• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Season 2 - Vorsicht statt nachsicht

Qualifying is going to be so crucial on this track. Manages to get round with a 1.53.xx consistantly, hopefully be able to push a 1.52.xx at some point. I still wish Monaco didn't look like ass in this game, the turn going into the tunnel is such a horrendous scene.

Angst

Yeah, the textures are pretty low res. Better than in GT4 though, I remember not being able to discern the track from the barriers.

This car sucks, and this tires suck even more. Argh!

I´m glad we are not wasting my favorite track (Autumn Ring) on this.

I have a feeling we will have lots of spins and crashes.

Unfortunately, EFJ1 is tied into a DTM championship over at GTPlanet, and Chimilosky is away on a trip. So i don´t think we will get a full grid.

seattle6418 said:
This car sucks, and this tires suck even more. Argh!

I´m glad we are not wasting my favorite track (Autumn Ring) on this.

I have a feeling we will have lots of spins and crashes.

Unfortunately, EFJ1 is tied into a DTM championship over at GTPlanet, and Chimilosky is away on a trip. So i don´t think we will get a full grid.

How dare you speak ill of this classic beauty! I think we did the lower class tires for a challenge. All of our SS tire races and cars with massive downforce don't highlight the best part of the GT5 physics engine. Moderate cars with lesser tires is so much more rewarding. Just an opinion though.

There will be spins. Myself included

ashk

Metalmurphy said:
Won't have any time to practice at all. You guys better steer clear during the race lol

Kinda in a similar situation here, only done one practice session on Monaco and one on Autumn Ring, and today I notice that Autumn Ring was changed to Rome :( Hopefully I'll have an hour before the race to do a few laps on Rome.

ashk said:
Kinda in a similar situation here, only done one practice session on Monaco and one on Autumn Ring, and today I notice that Autumn Ring was changed to Rome :( Hopefully I'll have an hour before the race to do a few laps on Rome.
Metalmurphy said:
Won't have any time to practice at all. You guys better steer clear during the race lol
lol, im also in exactly the same situation. Only done a few laps around monaco and autumn ring. Have had no time this week, but will have most of the day before race to practice

Mush

I think it's best I don't say I'll be able to race tomorrow, that way in reverse terms I will be available to race.

Sort of.

Angst

One-make, 2 track race

Angst_paint_banner.jpg:

Race starts in:
t1309032000z0.png

Allowed car:
Ferrari 512 BB '76​

BHP / Weight
Stock, 355 BHP, 1400 kg​

Teams:
There are no teams, everyone for themselves.​

Track:
1. Monaco
2. Rome​

Laps:
1. Monaco, 16 laps
2. Rome, 20 laps​
Weather:
SUN

Damage
Light​

Tyre Selection
Sports Hard​

Assists
ABS, Manual or Automatic Gearbox​

Players Participating (13/16):
  • 01 - Angst
  • 02 - Risk Breaker
  • 03 - MetalMurphy
  • 04 - MikeDub
  • 05 - Niks
  • 06 - G Rom
  • 07 - Seattle6418
  • 08 - ashk
  • 09 - gynoug79
  • 10 - f0rk
  • 11 - SunhiLegend
  • 12 - Dibbz
  • 13 - gutterboy44
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 21.00 CET
Lounge reset - 22.00 CET
Qualifications start - 22.00 CET
Race start 22.15 CET

Please not the earlier start time.

At 21.50 we will do a practice race as a warm-up, attendance for the warm-up race isn't mandatory, but much recommended. When we're done with the warm-up we will do a sync check in the pits, once the sync is complete qualification starts. If you don't know what this is, don't worry, we'll explain it.

Grid position on the second race will be the reverse race result from the previous race.

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Credit and thanks to Metalmurphy for nice formatting

Woohoo! I think I'll be joining at around 21.30 because I want to watch at least a little bit of the sub-21 Spain match (eurocup finals).

Anyway I'll be there with my yellow 512BB! What colours are you guys going to use? I only remember Angst's white.

