ring, or at least 'fix' the weather.

I did a 10 player championship finale on the 'Ring 24hr last week, we'd used heavy damage throughout the rest of the championship, but when the rain falls the almost everyone is going to spin unless you drive INCREDIBLY carefully, rain tyres in GT5 are no better than softs. Regarding the rolling starts, we went from the first corner of the Nordschielfe.

Just thought I'd give my two cents.

UFRA

gutterboy44 said:
When not on the back straight, the best way to pass someone on the ring is to pressure them. Fill up their rear view mirror and just drive consistently right on their tail. It is very hard to maintain focus when someone is hounding you, it forces mistakes. Once they go wide, easy pass, no contact, no issues.

This has been my "technique" for passing on the Ring since GPL and the original GTR F1C mod. It is a very hard track to pass on.

haha yeah that's actually true.

During practices, Toxa and Nabijemte do this to me all the time and I usually do make a stupid mistake.

Angst

Kaze13 said:
Somebody add me so I can join in on the practice at least. PSN Kaze13. GAFsuperGT hasn't added me yet :sadface
I can't connect to PSN, but will add you to the SuperGT account as soon as PSN is back.

I got disconnected from the lounge guys and couldn't even connect to PSN afterwards. No idea what happened. PSN down?

Top Bottom