• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Toxa

UFRA said:
I agree with still giving the awards, but without points bonuses. That's what I meant by it makes it unbalanced.

I agree the reward helped to unbalance the championship mainly because some cars was really slower.

If we manage to balance the difference in performance between cars for the next season I think we should be keep them.

you can remove fastest lap during the race, and most led lap reward but keep the other rewards, a good driver should be rewarded for his performance.

I think we should keep heavy damaged, my race was screwed by the damages and I'm not gonna cry for that and asked to remove the damages, this is racing you must live with that.

please mush keep the full damages

Toxa

ashk said:
I don't mind allowing the standard cars, but the problem is that some of those cars are faster than the premiums. With the premiums already being slightly unbalanced themselves, introducing standard cars without any effort to keep a level playing field should be avoided. That said, there are standard cars that are of similar speed to the premiums. I'd suggest testing them and compiling a list of standards that aren't too quick and would be allowed for the league.

I disagree it's the same to me, I tried the woodone supra and the GTR 03 and those car aren't faster than premium cars (GTR 08) same laptime.

but yeah if you want can test some cars

ashk

Toxa said:
I disagree it's the same to me, I tried the woodone supra and the GTR 03 and those car aren't faster than premium cars (GTR 08) same laptime.

but yeah if you want can test some cars

I admit I haven't done any proper testing, I got most of my impressions by jumping from my Lexus to a '03 GT-R which makes a noticeable difference. But if we allow standard cars there should at least be a test of the cars people chose to drive because of the different regulations that those cars were built for.

Kaze13

Toxa said:
I think we should keep heavy damaged, my race was screwed by the damages and I'm not gonna cry for that and asked to remove the damages, this is racing you must live with that.

please mush keep the full damages

I haven't participated yet but I agree, full damage or bust. However, when it comes to Nurburgring, I'd say it's fair for it to be put on light damage (voted in). I prefer full damage all the way though. The way I look at it, I'm at around 90% during races. Reserving 10% for errors/pushing to the limit when needed. I will not race at 100% or push past that and risk my car or somebody else's ride. I hope everybody agrees with me. Also, at night/weather conditions, that error margin is even larger. For me, in those conditions, I deduct another 20% to 30%.

Angst

1. Heavy damage - except on the Ring.
2. TCS should be allowed.
3. Standard Super GT cars should be allowed after we've tested them in off-season.
4. No points for most laps lead, STS or MVP.
5. Let's do longer races - 45 minutes to 1 hour.
6. The Ring should definitely stay. Bring in Sarthe as well :)

Toxa

Kaze13 said:
I haven't participated yet but I agree, full damage or bust. However, when it comes to Nurburgring, I'd say it's fair for it to be put on light damage (voted in). I prefer full damage all the way though. The way I look at it, I'm at around 90% during races. Reserving 10% for errors/pushing to the limit when needed. I will not race at 100% or push past that and risk my car or somebody else's ride. I hope everybody agrees with me. Also, at night/weather conditions, that error margin is even larger. For me, in those conditions, I deduct another 20% to 30%.

I glad to see that you support full damage ;) but I think we should keep damages (full) whatever the track.

except the first lap I managed to keep my car intact during the entire race, I fought with dibbz twice, mush, and gained almost 1min on nabijente and no damages and I can do the same in the rain.

you must learn to make a clean race .

my vote :

sots : daisho or brentech
MVP: gutterboy

Toxa

Angst said:
1. Heavy damage - except on the Ring.
2. TCS should be allowed.
3. Standard Super GT cars should be allowed after we've tested them in off-season.
4. No points for most laps lead, STS or MVP.
5. Let's do longer races - 45 minutes to 1 hour.
6. The Ring should definitely stay. Bring in Sarthe as well :)

1 agreed on all track :p
2 agreed
3 agreed
4 keep sts and MVP
5 + 10000
6 agreed with ring but at le mans endless battle with splistream IMO :( bring trial mountain :p or autumn ring

If heavy damage stays 100% next season that is fine. I think it would be important to start deducting points for reckless driving though. Clearly the damage factor was not a deterrent at all. I paid the price every race for someone else's error. This season taught me to get mad less and how to drive with a damaged car for a few laps, not how to race better. I would race ultra clean and then just get rear ended or side swiped. What is the point? They clearly don't give a shit about their race and end up a back marker after lap 3, but I really care and practice and look forward to this but suffer from their carelessness over and over.