Angst

Risk Breaker said:
Woohoo! I think I'll be joining at around 21.30 because I want to watch at least a little bit of the sub-21 Spain match (eurocup finals).

Anyway I'll be there with my yellow 512BB! What colours are you guys going to use? I only remember Angst's white.
My 512BB is now light matte yellow. The others in the lounge are using blue, silver and black I think.

Niks said:
There are already some of us in the lounge if you want to join for some practice.

Can't do that, only have a TV here and I'm already watching the match. Guess a Wii U would come in handy now, lol.

Angst said:
My 512BB is now light matte yellow. The others in the lounge are using blue, silver and black I think.

Nice, that should make for great pictures... I wish I had some spare mattes, maybe I'll repaint it pink just for shits and giggles.

I don't know who McKane is but... dude. You've blocked me twice in a row in the first corner of Madrid when I was 1st and 2nd. I did 19 laps in Rome trying to get fastest lap or something and to see if I could've maintained Gutter's pace but I was just too frigging frustrated with the three incidents involving f0rk and me. Massive engine and wheels damage every time, not to mention the additional tyre wear :/

Monaco race was awesome though, even with the massive crash with Dibbz and Niks (I still don't know what made me spin like that, rubber walls anyone?) some extremely close racing between all 6 first cars (don't know about the rest). Congrats to Gutter specially, he's a beast with this monster!

I think we should go back to Full damage or something, too many accidents for me and too reckless of a driving from some people.

PS: I'm watching the Madrid race right now and damn, he's bumping every wall and sliding all over the place lol.

Angst

Madrid was fucking horrible.
I was a bit too tired and bumped people and I suspect the same applies for others.

Monaco was awesome and I think Rome was all right too. I'll upload the replays later tonight.

Next week will be one-make again. I have a couple of cars in mind and will post them later.

f0rk

Those were my first online races and I really enjoyed them. The 1v1 battles are really fun and intense.
I'm clearly not at the level most of you guys are though, one crash and I was lost forever. I was running well in the middle of the pack for a bit in Monaco but I got taken out coming out of the chicane on the first lap, then on the second got pushed onto the curb at the hairpin (this might of been my fault for going for a Hamilton style overtake on the inside). Then I was chasing a couple of guys near the back and barely keeping up as the tyres started to go so I pitted hoping to get them when they came in, but never saw them again :(. I caught MetalMurphy coming out though and the last few laps were intense. Think I might have been pushing it with how I took the chicane sometimes though.
Rome wasn't quite as good. Someone rear ended up at the first corner and you all saw that mess, then I don't remember exactly what happened but I fell behind and didn't see many people. I overtook people who had spun out then they left I think. I decided to see how far I could get without pitting as I was so far behind, and actually overtook Dibbz near the end. Unfortunately he got bigger in my mirrors every lap and overtook easily.

Will definitely race again next week!

Angst

As we did the races back to back with reverse grid order I've decided to count the result from the Rome race as the overall results. (I forgot to take a snap shot of the Monaco results)

1. Gutterboy44
2. Niks
3. G Rom
4. Seattle6418
5. ashk
6. Angst
7. Dibbz
8. f0rk
9. Risk Breaker

PAL Replays:

Some pics from the first lap at Monaco:

The grid:

Niks drifting:

Angst said:
As we did the races back to back with reverse grid order I've decided to count the result from the Rome race as the overall results.

As you can tell by the lack of names in there that doesn't make much sense :p

Dibbz

Oh my god Monaco was some of the best racing I've had online. Seriously everyone got of the grid fine gave each other space and there was plenty of battling going on.

Those pics look great. I totally forgot to save Monaco's replay but I look forward to Angst's upload so I can relive it :D

Rome was good but man I span out and that was it everyone blasted passed me. Didn't help I didn't even practice this track but hey that's my own fault. Great stuff again this weekend. Look forward to more pics and of course next weeks race :D

Niks

Congrats to gutterboy, that was impressive.

