• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Season 2 - Vorsicht statt nachsicht

Juicy Bob

Yeah, beautiful. How do you get the standards to look so good? Whenever I try to shoot a standard in the wild, it looks awful.

Dibbz

Great pics there they look really good. Btw who was driving the Toyota One? Car is hot so good choice.

It's funny how the front runners took each other out yet still beat everyone by 1 minute :/ lol.

ashk

seattle6418 said:
I´m afraid that was me. I spun the tires (had TC control off) and the car snapped hitting you on the side, sending you to the grass.

Don't worry about it, it's all a part of racing. There was no need to let me pass, we were racing and of course no one wants to give places away. It worked out well in the end and it made the race more exciting for me :)

Actually my last stint was only 12 laps, the one before that was 17 laps :p

G Rom

Thanks guys ! :)

Juicy Bob said:
Yeah, beautiful. How do you get the standards to look so good? Whenever I try to shoot a standard in the wild, it looks awful.

Most of the time, they do look awful compared to the Premium. It's a matter of finding the right angle for the right car. For example the GT-One and the Pesca look terrible from both sides but the front looks pretty good.

Don't know what happened but my replay of the M3 race ended up being in daylight so no night shots... :-/

That last shot really highlights how far from the rest of the pack the two leader were ! :D
Same as before, click to get the 1080p and there's more here.

Angst

My race report:

For me it was an awesome race - the speed of the cars, the sounds, everything. I did a pretty good start and once the leaders took themselves out I found my self in 4th. A couple of laps later I was in second, chasing Dibbz. It was an interesting chase, with the gap decreasing for each lap. I was on his tail on lap 9, but just as I was going to challenge him my wheel came off from the desk... During my struggle to reattach the wheel and still driving the car I dropped down to 4th again, losing perhaps 10-15 seconds. Later in the race i found myself chasing Dibbz again, this time for the last spot on the podium. I was right on his tail and perhaps got a bit too excited as I pushed down too hard on the throttle, car snapped and I hit the barrier. This was just after the pit entrance, so I had to do one lap with a busted right front tyre. Niks and Juicy Bob caught up to me and as my car was all over the place during braking, Niks hit me from behind - my only incident involving another car during the whole race. Had to pit again on lap 33 and by then it was too late to start the chase for Dibbz again.

Next week we will, despite my misgivings (and the Nordschleife race only increased my misgivings) do a race with light damage. As this will make for a much less dynamic race, it makes no sense to me to do a long race. Instead I suggest we do two races back to back for a total race time of 60 minutes.

My idea is to do a 30 min race on Monaco, then another 30 min race, this time on Eiger. Second race we use reverse grid order from the previous race result.

How does this sound? I'll look through the cars but it will be a one-make race(s) in one (or two) premium, low powered car on Sports Medium I think.

Dont even try and spin the last race as representative of a low damage race. For starters damage was off, it was in the dark and everyone seemed pretty relaxed. Let's actually give the alternate start a try before writing it off with hypothesis.

I think we should run 1 car across the two tracks and add up the points for a final tally.

brentech

I actually like the idea of one make races (for fun, obviously). Unfortunately, it's another doubtful weekend for my attendance.

I'm also fine with light damage as it can still cause engine damage and slow someone for their mistakes without completely taking someone else out of the race as happened to me in the last two events of season 1.
I was basically doing laps by myself and it simply wasn't fun at all (this is in large due to the fact that we were on longer courses where it becomes a bigger problem. at the 'ring my car was sandwiched and I had to withstand a near 13 minute lap because I had full hard damage in every sector of my car)

Toxa

Angst said:
Next week we will, despite my misgivings (and the Nordschleife race only increased my misgivings) do a race with light damage. As this will make for a much less dynamic race, it makes no sense to me to do a long race. Instead I suggest we do two races back to back for a total race time of 60 minutes.

well I am happy to be retired somehow :D and be here as a consultant. :p if "Full damages" was disable Dibbz would have never led the race, will full damages be fast is not a guarantee of victory it makes the race more interesting.

Unfortunately for Dibbz Ashk and Seattle were too fast

Angst

I'm with you toxa, but lots of people wants it, so we'll do it next week. If we had been on light damage yesterday the race would have been over by lap 5 or something. But, no complaints from me, we'll try it and if it's a blast we'll do light the week after that as well.

We DID do the last couple of races in the NRL on light damage, the races where definitely fun, but less dynamic IMO.

Toxa said:
well I am happy to be retired somehow :D and be here as a consultant. :p if "Full damages" was disable Dibbz would have never led the race, will full damages be fast is not a guarantee of victory it makes the race more interesting.

Unfortunately for Dibbz Ashk and Seattle were too fast
That literally makes no sense Toxa. We also know that you can't speculate on what would or would no have happened with damage being different.

Niks

Angst said:
I'm with you toxa, but lots of people wants it, so we'll do it next week. If we had been on light damage yesterday the race would have been over by lap 5 or something. But, no complaints from me, we'll try it and if it's a blast we'll do light the week after that as well.