If heavy damage stays, we need to address some additional penalties and restrictions on the field.

Angst

gutterboy44 said:
If heavy damage stays, we need to address some additional penalties and restrictions on the field.
Absolutely. Mush need to lay down the law. :)

Edit - one more thing: Stay away from the chat during races. I've missed brake points because text suddenly flashes on the screen. D:

Dibbz

Angst said:
Absolutely. Mush need to lay down the law. :)

Edit - one more thing: Stay away from the chat during races. I've missed brake points because text suddenly flashes on the screen. D:
Tell me about it. It's annoying when someone gets on the chat in the middle of a race. My eye is always drawn towards it and it can really fuck you up.

No one is going to respond to you during a race so don't post!

I'd like to keep heavy damage but after sleeping on it I think light damage would allow us to have closer races.

One more thing I agree with Angst that the races should be slightly longer. I really enjoyed the length of the race yesterday.

brentech

First on the docket: the damage debate.
I agree with Gutterboy, in that, if we keep heavy damage; there needs to be some penalties involved (foreseen problem with this solution is that there would be some required post-race decisions for Mush/crew that will obviously take some time).

Angst said:
1. Heavy damage - except on the Ring. Would be fine, if above system used
2. TCS should be allowed. meh, rather not
3. Standard Super GT cars should be allowed after we've tested them in off-season. for sure
4. No points for most laps lead, STS or MVP. agree
5. Let's do longer races - 45 minutes to 1 hour.fine with it, but with NRL as well - I think current race length is more suitable

Angst said:
Also completely agree here.

UFRA said:
5. IF we do rain races (including setting it to dynamic) I suggest we use "low" grip level settings rather than "real" just for weather races. For non-weather tracks, keep it on "real". IMO the "real" setting is ridiculous and makes for a stupid race overall. If we want to have weather, then for those specific races turning it to low would allow it to at least be fun and rainy at the same time.
I have not tested this to know that it would work, but barring a successful test, this is the only way I could see us enjoying a rain race.

gutterboy44 said:
If heavy damage stays 100% next season that is fine. I think it would be important to start deducting points for reckless driving though. Clearly the damage factor was not a deterrent at all. I paid the price every race for someone else's error. This season taught me to get mad less and how to drive with a damaged car for a few laps, not how to race better. I would race ultra clean and then just get rear ended or side swiped. What is the point? They clearly don't give a shit about their race and end up a back marker after lap 3, but I really care and practice and look forward to this but suffer from their carelessness over and over.

The problem with penalties and restrictions is they are after the fact deterrents. The crash has happened, someones race potentially ruined. The thing I don't get with the arguments for heavy damage is this. We are a field of 12-14 on race day and it has been proven over and over again that from that field there are only a handful of drivers capable of racing without incident, so why do we keep pushing square pegs in round holes? I think the suggestion of 'You need to be better drivers' is a ludicrous thing to be saying to people, it's not as people are giving 2 hours of their Saturday to just piss about and not give the race their best.

Introducing penalties is just going to punish the people who aren't as good as others and I think insisting the league be super hardcore is exclusive rather than inclusive. I don't know how long people are expecting this league to go on but I had hoped we would get multiple seasons out of this. Let's give people a chance to grow into the league rather than constantly pushing them down because they aren't as good, we have already lost a few people because of this.

My thoughts:

1. Only 3 teams, each team has 4-5 racers, each race 3 racers from each team particapate, and the top 2 positions are what counts toward the team standing.

Reasons: GT5 has been out a while now and not as many people are consistently actively playing it, as shown many teams have gone without representation for weeks. Larger teams makes this less likely, and 3 racers per race allows the hardcore (I want to race every week) and softcore (I'd rather just participate is practices and the occasional race) to play harmoniously. Taking the top 2 results only allows two things: 1. Us lesser racers have a chance to feel like we're contributing. I know way ahead of race time that I'm not going to being competing for 1st place, but a solid middle pack finish can still net good points for my team. 2. Having a good race doesn't hurt your team either because that score won't be counted.

