• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League, presented by Mush & the NeoGAF Racing League.

brentech

For some reason I thought I read around 6km, not max. Will have to change up my track, and take other comments into consideration...though, only so much we can do. Yay random generator =\

ashk

Angst said:
To avoid making things too complicated ballast rule will be team based. Toxa wins first race and the driver for your team in the next race will be running with ballast.

So lets say that there is a team with one great driver (driver No.1) and one medium driver (driver No.2).

Race 1: No.1 wins
Race 2: No.2 gets maximum ballast, does terrible
Race 3: No.1 has no ballast, wins
Race 4: No.2 gets maximum ballast, does terrible
Race 5: No.1 has no ballast, wins
etc.

A team with 2 great drivers would be just as bad since one of them would always be disadvantaged:

Race 1: No.1 wins
Race 2: No.2 gets maximum ballast, does ok but not great
Race 3: No.1 has no ballast, wins
Race 4: No.2 gets maximum ballast, does ok but not great
Race 5: No.1 has no ballast, wins
etc.

If you implement a system like this you are esentially forcing people to do 2 races in a row to keep things more fair instead of alternating every other race.

ashk

brentech said:
For some reason I thought I read around 6km, not max. Will have to change up my track, and take other comments into consideration...though, only so much we can do. Yay random generator =\

This. I gave the course maker a good try and making good fast corners wasn't so bad. But when I want a nice slow corner or two I usually have to turn the thingy to 10 and then it ends up looking like someone threw a shoelace on the ground and used that shape to design the track. There might be agood corner or two there but it's surrounded by ten terrible ones :/

brentech

My biggest worry for ballast is races actually starting on time. Already have enough issues with people swerving and causing wrecks during parade laps (sorry, I don't care about your tires).

As I see it, there is only one way to ensure ballast is being used, and it requires everyone to be off the track and paying attention. Which is quite generally an issue as is,

Something like this: League Organizers (LO) raise weight restriction to needed ballast level. Makes team with ballast enter track. LO changes weight restriction back to normal (might kick the ballast team off, but I don't think it does -- if it does, just make sure they don't go into settings - make them enter), everyone else enters track and re-verifies we're all synced.
Qualifying can start from there. No one is allowed to exit track and all goes on as normal.

People just need to listen, really.

I think the ballast penalty is a very important matter and as such should be carefully thought out.

Maybe there should be a CAR success ballast and a DRIVER success ballast. Example:

Race 1:

Car A, Driver Z - First position
Car B, Driver X - Second place
Car C, Driver Y - Third

Car A gets 20 kg for first place, Driver Z gets a personal 15 kg of ballast.
Car B gets 15 kg for second place, Driver X gets 10 kg of ballast.
Car C gets 10 kg for third, Driver Y gets 5 kg.

Race 2:

Car A, second driver - 20 kg of ballast as the car is proved to be fast enough but he hasn't earned any ballast.
Car B, same driver - 15+10kg of ballast
Car C, second driver - 10kg ballast

All figures are purely indicative of course, but I hope you get the idea. The second driver shouldn't get no ballast, because it could be strategically used in an unfair way. For example, team 1, driver 1 could get third place in two races and have big ballast while the other teams change drivers and get 1st and 2nd. In the third race, the first team swaps drivers and have absolutely no ballast while their direct competitors do have added weight. It sounds kinda confusing, too.

What do you think?

PS: I'm still working on my track but I'll share a WIP, will try others' tracks.

Angst

Angst said:
BJZIh.png

OK, here it comes, we have finally decided what cars will be available for Season 2 of the Neogaf Super GT league!

Standard cars will be allowed.

All Premium Super GT and almost all Standard JGTC cars will be available for people to reserve for their team.

As posted above you MUST have a team mate who is willing to drive with you before you pick a car.

Furthermore, we will only allow ONE team use one of the duplicate liveries. For example once a team has reserved the Takata NSX '03 car, the duplicate, in this case the Takata NSX '06 will be removed.

The duplicate livery clause applies to the following cars: (list subject to change :p)

Calsonic GT-R '00 / Calsonic GT-R '08
Pennzoil GT-R '99 / Pennzoil GT-R '01
Xanavi Nismo GT-R '03 / Xanavi Nismo GT-R '08
Raybrig NSX '00 / Raybrig NSX '06
ARTA NSX '00 / ARTA NSX '06
Takata NSX '03 / Takata NSX '06
Castrol Supra '97 / Castrol Supra '00 / Castrol Supra '01

The clause does NOT apply to the following cars, even though they share team sponsors/name:

Toyota Woodone '03 / Nissan Woodone '08
Nissan Xanavi '06
Toyota Yellow Hat '05 / Nissan Yellow Hat '08

Excluded cars:
Calsonic Skyline '93
Nomad Diablo '00

Cars will still be stock, with no tuning parts, other than soft tyres and rigidity improvement. This does not apply to the Lexus cars, which will be allowed a stage 2 turbo.

