• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

Toxa

ashk said:
My current position on the Lexus is that I would rather drive a GT-R or a NSX. It's hard to judge power since the difference isn't all that great, but IMO both the GT-R and NSX handle better. I haven't tried upgrading the Lexus so I don't know how much of a improvement it would make overall, but I don't mind giving it a try.

Personally I prefer the GT-R, my only experience of the NSX was for two races yesterday and I think it needs a bit more getting used to than the GT-R.

I just hope you'll drive something other than a lexus :p

yNgq6l.jpg

QfHEzl.jpg

This was a close one :p

Cn1k9l.jpg

2fiVcl.jpg

x3dE0l.jpg

6bgqZl.jpg

WdQK8l.jpg

BdVJcl.jpg

Nh3zbl.jpg

oD8uCl.jpg

QEgQAl.jpg

M5wO4l.jpg

7cATfl.jpg

Hope they're not too big or too many, I can remove some if needed :)

brentech

Nah, my photo recaps of the NRL events are usually in the 30-40 picture range. I run a batch in adobe to size them all to 600px wide for the threads.
Doesn't seem to be an issue.

I usually have them link to their 1080p version, but I'm debating dropping that as I'm not sure if anyone actually clicks for it. The full size doesn't seem to make my site's stat's page, so it could save me some time.

Mush

Official Off-season Session #1 - Saturday, March 19 @ 23.00GMT in the Super GT Lounge.

Who can race?

This test is strictly for Season 2 Regulation/Rule testing and as such, will be restricted to entrants from Season 1 of the League. If you are looking to continue with the League and would like to help better it, this is for you.

Attendee list

Mush
Angst
Niks
seattle6418
UFRA
Juicy Bob
seattle6418

If you haven't already, add GAFsuperGT to your PSN friends list. Once you have been accepted, go to the Community tab in GT5 and scroll down to GAFsuperGT and select the Lounge coffee cup icon.

brentech

Sorry, thought I corrected myself earlier in the week. I thought I could attend tomorrow, but realize that it's rather unlikely now.
If I do end up making it, I'll probably just be watching/talking.

Mush

brentech said:
Sorry, thought I corrected myself earlier in the week. I thought I could attend tomorrow, but realize that it's rather unlikely now.
If I do end up making it, I'll probably just be watching/talking.
That's cool. I suppose people (from Season 1) who don't want to race are welcome to spectate.

Juicy Bob

I can still turn up tomorrow morning (my time). We're scheduelled to start at 7:30am in my timezone but I'm heading down into the city to watch the Clipsal 500 at 9:15am, so that only gives me an hour and a bit at most to participate with you. Just thought I'd let you know in advance.

Angst

The most important thing we will test tonight is standard VS premium cars. We will also do a bit of testing with PP or BHP+Weight limits.

As I'm not in the NRL race tonight I will be in the lounge a bit early, probably around 22 GMT.

Juicy Bob

Where is everyone?

Yeah, just figured out that I don't think I'm going to able to make it. I thought it was going to be around the same time as the actual racing events, but I was wrong. Oh well.

I always miss out on the testing sessions. :(

I won´t miss it. Came back early, and now i just need to have dinner (Subway), and then once the b-spec event i left running is finished, i´ll join you guys.

In 45 minutes from now i hope.

You guys still saying no for the headset?

Mine is waiting if you change your mind. It will really help since we´re just testing, talking about it and mixing things up.

Anyways, dinner done, just waiting on b-spec event. Will join you guys shortly.

Angst

Good testing session today. Got a bit angry at the end, but overall it was very good and I think we've learned a lot.

Dead Man

Sorry I missed the test, I missed the NRL race too, sick as a dog, haven't even been able to watch the V8 Supercars on TV here. Anyway, I hope you guys got some good data and whatnot.

Here´s what i´m going to do tonight:

I´ll run 2 or 3 laps with every JGTC/SuperGT car to mark down the lap times.

I thought about it after talking to Toxa, but i think Suzuka is the best track for this, so i´ll run there.

Settings: grip real, tire and fuel on.

Every car on racing softs with oil changed, and full downforce. Tranmission set at 300.

I won´t buy rigidity, restore engines or bodies, and since it´s only 2 or 3 laps, optimal times will be lower than what i can get, but:

With this we can have a clear picture of which car is faster, and by how much.