Getting pole in the dying secs of quali and a 4th place in monaco was a surprise, since my car ate the tires for breakfast (DS3). Watching the monaco replay was awesome so many good battles.

Rome was fun, but reverse grid clearly didnt worked out!!
Man, that was some crash.. there was a wall of smoke, zero visibility, no where to go.

------------------------------

In my opinion, if by leaving damage to light we continue to have 10+ car grids, Im all for it.
Sure, sometimes there were some rough moves, and some divebombs here and there... but all in all it was a ton of fun.

My 2 cents.

f0rk

Dibbz said:
Rome was good but man I span out and that was it everyone blasted passed me.

If it makes you feel better it made my race more interesting because I actually got to see someone else for the last half of the race :D

f0rk said:
Will definitely race again next week!

Watching the Rome replay now, it was chimilosky who bumped into your rear in the first turn and killed the race for all the people caught in it. I think he was also the one who divebombed on me in the first Madrid bonus race (thankfully we restarted that one but I got fucked again) so sorry G Rom, that wasn't your fault, I thought there was only one black car in the race.

A lot of people definitely just need more experience because racing in a pack is never easy and you have to learn how to behave and it would be GREAT if they joined the mid-week practice sessions and races. I think it was mandatory in the Super GT League actually?

For example, watching the Rome replay, ashk, Niks and I did the whole straight and first turns at more than 200km/h in lap 2 with less than 2 meters distance between us and guess what, everything went fine - until I misscalculated the hairpin and went straight to the wall but even then we didn't crash. It's not easy to learn how to respect other drivers' "space" and being aggressive without being an ass, but when you do, you can have the awesomest races. Of course you can always fuck up here and there and there is fun in that but when it happens twice in 3 laps (Rome 1st and 3rd (chim sliding all over the place and you sandwiching FASJ against the wall and me eating the resulting wreck) lap) and you get caught when you have nothing to do with it and it's terribly frustrating.

Sooo.. I'm really glad you want to participate in the next race because I think you can be quite fast and a full grid is very fun but it'd be great if we could do some practice races midweek.

Angst

Metalmurphy said:
As you can tell by the lack of names in there that doesn't make much sense :p
You're right. Why are there only 9 in toxa's pic? I know some dropped out, but surely not that many?

Dibbz said:
Oh my god Monaco was some of the best racing I've had online. Seriously everyone got of the grid fine gave each other space and there was plenty of battling going on.

Those pics look great. I totally forgot to save Monaco's replay but I look forward to Angst's upload so I can relive it :D

Rome was good but man I span out and that was it everyone blasted passed me. Didn't help I didn't even practice this track but hey that's my own fault. Great stuff again this weekend. Look forward to more pics and of course next weeks race :D

I've uploaded them: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28857459&postcount=927

Hey, watching my Monaco replay right now I've noticed that my car sounds different than the others. It sounds "cleaner", like it has a really "lite" and silent exhaust. In comparison, it sounds like the rest of you have a sports or racing exhaust (which you obviously don't), what is up with that? It's sounded like this since the day I bought it (like, 5 days ago).

I'm trying it now and it still sounds like that, wth? Almost like it has a turbo. It has that famous "Skyline whine/vacuum cleaner" sound. I know there are some glitches in some cars with the sound, maybe that's what happened. And I had been wondering all the time why did someone say that the car sounds great, haha.

Risk Breaker said:
Hey, watching my Monaco replay right now I've noticed that my car sounds different than the others. It sounds "cleaner", like it has a really "lite" and silent exhaust. In comparison, it sounds like the rest of you have a sports or racing exhaust (which you obviously don't), what is up with that? It's sounded like this since the day I bought it (like, 5 days ago).

I'm trying it now and it still sounds like that, wth? Almost like it has a turbo. It has that famous "Skyline whine/vacuum cleaner" sound. I know there are some glitches in some cars with the sound, maybe that's what happened. And I had been wondering all the time why did someone say that the car sounds great, haha.