This will make the list of available cars a lot bigger than it was in season 1 and by removing the duplicate liveries as people pick cars we will still have a realistic line-up of unique cars. We have been thinking about this a lot and we hope this solution will make everyone happy.

For an overview of all the cars available (minus the Diablo), please look at Seattle's awesome list

We have also made the decision that we will use a BHP / Weight restriction. Currently the restriction is 502 BHP / 1100 kg. This restriction might be tweaked if tests turn out badly, but the races we had on Nürburgring GP/F was at these settings and it worked very well.

Rigidity improvement is of course optional.

REGISTRATION WILL START NEXT WEEK AND THE EXACT TIME AND DATE WILL BE ANNOUNCED IN ADVANCE This way everyone will have a fair chance of forming a team and deciding on the car they want.

The Seattle Clause: No driver may race more than 2 race weekends in a row.

Maximum number of teams will be 14, we will have a list of substitute drivers where the drivers that can't commit to enough races or drivers who can't find a team can sign up.

We will enforce a weight penalty for winning cars. More details to come as soon as UFRA's brilliant solution get a patent
after we've tested it a bit

Update: besides deciding what car you would prefer, also decide on a backup choice. You will need to fill this out when registering!
For the new page.

And thanks for the input ashk, brentech and risk breaker. We haven't sorted out the details regarding weight penalties yet and we will take your thoughts into consideration.

Brentech is right in how it will be implemented on the track. And the racers with ballast won't be kicked off the track as their weight is above the minimum weight even if we lower it. They will only be kicked off if they don't meet the minimum requirements when we change the limits.

And we will make serious effort to start races on time next season. For example will be using the automatic start time. If you join late or don't set a qualification lap time during the qualification period that's on you and we won't change the start time. dealwithit.gif basically.

Mush, me or UFRA will always be around on race days and people will have to listen to us when we tell them what to do. Some things are out of our control though - connectivity issues and kaz playing jokes on us... :p

Polyphony

Kaze13 said:
anyone willing to put up with me as a teammate? I don't know what I can offer in Super GT but I know I can at least take out a couple of guys with my super awesome car warping skills. ;)

I wouldn't mind, we could form the Junior team. Which SuperGT cars do you prefer driving?

Niks

Angst maybe you could do a list of members already confirmed in a team + members looking for a team so its easier to know who is available.

Angst

Confirmed teams:
1. Angst + gutterboy44
2. UFRA + Niks
3. Toxa + RounD
4. Ashk + MikeDub
5. Seattle6419 + chimilosky
6. brentech + risk breaker
7. kaze13 + polyphony
8. Dead Man + TheSeks

Drivers looking for team mates or unconfirmed team status: (Click their name for their neogaf profile)
Dibbz
Mush
SunhiLegend
Metalmurphy (currently banned, soon to return)
[In//Effect-Mode]
Konosuke
Weekend_warrior
JuicyBob
El Beefo
h3ro
Stilmatic
I'll add more people to the list as they post here

Angst

MikeDub said:
Reading through the rules again, how can we have 14 teams?
Eh? You mean there's not enough people on my list above? Hopefully more people will join, otherwise we'll make do with less than 14 teams. And I didn't put everybody from season 1 on the list, just the people that have expressed that they will return.

Angst said:
Eh? You mean there's not enough people on my list above? Hopefully more people will join, otherwise we'll make do with less than 14 teams. And I didn't put everybody from season 1 on the list, just the people that have expressed that they will return.

forgive me, I had a stupid moment thinking every team would run both drivers each race which would mean only needing 8 teams, my bad.

Angst

Update: besides deciding what car you would prefer, also decide on a backup choice. You will need to fill this out when registering

Hey guys, just to let you know that I won't be registering with a team for season 2. With new games coming out, and Spring is nearly here, I just won't have the time to commit to two leagues. And I don't want to be one of those people who doesn't practice, drops into a race on Saturday and ruins the fun for everyone else ;).

Hope you don't mind if I keep on popping in on practice sessions every now and then though, I had a lot of fun at those.

Angst

weekend_warrior said:
Hey guys, just to let you know that I won't be registering with a team for season 2. With new games coming out, and Spring is nearly here, I just won't have the time to commit to two leagues. And I don't want to be one of those people who doesn't practice, drops into a race on Saturday and ruins the fun for everyone else ;).

Hope you don't mind if I keep on popping in on practice sessions every now and then though, I had a lot of fun at those.
I was afraid you were going to say that. Thanks for letting us know. And you can always change your mind :) Maybe register as a substitute driver?

UFRA

weekend_warrior said:

I will miss you WW. :(

Mush

weekend_warrior said:

GtJkn.jpg

Toxa

weekend_warrior said:

Damn :( you was one of my favorite driver

Kaze13

Polyphony said:
I wouldn't mind, we could form the Junior team. Which SuperGT cars do you prefer driving?