I´ll post lap time, PP as it was marked, and a few comments.

After this part i feel we can start adding things to balance out things. As i noted with the Takata, PP doesn´t tell the whole story, so you do have to race each car.

I just spent 45 minutes buying tires and changing oli, so i´m goo to go.

Also, only car i ran consistently was my Motul, so all cars exept this one are without the extra HP from the break in. (case of the new models).

UFRA

Thank you so much for doing that seattle. That's a ton of work, and it will be so helpful to us. You're a perfect choice for doing that though since you're a very good and consistent driver. :)

I did that but only comparing two NSX, one Lexus and one GT-R (too general, I know). Completely stock (no oil change), max downforce and racing HARD tyres, on Grand Valley. From the results, I thought I would use the lexus not only because it was a lot more forgiving and my laptimes were more "stable", but because I did the fastest lap with it due to being able to apply throttle much sooner.

That completely changes with the racing softs, as the difference in handling is minimized and the difference in power is more apparent.

I still have to run 11 cars before i finish (will do that after the Nascar race i believe), but i did find some interesting results. Lap times are ranging from 53s to 56s, with the execption of the ´93 Calsonic, who turned a 2´01 and it´s a total turd.

brentech

Excited to see your results seattle. Greatly appreciate you taking the time.
I largely know which cars I feel most stable in now, so I'm just hoping they run in the middle or up.

Risk Breaker said:
That completely changes with the racing softs, as the difference in handling is minimized and the difference in power is more apparent.

This is interesting. I think going with racing hards for next season would be a good idea.

Dead Man

seattle6418 said:
I still have to run 11 cars before i finish (will do that after the Nascar race i believe), but i did find some interesting results. Lap times are ranging from 53s to 56s, with the execption of the ´93 Calsonic, who turned a 2´01 and it´s a total turd.
Thanks for taking the time to do this, it will be a huge help to Mush and co I'm sure. And yeah, I love the '93 Calsonic, but it is a dog.

Permadeath said:
This is interesting. I think going with racing hards for next season would be a good idea.

I personally like hards more than softs for serious competitions... and because online nobody wants to play with those, most people can only use softs. That said, there's a big possibility that using racing hards leads to more accidents, so I can see why they're not being used with damage set to heavy.

Great avatar by the way ;)

NeoGAF SuperGT testing – Season 2

Track – Suzuka

Conditions used: Grip real, fuel and tire wear on, which means, race and qualify conditions.

For the cars, I equipped them with racing softs and changed the oil of each car.
Cars were not broken in, so a little less HP than the usual, most of them was the first time I was driving it.

JGTC models acquired on the used lot did not had rebuilt engines or chassis, don´t how much of an effect this has performance wise.

How was the testing conducted: I wanted to get a feel for how each car performs in Suzuka. I bought all the tires and oil, and head to the SuperGT lounge, set up the rules and went on free run with each car. I drove 4-5 laps with each model, give or take 10 minutes per model. Some of them took a bit more time until I get a clean time. Gearing was set at 300 kph, full downforce. No other setting was touched.

Keep in mind that the times can be improved with the break in, more practice and with a lower fuel load. I have a feeling the fuel load adds up 80 kilos on the cars, so the difference in performance is noticeable when you are low on fuel (or practice mode for the matter, when the added weight from the fuel is not computed).

So before the possible complains of “you sandbagged my car because you ran a 54´7 and I can do a 54 flat”, keep in mind that spending 10 minutes or so with each car, and going from one model to the other, is possible to have some flaws in some models. Let me know so we can re-do the runs and get a more reasonable result.

This week i´ll try to run racing hards on some cars, will test ballast (25, 50, 100 and 200 kilos), and will try to test some solutions for the slower cars, like the stage two turbos and the likes. Keep the suggestions coming!

All right, results by brand:

Toyota

Castrol Supra ´97 – 1´53´911. 612pp. 502hp. Awesome car with huge downforce, good power and all around balanced. Toxa will be a force on this one.

Denso Sard ´00 – 1´55´110. 603pp. 487hp. Loved this one on GT2 and GT4, but compared to other models is pretty meh. Just average. On everything.

