• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Season 2 - Vorsicht statt nachsicht

Angst

For the new page

Super GT Saturday 4th June
iUbs7.jpg

Track: Monza - Weather - Chicane ver
Weather: Dynamic - set to sunny at track reset
Cars: Super GT cars that have been approved for Season 2 so that includes standards, for the full list, see OP
Laps: 45 (final)

Teams: There are no teams, everyone for themselves.

Start times is normal time:

21:00 BST
22:00 Europe

t1307217600z0.png

Grid:
Dibbz - Arta NSX
Toxa - Supra '97
Niks - Woodone Supra
Angst - Xanavi Fairlady '06
Salacious Crumb - Woodone GT-R '06
SunhiLegend - Raybrig NSX '06
Ashk - Xanavi NISMO GT-R '08
NEOPARADIGM - Xanavi NISMO GT-R '08 (Time Paradox!)
Gutterboy44 - NSX Takata

Tentative:
Metalmurphy
brentech
konosuke

Currently 9 / 16 drivers

Race procedure:
Lounge opens - 21.30 CET
Lounge reset - 22.10 CET
Qualifications start - 22.10 CET
Race start 22.30 CET

We will do one parade lap at 80 MPH with no passing allowed during parade lap. Race starts when you pass the start line after 1 lap. Start accelerating when you hear the beep. No warm-up of tyres on the parade lap (doesn't work anyway and leads to widening gaps and incidents).

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Second Chicane on Monza proper racing line (credits to Mush for pic):
8FQKO.jpg

Basically, follow the black tyre marks and you're doing it right. Run across the grass and we will be pissed. If you do it consistently we will be really pissed. :p

Youtube video of last season's 18 lap race at Monza (credits and thanks to Vissione):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Y9L3UOkHo (race starts at 39:00)

Juicy Bob

Hey guys.

I'd like to take part in some races for sure. But if I'm completely honest, 45 laps is a little bit too much for me at 6:30 in the morning. :) I think I'll give this one a miss, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for future races.

UFRA

I hope I can make some of the mini-league races, but I will for sure be working during thise first one. :(

Angst

NEOPARADIGM said:
Okay, I'm gonna run that Toyota YellowHat YMS Supra '05.

btw: Racing Hards I assume? Nothing about tires in the OP.
No regulation on tyres. Most people use softs, but maybe hards can give you more laps on monza? On other tracks softs is the way to go, but Monza has long straights and few corners, so perhaps hards is better? I know I'll do some tests tonight before committing to a strategy.

UFRA said:
I hope I can make some of the mini-league races, but I will for sure be working during thise first one. :(
My plan is to do one of these events each Saturday for the coming 4 weeks, hopefully you can join us for one of those races. I miss racing with you man :(
Juicy Bob said:
Hey guys.

I'd like to take part in some races for sure. But if I'm completely honest, 45 laps is a little bit too much for me at 6:30 in the morning. :) I think I'll give this one a miss, but I'll definitely keep an eye out for future races.
We'll see how this one goes, if everyone ends up dehydrated and emotionally exhausted after the race we'll do a shorter race next weekend.

Angst

I'll be in the lounge shortly, need to do some tyre tests to work out a strategy. Anybody else wanting some practice is welcome to join. I won't be doing any races for the next hour or so though.

ashk

Angst said:
I'll be in the lounge shortly, need to do some tyre tests to work out a strategy. Anybody else wanting some practice is welcome to join. I won't be doing any races for the next hour or so though.

I don't have much free time, so I'd prefer to spend it racing. I'll join in an hour or so for some races ;)

Angst

NEOPARADIGM said:
Okay, I'm gonna run that Toyota YellowHat YMS Supra '05.

btw: Racing Hards I assume? Nothing about tires in the OP.
Tests have shown the Supra to be pretty damn slow... I'd go with one of the GT-R or NSX instead.

Angst said:
Tests have shown the Supra to be pretty damn slow... I'd go with one of the GT-R or NSX instead.

After spending all fucking day with the Yellow Hat, I'm gonna have to concur. Back to the Xanavi for me then. :)

Angst

NEOPARADIGM said:
After spending all fucking day with the Yellow Hat, I'm gonna have to concur. Back to the Xanavi for me then. :)
Good call.

For the record - which Xanavi do you intend to use? The Fairlady or the GT-R?

