• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Season 2 - Vorsicht statt nachsicht

f0rk

I might be able to race for the first time. I'm moving back home from Uni in the morning but it should be all right.

Vote for the Ferrari 512. I haven't tuned a car before, how much do you guys do? What stuff in particular should I mess with?

Angst

f0rk said:
I might be able to race for the first time. I'm moving back home from Uni in the morning but it should be all right.

Vote for the Ferrari 512. I haven't tuned a car before, how much do you guys do? What stuff in particular should I mess with?
I think most of us adjust suspension and transmission (top speed) to fit the track. Some might mess around with gear ratios and differential slips too.

Welcome to the club btw :)

Angst

Thanks for reminding me of my start in the pit stop... actually, that was pretty cool, I started with full damage and a long pit stop, but ended up on third place. In retrospect it feels like we've improved a lot since then.
Juicy Bob said:
You bastard! I got all excited, then... :(
Sorry mate. Will you get up at 5.30AM again to join us? :)

e5VJ8l.jpg

Mmmmm Vintage Ferrari Ass

Wes

venison crêpe
Hope you guys don't mind a couple of queries. Started playing a bit of GT5 again recently and I'd like to get involved in some organised endurance (read: ones that involves pitting) races however I know I'm a long way off but with a mind as to hoping to eventually take part in something like this...

What are the limits you run with regards to the driving options and do you do a 107% rule or anything like that?

Wes said:
Hope you guys don't mind a couple of queries. Started playing a bit of GT5 again recently and I'd like to get involved in some organised endurance (read: ones that involves pitting) races however I know I'm a long way off but with a mind as to hoping to eventually take part in something like this...

What are the limits you run with regards to the driving options and do you do a 107% rule or anything like that?

All aids off except ABS. And no, no one will ban you from racing if you suck at qualifying.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
All aids off except ABS. And no, we no one will ban you from racing if you suck at qualifying.
TC has been allowed for the last couple of races, but will be disallowed for this week's race.

You're very much welcome to join us Wes, as long as you don't dive bomb into the first corner and/or take someone else out on purpose you'll do fine.

Angst

Counting the votes so far we have a very clear winner - the Ferrari 512BB '76. So I have dallied with image editing again and created a banner
I suck

Wes

venison crêpe
Metalmurphy said:
All aids off except ABS. And no, no one will ban you from racing if you suck at qualifying.

Does that include manual transmission only?

Angst said:
You're very much welcome to join us Wes, as long as you don't dive bomb into the first corner and/or take someone else out on purpose you'll do fine.

I don't do stuff like that! I'd probably ask to start at the back of the grid anyway to avoid such an incident! As I'm getting back into the swing of things I've just been doing a lot of time trials, trying to get to grips with driving again and learn the tracks. Gets a bit boring outside of a race environment though.

Maybe I'll see if I can join in a future event.

Mush

Is there anywhere I can view the driver avatars? I've been wanting to make something like a spotters guide for a while now and I would love to be able to pinch the helmets from somewhere.

OfwqZ.jpg

(For those who don't know what I'm on about. I'm also looking for someone with video editing skills to help out once we get back under way. PM me if you want.)

Juicy Bob

You mean like this?

9EpzA.jpg
(Black on Black doesn't quite work...)

They get taken as their own images which you can then export to XMB like every other Photomode image. So we could all take shots of our helmets in the Driver screen and send you the files (or even set those images to be 'shared', if that makes it easier) if you'd like.

Mush

Juicy Bob said:
You mean like this?

9EpzA.jpg
(Black on Black doesn't quite work...)

They get taken as their own images which you can then export to XMB like every other Photomode image. So we could all take shots of our helmets in the Driver screen and send you the files (or even set those images to be 'shared', if that makes it easier) if you'd like.
Something like that, but obviously it would need to be more clear. I was hoping there would be assets I could use on gt.com but, alas. :(

Edit: Aha! Straight from the horse's mouth:
fs4dy.png
7IZv4.png
ATZHv.png
DlMR9.png
be8DW.png

Angst

For some reason they always work fine for the first few minutes. I guess it's just Kaz' way of having you work to earn it.

Angst said:
For some reason they always work fine for the first few minutes. I guess it's just Kaz' way of having you work to earn it.

That's just cause it's still on the browser cache. It won't work for anyone else even in those first minutes.

Grab a bottle of Pinot Noir cause shit is about to get sideways. (I apologize, that is an awful joke)

Now the really difficult part, what color to paint my car for the race.

Angst

Looks like a good grid this week as well. Would be cool if UFRA made an unexpected return too.