Castrol ´00 – 1´54´966. 603pp. 487hp. Same car as the Denso. Not much going on, and it shows that JGTC cars were restrained in 2000. All models of this year show some drop in performance.

Castrol ´01 – 604pp. 489hp. 1´54´850. Slightly better handling than the ´00 model. Not much difference. Tire wear, like all Supras is good.

Au Cerumo ´01 – 1´55´230. 604pp. 489hp. Same car as the Castrol ´01. Difference in lap times is because I ran less with this one once I realized it was the same car on a different paint job.

Woodone ´03 – 1´53´078. 612pp. 520hp. This car was awesome in GTC, awesome in GT4, and is awesome once again in GT5. Lots of power and handling. ´03 models are a beast. UFRA, you picked this car right? Smart choice!

Yellow Hat ´05 – 1´54´507. 605pp 524hp. Weak car. This laptime was with a engine tuning stage 3 that I couldn´t remove. I guess it´s a boost this car needs to be competitive.

Lexus

Bandai Direzza ´06 – 1´55´028. 596pp. 485hp. Needa a boost. Got a better laptime because it was the last lexus I ran, so I was familiar with the style to drive. Great tire wear, super easy to drive, but slow.

Eneos ´08 – 1´56´264. 593pp. 488hp. That´s not a typo, this car is shit. It was the first one I drove, so the actual time should be 0´5 faster, but still, it´s the worst Lexus in the game. Can´t believe this car won a race in our league. Mad respect for the drivers of this car.

Tom´s SC ´08 – 1´55´272. 600pp. 488hp. Laptime wasn´t clean, but the car is slightly better than the ´06 model. Same qualities also.

Denso ´08 – 1´54´743. Same model as the Tom´s Petronas, but this one I got the lap right. Needs a bit of boost, because to be fast you need to drive like a maniac over curbs and on the exit of turns.

Lamborghini

Nomad Diablo – 1´53´063. 629pp. 621hp. Specs seem a bit off, but this car actually ran the JGTC season. A beast due to the power. Handling suspect, but not bad. Can easily get to the 52 range.

Honda

Raybrig ´00 – 1´55´403. 593pp. 506hp. Best sound car of the group. Best tire wear also. You can get the fastest lap on your fifth run! Still, it needs some power, and likes to go sideways.

Arta ´00 – 1´55´904. 593pp. 506hp. Same car as the other ´00 models. Laptime was worse because I ran less.

Castrol Mugen ´00 – 1´55´772. 593pp. 506hp. Again, same car as the other ´00 models.

Mobil ´01 – 1´54´525. 595pp. 509hp. Nice surprise, this one handles great and is super smooth through turns. It also has the great NSX tire wear like the other models.

Loctite ´01 – 1´54´242. 595pp. 509hp. Same model as the Mobil, great car. Any NSX with over 500hp is a beast and this one is no different. The ´01 NSX models absolutely murder the other ´01 JGTC cars. Shame for Nissan and Toyota.

Takata ´03 – 1´53´426. 593pp. 499hp. This is one for the “PP is a screwed up system” argument. It´s a beast and I love it. It seems to handle more on the edge, but it´s because it´s going way faster than the other NSX models. Once again, long live the ´03 season.

Takata ´06 – 1´54´586. 596pp. 489hp. My first WTF moment. During the season I was under the impression these models were crap, but they are not. They are tough to tame, not for beginners, but it´s a great car. Can go toe to toe with the GTR´s and have the excellent tire wear to boot.

Arta ´06 – 1´54´573. 596pp. 489hp. Same model as the other two ´06 variants. Tough to go fast on it, so that explains the complains on the league.

Raybrig ´06 – 1´54´390. 596pp. 489hp. Same model. Loved your car Mush. Twitchy, but fast. Dealwithit.gif

Epson ´08 – 1´54´736. 591pp. 485hp. Easier to control than the ´06 models, but slower. Needs a small boost, I think turbo stage three is too much. It´s not a bad car at all, it certainly beats the Lexuses.

Nissan

Calsonic ´93 – 2´01´222. 583pp. 552hp. The original Godzilla. For a car the retired undefeated, I expected more. It can go under two minutes, but it´s no match for the other models. As you can see JGTC evolved a lot from ´93 to ´97.