Fuuuu, I have to withdraw my entry. Girlfriend's parents and sister are going to be arriving in town right at 4pm so me sitting a wheel for an hour and a half isn't going to work :( Damn it!! I haven't raced Monza in a league yet.

Takata up for grabs. She is a beauty.

Mush

Just want to leave a friendly gl-hf for everyone competing tomorrow (my time). I would love to be there but alas, I can't be. :( Also, a nice warm welcome to all newcomers/returners. :p

Big ups to Angst/Dibbz for keeping the jeep ridin'

Angst said:
NEOPARADIGM - Xanavi NISMO GT-R '08 (Time Paradox!)

Yeah, about that ... lol

My NISMO is modded (cannot undo engine stage 3). Just picked up Arta NSX, though. Sorry about the flip-flopping all over the place, ha. Set it in stone this time.

Dibbz

Hope everyone is ready for tonight and just for a reminder about when it starts.

t1307217600z0.png

Remember to show up before the start time so we can get qualification and any problems sorted out early.

The earlier you join the better it is for everyone.

Also shame you can't race with us Mush, maybe next week?

Polyphony

Ooooh, I will make it for the beginning of the race, and will probably abandon midway through since i have to be out for dinner.

Nissan GT-R Yellowhat for me.

Probably not gonna be able to make it. Had to delete GT5 gamedata and now the update is taking AGES. I don't think it'll be done by then.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Probably not gonna be able to make it. Had to delete GT5 gamedata and now the update is taking AGES. I don't think it'll be done by then.
That sucks. Hope you make it mm. As long as you join before 2230 you're OK. I don't think qualification is all that important in such a long race.

Also, good to see you're joining us polyphony
:)

Angst

Lounge is up if anyone wants to start practice early. I won't start practice myself until 21.30 though. Brentech is practicing.

Grid:
Dibbz - Arta NSX
Toxa - Supra '97
Niks - Woodone Supra
Angst - Xanavi Fairlady '06
Salacious Crumb - Woodone GT-R '06
SunhiLegend - Raybrig NSX '06
Ashk - Xanavi NISMO GT-R '08
NEOPARADIGM - Arta NSX
Polyphony - YellowHat GT-R
Brentech - Calsonic Impul GT-R
Metalmurphy -

Currently 11 racers

It was a nice workout for sure! lol

I'm still not sure in what place I finished cause the grid was messed up.

Someone post some pics :p

Angst

NEOPARADIGM said:
lol @ GT5 censor.

Was TRYING to say, apart from my sucking, that was all kinds of awesome.

Cheers, guys.
Good to hear you had a good time. Saw you had some spin outs along the race and got pretty far behind.

I had a great time, so many good duels. First ashk for 10 laps were we traded places all the time and then MM at the end. My pit crew messed up one my one planned pit stop and didn't refuel my car, so I ran out of fuel on lap 39. Dropped from second to 8th. :(

But I had the advantage of fresh tyres so you shouldn't feel bad MM for me overtaking you at the last lap.

I'll post the results shortly. Who goes through the race and takes pics of all the laps? :p

BTW, should we do another 90 minutes race next Saturday or should we do 60-70 minutes?

Angst said:
Good to hear you had a good time. Saw you had some spin outs along the race and got pretty far behind?

Yeah, I had to pit early, so was way off the pace by lap 3 or 4 lol ...

Then I probably pitted five times in total, so ... lost cause.

But yeah didn't mind the beating. Was still super-intense the whole way.

Angst

1. Toxa
2. Niks +34.760
3. Dibbz +59.347
4. Polyphony +1:10.556
5. ashk +1:10.581
6. brentech +2:04.766
7. Angst +2:05.356
8. Metalmurphy +2:05.694
9. NEOPARADIGM DNF
10. SunhiLegend DNF (disconnected)
11. Salacious Crumb DNE (Did Not Enter)

Angst said:
But I had the advantage of fresh tyres so you shouldn't feel bad MM for me overtaking you at the last lap.
I had fresh tyres too, I think the biggest factor was Niks helping you slipstream lol.

I noticed that at start I was gaining time on you, and the Niks spawn out and stayed between you and me, then both of you guys started gaining on me.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
I had fresh tyres too, I think the biggest factor was Niks helping you slipstream lol.

I noticed that at start I was gaining time on you, and the Niks spawn out and stayed between you and both of you guys started gaining on me.
Eh? I came out of the pits when you passed me. Then I was behind you for a while, caught up to you and we traded places - then we passed niks on lap 44. That's where I got helped by slipstream from him.