2. Scrap the MVP and SoTS awards for more straight forward awards. Examples: 5 points for not causing a crash, 2 points for being on time during qualifying, -20 points for hitting somebody during the parade lap.

3. Keep the parade lap. It works, we know it works, we've tested and it works. Certain people just need this tattooed to their eyeballs. KEEP YOUR DISTANCE FROM THE PERSON IN FRONT OF YOU. IF A TURN IS COMING UP EXPECT SLOW DOWNS.

4. Heavy damage. Light damage is lame.

5. 1 race/week, alternating times to accommodate all regions.

6. Allow standard cars, pretest all cars to insure equality.

edit: to echo others:

7: Longer races, not too much longer, but closer to 45 minutes to an hour rather then 30 minutes that some have been.

8. Penalties for careless driving- YES.

9. 2 scheduled weekly practices sessions (along with anytime unscheduled sessions), with a minimum mandatory amount spent participating. ~ hour

UFRA

I would like to see Season 2's grand finale happen on De La Sarthe, with a similar kind of endurance/time change format as Season 1's finale. :)

Dibbz

I suggest we get some testing sessions in sometime this week. I propose we do a race with Light Damage and see how everyone gets on since it still seems we are all split on which one to go for.

Ok before we talk about the rules for season 2 we should really determine what we want from season 2. Do we want lots o participants, a range of skill levels and less seriousness or do we want to hone our hardcore edge and tweak regulations.

A consideration- lets have a short Pre Race that determines the grid. Reckless driving in the Pre race is where we can quickly hand out the grid penalties for the main race. It will be a short race so reviews will be quick. Hopefully this calls out the sloppy drivers and the will suffer grid penalties for the main points giving race. Putting them at the back should keep them safe as well as the front drivers.

brentech

So glad people are using the 'final round' thread to shit up their grievances. That's just the kind of attention we're looking for!

Seriously, what the fucking hell.

Angst

brentech said:
So glad people are using the 'final round' thread to shit up their grievances. That's just the kind of attention we're looking for!

Join the league for the awesome races, stay around for the soap drama!

brentech

Anyways, wanting to test some of these cars out, both premium and standards. Curious what kind of guidelines you guys used for NGRL.

I was going through and maxing out the downforce on all the Super GT cars I have. Keeping stock settings for suspension and LSD. But changing transmission and brakes to all the same.
While doing this, I noticed that some cars have quite different downforce capabilities. Kind of interesting that because the Tom's Castrol gets such a boost from the oil change and higher downforce than all the other cars I've set so far, it actually has one of the highest PPs.

People always say that F1 lacks personalities.

Don't worry, GT5 has many several larger reasons keeping people from joining the league. The least we can do is make it seem lively.

We need a thread to discuss what we want from season 2. The blend of hardcore and entry level just leads to this drama.

UFRA

brentech said:
Anyways, wanting to test some of these cars out, both premium and standards. Curious what kind of guidelines you guys used for NGRL.

I was going through and maxing out the downforce on all the Super GT cars I have. Keeping stock settings for suspension and LSD. But changing transmission and brakes to all the same.
While doing this, I noticed that some cars have quite different downforce capabilities. Kind of interesting that because the Tom's Castrol gets such a boost from the oil change and higher downforce than all the other cars I've set so far, it actually has one of the highest PPs.

Luckily these cars don't require tuning parts like we had to buy for cars in the NRL, so testing them will be much less complicated. You're doing everything right from what you have listed there. Just pick a track that you can be consistent on and it's easiest to do your testing in an online lounge so you can easily switch from one car to the next.

brentech

Really quick as I've just tested a handful of the premiums that I had on hand.

Woodone Advan Clarion GT-R '08 1.02.643 Touchy
Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08 1.02.708 Super stable, glued to road
YellowHat YMS Supra '05 1.02.729
Raybrig NSX '06 1.02.727
Calsonic IMPUL GT-R '08 1.02.966
Castrol TOM's SUPRA '97 1.02.367

The Woodone and the Xanavi are like exact opposites in terms of handling with default settings.

