• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Toxa

brentech said:
Love it, epic stuff, minus a spinout in the middle of final lap for me =(
Really like that Calsonic, so much better than my YellowHat Supra.

I didn't try your Yellow supra but I know it was a slow car ... if you like the calsonic take it !
you were fighting with nab and IMO that's impressive.

Niks

Official press release.

Team Foxtrot Oscar prepares for the new season.

After a disappointing first season, which saw the team Foxtrot Oscar tie for 5th place with team NZGR in the final standings, it seems the team is taking all the steps necessary to start the next season with a bang.

Battling all season with an ill handling car, team Foxtrot Oscar showed glimpses of being able to compete for wins during the season. The team had a roller coaster of a season which included a third place at Grand Valley Speedway, a second place at Fuji Speedway and a pole and fastest lap at Monza, but also included a DNF at Tokyo and driver mistakes at Monza and Laguna Seca compromised the chances of a higher place in the standings.

Despite the results, sponsor Woodone is currently in talks to remain as the teams title sponsor for next season. "Although we currently have offers from other sponsors, Woodone has been a great sponsor for us so far, so hopefully we will have them on board for next season." commented ace driver UFRA. The representative from Woodone added "we see the potential in this team and its drivers, so its natural that we want to continue in this partnership for a long time."

However things are not going so smoothly with car manufacturer Nissan. Its no secret the team has been very vocal about how the car didn't live up to expectations during the season. Outspoken driver Niks was quoted saying the following during the Awards Ceremony "Im actually surprised both UFRA and I did as good as we did in that car... even with massive changes to its setup the car was complicated to drive.."

Rumor is the team is switching to a Toyota powered car for next season, since talks with Nissan seem to be at a standstill. The team however, declined to confirm on any speculations at this point. "We obviously want the best equipment for our drivers and team to be competitive, more so in a league as heavily disputed as this one. Both our drivers are excited for the new season and can’t wait to get in the car again” the teams managing director said on Monday. The team drivers UFRA and Niks will continue to drive for the Foxtrot Oscar team next season as they are still in contract to the team.

Its early in the off-season and it seems silly season is currently in full swing as many teams are restructuring and the governing body has yet to announce a definitive rule set for next season. But it certainly looks like Team Foxtrot Oscar is on the right track and they very well may be next seasons dark horse.

Toxa

LMAO it's well written man awesome speech I love it xD

we should make some interviews after the races and throughout the season !

Awesome.

I´ll have to do one for my team, after all, writing press releases is what i do for a living, so might as well make something for the SuperGT league.

Hot of the presses:

“One cup is not enough”

Winner drivers unite, form new independent team

2K Runners teammates FASJ6418 and Chimilosky have agreed to form an independent team for the upcoming season of NeoGAF´s SuperGT league. “All I can say is that we will continue to run a Nissan factory based team. We don´t know for sure which model we will drive, but we will have full support from Nissan in our quest to defend the title”.
FASJ started the season not knowing how much support he would get from 2K Runners, and ended up being abandoned on the third race of the season. “We got off to a rocky start. A day before the first race I wasn´t sure if I was a part of the team, and then I just got abandoned”, explained FASJ.

A new beginning

To change fortunes, FASJ and long time friend Chimilosky decided to create a new team, Buiu Racing Grand Prix (BRGP). “We are both Brazilians so we felt like we didn´t belong there anymore. Altough we do play 2K, we felt it was better to get a fresh start in a team where we called all the shots”, said Chimilosky. The Polish-bred driver, got a call from FASJ in the middle of the season, and quickly ditched his other options to rescue his friend, left with no teammate and in risk of losing the season because on non fulfilled contracs. “I just had to do it. I love SuperGT and the timing was perfect. I remember I answered the phone and just said i´m in”.

