• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Season 2 - Vorsicht statt nachsicht

Angst

Awesome, my guys in the pit are really fast, I entered the pits way behind ashk, but somehow we're finished at the same time:

Me and Ashk playing it close:

Even closer with MM: (earlier in the race)

Small bump from ashk makes della Roggia exciting:

No fuel left :(

MM does some reversing to get back to the pits and refuel: (reversing MM? That's maybe not the best of ideas...)

Angst said:
MM does some reversing to get back to the pits and refuel: (reversing MM? That's not the best idea...)

[]http://i.imgur.com/TGOW5h.jpg[/]

It was just a couple of meters and there was no one behind lol. It was hilarious as hell, the fuel gauge was at red, and I was "I wonder if it's like real cars, where red still lasts for a while" as soon as I pass the pit lane BAM, car stops lol, 1 second earlier and I wouldn't have to reverse.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
It was just a couple of meters and there was no one behind lol. It was hilarious as hell, the fuel gauge was at red, and I was "I wonder if it's like real cars, where red still lasts for a while" as soon as I pass the pit lane BAM, car stops lol, 1 second earlier and I wouldn't have to reverse.
lmao, yeah. Wish I had looked at the fuel gauge too. Lol. FYI, red lasts for half a lap... :/

Angst

Super GT Saturday 4th June
iUbs7.jpg

Winner: Toxa
Second place: Niks
Third place: Dibbz

Times:
1. Toxa
2. Niks +34.760
3. Dibbz +59.347
4. Polyphony +1:10.556
5. ashk +1:10.581
6. brentech +2:04.766
7. Angst +2:05.356
8. Metalmurphy +2:05.694
9. NEOPARADIGM DNF
10. SunhiLegend DNF (disconnected)
11. Salacious Crumb DNE (Did Not Enter)

Post-race musings:

Parade lap worked really good this time. No major incidents during the whole race as far as I could tell. Race started on time (yay). Very interesting to see how people used different pit strategies, with Toxa's 2 stop strategy coming out on top. I'm very happy with how the race turned out and I hope you guys had fun as well. A bit bummed that we didn't get any rain though.

Longer race format worked very well, only Sunhi dropped out early (he said as much before the race too). Next race will be the same race length. I'll post the details for next race shortly.

Anybody wants to submit a banner for Le Sarthe?
Text on banner: "NeoGAF Super GT mini-league <br>Race #2, Circuit de la Sarthe"
PM me today or I'll use my inferior skills and create something atrocious :p

Polyphony

I got a bit confused during parade lap. I thought I started ahead of MM, but he was accelerating quite quickly from the grid. I didn't want to race him to the first corner and cause a crash on the parade lap so I let him go lol. Just wondering if I was supposed to be ahead or not XD.

brentech

My ass was getting sore in the last 10 laps, lol. I do like the longer event as it gives time for more strategy and awards the consistent driver, but could stand something just slightly shorter (though, I don't think I'll be there next weekend as there is a car show down the road).

I did see some people swerving in the parade, and I'm pretty sure contact was made between two...again. It was ahead of me, but I'm pretty sure someone took some damage. Kind of thought we were done with those shenanigans. It's just not worth it.

Outside of that, most everything I saw was clean.
I missed a lot though, not sure what happened, but I got left in the dust at the start and without someone to draft with, it took me way back.
Luckily over time I gained some positions, but hell, that start killed me. Right after my first pit at lap 23 I came out and ran 10 laps with Toxa. The first few out we traded on straights, after that he started to pull away, but was always in my range and I just wish that's how my start had gone. While he was faster, it was a world of difference from the beginning of the race for me.
Then I passed MM while he was in the pits, and the next lap Angst. Was running decent laps until the last 3, I could see them on my map reeling me in as they had each other to race and draft. Had the race run 100 more meters, they both would have passed me =O

Polyphony said:
I got a bit confused during parade lap. I thought I started ahead of MM, but he was accelerating quite quickly from the grid. I didn't want to race him to the first corner and cause a crash on the parade lap so I let him go lol. Just wondering if I was supposed to be ahead or not XD.
Pretty sure you should have been ahead. I saw him swerve and pass you and never give it up. Was kind of weird.

Polyphony said:
I think there was a problem with ghost cars. For example I didn't understand why was there such a big gap between me and the guy behind me (brentech) during the parade lap, probably because there was someone else there that I couldn't see.

I also finished 6th instead of 8th on my grid :/

brentech

Ah, well that sucks. I think there was a total of 9 or 10 to start the race, with only one dropping out.

add edit: Guess we need to add a start procedure of having someone ask if everyone sees X number of drivers. We've had problems with this the last few races I've been at.