We DID do the last couple of races in the NRL on light damage, the races where definitely fun, but less dynamic IMO.

Its just a matter of perspective really, and it depends a lot on the situation.
Fast drivers will still be fast no matter the level of damage, (nab went from last to first wtf), however due to heavy damage both Nab and Seattle had pretty a pretty "lonely" race, they never fought side to side for the win.

With this in mind I dont agree the race would have been over on lap 5, also the fight for 3rd to 7th place, would have been very tight. Dibbz, MM, Angst, docretes and myself were pretty close imo.

So it comes down to each persons definition of fun. I enjoy it either way to be honest. :)

Juicy Bob

I understand what you mean by light damage races being 'less damage' but with full damage I got fucking owned 3 times on Sunday, and that just isn't fun. Or fair. The other thing is that there will still be collisions and people will still make mistakes, so you've always got a chance to pass someone if they suffer misfortune. And what if someone romps away into the distance and dominates? If they are genuinely that fast, that's only fair, isn't it?

Ark

Toxa said:

Full damage is only viable if everyone on the grid has absolutely minimum lag, and can drive 110% cleanly. It's even worse on the Nurburgring, once you've made a mistake and gotten engine damage you might as well just give up, it'll take you ~15 minutes to travel round.

Sure heavy damage makes the races more dynamic, but people will still make loads of mistakes with light damage and it really gives you a chance to push to the very edge at times, without the additional risk.

Juicy Bob said:
I understand what you mean by light damage races being 'less damage' but with full damage I got fucking owned 3 times on Sunday, and that just isn't fun. Or fair. The other thing is that there will still be collisions and people will still make mistakes, so you've always got a chance to pass someone if they suffer misfortune. And what if someone romps away into the distance and dominates? If they are genuinely that fast, that's only fair, isn't it?

I agree, but you could always add success ballast if you wanted to slow people down.

Angst

Next week will be light damage, as already stated. Lets evaluate how it worked after the race.

I'll comment on the last two posts and then I'll drop the damage discussion until after the race.
Juicy Bob said:
Of course that's fair. If someone is the fastest they should win. But, with light damage a fast guy can drive even faster, as he doesn't have to be as careful when passing people and can push through corners much harder. If they push too hard and hit a wall it slows them down and they miss 20 seconds and that's that. Thus all laps can be driven qualification style.
Ark said:
Sure heavy damage makes the races more dynamic, but people will still make loads of mistakes with light damage and it really gives you a chance to push to the very edge at times, without the additional risk.
Exactly. And that's exactly what I don't like. :p

I think we all have pretty strong opinions about damage, lets see our next race goes down and then pick up the discussion again.

I'm considering the Ford Mustang Mach1 for the one-make race. I bought it yesterday and raced it stock with Sports Hard. I really liked it.

Either the Ford Mustang, Mazda RX7 or the Nissan350Z, I think. Any other ideas?

*Edit* I'll post the OP tonight, if nobody chimes in I'll go with the Ford Mustang as it looks, sounds and drives like a boss.

Toxa

Ark said:
Full damage is only viable if everyone on the grid has absolutely minimum lag, and can drive 110% cleanly. It's even worse on the Nurburgring, once you've made a mistake and gotten engine damage you might as well just give up, it'll take you ~15 minutes to travel round.

thanks I know that, Whatever happens, there are always those who mourn and I'm disappointed :(

Angst said:
I think we all have pretty strong opinions about damage, lets see our next race goes down and then pick up the discussion again.

Okay :D I have some ideas depending on how that goes so, yeah, let's see.

Mustang Mach1, eh? I think I like the idea, I'm going to try it right now. I don't like the other options that much, too "typical". What I did like was that suggestion somebody made of using the 360 Scuderia but maybe that's a little bit too powerful :p

Angst

Yeah, I felt we should do a race with lower powered cars and the Ferraris are a bit too fast IMO. The Mustan Mach 1 has a lot of BHP, but it weighs a lot, so it's not very fast.

No upgrades to power and weight.

G Rom

Angst said:
Yeah, I felt we should do a race with lower powered cars and the Ferraris are a bit too fast IMO. The Mustan Mach 1 has a lot of BHP, but it weighs a lot, so it's not very fast.

No upgrades to power and weight.

When you say that, you mean absolutely stock car or suspension, differential, etc... upgrades are ok ?

Mush said:
Samba Bus around the Top Gear Test Track!

/runs

Fixed.

*runs even faster than Mush*

Angst

Mush said:
Mini Coopers around the Top Gear Test Track!

/runs
uN1Tq.png

:p

Actually, it's a cool idea, but FF cars are pretty drab IMO and I'd prefer to do FR or MR (or RR).
G Rom said:
When you say that, you mean absolutely stock car or suspension, differential, etc... upgrades are ok ?
Yeah, as that part is impossible to regulate I think it's easier to just allow it than running the risk of someone abusing an honour system. Suspension upgrade, transmission and differential etc is allowed.