I've updated the OP above with all participants that have registered so far and the rules for this particular race. I don't know the stock weight and BHP for the Ferrari, but will update with that tonight. During the race I will lock down the car to the Dealership specs.

I'll be in the lounge at around 21.00 CET tonight for a bit of practice, anybody is welcome to join of course, even those that can't be in the race.

brentech

Dibbz said:
Where is UFRA these days? He hasn't raced with us in years.
Last I heard he was moving + starting a new job or something like that. Needed to get settled before he would be back.

Angst

Yeah, new job has him working a lot and he's not free most Saturdays as it is now, hopefully he can join us for one of these races, but he wasn't sure.

Speaking of races... and since we have a good group of folks racing... can´t we start season 2 of SuperGT doing each race 15 days apart?

If we start in july 2nd, we would end the season on october 29th, which would be for the 10 rounds.

In the break weeks, we would continue these free for all cars fests that we are doing it.

What does the commitee thinks about this?

I´m still totally in for a second season, and since PSN is up and guys are still here... why not?

Angst

seattle6418 said:
Speaking of races... and since we have a good group of folks racing... can´t we start season 2 of SuperGT doing each race 15 days apart?

If we start in july 2nd, we would end the season on october 29th, which would be for the 10 rounds.

In the break weeks, we would continue these free for all cars fests that we are doing it.

What does the commitee thinks about this?

I´m still totally in for a second season, and since PSN is up and guys are still here... why not?
I will go on a long summer vacation in three weeks, so it'd have to be mush in that case - and he seems pretty busy too. I presume more people will go on vacations too?

Angst

In the interest of keeping to a central theme, I'm thinking of switching Autumn Ring with Madrid. Everybody ok with that?

Yeah, I don't mind :D I prefer Rome to Madrid by a large margin as well.

Also, before I tweaked the 512BB I could slide almost all the way through the tunnel in Monaco, holy shit. I'm gonna have to use it for the drift trials :D

Angst

Yeah grid looks very good! I put you on the grid gutterboy.

We will do 16 laps on Monaco, no mandatory pit stops. I need to do some tests on Rome, but race time will be 30 minutes there as well.

Sports Hard tyres and remember - no downtuned cars! You are allowed to use the engine limiter to remove BHP gained from oil change and break-in, but don't buy engine upgrades etc and then downtune the car. And it will be noticeable on replays, so I will be pissed if someone does this >_<

During practice yesterday my best lap was 1.53 - ashk did 1.50.xx I think. Business as usual in other words.

G Rom

Managed a 1:53.049 on Monaco but I know I can improve it because I've been ahead of it several times but failed to keep the gained time until the finish line. It's pretty much a one time only thing though because my regular times are in the 1:54.XXX... :-/

Best I did yesterday was 1'51.4, after a lot of laps doing between 1'53 and 1'52.5. For me, it's all about the last half of the track. I was about .5 faster than ashk in the first sector, about the same in the second and then bam, a second or more down the drain. We both improved through the practice though :)

I have to practice the chicane after the tunnel, I still don't know the most efficient way to brake and turn there.

About the transmision stuffs, I would like to know exactly the differences between all the parts because I read something on GTP some months ago and with tail-happy cars like this it seems pretty important.

Polyphony

Hey guys, I won't be able to race this weekend. Got a wedding to attend on Saturday, but I will try to be at some of the practices just for fun.

f0rk

1:54 was a good lap for me when I was racing the AI so looks like I'll be near the back :D Over 16 laps we should expect to have to pit yeah?

G Rom

Wait, you're telling me that you did 1:51.4 without doing any tuning on the car Risk Breaker ?!

Just did 1:52.571 and was about to improve massively, well until I hit the inside of the chicane after the tunnel anyway... :-/

Angst

f0rk said:
1:54 was a good lap for me when I was racing the AI so looks like I'll be near the back :D Over 16 laps we should expect to have to pit yeah?
Remember to do some practice online / in your lounge as well and with grip reduction set to high. Quite a big difference from A-spec offline.

G Rom said:
Wait, you're telling me that you did 1:51.4 without doing any tuning on the car Risk Breaker ?!

Just did 1:52.571 and was about to improve massively, well until I hit the inside of the chicane after the tunnel anyway... :-/

Oh no, I did tune the car, mostly gearing, lowering it and hardening the suspension a little. But I think that differential and transmission tuning could be very important in this case. Dunno, I still feel like I'm missing some traction :D

Anyway being faster won't mean everything this time either, it's way easier to make a big mistake here than in, say, Fuji. It's also harder to overtake and I think you lose more grip when the tyre is abused with Sports Hard than with Racing Softs, but I'm not sure on that yet.

Top Bottom