Cool. I have only driven two SuperGT cars: The Raybrig NSX (it's okay) and the Calsonic GTR (love it).

Now for a Team name....

Mush

Some titbits:

-The sign-up ah... thing, will coincide with the launch of the Season 2 thread. Sometime on Monday. Further details will be announced later, so people don't miss out.

-After further discussion, we will keep the Weight Ballast system, but make it so only the driver who actually "earns" the weight will be the one who has to race with it in their next race. Thanks to ashk and everyone else who brought it up.

-We are considering further increasing the number of rounds in Season 2 from 8 to 10 total. If you want/don't want this, let us know.

A friendly reminder, OFFICIAL OFF-SEASON TESTING SESSION #2 IS TOMORROW @ 23.00GMT. This will be our last chance before we launch Season 2 to test and refine stuff, so if you were part of Season 1, we'd love to see you there.

Polyphony

Kaze13 said:
Cool. I have only driven two SuperGT cars: The Raybrig NSX (it's okay) and the Calsonic GTR (love it).

Now for a Team name....

Haha, the GT-R's are my favorites as well. Let's go for one of them if they're still available.

I'm going in the lounge now to run a few laps if anybody's interested!

Mush

Oh yeah, as some of you probably already know (or don't), the real Super GT which was due to start next weekend has been delayed to the 1st of May.

Understandable, but still disappointing. :(

Toxa

Mush said:
A friendly reminder, OFFICIAL OFF-SEASON TESTING SESSION #2 IS TOMORROW @ 23.00GMT. This will be our last chance before we launch Season 2 to test and refine stuff, so if you were part of Season 1, we'd love to see you there.

a bit late for me :( F1 GP sunday 7gmt xD

Polyphony

Anybody down for some practice 2 hours before the official session? Can't stay until 23:00 GMT, got an important hockey game where I'm at :).

Edit: Nvm, forgot it was the NRL Race today lol.

Mush

Remember, our contest to win a spot by creating a track is still running. You have until the 31st of March to submit your entry! The rules are simple: no more than 6km in total length and it must use the Eifel (circuit) theme.

Here are some of the entry's submitted so far.

Angst - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOpqPIOT3o
brentech - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFF3i2DZoCQ
Niks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqB4E6c43ak
SunhiLegend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdoa9G_Edug
Toxa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pp7p3pC7EA

If you've submitted a design and I've missed you out, let me know and I'll make a nice little video of it and post it here. :)

Dead Man

Mush said:
Remember, our contest to win a spot by creating a track is still running. You have until the 31st of March to submit your entry! The rules are simple: no more than 6km in total length and it must use the Eifel (circuit) theme.

Here are some of the entry's submitted so far.

Angst - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHOpqPIOT3o
brentech - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFF3i2DZoCQ
Niks - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqB4E6c43ak
SunhiLegend - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdoa9G_Edug
Toxa - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pp7p3pC7EA

If you've submitted a design and I've missed you out, let me know and I'll make a nice little video of it and post it here. :)
Good stuff there. I fixed my track to be less than 6km now, re shared it. Only being able to share 1 track at a time is a bit disappointing, I've got another I really like too. Oh well.

Edit: Just drove brentechs track (I think he is the only one on my friends list), nice track. Simple corners to start with, nice and wide for the first corner shenanigans, then some tricky off camber stuff on the back half of the track. Fun track.

Mush

Toxa said:
registration for season 2 is still scheduled for today ?
Sometime in the next 12 hours if all goes well. I'll let you guys you know when the thread goes up before hand (I'll post in here first).

Angst

So hyped for the next season! Toxa, we have team sign-ups working, so either you OR RounD will have to register for the whole team.

Angst

Mush said:
I know this is a tad late, but is anyone free today around 21-23.00GMT to quickly test some stuff?
I'll be there!

Edit - well, I can't stay around that long. I'll be in the lounge from 20.00 GMT instead and people can join when they are around.

I'm uploading my track, Eifel Castle, now. It isn't the best track in the world but it's fast, curvy, bumpy, doesn't have those annoying "blind fast corner right on top of a hill" and has this cute little castle with a hot princess watching us race* that gives a little bit of personality to the plain environment. Tell me what you think, if you try it.

*Not included in the free version.

Posted in the wrong thread :)

ashk

seattle6418 said:
Toooo early!

Again, we some some american time zone sessions. I´m still at work, and i´ll probably only be playing tonight in about six hours.

But that is too late for Europe then :p

lol timezones

Angst

seattle6418 said:
Toooo early!

Again, we some some american time zone sessions. I´m still at work, and i´ll probably only be playing tonight in about six hours.
Lol. In six hours I'll have two hours until I have to wake up. But just post here that you want to practice and us + aus people will join.

If everybody does their practice in the SuperGT lounge instead of in their own lounge there will be sessions all the time. :)

Niks

Who is going to judge which track is to be selected?
Maybe we should do a testing session this Saturday to try each of them in the lounge?

Top Bottom