I think we'll go with the Ford. It's a big car, but all small cars are FF - except the Lotus Elise. And I'm afraid people still hate the Elise after the Top Gear challenge...

Samba buses... :D

G Rom

Ok, just saw that the car has aero upgrades, what is FAN's (Fédération Automobile de NeoGAF :p) stance on this ?

Angst

No aero upgrades allowed, Sports Hard tyres only, oil change allowed. Transmission, suspension, differential, drive shaft and clutch plates are all allowed.

Just stay away from engine upgrades and weight reductions as some of those can't be undone.

Angst said:
No aero upgrades allowed, Sports Hard tyres, oil change allowed, transmission, suspension, differential, drive shaft, clutch plates are all allowed.

Just stay away from engine upgrades and weight reductions as some of those can't be undone.

Basically anything that changes PP besides oil and engine break in

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
Basically anything that changes PP besides oil and engine break in
Yep, that's it.

I think I'll lock down BHP after the first oil change and not allow engine break in either. That way we won't have to deal with people having different BHP.

Angst said:
Yep, that's it.

I think I'll lock down BHP after the first oil change and not allow engine break in either. That way we won't have to deal with people having different BHP.

I think you should lock down BHP even before the oil change trick :p. That's supposed to be the real BHP no?

People that do the oil change trick can just use the engine limiter.

Polyphony

How about we just set a strict lobby regulation on HP and weight? Would make it easy for those with cars that have a broken-in engine and even for everybody.

Edit: what they both said^

Other cars I've thought of as kinda similar to the Mach 1 are... Infiniti G35, Nissan 300ZX, Toyota FT-86 Concept, Audi TT, Alfa Brera and Tesla Roadster (lol). I wouldn't have a problem with an Elise 111 either. I guess the choices depend on the track as well.

BMW Z4 and Concept 1 would be cool too.

Angst

Ok, here we go.

One-make, 2 track race

Angst_paint_banner.jpg:

Race starts in:
t1309032000z0.png

Allowed car:
Ferrari 512 BB '76​

BHP / Weight
Stock, 355 BHP, 1400 kg​

Teams:
There are no teams, everyone for themselves.​

Track:
1. Monaco
2. Rome​

Laps:
1. Monaco, 16 laps
2. Rome, TBD​
Weather:
SUN

Damage
Light​

Tyre Selection
Sports Hard​

Assists
ABS, Manual or Automatic Gearbox​

Players Participating (13/16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Risk Breaker
  • 03 - MetalMurphy
  • 04 - MikeDub
  • 05 - Niks
  • 06 - G Rom
  • 07 - Seattle6418
  • 08 - ashk
  • 09 - gynoug79
  • 10 - f0rk
  • 11 - SunhiLegend
  • 12 - Dibbz
  • 13 - gutterboy44
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 21.00 CET
Lounge reset - 22.00 CET
Qualifications start - 22.00 CET
Race start 22.15 CET

Please not the earlier start time.

At 21.50 we will do a practice race as a warm-up, attendance for the warm-up race isn't mandatory, but much recommended. When we're done with the warm-up we will do a sync check in the pits, once the sync is complete qualification starts. If you don't know what this is, don't worry, we'll explain it.

Grid position on the second race will be the reverse race result from the previous race.

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Credit and thanks to Metalmurphy for nice formatting

Angst

Here are the cars available (minus retro fitted aeros on some cars)

Ford Mustang Mach 1 '71:

Mini Cooper S '07:

Ferrari 512 BB '76:

Volkswagen typ2(T1) SambaBus ‘62:

Toyota FT86 Concept '10:

Nissan Skyline GT-R V·spec II Nür (R34) ‘02:

Roadster RS (NC) ‘07:

Click images for 1080p

If the Sambabus wins I will allow engine upgrades to help people stay awake during the race :p

Angst

My vote goes to the Ford Mustang Mach 1
but the VW with engine stage 3 and max weight reduction would be awesome

Angst

SunhiLegend said:
8AM woo hoo.
Yep, Juicy Bob Paypal'd me 50 USD so we all had to get up really early instead of him.

True reason: FFFFFFUUUUU :/ fixing now, thanks for spotting it Sunhi.

Angst

If you vote for a car I guess you implicate that you're also going to be in the race. Added you guys above to the OP.

G Rom

I should be there.

Angst said:
My vote goes to the Ford Mustang Mach 1
but the VW with engine stage 3 and max weight reduction would be awesome

I vote for this because races would be fucking epic !
lol.gif

I vote for the R34 skyline. A 4wd monster around Monaco and Autumn Ring should be a blast.

One other option would be to have one car in one track, and a second on the second track.

I´m in. I´ll confirm with both Chimilosky and EFJ to see their status. (i´m not a mod, i can´t activate their accounts, so it is what it is for now).

Angst

Yeah, I thought of using two cars, but I think it will be easier for people to practice using only one car. Let me know how EFJ and chim feels - if they want in they can of course vote as well.

ashk

I'll vote for the Mini. I thought we would be using crappy cars for this race but most of the cars are awesome :(

Top Bottom