BRGP start season two will full support from Nissan. “Our goal is to repeat both as drivers champions and team champions”, said team spokesman FASJ6418. The Brazilian commented on the rule changes, and expects a fierce competition in all races. “I hope the rules are not too harsh on team success. JGTC has had some experience with artificial parity, so I hope that´s not the case here. I´m sure Mush Mosley will make the right decisions, and I look forward to a 10 race schedule instead of 8”.

The team is testing out five Nissan models, but is mum about which one it will pick. “I do have my favorite, but the picks are up to the rules and also to what package we will be able to run. The rules can make or break our choice of cars”, defended Chimilosky.

Season two is set to begin in april, and BRGP is running to get sponsorships and deals done before the start. “We´re working on t-shirts, logos, things like that. But the real framework was already done, by reaching a deal to remain with Nissan. The rest will work itself out”, assured FASJ.

Drivers PR´s will be handed out to the media tomorrow. Stay tuned for more news!

Angst

*bows down to Niks and seattle* That was amazingly well written. Makes my post about gutterboy and me teaming up look pretty sad though... I think I have to write something more appropriate later today.

Regarding Official Super GT Season 2 news: We have made a lot of decisions and rule changes - among them what cars will be eligible. I had hoped to post the news yesterday, but we're still ironing out the last kinks, so it's not quite ready yet.

Driver and Team sign-ups will start sometime next week and you will have to have a team mate to be able to pick a car. That's why I told you guys to start looking for team mates. If you don't have a team mate you can say what car you would like and hope to get a team mate later - but if a team with 2 drivers pick the same car before you get a second driver that team will get the car.

All posts in this thread about what car you will be using / want to use for next season has no impact whatsoever. I.e. UFRA has used the Woodone Supra in practice sessions but that makes him no more eligible for the car than everyone else. Same thing goes for toxa, dibbz, me et cetera.

All driver and team sign-ups will start next week. It's cool that we post the info about our team mates here, but to make it official you will have to wait until we give the green light.

Toxa

Angst said:
*bows down to Niks and seattle* That was amazingly well written. Makes my post about gutterboy and me teaming up look pretty sad though... I think I have to write something more appropriate later today.

Regarding Official Super GT Season 2 news: We have made a lot of decisions and rule changes - among them what cars will be eligible. I had hoped to post the news yesterday, but we're still ironing out the last kinks, so it's not quite ready yet.

Driver and Team sign-ups will start sometime next week and you will have to have a team mate to be able to pick a car. That's why I told you guys to start looking for team mates. If you don't have a team mate you can say what car you would like and hope to get a team mate later - but if a team with 2 drivers pick the same car before you get a second driver that team will get the car.

All posts in this thread about what car you will be using / want to use for next season has no impact whatsoever. I.e. UFRA has used the Woodone Supra in practice sessions but that makes him no more eligible for the car than everyone else. Same thing goes for toxa, dibbz, me et cetera.

All driver and team sign-ups will start next week. It's cool that we post the info about our team mates here, but to make it official you will have to wait until we give the green light.

both drivers must be there the same day to confirm which car they want to drive, or one teamates is enough ?

Angst

Toxa said:
both drivers must be there the same day to confirm which car they want to drive, or one teamates is enough ?
We're still thinking about how it should be done, but the way I'm thinking is that one guy can sign up for both drivers at the same time.

Angst

brentech said:
Dead Man, your team drives the car I desire, but you're teammate is on the outs, just like mine -- so, teammates? =D
I'd send him a PM as well as I haven't seen him around here for a while. I have to clarify that because he had the car in season 1 he doesn't necessarily have first dibs on it for season 2. :p

Risk Breaker said:
So... anyone want to form a team with me? :D I like the lexus! I don't mind being last! I can help with the tuning! I'm no Vettel!

Anyone? :(
To help you out a bit:
I've had the pleasure of doing practice sessions with Risk Breaker and even though he wasn't in the first season he is a very good driver. He was on my own list of potential team mates for season 2. :)

Same advice for you - send out those PMs to the ones you want to team up with.

brentech

Was in the midst of typing this prior to your response:

In regards to all this, kind of curious why this decision was made. I know you want it to be different cars like real world, but being that we're not pro drivers, wouldn't make more sense to make sure everyone is in the car of their liking so they can actually control it and make the league more competetive?

