• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Super GT League Season 2 - Vorsicht statt nachsicht

ashk

I just bought and modified the cars and there's something that's bothering me. The Mitsubishi can't reach 385 BHP with the parts you specified, and even if you put a Racing Air Filter it only goes up to 383. The Subaru on the other hand goes all the way up to 389. Is that intended?

Angst

I've done some testing with both the cars on the Ring and my lap times are within 1-2 seconds of each other. Yeah, the Lancer has "only" 383 BHP with the upgrades, but with break-in it will go way beyond that. Everybody, please do a couple of laps on the Ring with each car and see what times you get. If there is a big difference we will go with a one-make instead. :/
Mush said:
I'm not doubting you Angst or anything, but as I'm sure you're aware, one model is a Rally Car and the other is based off a Time Attack circuit car. Have you tested the performance differences between the two (if there are any)?
Yeah, I've tested them. With the Subaru I find that I can go faster through corners, but the top speed is higher with the Mitsubishi. Of course, the Ring is perhaps not the optimal track to test on as doing two exactly the same laps is pretty hard.

Pardon my ignorance though, but I thought the GSR (Grand Sport Rally) and the Subaru with it's rally roots were both based on rally cars? :p

Of course the two cars are different, but they are also very much alike and when motoring programs on the telly test the Evo they almost always test it against the Impreza and vice versa. There is even a trophy in GT5 called "Arch Rivals"...

ashk

OK, I was just wondering if I missed something. I'll do some laps on a shorter circuit a bit later and see what I get.

Angst

Sounds good ashk.

If there is a big difference I won't stubbornly stick to the two-make format. If it's a 0.5 second difference on GVE though I don't think it matters, but maybe that's wrong?

Btw, is there really that much of a difference with 2 BHP though? When we did all the testing for the NRL we could pull of faster lap times in some cars with 100 kg more weight than with cars exactly on the right weight.

ashk

So I did some testing and the short version is Angst is right about everything :)

The longer version: I did 5 laps with each car around Grand Valley East to get a feel for them (I reduced the Subaru's BHP to 383 and increased weight to 1080kg) and the difference there was 3-4 tenths. Then I did 2 laps on the Nordschleife with each car (out lap + 1 timed lap) and the difference was 3 seconds. I felt I got a pretty decent lap with each car, they're not that hard to drive and easy to push.

Angst

ashk said:
So I did some testing and the short version is Angst is right about everything :)

The longer version: I did 5 laps with each car around Grand Valley East to get a feel for them (I reduced the Subaru's BHP to 383 and increased weight to 1080kg) and the difference there was 3-4 tenths. Then I did 2 laps on the Nordschleife with each car (out lap + 1 timed lap) and the difference was 3 seconds. I felt I got a pretty decent lap with each car, they're not that hard to drive and easy to push.
:)

And it also comes down to what car you're most comfortable with as they have some differences in how they behave.

MikeDub said:
Seattle mate, you must be an encyclopaedia of Formula 1 knowledge to just pull that out as a suitable example.

haha, to give another one, i´ll say i´ve been running like Nigel Mansell these last couple of weeks.

Fast lap
crash
fast lap
spin
fast lap
off track

And i´ve been whining a bit just like he did. No excuses this week, the cars look awesome and the track is great.

Angst

I'll be in the lounge in one hour for practice. Everybody is welcome to join of course.

We already have 13 cars on the grid and hopefully we can get a full grid this week.

Regarding the car, when you make a decision it would be cool if you posted a pic here. You don't have to make a decision until qualification start of you can't make up your mind.

f0rk

Angst said:
Regarding the car, when you make a decision it would be cool if you posted a pic here. You don't have to make a decision until qualification start of you can't make up your mind.

I'll cook something to eat then join you.
Tried both cars before stealing a tune, the Suburu drives better but the cockpit view is horrible, can't see anything when you're going down hill.

Idiot question - how do you transfer the photos from the ps3?

Angst

Select one or more photos in GT5 (Use L1 to select multiple). Press triangle and then pick the export option. Quit GT5 and go to your photos on the XMB, copy them to an external HDD or USB stick. Then upload them somewhere, preferably imgur.com. Do NOT use imageshack.