I put all cars transmissions to a max of 310km/h. All cars given their max downforce. This was simply done on the high speed ring. (edit: I also drove all cars in automatic to drop another possible difference)

UFRA

Ah ha! I knew it! I always thought my Woodone GTR felt really weird. I'm glad to see someone else thought this as well.

However, I wouldn't test on the High Speed Ring. Use a more techincal course that features more braking and acceleration. This will screen out cars that are too powerful, where as a track like HSR simply tests high end speed, which even a weaker car can achieve.

Notice how your times are all nearly identical. It's too hard to determine unbalanced cars from those results when we know they're not all that close in performance.

Glad to see you have a decent amount of premiums. I only have my Woodone GTR. Other than that, I have at least 3 standards that I'll be able to test (Takata Dome NSX, Woodone Tom's Supra, Denso Sard Supra).

brentech

Yeah, was thinking of swapping tracks, but couldn't decide on one at the time. Would like something in the 1.20-1.30 range. Will have a look after I find all my standards and get them all set correctly.

Toxa

brentech said:

we are just sharing our point of views, there's no insult or hatred like "fuc...." xD

I respect everybody (on the board or on the track), I love racing with you guys, but IMO I thinks it is important to say what is good, unfair or
wrong.

it's important for the next season

gutterboy44 said:
Ok before we talk about the rules for season 2 we should really determine what we want from season 2. Do we want lots o participants, a range of skill levels and less seriousness or do we want to hone our hardcore edge and tweak regulations.

A consideration- lets have a short Pre Race that determines the grid. Reckless driving in the Pre race is where we can quickly hand out the grid penalties for the main race. It will be a short race so reviews will be quick. Hopefully this calls out the sloppy drivers and the will suffer grid penalties for the main points giving race. Putting them at the back should keep them safe as well as the front drivers.

I vote for hardcore :p but I'm willing to enable light damages only for the race in the rain :)

weekend_warrior said:
4. Heavy damage. Light damage is lame.

5. 1 race/week, alternating times to accommodate all regions.

6. Allow standard cars, pretest all cars to insure equality.

9. 2 scheduled weekly practices sessions (along with anytime unscheduled sessions), with a minimum mandatory amount spent participating. ~ hour

+ 10000 especially the mandatory practice it might be helpful to avoid unfortunate accident

brentech

My post was simply in regards to using THAT thread as your outlet.

Since Mush posted it in order to hopefully draw the attention of some possible drivers and spectators, it seemed like that type of discussion in that venue would only do the opposite.

Toxa

brentech said:
My post was simply in regards to using THAT thread as your outlet.

Since Mush posted it in order to hopefully draw the attention of some possible drivers and spectators, it seemed like that type of discussion in that venue would only do the opposite.

wihch one ? here (community) or the gaming thread ?

brentech

brentech said:
So glad people are using the 'final round'....
The one in gaming that was made for the sole reason of promoting our league. But whatever, I'm sure pretty much everyone interested is already involved. I don't think any outsiders posted in the thread beyond the first page.

I exited the stream prior to the race starting, but I do think we had about double the viewers on the channel. Vis would have to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Angst

brentech said:
I exited the stream prior to the race starting, but I do think we had about double the viewers on the channel. Vis would have to correct me if I'm wrong though.
I think it was something like that. Around 21 viewers? Not exactly F1, but pretty good :)

Dibbz

There is a lot of discussion going on in here but no action. Let me be the first to announce a date and time for testing.

Testing Session #1

What we are testing: We will have a short race, 15 laps (too long?) on Light Damage.

Expected results: A decision on what we will go for with Season 2 regarding damage.

Thursday - 21:00 GMT

Track: Laguna Seca (tight track easy for mistakes to occur)

Let me know if you can make it. Will be hosted in the GAFSuperGT lounge.

Angst

^Mush has some plans and I think he will be doing an announcement shortly.

But we should definitely run with your idea and hold a practice session on Thursday. I don't think the Aussies and Kiwis will join though as it's Friday morning for them...

Toxa

Dibbz said:
There is a lot of discussion going on in here but no action. Let me be the first to announce a date and time for testing.

Testing Session #1

What we are testing: We will have a short race, 15 laps (too long?) on Light Damage.