Basically seems like a one persons choice and another shoehorned into driving a vehicle that may not be stable for themselves.

Toxa

Angst said:
We're still thinking about how it should be done, but the way I'm thinking is that one guy can sign up for both drivers at the same time.

ok I hope so xD Official press release from my team next week

Angst

brentech said:

In regards to all this, kind of curious why this decision was made. I know you want it to be different cars like real world, but being that we're not pro drivers, wouldn't make more sense to make sure everyone is in the car of their liking so they can actually control it and make the league more competetive?

Basically seems like a one persons choice and another shoehorned into driving a vehicle that may not be stable for themselves.
No, that's exactly the opposite of what we're thinking. We want people to team up with someone that wants to drive the same car. Last season people (like you) where shoehorned into cars they didn't really want and we want to avoid that as far as possible this season.

Also consider the fact that this time you are with us from the beginning and should have an easier time to find a good match both in team mate and cars. If you want to drive a Nissan it might be a good idea to have some alternatives though. I won't be in the Fairlady and as you know it's one of the quickest cars around.
Toxa said:
ok I hope so xD Official press release from my team next week
Will you team up with RounD again?

Toxa

Angst said:
Will you team up with RounD again?

before the last race ('ring) we agreed to stay together for next season with the supra and it was still ok the last week.

but he has the right to change his mind so far he didn't tell me if he wanted to drive another car.

officially Capsule Corp Racing will remain the same team and will go with the supra the next week hopefully.

Niks

So I guess you guys are going to give a specific time and day for registering your car on a first come first serve basis?

Thats how I'm understanding it anyway.

brentech

So, will throw out a team request. Mostly need a reliable co-driver as I know my availability only every two weeks. Basically would like someone that's okay with switching things up during the season as we need.
Want to drive a Nissan, mostly the Calsonic. Though I know a few others I'm okay with.
Hit me up.

Dead Man

brentech said:
Dead Man, your team drives the car I desire, but you're teammate is on the outs, just like mine -- so, teammates? =D
I'd be more than happy to team with you, but I want a non GT-R car this season, so consider the car free.

Thanks for the kind words Angst, they're very appreciated.

Toxa said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebEMJy4cznQ&feature=relmfu

Wish we had this car in an update or something, sounds and looks SICK. <3 Raybrig liveries.

Dead Man said:
I'd be more than happy to team with you, but I want a non GT-R car this season, so consider the car free.

I'd be happy to race with a GT-R, Calsonic or Xanavi I don't really mind. Do you want to team up with me brentech? :p I should be available for every race unless I'm on a weekend trip.

UFRA

brentech said:

The main reason for this is because last season, we had numerous people choose a car without having a teammate. When the season start came up, we still had people without teammates in their cars and Mush had to frantically try to find people to throw into the seat. We also had some of those people without a teammate just bail out on the league as well, which is why we never even saw a full grid.

So this time, we're hoping if people have two committed members right off the bat, it will help things go more smoothly and avoid that crazy rush to fill slots right before the season starts.

Niks said:
So I guess you guys are going to give a specific time and day for registering your car on a first come first serve basis?

Thats how I'm understanding it anyway.

Yup, that's right. In our case Niks, since we have signed our contracts for the team for Season 2, we're all set. We just need to make sure we are first to reserve the car we want. :) Whichever one of us is available on GAF the day of sign-ups can post to reserve it, and we just mention our team is UFRA and Niks.

Angst

BJZIh.png

OK, here it comes, we have finally decided what cars will be available for Season 2 of the Neogaf Super GT league!

Standard cars will be allowed.

All Premium Super GT and almost all Standard JGTC cars will be available for people to reserve for their team.

As posted above you MUST have a team mate who is willing to drive with you before you pick a car.