Angst

Circuit de la Sarthe
RGeH5.png
Length: 8.47mi/13629 m Longest Straight: 1.04mi/1679 m Elevation Change: 122.4ft/37,3 m Corners: 38​

Race starts in:
t1307822400z0.png

Allowed cars:
Super GT cars that have been approved for Season 2 so that includes standards, for the full list, see OP

Teams:
There are no teams, everyone for themselves.​

Track:
Circuit de la Sarthe 2009 - Dynamic Weather - Chicane ver - Time​

Laps:
22 laps, estimated race time 80 minutes​
Weather:
Dynamic (starting with same condition as real life location at the time of race)

Players Participating (9/16):
  • 01 - Angst - Nissan Fairlady Z Xanavi Nismo Super GT '06
  • 02 - Dibbz - Honda NSX ARTA Super GT '06
  • 03 - Ashk - Nissan GT-R Xanavi Nismo Super GT '08
  • 04 - MikeDub - Lexus SC 430 Eneos Super GT '08
  • 05 - Niks - Toyota Supra WoodOne Tom's JGTC '03
  • 06 - Mush - Honda NSX Raybrig Super GT '06 - tentative car
  • 07 - Sunhilegend - Honda NSX Raybrig Super GT '06 - tentative car
  • 08 - MetalMurpy - Toyota Supra au Ceromo JGTC '01 - tentative car
  • 09 - Gynoug79 - Honda NSX Takata Dome Super GT '06
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 21.00 CET
Lounge reset - 22.00 CET
Qualifications start - 22.00 CET
Race start 22.30 CET

At 21.50 we will do a 2 laps race as a warm-up, attendance for the warm-up race isn't mandatory, but recommended. When we're done with the warm-up we will do a sync check in the pits, once the sync is complete qualification starts.

We will do a shortened parade lap at 80 MPH with no passing allowed. Race starts when you pass the beep at T1 (or T2, need to check). Start accelerating when you hear the beep. No warm-up of tyres on the parade lap (doesn't work anyway and leads to widening gaps and incidents).

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

In case of rain:

I've found that raising the car to the fullest and softening up the suspension helps immensely on wet tarmac. If you have the car lowered too much you will essentially be riding a surf board instead of in a car. I.e. the car water planes very easily. As Le Sarthe is pretty bumpy you shouldn't be running in a very low car anyway.

Credit and thanks to Metalmurphy for images and nice formatting

Angst

brentech said:
Ah, well that sucks. I think there was a total of 9 or 10 to start the race, with only one dropping out.

add edit: Guess we need to add a start procedure of having someone ask if everyone sees X number of drivers. We've had problems with this the last few races I've been at.
Yeah, next race we'll do a check before qualification starts. Kinda forgot about that this time.

Toxa

brentech said:
My ass was getting sore in the last 10 laps, lol. I do like the longer event as it gives time for more strategy and awards the consistent driver, but could stand something just slightly shorter (though, I don't think I'll be there next weekend as there is a car show down the road).

same for me, 45 was too long :p the last 10 laps seemed to me an eternity xD and I was exhausted and I'm still exhausted. I am not sure to make another race
and I'm a bit tired it takes a lot of time preparing for these races xD

but 45 laps was cool you can try different strategy

Angst

And we didn't even go the full 90 minutes. I think we did 75 minutes or so. I'm ok with decreasing a little bit, but I still want there to be the option between a one or two stop strategy. If it's too short only one stop will be a viable option (barring damage ofc)

Dibbz

Sign me up

Dibbz - ATRA NSX

I felt that the time was about right. I got by on a two stop which would have ruined me if it were any shorter. This way there are two options you can take in the race between the one or two stops. It really makes the last 1/4 of the race exciting because everyone in theory should meet up even with different strategies. Makes it exciting when you reach this stage which would not be possible on a one stop only race.

Ark

Angst said:
And we didn't even go the full 90 minutes. I think we did 75 minutes or so. I'm ok with decreasing a little bit, but I still want there to be the option between a one or two stop strategy. If it's too short only one stop will be a viable option (barring damage ofc)

From my experience the only tracks where it's possible to do a proper one-stopper are Monza, Fuji, Monaco and Suzuka (at a real push), so far at least. There are still a bunch of tracks we haven't done yet though.

What was the pole time for your guys' race at Monza yesterday? It'd be interesting to see any difference between yours guys and our championships since we're basically running the same settings & rules.

Ark

Dibbz said:
Think some people were getting sub 1:44's in qualy. We have the cars BHP limited at 502 though.

Ah cool, I put my Raybrig NSX on pole yesterday with a 1:41.4xx, so that's pretty cool.

I guess I'll just put this out there; I've got a setup for Le Sarthe on my NSX that allows for a 1-2 stopper depending on race length (ours was 2 stops in 90 minutes) and allows for a 3:44.xxx in qualy, feel free to pm me if you want it.

Angst

I did a 1.43.8 during quali, niks did 1.42.8 (I think) and Toxa somewhere in between.