Or maybe you also came from the pits? Don't know as it's all a bit blurry now. :D

Btw, as there was no rain at Monza today, except in practice which got brentech all sulky ;), I want to do another race on a track with dynamic weather.

Sarthe next Saturday?

Angst said:
Eh? I came out of the pits when you passed me. Then I was behind you for a while, caught up to you and we traded places - then we passed niks on lap 44. That's where I got helped by slipstream from him.

Or maybe you also came from the pits? Don't know as it's all a bit blurry now. :D
But I had pitted the lap before. :p

Actually, now that I think about it, that's probably why I was gaining time, your tires were still cold.

brentech

You guys were coming up on me so fast at the end. I knew when both of you had pitted, and my tires were wearing. So I kept sliding more and more and then made a few mental errors as I started to feel the pressure. Barely kept my 6th place. Almost clipped the grass on the final turn and spun it, but luckily I just kept my wheels on.

Angst

brentech said:
You guys were coming up on me so fast at the end. I knew when both of you had pitted, and my tires were wearing. So I kept sliding more and more and then made a few mental errors as I started to feel the pressure. Barely kept my 6th place. Almost clipped the grass on the final turn and spun it, but luckily I just kept my wheels on.
I was hoping to overtake you, but the race was over by then. If only it had been one more lap...

brentech

I made the mistake of not pitting until lap 23. I lost a good amount of time during the later laps on that run. Was running a lot of 1.48s and maybe a few slower. Then I pitted on lap 33 to take me to the finish, and started losing grip there.

Angst

brentech said:
I made the mistake of not pitting until lap 23. I lost a good amount of time during the later laps on that run. Was running a lot of 1.48s and maybe a few slower. Then I pitted on lap 33 to take me to the finish, and started losing grip there.
My plan was to pit on lap 23 only. Empty fuel tank made me rethink that strategy :(

The grid at start of parade lap:

ashk

I decided on a one-stopper too, but then I got hit a few times and eventually crashed due to the vibrations in the wheel.

Angst, during my pit stop you came in way after I did but you managed to come out right after me. I was like "WTF were my guys doing so long", I had no idea you weren't fueled up :p

Also, slipstreaming got annoying real fast :(

Le Mans 24 Hours is next week so I think Sarthe is a no-brainer :p

Angst

I was happy that my guy was faster than your guys, but didn't bother to look at my fuel gauge. I swear I told them to fill up 20 liters, but they did nothing. :/

Dibbz

Monza why you so Sunny?? :p

Great racing today. I started 5th but was sleeping on the first lap and got swamped by MM and Olivur I think. Ended up battling with Olivur for a few laps pretty tense trading places whilst I could see the front runners just up ahead. From what I remember me and Olivur went into the 2nd last turn together and I was on the inside turning outside when I spun out.

Spent the rest of the race trying to catch up. Pitted early about lap 14 I think in hopes of undercutting every by posting qualy pace lap times. That didn't work out so well as I came out behind Brentch and was doing like 1:46's. Wasted the new tyres and felt the race slipping.

Kept out until lap 32 or something and by then I had undercut a lot of people, (Angst, MM and Niks I think). Came out of pits just behind Olivur and could not catch him on the cold tyres. Took a few laps before I caught him and then passed him. At this point I saw Angst going super slow and Nab's in the pits. I thought they might have crashed or something but whatever it was allowed me to steal 3rd place.

Crazy race and I survived without sustaining damage although I gotta say NEO came really really close to dishing some out to me but somehow he only hit my door and went off.

Dibbz said:
Crazy race and I survived without sustaining damage although I gotta say NEO came really really close to dishing some out to me but somehow he only hit my door and went off.

Glad about that. Was actually the only part of the race that confused me: didn't seem like I was going that fast, braked around 120 ft; no idea why I came in so hard. Must not have accounted for your slipstream. My damage was pretty minimal, too, though.

Niks

Great race everyone, cant believe we started on time!
Built up a 10 sec lead in the first half of the race only to loose it while lapping Neo, (he was erratic, heavily damaged) ended up in the gravel. Then had to pit again due to contact with Nab.

All in all awesome race, congrats Toxa.

Starting grid.