Furthermore, we will only allow ONE team use one of the duplicate liveries. For example once a team has reserved the Takata NSX '03 car, the duplicate, in this case the Takata NSX '06 will be removed.

The duplicate livery clause applies to the following cars: (list subject to change :p)

Calsonic GT-R '00 / Calsonic GT-R '08
Pennzoil GT-R '99 / Pennzoil GT-R '01
Xanavi Nismo GT-R '03 / Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08
Raybrig NSX '00 / Raybrig NSX '06
ARTA NSX '00 / ARTA NSX '06
Takata NSX '03 / Takata NSX '06
Castrol Supra '97 / Castrol Supra '00 / Castrol Supra '01

The clause does NOT apply to the following cars, even though they share team sponsors/name:

Toyota Woodone '03 / Nissan Woodone '08
Nissan Xanavi '06
Toyota Yellow Hat '05 / Nissan Yellow Hat '08

Excluded cars:
Calsonic Skyline '93
Nomad Diablo '00

Cars will still be stock, with no tuning parts, other than soft tyres and rigidity improvement. This does not apply to the Lexus cars, which will be allowed a stage 2 turbo.

This will make the list of available cars a lot bigger than it was in season 1 and by removing the duplicate liveries as people pick cars we will still have a realistic line-up of unique cars. We have been thinking about this a lot and we hope this solution will make everyone happy.

For an overview of all the cars available (minus the Diablo), please look at Seattle's awesome list

We have also made the decision that we will use a BHP / Weight restriction. Currently the restriction is 502 BHP / 1100 kg. This restriction might be tweaked if tests turn out badly, but the races we had on Nürburgring GP/F was at these settings and it worked very well.

Rigidity improvement is of course optional.

REGISTRATION WILL START NEXT WEEK AND THE EXACT TIME AND DATE WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN ADVANCE This way everyone will have a fair chance of forming a team and deciding on the car they want.

The Seattle Clause: No driver may race more than 2 race weekends in a row.

Maximum number of teams will be 14, we will have a list of substitute drivers where the drivers that can't commit to enough races or drivers who can't find a team can sign up.

We will enforce a weight penalty for winning cars. More details to come as soon as UFRA's brilliant solution get a patent
after we've tested it a bit

brentech

Yeah, I get that - I guess my response wasn't put into good context as I was typing the message in a rush while walking through Costco with the wife.

While the pairing of drivers at last minute is no doubt an issue, it would essentially not matter if a team isn't stuck using a specific car and everyone had just used what the wanted - was my main point.

As I did mention to say though, was that I realize you guys probably just want it to feel more like a team thing, and make sure the drivers are using the same car. So, I understand on that level and am not trying make a change at this point - just clarifying my statement above.
Like, if Risk hadn't stepped forward and I couldn't find a teammate, I probably wouldn't race if the only available teammate for me was dead set on a Honda NSX, cause I don't feel comfortable driving those cars by and large.

I just wanted to make sure people feel like they're getting a fair shake. Baring that everyone finds a teammate early and car choices aren't all the same - it seems this should work out.

Angst said:
Team tech breaker! ;)

Haha, let's hope not. Bren Risker doesn't sound quite as good though.

Read the rules, I'm fine with all of those and understand them all. I just hope we can get a car similar enough to what we want. I wouldn't be able to race with an NSX either, I'm afraid.

BRGP signing in

Drivers - FASJ6418 and Chimilosky
Car - Xanavi Nismo GT-R ´08

In real life, this car was a teammate of the Motul Autech we used for season one. However, the Autech has a standard added ballast of 30 kilos, and since ballast will be used in season 2, we decided to change cars and go with the ballast free (at least in round one :D) GT-R.

If this is not possible, we will either stick with the Autech or get a different Nissan.

But since i´m posting quickly and basically "calling it dibs", i guess we´re good.

Angst

seattle6418 said:
BRGP signing in

Drivers - FASJ6418 and Chimilosky
Car - Xanavi Nismo GT-R ´08

In real life, this car was a teammate of the Motul Autech we used for season one. However, the Autech has a standard added ballast of 30 kilos, and since ballast will be used in season 2, we decided to change cars and go with the ballast free GT-R.