Actually I'm pretty sure some did. In Monaco I couldn't keep up with some cars even though I was using their slipstream and they had none. Pretty sure some cars were tuned then limited, which we werent supposed to do...

I asked this after the race, no one replied so I took it as a Yes :p

Metalmurphy said:
Actually I'm pretty sure some did. In Monaco I couldn't keep up with some cars even though I was using their slipstream and they had none. Pretty sure some cars were tuned then limited, which we werent supposed to do...

I asked this after the race, no one replied so I took it as a Yes :p

Yeah I read you on the chat but didn't have time to answer. Personally all I did was the oil change. And even after that I had limited my car to 344BHP (the default power, from memory) for the practise because I thought we were going to race with the original power, not the oil'd one. Did you change your oil? I thankfully noticed that I was 10BHP below the limit before qualification started. But I also kinda felt like the slipstream wasn't very useful for me in this race. Maybe it was the gearing, I don't know. I think I was doing about 180km/h before breaking into the tunnel chicane and barely used my 5th gear.

ashk

Didn't see you mentioning this after the race MM, but I only did a oil change + some engine break-in and I was 3-4 bhp over the limit so I had to reduce it a bit (to 355).

G Rom

Same here, I changed the oil before the race because I had practiced a lot this week but other than that, no engine upgrades at all.
I did notice the different engine sounds too.

Anyway, some photos of Madrid and Rome and from a practice session in Monaco :

The car of the person who saved the replay will sound different but the rest of the pack should sound the same. In my replay only MM's car sounded different aside from my own since it is my replay file.

The draft is almost non existent with a slower car like this at a track like Monaco. The reason people were going faster up the hill is that they probably got better corner exit, put the power down better, or had better gear ratios.

The reason I wanted to race this car is because it rewards smooth driving, accurate racing line and tire management. I tend to conserve tires well and it is pointless when we have mandatory stops so I was glad to see it finally pay off. I was no where near fastest at Monaco and Seattle may have won if he didn't pit. Need to see his tire condition before he pitted to guess how it could have finished. At Rome, same thing, just drove clean while I was learning the track and I took a better, less "slidy" line through the last few corners to get a good launch on the straight. I noticed a lot of people shredding their tires on that final section as well as scrubbing of precious corner exit speed for the longest straight on the track ( the corner that leads to the longest straight is the most important corner on any track. If it is an uphill section, this is amplified further, think Begwerk at the Ring)

Not to mention I didn't have the fastest lap on either track! It kind of pisses me off that I finally had my best two races ever and some people want to cry foul. I bought a brand new 512 for this race (I now own 6) changed the oil and purchased all non PP upgrades (I did not buy chasis rigidity either. Some people claim it is an enhancement). I would lower my engine % to the race regulations since the break in puts it over 355.

A forward brake bias, tuned suspension, basic gear ratio adjustment, and a love for this car are the only things I had for those races. I'll gladly gift my car as evidence to someone if it comes to it. Just give her back, she is my trophy now.

I really like the single make races and the lower PP cars with the sport tires are a ton of fun. That was some of the most exciting racing in GT5 to date. I will post pics and do some video cap later.

Cheers to all who participated!

Angst

I definitely don't cry foul Gutterboy. I watched both replays again and during Monaco my car is the only car with a different sound, but at Rome MM's Ferrari sounds like a turbocharged 4-cylinder... So something's up with the engine sounds and there most likely was no foul play involved.

I think if people buy a racing exhaust, but use the standard exhaust it might give a different sound as well.

I didn't much like light damage - people were too careless. But I think a race at Monaco with heavy damage would have been really frustrating, same with Rome. Next week will probably be light damage again though. Not sure yet.

Did you guys like doing two races back to back or should next week be one 60-70 minutes race instead?

For next week's car selection here are the cars to pick from:

Click images for larger pic.

The car will be used as "stock". Meaning racing modified and then all non-PP enhancing upgrades are allowed.