Ark - are you in a gtplanet league? Could you pm me a link to your league? I just want to see how you guys are organising things.

Toxa

Monza and Le Mans are not example it depends if you cut (massively, a bit or not) the chicane

Ark

Toxa said:
Monza and Le Mans are not example it depends if you cut (massively, a bit or not) the chicane

We have a strict penalty system for cutting corners, anyone that cut the second chicane without an obvious reason (You can see when people out-brake themselves on the replays) would be given a 10 or 20-second penalty, so no one was cutting the chicane.

When it comes to Monza & Le Sarthe, it's all about finding time in the smallest of areas and getting the gearing fine tuned.

brentech

I think I was probably 10, maybe even 20km/h too high with my gearing yesterday. Think that's why people were accelerating way quicker than me out of the chicanes. I still only use the total top speed, I don't adjust each individual yet as I fear to break my car, lol.

ashk

IMO a one stopper was the better strategy in Monza (at least for me and the speed at which my tyres wore out), but for me it got fucked up by damage and unplanned stops, as it did for a few other people that I noticed.

Sign me up for La Sarthe, although if the 24h race gets exciting at that time I might not show up :p

Ark

When are you guys doing practice rounds for Le Sarthe? I've got all week off and a bit of racing never hurt anybody :)

brentech

Ark said:
When are you guys doing practice rounds for Le Sarthe? I've got all week off and a bit of racing never hurt anybody :)
Practices usually aren't scheduled as much as just someone posting in here that they're in our GAFSuperGT lounge.

Angst

Ark said:
I will be in the lounge tonight from 21.00 CET, have to do some tests and practice. Everybody is welcome to join and if we get a couple of people in there we'll be doing some short races.

Angst

15.00 EST (if New York is EST, which I presume). I'll be there until around 17.00 EST. So probably a bit early for you guys in the US?

One thing I've noticed - there are more Americans than Europeans in the league, but most practice sessions are organized by us Europeans... Just post here that you want to do a practice session at a reasonable hour for US folks and I'm sure you will get some people to race with :)

Once again I won't be able to compete in this weekends race :( However, this time it is for a pretty damn good reason, I will be at the Montreal GP, WOOT!!@@

Have a good race!

Angst

I have a suggestion:

Lets keep the race at 90 minutes, skip qualifications and start in reverse order from the results from last race.

And this:

Allowed cars:

LM Cars (PP limited)

As the real 24 hours Le Mans is this weekend I feel we should honor that. Also - new seasonal events and triple prize money + 50 % off in the OCD means people should have no problem affording an LM car.

You guys with me?

ashk

I would absolutely love to do a race in the way you propose, but I think this change might be a bit of a short notice. I'm not so comfortable with LMP/Group C cars so it might take a while for me to get as used to them as I am with SuperGT cars. And I don't have much free time at the moment, plus there are a few things in the new patch that have my attention at the moment :)

Angst

Scratch the LM cars by popular demand. :p

How about my other proposal - skipping the qualifications to keep the race time down? With Super GT cars, I promise.

And yes, the registrations have been embarrassingly low so far. I guess I have to start sending those PMs... If there's only us five it seems a bit pointless to go through with the race. We could do the race in an open lounge and see if any randoms are up for 22 laps at Le Sarthe. Damage will definitely been on light in that case.

ashk

Skipping quali is OK with me.

Regarding the low number of participants, I dunno. But a 90 minute race with only 5 people doesn't sound too good.

I'll definetly be able to race aswell. Last time I got disconnected otherwise I would have gone the full race distance, I never quit a race on purpose no matter how long it is or what position i'm in.

Angst

Mush and Sunhi:

I've added you guys to the grid. What cars are you planning to use? I've put you both down with Raybrig, but perhaps you want unique cars?

Angst

Dibbz
Banned
(06-04-2011, 09:03 PM)
Reply | Quote

WTF? Please tell me it's not a permaban

Edit - I've spanned the usual suspects with PMs, so let us hope we can get some more people on the grid.

Edit 2 - 8 participants, much better. No randoms needed. (MM wasn't 100 %, but I interpreted that as "Hell yeah")

Gynoug79

Would love to join. Mostly a lurker here, so i hope thats allright. I am not the fastest but have lots of league racing under the belt and can behave myself...

Not sure about the car yet, would add that later today if i get a go.

edit:
my PSN tag is GHR_Gynoug79

Angst

Gynoug79 said:
Would love to join. Mostly a lurker here, so i hope thats allright. I am not the fastest but have lots of league racing under the belt and can behave myself...

Not sure about the car yet, would add that later today if i get a go.

edit:
my PSN tag is GHR_Gynoug79
You are of course very much welcome to join us :) Please send a friend request to GAFSuperGT on PSN. We do all races in the lounge of said account.

Top Bottom