If this is not possible, we will either stick with the Autech or get a different Nissan.

But since i´m posting quickly and basically "calling it dibs", i guess we´re good.
Sorry seattle, you can't pick a car until the sign-ups open next week. :p And we're not doing this to be a pain in the ass, but rather to give everybody the same chance of forming a team and be aware of the regulation + car changes.

Good news though: for cars that have a weight above 1100 kg, if they get a weight ballast, the ballast + weight above 1100 kg will be the same as ballast + 1100 kg. If that makes any sense.

If the ballast is 100 kg from winning and your car weigh 1130 without added ballast, you will only have to add 70 kg.

Angst said:
Sorry seattle, you can't pick a car until the sign-ups open next week. :p

Good news though: for cars that have a weight above 1100 kg, if they get a weight ballast, the ballast + weight above 1100 kg will be the same as ballast + 1100 kg. If that makes any sense.

If the ballast is 100 kg from winning and your car weigh 1130 without added ballast, you will only have to add 70 kg.

Good... i´ll try to be fast nex week then.

Also, good news about the ballast. Last night i ran some laps with 25-50-100-200 kilos added, and any number above 100 is very punishing.

My car with full ballast was three seconds slower on suzuka.

ashk

Angst said:

I'm assuming that this means that cars lighter than 1100kg will then get more success ballast?

And how do you make sure that all cars have the appropriate amount of ballast?

Angst

ashk said:
I'm assuming that this means that cars lighter than 1100kg will then get more success ballast?

Your first question - hum... We'll get back to you :p
Second question - UFRA has a genial solution. Needs to be tested first though.

UFRA

ashk said:

Edit: oops I mis-read the question. :p

As for how we enforce the ballast, I developed a clever solution to this and after we test it we'll explain it in detail. It's actually pretty simple, but everyone has to be on the same page and follow directions for it to work. :)

Will The Deers ride again?!

It had been all quiet over at 'The Deer Paddock' since the close of season 1 of the 'NeoGAF GT5 Super GT League' with signs pointing to possible unrest within the camp and it's future direction. The rumor mill had been saturated with speculation that the drivers were split on the preference for next seasons choice of car. Some believe there had been intense pressure from manufacture Lexus to keep the team part of the brand due to contractual obligation, currently though speculation surrounds the team regarding the future of their partnership with the manufacture. So far all signs point to a negative outcome as the team has quietly dropped the 'Flaming' moniker from their name, something which was apparently heavily tied to the teams livery from the previous season and owned by Lexus.

Inside sources say that the drivers have recently come to a united opinion when it comes to choice of car for next season and has been looking at offers from both Nissan and Honda. However due to the recent rule changes for season 2 many are speculating that Lexus may come back with an offer of a much enhanced car for next season.

With the season opener rapidly approaching will 'The Deers' be in a position to saddle up and ride again? Only time will tell...

Polyphony

Hey is anybody up for some SuperGT practice or casual racing? I usually get home late after school so I can never make your practice sessions. On weekdays, I'm usually online at 23:00 EST or 3:00 GMT. I'm just curious to see where my driving stacks up with you folks. If you're on around those times, feel free to add me! My PSN is
olivur

Kaze13

anyone willing to put up with me as a teammate? I don't know what I can offer in Super GT but I know I can at least take out a couple of guys with my super awesome car warping skills. ;)

Angst

Polyphony said:
Hey is anybody up for some SuperGT practice or casual racing? I usually get home late after school so I can never make your practice sessions. On weekdays, I'm usually online at 23:00 EST or 3:00 GMT. I'm just curious to see where my driving stacks up with you folks. If you're on around those times, feel free to add me! My PSN is
olivur
The super gt lounge is always there, so just go to the lounge and post here that you want company. Someone almost always turn up.