Pennzoil ´99 – 1´55´497. 606pp. 523hp. A classic best remembered by it´s GT2 days. Thought it was a beast, but it´s mediocre all around. Needs a boost if anyone is going to use it.

Calsonic ´00 – 1´55´179. 606pp. 493hp. Thos old Skylines… I have found memories, but they just won´t go. Totally average and with the trademarked Skyline bad tire wear syndrome.

Loctite ´00 – 1´55´162. 606pp. 493hp. Unlike the name says, it doesn´t stick to the floor and has grip issues, which causes the tire wear. Same model as the other ´00.

Pennzoil ´01 – 1´55´792. 604pp. 497hp. Bad grip, eats tires, bad all around. A huge disappointment.

Xanavi Hiroto ´01 – The one cars I don´t have it… yet. I suspect it´s the same model as the other ´01 car.

Xanavi Nismo ´03 – 1´53´754. 617pp. 509hp. Same car I drove to a championship back in GT4 GTplanet JGTC series, and it´s still great. Was a stiff car in GT4, now it´s a bit loose. Didnd´t nailed the lap, but it´s on par with the Woodone Supra and the Takata NSX, just a bit slower. It does have some issues with tire wear.

Pitwork Z ´04 – 1´53´705. 614pp. 502hp. Just as good as the ´03 models, I just didn´t get the lap right. Easy to drive, good all around.

Xanavi Z ´06 – 1´52´869. 620pp. 518hp. This car is a beast. Has no downsides, has juice, has handling, everything. Awesome machine.

Woodone ´08 – 1´55´113. 598pp. 504hp. Simply put, this is the hardest model to control. I don´t know what´s up, but it´s a weird car, slides all around and it always looks like you are driving on ice. Players using this car should get a boost to compensate for the issues this one has.

Motul Autech´08 – 1´54´440. 603pp. 502hp. I limited the power of mine to simulate the correct specs without the broken in extra HP. I loved the car, it´s easy to drive, and only has a issue with tire wear. However, it is different than the other good ´08 models. For some reason, it has a ballast of 30 kilos added (it weights 1130kg), that accounts for 0´3 of a second or so. Time should be a flat 54, but mine needs a chassis restore and a engine rebuild badly. Broken in this car goes to 518hp and 607pp. (and it goes into the 53 range, but since we didn´t test the cars with the broken in HP, let´s leave out of the equation).

Xanavi ´08 – 1´54´169. 605pp. 503hp. Great car, totally different than the Woodone, and slightly better than the Autech, since it weights less. Great choice.

Calsonic ´08 – 1´54´121. 605pp. 503hp. Same as the Xanavi and the Yellow Hat… time could be faster, but I ran less laps with this one.

Yellow Hat ´08 – 1´53´692. 605pp. 503hp. Same as the two above, but with this one i did ran three extra laps and nailed one. The GTR´s are really good, no question about it.

Well, I think this is it for now… I would like to see the comments from you guys, specially about how I described your car in specific.

Niks

seattle6418 said:
Woodone ´08 – 1´55´113. 598pp. 504hp. Simply put, this is the hardest model to control. I don´t know what´s up, but it´s a weird car, slides all around and it always looks like you are driving on ice. Players using this car should get a boost to compensate for the issues this one has.

Thank you for all the hard work. Much appreciated.

In regards to the Woodone '08 GT-R, you got it right. Im actually surprised both UFRA and I did as good as we did in that car.. Seriously, even with massive changes to its setup the car was complicated to drive.

Niks said:
Thank you for all the hard work. Much appreciated.

In regards to the Woodone '08 GT-R, you got it right. Im actually surprised both UFRA and I did as good as we did in that car.. Seriously, even with massive changes to its setup the car was complicated to drive.

It seems like it doesn´t have some sort of stability feature present on other ´08 models. It´s something the system PD uses recognizes, because the pp is only 598, compared to 605 for the regular models.

I doubt people will want to take on this car next season.

It has a horn, and that´s it.