Expected results: A decision on what we will go for with Season 2 regarding damage.

that's more like it :p

you are the new showrunner ? xD

I'm in ;)

Dibbz

lol nope toxa I will go missing for days on end :p I just felt that we should get this train moving since we can't seem to agree on much.

Shame you can't make it Niks. What time would that be over in your time zone?

Mush

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Polyphony, Playstation - March 8, 2011
"NeoGAF Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Announces It's Plans For The New Season"

After a successful Season 1, the NeoGAF Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League is going bigger, with the announcement of a Season 2. But before that gets under way, the League would like announce some exciting new additions to it's line-up. Known for their hard work with the Gran Turismo 5 NeoGAF Racing League (NRL), we would like to welcome Angst and UFRA to our hard working cause! These members will become official representatives for the League and be able to act as my right (and left) hand men when Mush is not available. Angst and UFRA were selected not only because of their on-going work in the the absence of the main organiser of the Gran Turismo 5 NeoGAF Racing League (NRL), but because they are perfectly placed through out different areas and time zones as shown in the diagram below:

xeHJo.png

This makes both represents perfectly placed to answer all of your questions and break up any fights that may occur while either one of us is away.

As well as the announcement of these members, the NeoGAF Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League would like to announce it's pre-season testing plans. All drivers who took part in Season 1 are invited to take part in these test sessions, which will be on the following dates:

Session 1: March 19, 2011 @ TBA
Session 2: March 26, 2011 @ TBA

The purpose of these sessions will be to test new rules and regulations for Season 2. Once we have decided on the format that will be used for Season 2, we will open registrations and formally start the lead-up to the new Season.

"The new Season will build upon the format that made Season 1 of the NeoGAF Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League such a runaway success." says Mush, chairman of the board for the Super GT League. "We hope we will be able to exceed all expectations for the new Season and set the standard for all other Leagues to follow*."

*The NeoGAF Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League is a non-profit organisation and supports all other Leagues under the NeoGAF Racing League banner.
Please visit our website at http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=414255

Dead Man

Dibbz said:

Testing Session #1

Might be able to make it, but sadly probably not. If not I hope you guys get some good racing.

Edit: LOL, that's what I get for leaving tabs open so long.

Angst

Dibbz said:

Testing Session #1

Good initiative dibbz! Mush isn't sure he can be there, but I'll join :) 10 laps maybe better though?

Mush

When and Where?

Thursday, March 10 @ 21.00GMT in the Super GT Lounge.
If you haven't already, add GAFsuperGT to your PSN friends list. Once you have been accepted, go to the Community tab in GT5 and scroll down to GAFsuperGT and select the Lounge coffee cup icon.

Who can race?

Anyone!

Attendee list

Dibbz
Angst
UFRA
Toxa
Konosuke
ashk
Ark
Permadeath
Kaze13

Dibbz

Glad that a few more of you can make it. Very cool post Mush, good to see the league has reps in 3 different regions.

I just want to say that everyone who is looking to be in Season 2 should try to get in these testing sessions that have been announced. No good not taking part and then complaining about what decisions have been taken.

Ark

Mush said:
When and Where?

Thursday, March 10 @ 21.00GMT in the Super GT Lounge.
If you haven't already, add GAFsuperGT to your PSN friends list. Once you have been accepted, go to the Community tab in GT5 and scroll down to GAFsuperGT and select the Lounge coffee cup icon.

Who can race?

Anyone!

Please excuse my incompetence, but I presume that means I could come along too?

I've lurked the whole season (wasn't validated unfortunately) and I'd love to take part if you're open to new sign ups. You'll have to take my word on being a clean driver, but I've already completed two championships in GT5 (and an 11-week long F1 2010 championship), around 7-10 weeks long each (one with heavy damage & rolling starts too).

Angst

Ark said:
Please excuse my incompetence, but I presume that means I could come along too?

I've lurked the whole season (wasn't validated unfortunately) and I'd love to take part if you're open to new sign ups. You'll have to take my word on being a clean driver, but I've already completed two championships in GT5 (and an 11-week long F1 2010 championship), around 7-10 weeks long each (one with heavy damage & rolling starts too).
You are certainly welcome to the practice session on Thursday. We will do a sign up for the second season later - just register then and we will see how many sign ups we get.

Top Bottom