Ardenyal

alternatively you could upload your photos to picasa straight from the ps3 with the photo gallery program. No need for USB stick / external drive that way and you dont need to resize the photos on your computer (in the link you get from the site replace .../s800/blah/yourpic.jpg with the desired horizontal width in pixels)

Ardenyal

Ark said:
What settings did you use to get that? o_o
Exposure 1 / 60 sec
Aperture 8.0
Focal length 49mm
Panning mode 3... (still need to figure out what the heck panning mode 2 does, seems so random as some photos come out with blurry BG and car and sometimes it eliminates all motion blur..)

Angst said:
Speaking of the Ring and dusk... There are still 3 spots on the grid for Saturday. You in?
Sure, im in.

Angst

seattle6418 said:
I´ll check with EFJ1 tonight to see his status. Chimilosky´s account was activated, but EFJ1´s was not.
Let me know if he's in and I'll add him. Only two spots left. UFRA and MM won't be joining us sadly.

I've changed the race start time. The headlights on the Evo are worse than on the Impreza and I don't want everybody to forsake it just because of that. Race finish will now be just before full dark.

One more thing: I forgot something after the Autumn Ring race. F0rk and gynoug79 were basically running the whole race side by side, with no major bumps at all. I was amazed that you guys managed to run that close for such a long time without any crashes or spins. Very nice and disciplined driving guys! And even though you both finished the podium looks you both had an awesome race.

Remember that everyone - you can have an awesome race battling for 8th or 9th, it's not just the podium that counts. (I have no hopes of a podium finish myself, but still have loads of fun).

MikeDub said:
Are we going to make it an even split between the two cars? A big team race could be pretty cool.
If possible, that would be nice. But I'm not going to tell anyone what car they should use. It would suck if all but one was in the same car though, so if you can't decide which car you want - pick the one with least other drivers.

I haven't decided myself yet... they both have their different ups and downs.

That reminds me, start posting the car you've picked (once you've picked one)

f0rk

Yeah it was great. Gynoug was chasing Docretes when I caught up iirc, then I got in the middle. Gynoug and I pitted together around lap 16 before Docretes, and must have been together the whole of the rest of the race. I could never pull away when in front. I actually had a question about the first corner of the last lap, gynoug overtook me and we had a little bump. I didn't think it was a bad play at all, but he either made a mistake right after or let me overtake again. I didn't think there was anything wrong and he was being extremely generous, would like to know others thoughts because I may have overtaken like that before.

Me and G-Rom were running tight for the last few laps of GVS as well but as my tyres were going I went wide after turn 2 and lost it.

Ark

Ardenyal said:
Exposure 1 / 60 sec
Aperture 8.0
Focal length 49mm
Panning mode 3... (still need to figure out what the heck panning mode 2 does, seems so random as some photos come out with blurry BG and car and sometimes it eliminates all motion blur..)

Thanks, I'll have to try these :)

Dead Man

Registering as a very tentative reserve if needed. I make no guarantee I can get up at 5 am!! But the race sounds fun as hell.

Angst

Dead Man said:
Registering as a very tentative reserve if needed. I make no guarantee I can get up at 5 am!! But the race sounds fun as hell.
Done.

Juicy Bob joined us last race, so now it's your time to represent the other side of the world ;)

Put me down as a reserve. Although I'm still undecided as to what car I'm going to choose.

5906142468_2ca5041980_z_d.jpg

5906142462_64a3d93aa7_z_d.jpg

5906142452_fbd421fd33_z_d.jpg

5905579433_485d076993_z_d.jpg

5905579425_02af094179_z_d.jpg

5905579417_d8cc916045_z_d.jpg

5905579403_8ed399bb71_z_d.jpg

5905579395_4f5ed9d749_z_d.jpg

Gynoug79

@f0rk and Angst:

thx and yeah it was a brilliant race, i love to race that way and think that light damage ruins the dicsipline for the most part. I know that i could make myself much wider through the turns and block the inside line but that asks for knowing the driving style of you others and as i am a newcomer here i better play it safe.
Concerning the last lap f0rk, i cant remember exactly but I think I pretty much cut the first corner of that tripple chicane with all four tyres and feared overshooting into you. Where i usually race that would have been a penalty for sure so i cut back....Hoping i could use the draft on the final straight to overtake you again.....which didnt work out. Which i dont mind at all because i got my fix and had that happy and content grin sitting in my face for the rest of the eveneing ! Thx !