Angst

Wow, thanks for all that work! Must have taken you a long time!

seattle6418 said:
Xanavi Z ´06 – 1´52´869. 620pp. 518hp. This car is a beast. Has no downsides, has juice, has handling, everything. Awesome machine.
Yep, it's fast. The downside IMO is that if I drive it all out it eats through the tyres really fast.

brentech

Lol, fuck that woodone. That's what I said with my test of a handful, glad everyone that's drove it feels it too. Also feel somewhat better knowing the feeling for my own car from season one is validated.
It's not the worst car of the lot, but it sure as hell ain't great either.
It doesn't handle horribly, but considering the lack of power, it's just a lose lose vehicle. Usually it's more give/take on power and control.

Angst

seattle6418 said:
Toyota

Castrol Supra ´97 – 1´53´911. 612pp. 502hp. Awesome car with huge downforce, good power and all around balanced. Toxa will be a force on this one.

Woodone ´03 – 1´53´078. 612pp. 520hp. This car was awesome in GTC, awesome in GT4, and is awesome once again in GT5. Lots of power and handling. ´03 models are a beast. UFRA, you picked this car right? Smart choice!
I think it's best to point out now that we still haven't decided on which cars will be allowed and how we are going to decide what car goes to whom... We're working on it, but just because someone has used a car in practice sessions doesn't necessarily mean they will get first pick for that car for next season. Just saying...

ashk

seattle6418 said:
NeoGAF SuperGT testing – Season 2

/cut

Wow. Great job on the testing and excellent comments. I had no idea my Lexus was the worst of the bunch :( It just makes me want a switch to another car for next season all the more.

I've only driven 5 cars from the list, your comments are pretty much in line with what I was thinking about them: the Xanavi '03 and the Woodone '03 are very fast, the Xanavi '08 is great to drive, the Raybrig '06 can be twitchy but it's fun, and the Eneos is a Lexus.

Angst said:
I think it's best to point out now that we still haven't decided on which cars will be allowed and how we are going to decide what car goes to whom... We're working on it, but just because someone has used a car in practice sessions doesn't necessarily mean they will get first pick for that car for next season. Just saying...

Uhhh, cars will be given like a draft, or a lottery? Sounds... interesting.

Can´t wait to hear what you guys have in mind.

Angst

seattle6418 said:
Uhhh, cars will be given like a draft, or a lottery? Sounds... interesting.

Can´t wait to hear what you guys have in mind.
We haven't decided on anything yet, I just wanted to point out that driving a car in a practice session doesn't give somebody dibs for it. Not saying the opposite either though ;) We have some serious thinking to do and the test you did will definitely help. :)

Having said that, we will of course try our best to make everybody happy.

UFRA

seattle6418 said:

YES. Niks and I suffered through the whole season with this car.

It's fantastic to look at, but it drives horribly! I felt like such a loser sometimes randomly spinning out for no reason or being slower through the corners than the Lexus cars in my big powerful GTR.

Thank you so much for the thorough testing!!

Dibbz

Great job Seattle. I never drove another Super GT car apart for the one I had and I guess might have taken the Xanavi Z for granted throughout the season.

Will be good to use a different car for next season for me.

Angst

Survey:

If you could change car for next season, what car would you pick?

For now, consider the cars the other teams used last season as out of bounds. If the team using the car hasn't specifically said they don't want the same car for next season that is.

Toxa

Angst said:
Survey:

For now, consider the cars the other teams used last season as out of bounds. If the team using the car hasn't specifically said they don't want the same car for next season that is.

Castrol Supra 97 :) (with Round)

@Mush I'm in ;)

any banned car list ?

ashk

Angst said:
Survey:

Would Yellowhat GT-R '08 be an appropriate answer? It was only raced for 2 or 3 races last season, so I assume that the team quit and won't be returning. If not, then I'd say Xanavi GT-R '03 since that's the only one I have that doesn't seem to be complete shit :p

I'll try to be in that practice... I'd be using the Castrol Tom's Supra '97 as my "official" car since the beginning if I didn't know that I can eventually win one in B-Spec :/

Angst

ashk said:
Would Yellowhat GT-R '08 be an appropriate answer? It was only raced for 2 or 3 races last season, so I assume that the team quit and won't be returning. If not, then I'd say Xanavi GT-R '03 since that's the only one I have that doesn't seem to be complete shit :p
It pretty much looks like it will be available yeah. Doing two races and then not even reporting back pretty much means they're not interested.
Edit - pretty much :)

Top Bottom