Angst

Angst said:
As part of next season's schedule we are aiming to use one user created track. To involve you guys we are going to hold a competition were you submit your track to us and we will vote on the best track.

Once we have decided on a user generated track it will be shared on the SuperGT profile where you can download it and then practice on it.

Rules:
1. track length should be maximum 6 km (around 4 miles)
2. theme will be the Eifel (Circuit) theme

Prize:
Eternal internet fame for having created a track for the Super GT circus. :p

Submit your track by sharing it on your profile and then posting here that you have a shared track that you want us to try out.
So far we have had tracks submitted from Toxa, SunhiLegend, brentech and me. Please download them and comment here. It would be nice with some more submissions as well.

Deadline for user submitted tracks: March 31st, 22.00 GMT

Dibbz asked before if he could try the tracks without having people on his FL. We will have an event in the SuperGT Lounge where we will try out the tracks and after that event we will vote on the tracks.

Angst

Angst said:
The duplicate livery clause applies to the following cars:

Calsonic GT-R '00 / Calsonic GT-R '08
Pennzoil GT-R '99 / Pennzoil GT-R '01
Xanavi Nismo GT-R '03 / Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08
Raybrig NSX '00 / Raybrig NSX '06
ARTA NSX '00 / ARTA NSX '06
Takata NSX '03 / Takata NSX '06
Castrol Supra '97 / Castrol Supra '00 / Castrol Supra '01

The clause does NOT apply to the following cars, even though they share team sponsors/name:

Toyota Woodone '03 / Nissan Woodone '08
Nissan Xanavi '06
Toyota Yellow Hat '05 / Nissan Yellow Hat '08

Excluded cars:
Calsonic Skyline '93
Nomad Diablo '00
Car list updated. Triple posts FTW :p

Toxa

about the ballast rules it will affect the whole team or just the driver ?

If I win a race I must add ballast for the next race or I must win another race to add ballast ?

about the track.

Angst :

there's no real first corner:( your track is too easy and to fast but quite fun try to slow down the track and make it a bit more technical.

Brentech:

you track is exceeding the 6km limit xD too long, too bumpy

Angst

To avoid making things too complicated ballast rule will be team based. Toxa wins first race and the driver for your team in the next race will be running with ballast.

Toxa

Angst said:
To avoid making things too complicated ballast rule will be team based. Toxa wins first race and the driver for your team in the next race will be running with ballast.

ok thanks.

and how long should we keep the ballast ? always ?

Angst

Toxa said:
ok thanks.

and how long should we keep the ballast ? always ?
For the next race only. Otherwise we'd soon have all cars running with 200 kg ballast. :D

Think of it like in BTCC, the only difference is that we swap drivers between races.

Toxa

Angst said:
For the next race only. Otherwise we'd soon have all cars running with 200 kg ballast. :D

Think of it like in BTCC, the only difference is that we swap drivers between races.

ok great

here some lines about the success ballast in super gt

Perhaps the best-known handicap system in use in the Super GT is the 'success ballast' system, called "weight handicap" [4] where weight penalties are assigned depending on a cars performance during the race weekend. While this system is also used in other series like the FIA GT and the BTCC, who pioneered the system, the Super GT's version of the system is notable in that weight penalties are meted out more aggressively. While other series mete out penalties based on final position at the end of the race, Super GT also adds ballast based on qualifying position and individual lap times, and even in specific modifications (with the penalty on fastest lap in final lifted in 2007). In the 2007 season (GT500), the Takata NSX team achieved a record-breaking 5 pole positions in the first 7 races, but as such a system exists, they only won one race among them. Such regulation also keeps teams from the championship before the final race, only the ARTA NSX team has managed to clinch a GT500 Championship prior the final race (2007) in the series' history.

Since 2009 season, the "success ballast" has changed to increase excitement and prevent strategical losing, in gaining advantage in final races. The ballast will be halved in the second last race, and lifted in final race for all teams participated in all rounds. Teams missing only 1 round also receive halved-ballast in the final race.

Top Bottom