I haven't decided on a track yet.

Angst said:
I definitely don't cry foul Gutterboy. I watched both replays again and during Monaco my car is the only car with a different sound, but at Rome MM's Ferrari sounds like a turbocharged 4-cylinder... So something's up with the engine sounds and there most likely was no foul play involved.

That's because I tuned it after the Monaco race for obvious reasons. I also messed up the setup >.<

Also, my vote:

n461Ql.jpg

:drool:

G Rom said:
Fixed, just for you Metalmurphy !
lol.gif

[]http://i.imgur.com/3xbc6.jpg[/IMG]

[]http://i.imgur.com/u3D21.jpg[/IMG]

BTW, the color of your car was an official one ? It looks nice during replay and in photos.

I forgot it in my last post but here's the link to my Flickr set. I didn't post all of the photo here.

LOL, I like how you added photoshop effects to the first one to look like it's behind the windscreen.

And yeah it's an official color. I was going for orange but Angst was already using it.

gutterboy44 said:
The reason people were going faster up the hill is that they probably got better corner exit, put the power down better, or had better gear ratios.
Man sometimes I had perfect apexes, and perfect throttle control, no wheel spin what so ever, out of the corner to the tunnel and the and to Beau Rivage and I would still get slightly outpaced. The only time I didn't was when the car infront (cant remember who atm) had noticeable wheel spin after the corner.

gutterboy44 said:
Not to mention I didn't have the fastest lap on either track! It kind of pisses me off that I finally had my best two races ever and some people want to cry foul. I bought a brand new 512 for this race (I now own 6) changed the oil and purchased all non PP upgrades (I did not buy chasis rigidity either. Some people claim it is an enhancement). I would lower my engine % to the race regulations since the break in puts it over 355.
I wasn't talking about you bro :p Didn't even see you the entire race.

Angst said:
Did you guys like doing two races back to back or should next week be one 60-70 minutes race instead?
2 30 Min races but still do 10 min qualifying for each.

Niks

Awesome RM one make race!!
My vote goes to the SILVIA RM

But I would be fine with either the golf, integra or civic.

I liked the 2 race format, but no reverse grid...however many people didnt get a chance to practice Rome, and it showed. Maybe we should stick to just one so that people with limited time can just focus on one track?

f0rk

Great I really like the basic RMs. I'll mess around to find a favourite tonight.

EDIT: Given the 'theme' of the cars to choose from, why not the Suburu Impreza Sedan RM?

5873151798_afd4c74f14_b.jpg

I think I've find my problem, I'm going the wrong way!

Angst

My vote goes to the Dodge Challenger. Just listen to dat engine roar :p Everyone needs to try the RM Dodge

Niks said:
I liked the 2 race format, but no reverse grid...however many people didnt get a chance to practice Rome, and it showed. Maybe we should stick to just one so that people with limited time can just focus on one track?

Yeah, I agree. I think it was cool to race on two tracks and nice with a short break in between, but it's pretty hard to practice on two tracks instead of just one.

Btw, my replay of Rome is borked. I see 12 cars at the start, but halfway through the race there are only 9 cars left. MM is among the racers missing, and I'm pretty sure you stayed until the end?

ashk

Rome was sort of a short notice change, maybe that contributed to people not practicing (at least it did for me). But I did like doing two races back to back with the second being reversed grid, so if people are having problems with two tracks we could at least do two races on the same track.

Regarding the car choice, does "stock" include tyres as well? (I think it's racing hard for all RM'd cars, but I'm not sure) Anyway my vote would go to any FF car, I think it's time to try a front-wheel drive race as we haven't done any yet.

I was actually surprised that I was the only one who had my Ferrari in the correct colour :p

Angst

I think some of the RM'ed cars are on Sports Hard, but depending on the car chosen I'll pick a compound. It won't be Racing Soft, that's for sure.

Car voting will be open until Monday 0:00 CET, I'll count the votes then and post an OP with full details.

Top Bottom