Tried both cars last night.

I don´t have even the slightest doubt of which car i will use. It just feels much, much better for my driving style.

Are we already revealing cars? Or is it still a secret?

EFJ1 will be finishing his DTM championship over at GTP, so he won´t make it as a reserve.

This time i expect people to show up. Last week we were supposed to have 16 players but instead we got 13 and 12.

Angst

Well, sometimes things happen in life that has to take precedence over GT5. The three that didn't show up has either PMed me or posted their apologies here, so I don't feel upset over it at all. I only get annoyed if people say that they will join and then never, ever do it and don't even bother to post some excuse.

On that note, if you are on the grid and know for a fact that you can't make it, please let me know in advance so we can move up the reserves. Kind of hard to motivate people on the reserve list to practice if they don't know that they will get to race.

ashk

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the LSD instead of the AYC on the Evo? By default it uses the AYC, so I had to go to the tuning shop and buy an LSD for it as it didn't show up in the car settings menu. But it's still not there even though the tuning shop menu says it's fitted. I hope I'm making some sense here :p

Dead Man

I think I am out. Red/green flashing lights when I try to turn on my PS3. Not overheating, it's doing it when I try to turn it on cold. I've taken it apart as far as I feel comfortable, I'll clean out the dust and see how it goes tomorrow.

Dead Man said:
I think I am out. Red/green flashing lights when I try to turn on my PS3. Not overheating, it's doing it when I try to turn it on cold. I've taken it apart as far as I feel comfortable, I'll clean out the dust and see how it goes tomorrow.
Good luck. When my 60g ps3 died last year I was lost for a little while. My new slim still doesn't feel as if I own it.

f0rk

ashk said:
Does anyone know if it's possible to use the LSD instead of the AYC on the Evo? By default it uses the AYC, so I had to go to the tuning shop and buy an LSD for it as it didn't show up in the car settings menu. But it's still not there even though the tuning shop menu says it's fitted. I hope I'm making some sense here :p

Can't work this out either.

Angst

@Dead Man: damn that's a shame. Hope it gets sorted out. I'll keep you on the reserve list for now.

@ashk: I had to buy a second LSD and then equip that one to be able to use LSD settings. I can use AYW as well simultaneously. Let me check again to make sure.

*EDIT* turns out I was wrong. LSD doesn't show up in the settings. Weird?

ashk said:

Had the same problem.

Will check the tuning options tonight.

However, what i would like to see on this Lancer is a torque split adjustment, because the car feel and behaves like an FF car. It has 62% of the weight up front, and without adjustments, it just eats front tires.

Angst

I have no problems adjusting the torque split. LSD is the only thing missing. I did have to pick up a new torque distribution whatever first.

Heading to the lounge now.

ashk

I did a quick search on gtplanet.net and from what I could gather the LSD is missing on all Evos even if it is possible to buy it. It also seems this glitch was introduced in one of the patches.

Angst

Picture time (and no, I haven't decided on the Impreza). Click for 1080p.

And this last picture got me thinking, is this a rule we should try to stick to on the Ring?

Not the oil spill, but rather the "Overtaking on left side". Would this be possible as a Ring-only rule? The big text on top definitely applies! Something like - "Carefulness, not hindsight" or so in English.

ashk

The overtake-on-the-left rule only applies to track days, during a race it's business as usual. If there was such a rule everyone would stick to the left side of the track so they can't be overtaken :p

Dibbz

Nice pictures angst.

I love Track Days. I just spent most of my evening racing at the ring with real time, time (lol you get me?)

It's just a great experience when you are trying to work out your car and there are other guys racing or just driving on the track. I do wish the PD add a real track day option to GT6 though. Something like you select a track in practice mode and you get the option to go online or stay offline. If you choose online you get put onto the track with real time weather and time that is currently on that track as well as other people who are practicing.

Enough of that I've got a nice video of me racing my brother at the track day today. I had the Subaru RM'd and he had the Evo RM'd. I'll post it later.

Top Bottom