UZ6Wa.jpg

Parade lap (worked great imo)
Ky2ji.jpg

Green, green, green
Uyjwv.jpg

Platinum Trophy (First corner without incident)
EQITo.jpg

bzvJB.jpg

zNGub.jpg

X33YS.jpg

HyaCG.jpg

Wo8g3.jpg

JV5w2.jpg

Favorite photo
9N9bB.jpg

Ste7j.jpg

Btfnw.jpg

xFDG3.jpg

zrKSx.jpg

dyJB2.jpg

Polyphony

Dibbz said:

Crazy race indeed. I tried pulling a pass similar to Hakkinen's when you were overtaking NEO, but I hesistated too much and chickened out at the last second, causing myself to hit the barrier and damage my car for the rest of the race.

1 pit strategy was good. I was too hard on the tires at the beginning of the race and made many mistakes when my tires were dying, but the second stint was better after getting a feel for the car and track, despite the damage sustained during that attempted pass.

The end with ashk was too close for comfort!

Angst

I just realized that the damage ashk had that lead to him crashing was probably caused by me. We did trade a few bumps during slip-streaming and braking, I did get some very minor damage in one wheel, but I suspect you got the worst part of the deal? Sorry about that man.

And NEO, I hope you want to join us again for the next race. You had a hard time and got pretty far behind, but in my experience the lessons learned from an online race such as this makes people improve a lot. I had no issues when lapping you at all.

Toxa

well it was insane

autodromonazionalemtxz.jpg

the first ten laps was tight, really entertaining , great battle

autodromonazionalemjj67.jpg

autodromonazionalemlkd.jpg

one thing that worried me was seeing someone running away and that's what happened, I do not know how niks managed to escape but not too far ~ 2-4 sec,.

I planned two pit stop strategy ( 1 stop or 2 stop) I was stuck in a endless battle with nab and MM so I decided to opt for the aggressive strategy (2 stop) I managed to escape from them but I was unable to catch up with niks (gap ~ 3-4) so I decided to sitck with 2 pit stop, early pits stop at lap 16 before the tire collapses.

autodromonazionalemunhe.jpg

I managed to properly calculate fuel consumption and I added just a bit of fuel for my first pit stop, I was in 4th place after my pit stop , trying to push hard ...

I do not know if 2 pit stop was a good idea, actually I was a bit too slow after my pit stop and I thought I would finish 3rd or 4th when I realized that the other will perform only one stop but eventually I started to gain time and catch up with angst who resisted for 1 lap before falling, I was annoyed, unhappy because I was losing time xD then I started to gain time again and the gap was suddenly reduced significantly, I saw niks in the pit something went wrong ...

he lost control of his car to avoid the neo, his car was crazy

autodromonazionalempuso.jpg

the highlight of the race :(

autodromonazionalem6sk8.jpg

From that moment I told myself that my strategy might be really effective, but I must push hard, I took the lead when nab was in the pit, 2 laps before my second pit stop, I saw neo with his crazy car again xDI managed to avoid him but it was close

autodromonazionalemtpd8.jpg

I managed to get a gap of 42 seconds before my pit stop, I added just enough fuel to finish the race but the refueling was long it took forever xD it was enough to keep the lead with a gap of 7 seconds !
all I had to do was to keep the pace and I had fresh tires :) I was a little worried by the consumption of fuel, in the last last lap it was critical, but my calculation was perfect :)

Flawless race, good strategy but I was lucky.

Capsule Corp Racing, best pit crew (quickest pit stop)

autodromonazionalemqp7q.jpg

ashk

Angst said:
I just realized that the damage ashk had that lead to him crashing was probably caused by me. We did trade a few bumps during slip-streaming and braking, I did get some very minor damage in one wheel, but I suspect you got the worst part of the deal? Sorry about that man.

And NEO, I hope you want to join us again for the next race. You had a hard time and got pretty far behind, but in my experience the lessons learned from an online race such as this makes people improve a lot. I had no issues when lapping you at all.

No apologies necessary. Some damage was caused by you, but it wasn't your fault. What happened was that Niks got into the gravel trap in the middle of Ascari and hit me when rejoining, which gave me damage on the front right. As a result I slowed down and got rear-ended by you coming out of Ascari which damaged my back two wheels. I had minor difficulties controlling the car then, especially under braking, but we had a good fight for a few laps. Then I hit neoparadigm while lapping him and then all my wheels were damaged :D After that I couldn't break well and I almost hit you while braking for Roggia. Instead of hitting you I swerved to the right to avoid contact, hit the wall and got engine damage, so I had to pit.

Top Bottom